Trygves's profile

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

Thursday, February 18th, 2021 10:00 AM

Closed

Xfinity Modem suddenly connects itself to a Dep't of Defence IP address

Using a ARRIS SVG2482AC modem which normally is connewcted to 24.118.160.28 which is a comcast IP address. Every day about 3 times it is trying to connect itself to IP 21.139.146.230 and shuts down all my Internet for 2 minutes before reconnecting to the comcast IP address. What makes my modem telling me: mta0 got new IP 21.139.146.230 and then within 2 minutes: erouter0 got new IP 24.118.160.28. Can this be related to the Russian solarwind virus where DOD attacks my modem? What is going on. This has occured now for 2 months every day even with my computers shut off.

Please help

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

4 years ago

Hello @Trygves! We definitely want to make sure you have a safe online experience with us! This sounds like it could be related to a settings issue within the modem, or some type of malicious attack/software issue. Have you tried to complete a factory reset of the modem to see if this will help? Also, have you tried to reach out to the manufacture of your modem to see if this may be a known issue with them?

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

Have contacted ARRIS and they tell me that the Upstream Channel Bonding Value is too low on my modem. Readings are 31.5 - 34.5 dBmv and should be 45 - 51 dBmv. ARRIS told me  to ask Xfinity to fix this problem before they can do any further help. The Downstream values are within their expected values.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for your kind comment - so are you telling me that the power levels are correct then?

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Trygves wrote:

Have contacted ARRIS and they tell me that the Upstream Channel Bonding Value is too low on my modem. Readings are 31.5 - 34.5 dBmv and should be 45 - 51 dBmv. ARRIS told me  to ask Xfinity to fix this problem before they can do any further help. The Downstream values are within their expected values.

FWIW, that has nothing to do with it. They are wrong anyway ! They have been passing the buck and have been conning people with that statement lately !! They are probably trying to cover up for their liabilities about the lawsuits against them because of their use of the horrible Puma 6 chipsets... Only the Comcast plant / engineering specs matter;

Specification Min Max
Downstream Power Level
Cable Modems -10dBmV +10dBmV
Gateways and EMTAs -7dBmV +7dBmV
Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio 35dB -
Upstream Power Level +35dBmV +50dBmV
Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio 31dB -
Upstream Receive Power -2dBmV
+2dBmV

Something else is going on.

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

4 years ago

I appreciate your update on this @Trygves. We definitely want to make sure that everything is within the range it needs to be. I would like to get your account pulled up so we can check some additional signals reporting from your modem to helps us get to the bottom of this for you! Can you please send me a private message with your first and last name so we can get this taken care of together? To send us a private message, please click on my name , then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

4 years ago

The upstreams are. You didn't post the downstreams. See the info I posted.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

Downstream has 24 channels varying between 2.7 - 5.4 dBmV with a SNR of 38.61 - 40.95. Are there ok values?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

4 years ago

@Trygves wrote: ... mta0 got new IP 21.139.146.230 ... erouter0 got new IP 24.118.160.28. ...

If "mta0" is the Home Phone component IP and "erouter0" is the Internet IP it isn't surprising that they are different. But why "mta0" is being assigned an address that ARIN claims to be a DoD address, I can't imagine.

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

4 years ago

Yes they are fine, but this all moot. As stated signals / power levels have nothing to do with IP addresses. It's two different layers of the OSI model.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

if mta0 is the phone and is assigned the strange IP,  why does my Internet shuts down when this happens, and why is the Internet IP then reinstated? I am really baffeled as to what causes this issue, but it has happened for weeks now up to 3 times per day

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

3 years ago

So this saga continues... I gave up on my original ARRIS SVG2482 modem, and purchased a brand new one and had it connected to Xfinity. Well it took just 1 day and I lost phone lines and Internet again for 5 minutes - saw this: [Dhcpc][1594]: mta0 got new IP 21.139.156.157 and then it connected itself back to [Dhcpc][1726]: erouter0 got new IP 174.53.196.127. The next message was: [Harvester][1158]: Harvester StartAssociatedDeviceHarvesting : Started Thread to start DeviceData Harvesting. So my second ARRIS modem SVG2482 does the same thing right away. Xfinity has been here multiple times and changed the fiber to coax modem outside and also done signal integrity measurements on the lines as well as made sure that the downstream and upstream power levels agree with what ARRIS wants them to be. How can I get this fiasco stopped? How can I get a reliable Internet and phone connection from Xfinity? This is not what I want to pay for....

