U

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, November 27th, 2021 6:26 PM

Closed

Sudden huge increase in internet data usage

I have been a Comcast/Xfinity customer for over 20 years. I got an alert this month that I’m exceeding my 1225GB plan. I’ve historically used 125-200GB. I haven’t been home much this month. What is happening?

Official Solution

Administrator

• 

660 Messages

3 years ago

All,

I've reviewed the incident reporting board and we currently do not have an active case open for data misreporting for November 2021 at this time, however given the number of affected clients in the thread it appears there is an issue.

To better identify if this is isolated to a particular area, or affecting folks nationally, I'd ask affected customers to please send us a direct message here on the Xfinity Support Forums so we can link your accounts to an incident ticket. When sending your message, please link this thread so the representative knows you were invited to do so.

To send a direct message:

Please only send a direct message when requested by an official employee--sending a chat when not requested may result in the chat being lost given the high volume of chat requests received daily.

• Ensure you are first signed in, then you will see an icon at the top right of your page. Click that or follow this link: https://comca.st/3Ib062a
  • From there, click the 'New Message' icon. In the 'To' field, type 'Xfinity Support'.
  • Type your message in the text area that appears at the bottom of the window and hit enter to send. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond.

We ask that you please include your name, the account holder name (if different), and the service address alongside your inquiry so we can best assist. 

Generally, data escalations would go to our Customer Security Assurance team at 1-888-565-4329

I am also going to link some information regarding frequently asked questions and answers regarding the data usage billing plan that may be helpful in the future. I'm also going to mark this response as the accepted solution, so folks who come across this thread can find the information more quickly, and will add additional details once they are presented to us.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

General Questions and Answers About Our Data Usage Plans

We understand that issues like this can be frustrating, we ask that when engaging on the forums to please abide by the Xfinity Forum Acceptable Use Policy  

(edited)

Visitor

• 

25 Messages

@XfinityBrie I did exactly that and was swiftly ignored.

Visitor

• 

25 Messages

”XfinityNico is now assisting you
XfinityNico
You would need to contact our Customer Security Assurance Team for data usage concerns. Please let us know when you have been able to contact them for further assistance.“
Nico responded this way, not exactly the response I was expecting. I guess I should have?

Visitor

• 

17 Messages

@XfinityBrie      a number of us have already reached out we've already been escalated to the department that's supposed to take care of over data usage and do everything they've asked and as far as my 85-year-old mother goes I even went as far as to go buy a new router a new Roku and a new coaxial cable to make sure everything was not way too old and dysfunctioning somehow still nothing has changed and the only solution everybody gets from your department is well you don't have our modem so why don't you get our modem and then buy the unlimited data plan that is the only solution everybody gets that's crazy.  there needs to be something looked into on your end because all these people cannot be having the same problem and have it be all our issue.     For my mother it started in September slowly increasing October was worse than September November we get the notification that she's almost over dating use December is on par right now at this time of the month she's near 700 GB when in all the years she's never even come close to using half she's never even come close to 600 GB a month so if it continues the way it is for December she's going to be well into the 1400s explain that.  [Edited: "Solicitation"]

(edited)

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Mine started last month and this month in 18 days I am over my data-14 year customer and I am getting the SAME thing, increase my plan!!!

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

@XfinityBrie

the link above does not work for me but I too am having this problem.  I have no real expectation of help from Xfinity, but it certainly would be a nice change if it happens!  Suddenly 2 of us (retirees) have increased data usage by 10 times!

Official Solution

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

3 years ago

Welcome to our community forum, @user_ea7712! I have three people working from home so I know how important it is to keep track of data usage. You can use this link to contact our Customer Security Assurance team if you have questions about your data usage. 

This comment was created from this reply

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

@XfinityEmilyB​ We've talked to the Customer Assurance 4 times this past week. They are of no help. only telling us to buy more internet. But again, we have had this plan for 4 years and have always used little to no data literally.  i have reported this to the FCC. We are at our wits end. hope someone can help / look into, investigate.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

SAME! No one seems to be able to help but increase to unlimited data... this is crazy!

