eastmoreland's profile

Contributor

• 

121 Messages

Sunday, October 3rd, 2021 6:15 PM

Closed

Smart Resume not working correctly

For the last week or so on my X1, the Smart Resume feature has started to resume too soon.  That is, when a commercial starts and I hit fast forward, the fast forwarding stops somewhere between 30 seconds and 90 seconds before the program starts playing again.  So I'm forced to watch at least one commercial before the program starts, unless I manually skip or fast-forward through them.

When I look at the blue and yellow bar indicating where the smart resume window is in the programming stream, it actually looks like the whole smart resume window is skewed about 30-90 seconds early.  That is, the yellow part starts before the commercials start, and the yellow part ends before the commercials end.

Anyone else notice this problem?  I haven't actually reported this to Xfinity Support, but I hope someone might be monitoring this and could address this if it is a general problem.

Contributor

• 

387 Messages

3 years ago

I have only seen this on Discovery channel recordings like Gold Rush or Deadliest catch. I just hit the 30 second skip and it is fine.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@dcfox​ what is the 30 second skip??

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Yes I was also having this problem.   Xfinity Support was unable to help.  Some didn’t understand what “Smart Resume” was.   I finally scheduled a tech visit.    I was upgraded with the current modem and DVR box.  Not only does it work, but it works better than before.    You can just exchange equipment at the store.    

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@user_56b02b

It is not an "equipment" issue, but a software issue that needs to get addressed for older boxes. 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

I’ve been struggling with this for over a year now.  Phone and on-line techs didn’t even know what the feature was/is.   I did have some success by exchanging my box, but that was temporary.  I exchanged the box again and it worked for one day.  In addition, since it was a refurbished box, I started getting recordings for shows I’ve never watched.   I exchanged my box again, no luck.  I’ve given up.  For the cost it seems like Comcast could make some effort to correct.  Very frustrating.  

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

3 years ago

Hi, @eastmoreland. Thanks for letting us know about your smart resume issue. It is an awesome feature and I use it all the time myself. Does it happen on all recordings with smart resume? Do you have any new recorded programs to test? I did not find anything in our known issues so it may be isolated to your account/address. I did have it happen once missed and found out the timings were not relayed correctly for it, but that was just for one program. 

Contributor

• 

121 Messages

@XfinityEthan  Thanks for responding.  I recorded a few programs last night and all of them had the same issue.  It didn't seem to be TV network specific, since I had the same issue on NBC, ABC, and FOX programs.  In all cases, the Smart Resume feature resumes between 30 and 45 seconds ahead of where it should.  I've had issues in the past where one particular program got all screwed up with the resume window all out of whack, but the current issue has been consistent on every recording for the past week or so, all of them off by about the same amount.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Thanks for the details. I checked your area and premise signals and the only issue I can find is there is a signal out of spec with the upstream power. Do you notice anything else such as slow response Tv box/guide or any home internet issues? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

121 Messages

I haven't noticed any home internet issues.  But there are slow response issues with the TV box lately.  When watching recorded programs, skipping ahead causes the picture to freeze for a moment (not the audio, just the picture) before it skips to where it is supposed to go.  I use the 30-second skip feature when watching college football games I have recorded.  i.e. Watch a play, skip 30 seconds, watch the next play, skip, etc.  If the teams get to the line of scrimmage slowly enough, you can see every play of the game in less than 60 minutes.  But lately, skipping ahead causes this video freeze for a second or two, which is frustrating and often causes me to miss the start of the play.  This is particularly noticeable and worse (more delay) if the end of the game is still being recorded when I start the playback.   This problem is also something that only started lately.

There are also occasional box freezes where nothing happens when you try to do something, like go to the list of recordings.  Waiting a while (a minute or two) usually fixes things.  But pressing more buttons usually causes the box to display a message (can't remember exact language) effectively saying "wait a minute" with three dots bouncing around, or occasionally "you don't have internet," which isn't true because the internet is still working.

Official Employee

• 

4K Messages

We certainly appreciate this information. We will want to take a deeper dive into the box and the signal to see if anything stands out to us. Can you please click the Direct Message icon at the top right of the page, click on the pen and pad icon and enter Xfinity Support in the "To" section of the chat and provide us with your first/last name and full address so we may further assist you?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

56 Messages

I’ve got the same timing issue with Smart Resume that eastmoreland eloquently stated.  It’s not limited to one channel or program; it happens on all recordings in which smart resume appears.  It’s been happening for about 3 months.  I usually mumble under my breath and use the remote to ‘manually’ fast forward the 1-2 minutes into the blue part of the bar graph that Smart Resume thinks is programming but is actually still tv ads.  I’ve unplugged and reset and changed batteries, to no avail.  And to answer the question you asked eastmoreland, yes, we have noticed significant lag/response delay when pressing any button on the remote.  Again, it’s not channel specific. The lag time between pressing a button on the remote or speaking a command into the remote and getting the DVR to respond is anywhere from 2 to several seconds.