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

3 years ago

Part of modem #2 I have had several calls to ARRIS, and they told me to have Xfinity change the Upstream Power Levels to within 41 - 51dBmV, and the most recent Xfinity Tech did that for the new modem. The problem still exist and happens 2 - 3 times per day. I see that I am not alone with this problem - many other Xfinity Customers see the same thing. What is the cause and how do we fix it. ARRIS defenitely tells me it is not their problem but a problem from Xfinity. Please help!!!!

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hi, @Trygves! Thanks for reaching back out for help with the modem concern over our forums page. I am sorry to learn about the connectivity issue still happening 2-3 times a day. As someone who runs a small business from home, I understand the importance of having your internet services working correctly. We can certainly help and do some additional troubleshooting steps on our end to get this resolved as quickly as possible. To further assist, would you mind sending us a direct message with your first/last name and full address so we can ensure we are working on the correct account? You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums page when signed in. Once there, you can search for "Xfinity Support" to compose your direct message.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

Gabriel, I do not understand how to communicate with you directly. Thanks for replying, but how do I continue with your help? I am really strugeling as I am now on my modem #3, and ARRIS SVG2482AC. All modems several times per day get a new IP address for the mta0 and shuts down both my phone line and my Internet. Can you please check why the phone modem part (mta0) wants to renew itself several times per day. How can you make the renewal time at least 1 week long. Please fix this Xfinity as I am not the only Customer who gets this problem.  Account <Edited for guideline violation>

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

87 Messages

Hi @Trygves. Sorry for the experience you're having. We'd be happy to help you by chatting in a direct message so we can gather your account information in a private environment. Below are the steps to follow to start a peer to peer chat with an official employee: 

"Search for Xfinity Support" won't work. To send a "Peer to peer" / "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:
 • Click "Sign In" if necessary
 • Click the "Direct Message" icon in the top right corner
 • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
 • The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there
 •  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list
 •  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
 • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
 • Press Enter to send it

Please let us know if you have any issues. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for your comment. Tried but prefer a phone call. Had 3 with Xfinity yesterday and basically was told that as  I have used 2 different modems of the same model number it must be the modems which are bad. I should purchase a  3rd new modem but then with the 3.1 function as that will fix the problem for me. A very know-it-all Xfinity tech support person not willing to actually listen to my questions and comments. So I have now ordered modem #3 to see if that helps the problem so many of us seems to have. My basic question has been why does mta0 = phone get a new IP every 12 hours and shuts down the phone and Internet for 5 minutes.

Problem Solver

• 

571 Messages

@Trygves Without looking further into your account and specs it will be difficult to assist you. I want to help you get to the bottom of this. And I apologize for the ongoing troubles you have had. If you would like further assistance please send us a direct message so, that we can take a further look into your signals and modem specs. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

I do a search for

XfinityAlisha

and can't find you? So how do we touch base?

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hello @Trygves! No worries! Here are the steps to follow to start a peer-to-peer chat with us: • Click "Sign In" if necessary • Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon (upper right corner of this page) • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window • Press Enter to send your message

Please let me know if you run into any issues along the way! We look forward to hearing from you! 

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

3 years ago

After a discussion with a tier 2 Customer Support person at Xfinity (US person) he recommended I purchase an additional new modem with DOCSIS 3.1 - got the ARRIS T25 this time and just after 1 day the same thing happened again. Now I own 3 modems and none of them gives me a reliable and useful Internet connection with Xfinity. I also read that there are several other users around the country with exactly the same problem as I am experiencing. Why can Xfinity not  come up with a solution or a fix. The very strange situation is that it is not a random problem - it happens every 12 hours that I see a mta0 got new IP address and the phone and Internet is shut down for 5 minutes before it comes back with the old IP address.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

3 years ago

I have a solution to all this - found out from a former Xfinity employee that it is all a scheme to try to get Xfinity customers to rent their modem. I am now instead starting a new subscription wit Century-link who offers higher speed more reliability and for a lesser monthly cost. Any other with this problem - please switch to Centurylink and things should be much better.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

We would hate to lose you as a customer, @Trygves. Especially when it something we know we can resolve. I would love the opportunity to help find the root cause of this problem with you.

Please send me a private message with your first and last name as well as your full service address by using the Peer to Peer chat icon is located at the top right of the page. Clicking on the chat icon will bring up a chat box that will allow you to initiate the conversation.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here