Official Employee

• 

443 Messages

@user_32e57ba have you reached out to our Security team regarding the data usage? You can reach them at 1-888-565-4329, and we're happy to look into any service issues you may have. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Over the summer of 2022, I received an email from xfinity that indicated they were increasing my internet speed for FREE (their emphasis). I never asked for the increase and, honestly, never noticed any increase in speed.  I’ve had xFinity for over 20 years and have never had this problem before. My viewing habits are the same as they’ve always been. 

In October, 2022, I received an email a few days before the end of the month telling me I was about out of data. The first month this happened they indicated they would ‘forgive’ me but if it continues in following months, they would begin charging me for $10+ for each 50 GB. (I have no idea what a GB, MB, TB is, etc.) I don’t know how anyone would know. Is it published on the description of every movie? If so, I’ve never seen it and I read the entire recap. 

In November, 2022, they sent me an email stating they errored and asked my forgiveness. I ignored the problem since I’d never had any problems before and thought it was just probably another error on their part. 

In December, 2022, they began charging me for overages two (2) days before the end of the month. (Happy New Year!)

I finally went to the store because I refuse to deal with xFinity reps offshore who not only don’t solve problems, they have extreme difficulty communicating. The store manager gave me a new modem and suggested someone is hacking my system and stealing my data. She said they ‘hear that a lot’. I reminded her that my system is secure. She continued and said the new modem is more secure. I tried to find out which device(s) were using my data and received an error stating my ‘modem was unavailable at the time’. A technician came to my home. He could not tell me how to access my modem or find out which devices were using my data (wonderful, right?).  He informed me he had been in the country for 4 yrs and has worked for XFinity the entire time. He spoke broken English and spoke in 3rd person (when he meant ‘I’, he stated ‘he’). It was a challenge to understand what he tried to communicate. He indicated he only installs equipment. He finished installing my new modem and left. 

Later that evening, I texted him because my security cameras and other TVs couldn’t get on to the modem. I was livid. He sent me a screenshot of my user name and password. Yes, you read that correctly. He took a screenshot of my USER NAME and PASSWORD home with him! I was shocked. He stated he always does this because people forget their password. 

I filed an FCC Complaint. [Edited: "Solicitation"]

xFinity called me within a few days and left a message on my v/m. I called the guy back but the call went to v/m. We have not spoken yet and it has been over a week. [Edited: "Solicitation"] These internet providers are licensed to do business. Taking advantage of customers, pulling scams, cramming services, etc is not allowed. I’m a senior citizen so that adds another level to the xfinity abuse. Next, I’ll check out the https://ovc.ojp.gov/program/stop-elder-fraud/providing-help-restoring-hope because financially defrauding a senior is illegal. 

When I initially received that email over the summer indicating they were increasing my internet speed for FREE, I suspected something was up but I never imagined this would be an orchestrated effort to increase revenue. I find that abhorrent because their was no ‘fine print’ in the email about increased speed = increased data and I never choose HD. I never asked for faster service - never. It seems that xFinity pulled the infamous ‘bait and switch’ a la internet services style. Or, the ‘cramming’ scam where they load up customers with services then slap them with fees. Something is VERY wrong with this problem. That others are experiencing the exact same problem is curious. 

I watch NetFlix and I am billed through xFinity. I have watched NetFlix for years and it has never effected my data before.  If I am billed for NetFlix, why aren’t I given notice when I switch over? How would a customer know that they are charged extra for this ‘channel’ but not every other channel on their line-up? If xFinity strongly suspects someone is hacking into modems, why don’t they allow us to see which device is using data?

Remember when xFinity made ‘xFinity Hot Spots’? Are those hotspots using MY INTERNET DATA? If I can’t see which device is using my data, how would I know? I strongly suspect those XFINITY HOTSPOTS are using MY DATA.

