rte3424's profile

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, January 27th, 2024 6:24 PM

Can't send email from outlook

Starting a couple days ago, Outlook stopped sending emails for my comcast.net account.  I can still receive emails.  I can also ping the port at smtp.comcast.net:465.  It seems my attempt to connect to the port is being rejected by the server.  Password is correct (am receiving emails).

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

4 months ago

And now, magically, it is all working correctly again.  

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

rte3424 We were aware of the issue affecting some customers, and had our engineering team working on it to get it fixed. Happy to hear you are back to being able to send emails again. Please let us know if there is anything more we can help you with at any time. 

(edited)

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

I'm back to not being able to send from outlook from my home network.  If I switch to my wifi hotspot, then sending works and I get no errors..

Official Employee

• 

790 Messages

Hi  @rte3424 Thanks for circling back with us about your outlook issue. Is it only Outlook with this issue? Are you able to log into your Xfinity email account and send/emails without an issue?

What is the error message you're seeing with outlook? 

(edited)

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 months ago

Can't send email through Outlook on Xfinity account.  Works at night then not during day.  Six straight days now!

13 Messages

I have the same problem, but it's not just Outlook. This also happens from the iPhone, Android/Samsung email client - any email client. You can go to the email website using a browser and can send and receive just fine. Starting about 8 am PST, emails just hang in Outbox or the email client returns an error. Around 4:30- 5 pm PST, suddenly the problem goes away and it's good until the next day. 

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

3 months ago

It is only outlook, and only if it is through my home network on all devices using outlook (e.g. my wife's laptop using her account with outlook).  If I connect my laptop to my phone hotspot, then it works.  I have a fixed IP for my ISP, and Comcast doesn't like something about it.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 months ago

I can log on to my Xfinity email account on line and can send emails without a problem.

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Me too, but I like Outlook.  The problem comes and goes and there is nothing I can do short of giving up the email address that I've had for over 20 years.

13 Messages

3 months ago

This is a problem at the comcast.net end. Any email client is affected. There appears to be an authentication problem when the email client goes to send an email (via port 465). Outlook reports a "connection to the server was interrupted" error. Android email client just reports "Couldn't send email". Another weird thing - I tried deleting my comcast.net account on my phone and re-adding it back in during the day when this problem was occurring. I couldn't add back the comcast.net account - some cryptic "server authentication" error. A few hours later in the evening, I could add in the account just fine and I could also send emails from my comcast.net account. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hi there @user_x92ka8. I am sorry to hear you are having troubles with our email through your Outlook application. You are in the right place and we are happy to assist you. Are you still having this issue? 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 months ago

Still can email during day, night works fine.  Going on a couple weeks now.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Good for you. I'm not so fortunate. Yesterday, at about 4 pm PT, the emails started flowing again from my comcast.net account. But this morning - no luck - back to "errors in sending email". I am convinced there's some kind of timer set for my comcast.net accounts - no outgoing emails from this guy's email clients using Spectrum internet between the hours of...6 am to 4 pm PT, maybe. Very frustrating.

1 Message

3 months ago

Same here! Incoming works fine out going mails do not from outlook. My phone, on xfinity web works just not outlook. Checked all ports for SMTP but still nada. Comcast at this funny games with smtp. Sounds like some one is messing with email setting at the company and not just coming clean admit fault and FIX IT!!

13 Messages

I'm convinced that comcast.net is rejecting email send requests from my network (Spectrum - the only choice in Palm Springs, CA) during certain times of the day. The ONLY time an email sits in my outbox, whether from Outlook on my Windows PC, or my phone using Android/Samsung email client, or our iPhone or iPad using some Apple email client, is when any of these devices are on our Spectrum ISP network - and then only at certain times of the day, like 7 am to 4 pm Pacific time. When any of these devices ae on any other network, the emails go thru just fine. This MUST be something in Comcast/Xfinity that is preventing email smtp send requests thru port 465 - but only at certain times of the day. Sorry I keep repeating myself, but this problem goes away around 4-5:00 pm Pacific time. I am at a loss as to what to do since comcast/Xfinity refuses to acknowledge an issue.

Official Employee

• 

244 Messages

Have you tried switching from port 465 to port 587? Our guidance online outlines 2 ports as the options for the configuration of outgoing mail to be set on. After reconfiguration, you'll need to update the encryption settings of your outgoing mail server from non-encrypted to encrypted settings. If you don't adjust your email settings, you'll still receive emails, but not be able to send emails after the non-encrypted email settings are blocked.