(edited)

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have noticed the same issue described here. Smart Resume returns to the recording before the last commercial ends so I have to manually fast forward to where the programming starts. I was just searching here to see if others were having the same problem. I have also noticed more frequent, but intermittent, loss of signal when changing channels. No noticeable pattern and it usually corrects itself within a few minutes. 

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@DB98372 

It is not an "equipment" issue, but a software issue that needs to get addressed for older boxes. 

Visitor

• 

32 Messages

3 years ago

I have the same issue (i.e. smart resume ends anywhere from 20 to 40 seconds too early).  I've also noticed that when you select smart resume, the indicator is already into the yellow by about the same amount of time.  It started approximately 2 to 3 months ago.  I live in Vancouver, Washington if that helps.  Was there a system upgrade around this time frame that changed the timing?  It is somewhat frustrating.  As other users mentioned, you either have to watch unwanted commercials or fast forward 20 to 30 seconds at the end of smart resume.  We would all appreciated it if this could get some attention; and hopefully, fixed.  Thanks!

Contributor

• 

121 Messages

@JP98683 I live in Portland, OR, so that makes sense if our whole region is experiencing the same problem.  @XfinityMichaelC asked me to message my info to Support so that they could look into the problem further.  But I haven't heard anything back from them yet.  And I don't think the problem is fixed yet, though I haven't watched a new recording today (too busy with baseball playoffs).

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

We'd be happy to continue investigating, @eastmoreland. When you have a moment, please check the recordings and let us know if there's any change on your end. 

Contributor

• 

56 Messages

I’m in Portland as well.  Just FYI.

Contributor

• 

121 Messages

@XfinityChe No change on my recordings.  The newer ones still exhibit the same issue.  

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@eastmoreland​ I’m in Houston, Tx and can assure you it is not only your area but ours as well. I believe it is a software issue in the Smart Resume fix and as someone noted earlier probably caused during an update

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Hi there

I too am having this same issue for awhile; and am in Vancouver WA. Is there a fix? 
The commercials seem to be for network TV shows, so I thought it was on purpose?

Visitor

• 

32 Messages

Thus far Xfinity has not responded to a cause or solution of the issue.  One thing I did do was go into settings and toggle the smart resume (i.e. turn it off and then back on).  This seemed to help on some more recent recordings but I can't tell for sure if it actually fixed anything.  I may have just been viewing a program where the issue wasn't as pronounced.  I'll wait a while to see if the toggle actually resolved anything.  My suspicion is that Xfinity did an update to their software and it threw off the timing on the smart resume feature.  This issue only surfaced about 2 to 3 months ago on my system.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Thank you so much @JP98683 for letting us know these details! If you are still running into this issue after you get a chance to check please send us a message so I can help!

To send our team a private message with your full name, the name listed on the account (if different), and the service address associated with your account, I'd be more than happy to look into this for you.

To send a Private Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live chat.

Contributor

• 

121 Messages

I toggled the Smart Resume feature.  I also did a System Refresh.  Neither of these things seemed to affect the problem.  But what I don't know is whether a solution to the problem will correct already recorded programs, or just programs that get recorded after a fix is put in place. 

Problem Solver

• 

909 Messages

Recorded programs would not be corrected unfortunately, only new recordings. Are you able to test out a new recording? 

Contributor

• 

121 Messages

New recordings still have the same problem.  

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

I have the same two problems mentioned here: smart resume issue and slow remote response time. I live in Kingston WA, so not just happening in Portland. 

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

Hi user_b2c747, it sounds like you're having some RF signal issues that needs to be resolved. The good thing is you've come to the right place for assistance. Please send us a private message with your full name and street address so and we can look into this for you. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Same problem in Nine Mile Falls WA.  How do I get  help to fix this?

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Hey there, what troubleshooting steps have you already taken to resolve this?

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

We had this smart resume issue. We swapped out our Xfinity box and the problem went away. 