I smell something rotten. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@TR_Hou Hello! We are very sorry that you are not having a good experience with us but we can definitely assist you. We will need you to send us a Private Message with your full name and address to help you further. Here are some instructions on how to send us a PM in case you need them:

Click "Sign In" if necessary
 • Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon (upper right corner of this page)
 • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
 • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
 • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
 • Press Enter to send your message

We look forward to speaking to you there.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Solution

Problem Solver

• 

735 Messages

3 years ago

Good afternoon! Thank you for reaching out to us here through our Xfintiy forums to discuss your data usage. We want to be sure to look into this for you! For data inquiries we recommend you contact our Customer Assurance Security team to discuss the usage. They can be reached at 1-888-565-4329. Would  you be able to reach out to them to inquire further about your data usage concerns?

This comment was created from this reply

Visitor

• 

38 Messages

Exactly.. does no good to call.. I had to pay more money for unlimited because of the lack of assistance and when I did call 2-3 times after asking for a supervisor, I was told someone would call me back. Never happened!

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@user_f5ed03​ same exact problem for me!

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Me too!!! No one calls back.

New Poster

• 

13 Messages

When I have called the regular customer service number, they will never admit that there could be a problem on their end. They just try to upsell me to unlimited data service, which I will not do. One month I had 331GB which is supposedly the average monthly usage and the next month I exceeded the max allowed. Then they blame it on my modem/router. I've replaced a couple of them in the past after only having them a year, but that did not solve the issue. I'm 71 and have an adult daughter living with me. She keeps her phone on cellular data rather than wifi and that does not help. We have also changed the resolution on our TVs to good instead of high.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

They tell you they are send a technician only for them not to show up. They tried to sell me the unlimited package as well.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

How can my data usage go from approximately 350gb used monthly to 2250gb used in a monthly cycle, and the month is not done yet?

My area was hit by Hurricane IDA at the end of August. My internet and cable was out for about a month. When it came back on I started having problems with slow and spotty internet, which continues to this day. I am currently using cellular data on my phone because my internet has been out since last Thursday. It’s been a week. 

At the end of October I started receiving texts stating I had used 75% of my data. Within an hour I received messages stating I had used  90%, then 100%, then I was over my data usage for the month and collecting overage charges. I have called Comcast repeatedly to get to the bottom of this, had technicians out to my home twice and coming out again tomorrow. I’m even accumulating data usage with no internet connection. Please if anyone else is having a similar problem let me know. If I can’t solve this problem, I’ll have to say goodbye to Comcast. 

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Extremely high data usage on home internet

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

I've had this problem too, although not to your extent. There is definitely something wrong with their usage counter. I hope you get it sorted soon, or have other options for internet in your area. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

I got a text this morning that I was 100% over the archaic one terabyte limit imposed by this company. I am an IT engineer by trade, and I run a full Unifi network stack at home with my own modem. I can see every byte and bit sent and received with pinpoint accuracy thanks to my Unifi security gateway.

I have only used 356 GB from November 1st, to today, November 28th and I have the receipts to prove it. Not even half the months data cap of 1000 GB (1TB)

I have spent hours trying to reach someone at Xfinity/Comcast customer service who even understands how the cap works or what a Unifi Security Gateway is... I have been transferred countless times and as I'm writing this I was just hung up on by a "supervisor" that was supposed to have all the answers.

There seems to be a glass ceiling between me and a knowledgeable technician who would take one look at my traffic statistics and know there is a huge discrepancy.

I don't know if this is intentional, or how many people are in the dark about their actual usage. But it sure seems like I'm being taken for a fool. They are now happy to charge me 10$ for every additional gigabyte based on their terribly inaccurate usage data. If it feels, smells, and sounds like a scam...