13 Messages

Hello - thanks, I did try to switch the port to 587 but it was during a period when I couldn't send emails, and I received an error. Today everything is working fine and I did not touch a thing.  My theory is that the anti-spam tools and processes Xfinity has in place may be responsible for preventing my emails from going out if it detects that the email send request is from the Spectrum network, which may be a network that has been identified as the sending network of spoofed spam emails. The Xfinity process stops emails from (my) comcast.net address from being sent, but only for some period of time. IN every case my email clients can start sending emails in the evening (Pacific time) - then the next morning, I can't send any emails again while on Spectrum network...until early evening.  But today is different - everything is working fine.

I'm not making this up ;-).

Any checking you could do to see if Xfinity is preventing emails during the day from being send using a cmcast.net address from Spectrum network would be helpful. Maybe my email address has been compromised in some way (I've changed the password many times) and Xfinity puts the brakes on outgoing emails.

5 Messages

I have the same problem. Exactly. The ability to send emails from Outlook, and sometimes from my iphone, goes in and out. I have a Spectrum network also, but have not had this problem in the past. It just started about 2 weeks ago. I have followed all of the advice above, and everything I can find to do on other sites, but am not able to fix this irritating issue. Is there an Xfinity tech support number for email malfunctions such as this?  

Thanks

5 Messages

@user_1ij10x​ 

The error message I receive on Outlook is 

- Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Error when sending from outlook

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

I have had a similar problem since last week. Still seem to be unable to send from my Exchange/Outlook account Comcast email.  When I couldn't send to Comcast email, I delayed writing a blog I send out once a month, because I thought it was a Microsoft and Apple problem. Did not realize it was related to Comcast. Have you found any way to correct this? I have been changing passwords, deleting and re-installing accounts all and talking to Apple and GoDaddy.com.  Please let me know if you have found a solution.  Thank you.

13 Messages

@Anon636749​ sadly, I have not found a solution other than to stop using comcast.net email addresses OR use another network - like my phone hotspot - so that I am not sending emails from my comcast.net email addresses from my Spectrum ISP network. This problem only happens when sending emails from any email client while on Spectrum's network using any of my comcast.net email addresses (we have 3). I am speculating that Xfinity's anti-spam tools are the culprit. Here's my theory - Xfinity is trying to detect patterns of spoofed emails using comcast.net addresses originating from certain networks, like Spectrum (or Charter). When Xfinity detects am email being sent via smtp.comcast.net, it prevents the request from the email client from getting thru to smtp.comcst.net because it thinks it's spam.

But - this only happens during the day. At night, without any configuration changes on the email client side, the emails start flowing again and all 3 email clients can send emails from their respective comcast.net emails - until the next morning.

I've been thru an exhaustive search for any problems on the Spectrum end and came up with nothing. we strongly believe this issue is on the Xfinity side when it detects emails being sent from Spectrum network. 

I would like to email you directly and compare notes to see if we can determine any more details, but unfortunately, I can't until tonight, when this problem disappears for the evening ;-). 

13 Messages

@Anon636749​ If you would be willing to trade messages directly, please email me at [Edited: "Personal Information"]. I can receive emails anytime during the day or night - I just can't send them during the day.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

819 Messages

@Anon636749 Please send me a DM with the email address you're having an issue with, and we'll take a look at the detailed logs.  Click on my name, and find the "three dot menu" and choose "Send Message".

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

I am having this as well Says your server does not support the encryption method.  Contact your mail server admin or ISP for additional assistance

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

I have found a work-around.  If I connect to my VPN service, then I am able to send from outlook using my comcast account.  Hopefully this thread keeps getting bigger and someone at Comcast will notice and look into it.

Official Employee

• 

819 Messages

@kvollman and @rte3424 Please send me a DM with your usernames.  Also, look at the note from user_x92ka8 below this.  A device with an old password may be having an impact here.  But please, send me a DM, and I can confirm this for you.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello @kvollman, thanks for reaching out to let us know that you are also having trouble sending mail from Outlook. If you haven't already, can you please try removing your comcast email from Outlook, and then re-add it by following the Outlook steps here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email. 