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Problem came back. Box switch DID NOT WORK after all. I spoke too soon. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

We have had the same issue for the last few months. We are located in SE Portland OR. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Same problems here in Black Diamond WA

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am having the same problem here in Black Diamond WA. The smart resume is off on both sides bye about 30 seconds, starting late and ending early.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello everyone and thank you for reaching out to us via our forums. Having issues with your Smart Resume or any feature with your X1 TV would be frustrating and never something we want any of our family to deal with. I know if I was having issues with my service I would be reaching out too! 

You have come to the correct place for help. By any chance have you done any self troubleshooting with our wonderful Xfinity App, restarted your equipment or any other steps to try and resolve this issue? 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

I’ve toggled smart resume, done a system refresh, rebooted…nothing has changed the issue on new recordings.

Contributor

• 

56 Messages

Hi, XfinityPeterH - yes, to-wit: (1) battery changes in remotes (although batteries were still at 60% & 78% respectively); (2) performed system restarts and system refreshes, although not through the Xfinity app. Why would using the app to restart/refresh make a difference?; (3) actually unplugged both DVRs from their outlets, waited for a few minutes, then plugged them back in.  
RESULTS: System restart/refresh doesn’t affect the smart resume timing problem of resuming about 30 seconds to a couple of minutes too early.  So it ‘resumes’ during a commercial so that I’m forced to manually fast forward that couple of minutes to the point where the ad ends and the tv show begins. Toggling the smart resume off and on in the settings options does nothing.

Restart/refresh does seem to make both DVRs more responsive to their remotes for a few hours.  In other words, the lag time between pressing a button on the remote and seeing the DVR respond to that command is not as long after a system restart or refresh. The shorter lag time is only temporary, and within a few days it’s back up to a few seconds of delay.  Aggravating to be sure, but I/we appreciate your willingness to help!

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello @user_86c368, thank you for reaching out to us on our community forums. Providing what steps you've already tried really helps us too! Could you please send our team a private message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

Contributor

• 

408 Messages

3 years ago

Having problems with fast-forwarding in Southwest Florida also notice that the remote and box are very slow to respond lately

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hi @Laurie! Can you direct message us your name and address, please? Make sure you are signed in with your Xfinity credentials.

1. In the top right corner, you'll see a little chat icon near the bell icon. Click the direct message icon
  2. Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  3. In the 'To' line, type "Xfinity Support" there. A drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list (an "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line)
  4. Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  5. Press Enter to send it. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. Thanks!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Same problem here. It seems to stop exactly one commercial early, almost as though the last one before the show restarts is getting special treatment. To make it extra annoying, it rewinds before the end of the yellow bar - so in order to manually fast forward, I have to wait until it re-passes the incorrect stop point.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello @sluzynsk. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us through Forums and letting us know you're experiencing issues with the Smart Resume feature. Have you done any troubleshooting steps to attempt and get this resolved? 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@sluzynsk​ Ditto!   In Atlanta area.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

same problem in Portland for about 2 weeks.

Official Employee

• 

974 Messages

Hi, @user_f296fd, thank you for letting us know you are also experiencing an issues with your Smart Resume. Have you gone through any troubleshooting listed above or through our Xfinity apps? If so, have you seen any changes?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

We are in Bonney Lake, WA and having the same issue. At the direction of an Xfinity agent, toggled the smart resume feature (no change), did a system refresh (no change), repaired our remote (whatever that was supposed to do - no change) and swapped out our DVR unit - new recordings are still having the same issue with smart resume resuming too soon. Extremely frustrating because every time I talk to an Xfinity agent it is 1.5+ hours on the phone or in chat with no progress. They seem to have nothing on their "cheat sheets" to deal with this, including bumping it up to a higher tier support group to troubleshoot the issue. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

Hi b_laker, thank you for providing such great details about your experience. This sounds like an isolated issue with certain accounts, so I would like to take a further step to look into this for you. To get the ball rolling could you end us a private message with your full name and street address? 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

sounds to me like NOT isolated - I'm in Vancouver, WA - same issue - sounds localized to this region - I repeat NOT isolated - please have someone look into this

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Exactly the same problems others are reporting here in Salem, OR.  I am not interested in wasting MY time trying your guesses as to what a solution to this problem might be as I have not read any posts that indicate any proposed solutions have thus far worked.  Let us know when you actually have a viable solution.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

We appreciate your feedback, @user_56e731! We are aware of the issue and it is currently being worked on. As soon as we have an update we will communicate it. We thank you for your patience with us while we work towards a resolution.

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Yup,  I’m having the same problem. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here