How many others are being taken advantage of in this way? I will be cancelling services with this predatory provider.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Xfinity is at best inaccurate, at worst FLAT OUT lying about my data usage and exceeding the 1TB usage cap

Visitor

• 

25 Messages

@Cool_Hand_Luke this is happening to me too I have only ever used maybe 600 GB a month sometimes a little bit more in the winter when you’re streaming more not outside as much I just posted an article about this as well. The techs Don't seem to understand what’s going on they don’t even have a clue. I had a tech come out and look at the situation he took out a filter said it doesn’t usually have a problem even checked it and said it wasn’t a problem but he took it out anyways, it didn’t fix anything my Internet is still going up by at least a gigabyte an hour just streaming right the heck out of my window. Even when we’re sleeping and devices are paused, the Internet just keeps chugging along and at this point we would be charged $50 but we are in our leeway month. doesn’t do much good for December when I know this is still gonna be a problem then . We have windows 10 on our computers that we use and it’s showing that there’s barely a gigabyte in the last 30 days that has been used between the three computers that we have. Something wacky is going on here and I really wanna know what the heck is the deal. They better fix this immediately !

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

Hi Lucas, thank you for reaching out to us here with this concern. I would recommend reaching out to our specialized Customer Security Assurance (CSA) team at 1-888-565-4329 from 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week. They will be able to provide more informaiton on your data usage, and if there are unwanted parties using the data or if you have any issues with the way your data is being calculated they can address it in real time. Feel free to reach back out to us here if you need anything else. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@Cool_Hand_Luke We are having the same exact issue. We run the same exact network setup as you, a UDM pro and UniFi switch with our own Arris modem, to track our data usage. Really started paying attention when I noticed in Nov that we were almost at 1TB of usage by mid month. Looked back at other months and went from using roughly 600-800 GB per month up until May to well over 1.1TB from June forward (peaking at 2.3T in Aug!), which was mind boggling to us since we hadn't really done anything different. Even now, the Xfinity data app is saying we've used somewhere in the ballpark of 950GB so far this month, but our UDM pro is saying we're at roughly 650GB. I'd like to know where comcast is getting that extra 300GB from.... 

Were you able to work this out with Comcast? 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Same problem on my side. 
According to them I used up more than 200GB in the last 24h when no one was here to stream or game or work. My kids are away and I was out and about most of the day.

This must be a system bug. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Now I’m over 2,225GB which is +600GB in the past week. Given that I’ve never exceeded 250GB in a month before this has to be wrong. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@user_61cb1f​ did you get this resolved? I’m having the exact same problem

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

There's definitely something wrong there. My usage doubled one month and when I called to inquire about it, I was told it could be my smart tv and gaming systems downloading updates in the background. 500GB worth? Highly doubt that. Once I called them out on it the usage went back to normal. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@user_deb62f 

That's great - who did you contact and how did you get them to pull that back? I'm a couple of hours in on customer service with no end in sight.

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

It was just the general customer service line unfortunately. It was back when they gave 2 courtesy overage months. After I complained I never came close to the cap again until last month. 

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@user_61cb1f 

Same here 5 1/2 hours was longest. But always on phone with them for a couple hours and nothing gets fixed. 3 dif technicians and new wiring..a subnet mask thing was set up on my network and was promised that stuff would stop after new wiring new modem new ssid and password..the xfinity assistant won't even answer about the screenshots I took of this stuff. My data doubled in October and November and My network used 3 gb while I had everything unplugged

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

@user_61cb1f

I just spent 1.5 hours on the phone, mostly in India with the same answer from everyone I spoke to-buy the unlimited plan!  NEVER been even a little close to 1.2TB in 14 years, now I'm over in 18 days!