13 Messages

3 months ago

I have worked with XfinityAlex and have discovered my problem. This may not apply to others, but it might. In my case, we had a laptop on which we configured Windows Mail (not Outlook) with one of our 3 comcast.net email accounts. This was 18 months ago. The next day we installed Microsoft 365 and configured Outlook with the same email address. We never used Windows Mail again. A few weeks ago, one of our family members mistakenly brought up Windows Mail. This had an old, obsolete password for the comcast.net email address that was configured in it.  When he realized he meant to bring up Outlook instead of Windows Mail, he neglected to bring Windows Mail down. He's not good about powering down his computer, so for several weeks, Windows Mail has been trying to sign into comcast.net email with an 18-month-old password. Xfinity has rules that when there are too many failed signons to a comcast.net account, all the email address in that account, from that network, are disabled for a period of time. This is what was causing my inability to send emails from my other two comcast.net accounts but only from my home Spectrum ISP. Xfinity's rules are "Too many failed signon attempts from this account, from this particular network, and I'll suspend all the emails in that account from sending emails - for some period of time".
I suggested to Xfinity that they provide some kind of notification to the account owner when this situation happens, but I'm not sure what a reasonable notification approach might be - that's up to them.
In any case, my problem was a minimized Windows Mail email client trying continuously to sign on to a comcast.net account, failing, and Xfinity suspending my email sending ability for some number of hours because of that. Technically, my fault, and I am sufficiently contrite ;-) but it would have been good to have some notification from Xfinity that this was happening.
Good luck to the rest of you with this problem. I'd suggest you first look at any device that might have a comcast.net email account configured in an email client and make sure it's got updated credentials - or just remove the account if you are no longer using that email client.
And thank you @XfinityAlex for your patient help in resolving this issue for me.

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

That's not my issue.  I can receive all day, on all devices, I just can't always send.  Can't be the password because sometimes I can send, depending on the time of day or if I get off my home network.

13 Messages

Yes, those were my symptoms. In my case, though, I had the correct password in my "regular" email client (Outlook) but I had another email client (Windows Mail) that was running -unintentionally- and that email client did NOT have the correct password. That was the cause of my problem. Check all the devices that might have any of your comcast.net email addresses configured and make sure something is not running unintentionally that may have an old password configured. That could cause the send problem for all your other email clients on your "regular" network.

5 Messages

3 months ago

Thank you for relating this solution. I have tried it, and we'll see if it works. I deleted Microsoft Mail. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

Sad to report, everything was working normal for a week.  Now back to no outgoing mail can be sent during day. Ugh!

Official Employee

• 

819 Messages

@LR31​ Please send me a DM with your username.  We'll take a look at the detailed logs.

5 Messages

Same with me. It went back to normal and I thought this issue was solved. Unfortunately, I have the same issue. No email can be sent during the day.  

XfinityAlex, have you found any solution???

5 Messages

This is the error message I get.

Task  Sending' reported error (0x800CCC67) : '  The server responded: 421 resomta-c2p-555481.sys.comcast.net resomta-c2p-555481.sys.comcast.net Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available'

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 months ago

I'm not sure if it is because Apple came out with an update within the last few days or not. But suddenly I can send from Outlook (or 
Exchange) to Comcast and vice versa. Something changed, and I am happy about that. Just wanted to report back and say the problem seems to be solved.

Official Employee

• 

509 Messages

Anon636749 Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

I will try to direct message. Problem has come back and I can no longer send from Outlook to Comcast.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Account is  in my wife's name. And I don't know how to find DM.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@Anon636749 here is how you can send us a direct message. 

(Full credit to @BruceW for this excellent explanation!) 

"Search for Xfinity Support" won't work. To send a "Direct Messaging" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

See https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/cant-create-a-new-email-address/605e52b726aa974d63032d02?commentId=606107ea738c7f46a02b830e

2 Messages

1 month ago

Was experiencing this sending issue as well.  I was always able to receive in Outlook (windows PC), but not send.  Would receive the error messages that others have shared above (also see my screenshot below from the Outlook error).  When trying to update the outgoing port value in Outlook configurations, the change couldn't complete as it couldn't establish a secure connection.

I could both send and receive through Xfinity.com's web mail as well as my email client on iPhone.  Trying all the different work arounds and different ports mentioned above and in articles linked above didn't solve the issue, but I was able to find a solution that allowed sending to start working from Outlook on my PC.

I run Norton on my PC and the Norton VPN was set to auto-start and was running.  I tried turning off the VPN and then Outlook was able to complete the configuration and send email.  So, Xfinity is not liking something related to when the VPN is up and running.  VPN location is set to Auto, so not sure where Norton was connecting to, or if Xfinity isn't allowing the connection because something is hidden by the VPN tunnel that it wants to see/inspect or know before allowing the connection, but that was my solve.

(edited)

2 Messages

@magnuson_mn​ A quick add to my post above. Norton allows you to configure split tunneling for your VPN and add exclusions so that apps you specify won't go through the VPN.  So, I've configured Outlook.exe to be excluded from the VPN which allows me to have the VPN up for everything else.  In case that is helpful for anyone else.  

1 Message

12 days ago

no issues receiving emails on 365 but cannot send.  Just sits in drafts.  Have had to use another outlook email address to send anything.

Do we have a fix?

Thanks

Jim [Edit : Personal Information]

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

819 Messages

@user_0ozxjl​ This is from the O365 Webmail? or the Desktop Outlook?  There's no error given?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here