Visitor

• 

17 Messages

@user_61cb1f      same no end in sight.  They don't want to admit that something is wrong on their end.  Or even look into it.   Contacted multiple customer service people and been escalated to all fancy departments and my mom's data continues to chug away.  Now over 700 at the 19rh of Dec.  When she never even used 600 in a month.   🤷

Visitor

• 

25 Messages

3 years ago

We seem to be having the same issue many others had in November 2020. We are currently over on our data usage. We have never been anywhere near getting to the 1.2 TB limit ever. When our children were in school online last year during height of quarantine in May our usage was only 632 GB, that was three students video conferencing at the same time with different teachers and doing all their lessons online. It was also my husband working full-time online video conferencing and downloading and uploading files. We don’t go over this limit ever. Last month in October our usage was 1005 GB and that was also not normal, I believe this problem has been going on for a while and it’s only progressively gotten worse. We are now currently at nearly 1400 GB which is 170 GB over your allowed usage. They charge you $10 for every 50 GB over limit. They only give you one leeway month in 12 months. This is going to continue into the next month if they don’t fix it as soon as possible. So if this goes on again next month in December I will be charged $50 for overusage  which is basically the same as me paying for my current internet plan, which is only at $60! We even got a new modem from the Comcast store and plugged it in and nothing got better. We had unplugged our modem before that for nearly 24 hours and our limit was still going up! How were we using data when we weren’t even hooked up to it? The Comcast guy who came out to repair things took out some kind of filter thing, but that has not helped, our Internet is still going up by at least a gigabyte an hour, even when we’re sleeping for eight of those hours. With the Comcast modem I’m able to pause devices and I have paused anything that we’re not currently using or need access to. Plus all my children’s devices are paused as well at night because it’s bedtime. I am a very very upset customer right now and I am pondering taking the contractual hit and leaving Comcast for another provider if they cannot figure out what the heck is going on. Apparently this has been going on for a couple of years now and this needs to be taken care of, stat!! Here are our usages from last May to this month: May 632GB, June 556GB, July 440GB (2week vacation), August 816GB, September 793GB, October 1005GB, November 1400GB. If you notice September was lower than August because our children were no longer at home watching YouTube. They were at school. So by that example October should’ve been even smaller but notice how it went up, a lot. We don’t even stream at night anymore we only watch our DVDs and our Blu-ray‘s!! Fix this problem now!

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Unusually High Internet usage !!

Problem Solver

• 

571 Messages

Hello, @AnnV8 thank you for reaching out to our Xfinity Community Forum page! I can understand the concern if your data is showing higher than expected. I would be more than happy to assist you with this further. Please send us a direct message with your full name and address to begin.

To send a Direct Message:

Ensure you are logged in

Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or https://comca.st/3I1OiPw

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

(Credit to @BruceW)

Visitor

• 

25 Messages

@XfinityAlisha How soon should I expect a reply?

New Problem Solver

• 

318 Messages

Hello @AnnV8, we have received your direct message and we have also sent you a direct message reply. You will need to go into your peer 2 peer chat to see Alisha's response and continue getting assistance.

Visitor

• 

25 Messages

My problem has not been solved so this is not accepted answer.

Problem Solver

• 

892 Messages

Hi there @AnnV8! Can you please meet us in a Peer to Peer chat/DM so we can help you? 

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us: 
 • Click "Sign In" if necessary
 • Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon (upper right corner of this page)
 • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
 • Press Enter to send your message

Visitor

• 

25 Messages

3 years ago

Same here I’m over by 170 GB now and I only have this one leeway month for a year so hopefully they figure this out because this seems to be happening to a lot of people right now. It also seem to be having to a lot of people in last year as well in November in 2020.

Problem Solver

• 

1.3K Messages

3 years ago

@user_61cb1f Hi there! We can look into the data usage for you and see what's going on.

Please select the chat icon in the top right-hand corner. Then search for Xfinity Support. Please make sure to provide your full name and service address. Or click here

https://comca.st/3CYC0DW. Then click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon.

Type "Xfinity Support" there. As you are typing a drop-down list appears.

•    Select "Xfinity Support" from the list. An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
  • Press Enter or tap the >icon to send it

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@XfinityJodie

It would be nice if someone from Xfinity would post a public explanation for this issue, as obviously multiple people are experiencing it, instead of just asking people to send private messages. 

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

I called customer service and was firm with them.   I got credit for extra data used.  Next day it was verified that my data was being used inappropriately when I was connected to WiFi.  Called them again and told them my findings and threatened lawsuit.  Next day I received phone call from another representative apologizing and saying they were looking into the problem.  My data usage was back to normal that same day.  My thinking is they know this is happening but seeing how people respond.  They are probably making money from people that don’t keep track.  

Visitor

• 

38 Messages

@XfinityJodie​ 

all XFINITY will do is sell you unlimited data.. that’s their goal’

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Same thing if happening to me this month. I usually averaged 300-400gb the last 12 months. Now this month I am at 1600gb, it is 4x my normal usage. There has been no changes whatsoever in my house. Anyone figured out what is happening?

Visitor

• 

25 Messages

@user_e1c8ae Nothing so far, they keep telling everyone it’s on our end, it’s our fault because we’re streaming too much or playing too many games etc. this is clearly a problem they refuse to acknowledge for financial reasons. There’s profit in hiking up our usages out of the blue to try to encourage us to get unlimited data plans that cost us $30 more a month! I’ve been offered the unlimited plan SOOOOO many times now after trying to explain that nothing has changed here yet our data is way over!  We’re looking into other providers!

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

933 Messages

Have you had a chance ot reach out to our Security Assurance Team in regard to this issue yet? 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityMikeB​ Yes and the Data security expert that just called me said Xfinity has no access to their DVR boxes to see usage or any of my devices, even with my permssion.  Why don't you explain to us all what the problem is so we can solve it?

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

This is correct. The customer assurance team has no answers and no access to data usage.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

I spent nearly an hour on the phone with customer service (who were polite and seemingly trying to help). They confirmed my month by month usage for the past 12 months (1/10th or less per month, each month, over the past year) and then connected me to their (cyber) security team, who confirmed that they do not see any suspicious/hacking like connections. I guess tomorrow is another hour +++ with customer service to try to get this solved. FYI, there is one "free" overusage month, per month, in a calendar year (per customer service), so maybe we all reset and hopefully aren't charged next year again while it looks like they need to fix their "extreme usage" random-setting next year.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@user_61cb1f 

Oh and I got the streaming/gaming suggestion, as well. I don't game, and hardly stream, so that doesn't hold water.

Problem Solver

• 

729 Messages

If you would like us to look at this with you, we are happy to do that! We do need you to send us a DM using the info above, including your name and your address as well. 

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@user_61cb1f 

Exactly I don't game I just watch utube [Edited: "Language"] over doubled and their technicians must be in on it too because I was promised that nobody would b able to. My data was in the mid 200s now up here 500 [Edited: "Language"]

(edited)

Visitor

• 

17 Messages

@user_61cb1f     completely agree.   Look at your own system Xfinity!!!!

Problem Solver

• 

385 Messages

Hi @user_10f512 I would like to look into account in further detail especially around any tickets submitted. Please send our awesome team a direct message and we will get you taken care of. 

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I'm having same problem, data usage up 2 to 3 times normal. Chat was worthless.  Finally got on-line with a human, I think. She escalated to IT who was supposed to call me back but never did.  Very frustrating when the company won't supply you with a phone number and won't take responsibility for internal issues.

Official Employee

• 

746 Messages

Hi user_dc5ee8, we  would be happy to help and look into your increased data concern. send us a direct message with your full name (and the account holder's name if different from you) and the numbers associated with your service address. To send a Private Message, please click on the link  https://comca.st/3rsEI2i to initiate a live chat.

Visitor

• 

38 Messages

No, this is price gouging!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Just adding another “what the [EDIT] is happening” to this thread. Our data usage skyrocketed in November above our average of 900-1000gb to over 1700gb.

Absolutely nothing has changed in our house. And we were on vacation for part of the month. 

Edit: Profanity Violation - Xfinity Forum Acceptable Use Policy

(edited)

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@user_c203b2

Yep, that happened to us too. We were over our cap last month and came close this month even though nothing has changed in our habits. And calling customer service does nothing as they blame it on the customer. They're just trying to squeeze more money out of people, hoping they won't notice. 

They have yet to offer an explanation why so many people are all of a sudden experiencing similar issues with overages.

Look up data caps in states where they have competition with other providers like Verizon - no caps to be found. 

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

3 years ago

I received an email saying I was 90% usage with about 7 days to go. I never had checked my usage before and this was in October. I did a little research about using data. Things like not watching or streaming at 1080p. Use a lower setting. Not having stuff run automatically after watching a video. There are settings in Youtube and also on your firestick. I do check my data usage daily. I still can't figure out why I use so much data. Just watching a movie on Netflix can use 5 gigs of data. November I still have about 300 gigs left to use. I will see what happens in December. Good luck everybody!!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@user_d263b5 Does you Modem get disconnected randomly? 

There's a Security Flaw with their Modems since 2017 . I know XB-3 Modems are vulnerable to a DNS Hijack . And yes, Xfinity has been Ignoring this issue since 2017. 

Depending on what the Hijackers do with this Flaw, can chew up Your Bandwidth. 

This hijack Originates from a Low Network level on Xfinity's  Network. So it Does Not originate from your (user) Activity on your Computer. Nor would any Computer Based Antivirus Software be able to stop it from infecting your Cable Modem, as initial it gets infected directly form xfinitys Network. In the past Iv verified from family in other States that got infected.

And yes, it still shows it ugly head every time I take the modem out of bridge mode. ... since 2017........... (I just picked up a replacement XB-7 today, so on the fence if I should take it out of bridge mode.)

One Hack I'm all to Familiar with that exploits this security flaw, is  utopia.net. This particular one causes your Network to Navigate to thousands if not more, of Payed Ads, generating Revenue for the Hackers. Hence A lot of Bandwidth usage.

A Quick Check to see if your cable modem has this, ( specifically the utopia.net version):

In Windows, Do a Registry Search for utopia.net    -regedit.exe    Select top of hierarchy (computer) then Edit/Search menu. Pop in utopia.net and see if it finds it.

If it finds it, then yea that's what's chewing up your bandwidth. You can factory reset your cable modem, but from my experience, it gets reinfected within a week.

Note, it doesn't need to be utopia.net,  it can be anything that's hijacking your DNS (name)

So look closely at your Network properties.  aka  Command: ipconfig /all   

The NS  / Dns Server should either be:

8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4  (Googles)

Or Xfinities:  75.75.75.75 75.75.76.76   (Im not sure of they have more)

Also take Note of  Connection-specific DNS Suffix. If its Odd, like soandso.com This may be the Issue.

If you Do discover this on your router. Try your Own router, and Put your Cable Modem in Bridge Mode.

Default Login to your Cable Modem is usually  login:  admin Pass: password

you should be able to access this Modem setup with a Browser  10.0.0.1  <-- which is usually default.. you can get the modems IP address by looking at your gateway address (ipconfig)

This Post Describes the Symptoms Of this type of Hijack. 

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/xfinity-modem-suddenly-connects-itself-to-a-dept-of-defence-ip-address/60334b94c5375f08cd73a61b

Good Luck

Visitor

• 

25 Messages

Thank you so much!! Going to look into this ASAP!!

Official Employee

• 

772 Messages

My pleasure! We will be in touch. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@JustAnotherIgnorantCustomer 

I found utopia.net in my registry. Why does Comcast not help with this??

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@JustAnotherIgnorantCustomer 

So I did a  ipconfig /all   search and it shows DNS Server as:  75.75.75.75 75.75.76.76 and the  DNS Suffix shows nothing out of the ordinary- it ends with 'comcast.net' so I don't think that's the issue.  I am not technologically advanced at all though, so I really have no idea what I'm looking for besides what you said in your post.

Also, I tried to do the search for utopia.net and I don't think it's on my computer. I opened up regedit.exe and and clicked on 'computer' then 'edit' and 'find' and typed in utopia.net and nothing came up.  So now I'm back to step 1 again and not knowing what the hell to do.  Any other ideas of what might be making my data go crazy?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here