eastmoreland's profile

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

Sunday, October 3rd, 2021 6:15 PM

Closed

Smart Resume not working correctly

For the last week or so on my X1, the Smart Resume feature has started to resume too soon.  That is, when a commercial starts and I hit fast forward, the fast forwarding stops somewhere between 30 seconds and 90 seconds before the program starts playing again.  So I'm forced to watch at least one commercial before the program starts, unless I manually skip or fast-forward through them.

When I look at the blue and yellow bar indicating where the smart resume window is in the programming stream, it actually looks like the whole smart resume window is skewed about 30-90 seconds early.  That is, the yellow part starts before the commercials start, and the yellow part ends before the commercials end.

Anyone else notice this problem?  I haven't actually reported this to Xfinity Support, but I hope someone might be monitoring this and could address this if it is a general problem.

Contributor

• 

83 Messages

2 years ago

Ok. Yet another post. 
So I recorded yesterdays episode of The Good Doctor. Same thing. Everything is off by about 30 seconds. 
Out of curiosity, I opened the Xfinity Stream app  and streamed the same episode from my DVR. 

Guess what, it was perfect. Smart resume was spot on. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello @r.vicini and thank you for your submission. W are happy to help you. Since this is an older post would you mind starting a new submission so we can properly help you. Thank you very much for following our community guidelines. We look forward to working with you on a resolution. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I have the newest modem and the newest DVR box and I am still having the issue. You would think they could fix it, as it did work properly at one time.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Smart Resume is messed up for me too, but it seems it's messed up on only my local channels. It works correctly on shows that I've recorded on HGTV and Discovery. Messed up on shows I record on Fox and ABC.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hmmm, that is super strange! I know that we will be able to work to troubleshoot this. I was curious if you have ran any of the troubleshooting signals from our app system by chance? Those signal are geared to isolate the inbound signal to the home to try and find the hiccup in the connection. I am a huge advocate of our app and web troubleshooting platforms. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

83 Messages

Wow. It seems some of you Xfinity people are really clueless. It’s so frustrating

Contributor

• 

135 Messages

I have had this issue for over 6 months. The other day a tech came out checked the signal which was fine.  He reset a bunch of stuff. Installed a new box. We are still having the issue. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello and thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. We are aware of an issue with the Smart Resume feature and are actively working on getting more Smart Resume compatible channels, as well as getting the syncing issue fixed. 

Users may experience the Smart Resume feature either over or undershooting the exact start time of the programs. Thank you all for your time, patience, and efforts while we work to make this feature exactly what we all expect it to be! 

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

I went to my Xfinity Store today, and would you believe that my customer service person said he had never heard of the Smart Resume issue! I told him I couldn’t believe he hadn’t heard about it.  Had he ever seen the eight pages of Community Forum complaining about this for the past 9 months?  No. The only satisfaction I got was to schedule a tech visit tomorrow (which I don’t have high hopes for) and to contact him if the problem wasn’t solved so he could “elevate” this issue his management.  We’ll see.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Not sure how many other programs might be OKish now, but last night (Mar. 27, 2022) I recorded SWAT on CBS.  It appears that the Smart Resume is functioning "almost normally" again.  I can't remember just how much time at the end of the Smart Resume was viewed as part of a commercial when this seemed to work correctly, but in this recording, the start of the commercials looked about right with the big dot hovering over the beginning of the commercial break.  I was at warp factor 4 speeding through the commercials and just let it go on its own.  When it stopped at the end of the commercial break, there was about 20 seconds of commercial to watch before the show continued.  I checked this over the four different commercial breaks, and each was pretty much 20 seconds (by my count, not by a watch, but I still hit 20 each time).  I can live with the 20 seconds if it means I can use the feature "unsupervised".

I don't know if the end of program would have been cut off short.  I already add a few minutes to the end of shows.  Been doing that all along, even before I knew this feature was malfunctioning.

I don't have any other recordings to check at this time.  Don't want to waste my time recording a show I don't even care about just to test this.  I'll find out more in a day or so.

UPDATE:  Recorded "FBI" last night (3/29/22) on CBS.  Timings were way off again.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hey @Styler001! Thank you for taking the time to reach out and being part of the Xfinity family. If you're still having issues and have a recording that you didn't delete that we can look at I'd be happy to help. I'd need to take a look at the actual recording n the box so I'd need to pull up your account. In order to get started can you please send me a private message to Xfinity Support with your full name and full address by clicking the chat icon in the top right?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Message to Xfinity: please read the entire thread. It’s happening to ALL of us, coast to coast. And has been for months. You guys need to look at the SR feature, the programming, and figure out how to sync it back up. For us - in Seattle - it’s every single recorded program. Every one. 

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello @user_025be8 thank you for reaching out to us on our community forums. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? We'd love to troubleshoot this smart resume issue with you.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Smart Resume has not worked for us for months either. We have tried all measures suggested, Nothing helps.  Also very frustrating is the loss of the end of a program. The recording cuts off just a few seconds early. Sometimes we are lucky enough to be recording the next show on the the same channel and view the ending that way but really we have to resort to that???? This issue has gone on for months and seems to be no progress on fixing it.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@user_4bd84b​ I've had to extend most every recording the extra 3min to work around that issue. I also am convinced this is a marketing tool to get extra money for that time because we are held captive. Everyone should see if their CW recordings are doing the same. My smart resume works on all my CW recordings, but I don't have very many. The fix I use for the other shows is to watch the time. Once it stops, to avoid the loop, wait about 3 sec, you can watch the timer when it jumps the 2-4 sec then you can FF to the show without getting in the loop.

Official Employee

• 

3.6K Messages

Hello @user_4bd84b and thanks for reaching out on our Forums page in regard to the problems you're experiencing with Smart Resume and recording programs. As a person who loves the Smart Resume feature and also very much utilizes my DVR to record my favorite programming, I definitely understand your concerns. I am sorry you have been having these problems and would love to help. 

To confirm, is the Smart Resume feature not working on any of the content you watch (that has the feature)? Have you attempted to extend the recording time on the programming you record? 

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

I have the same issue on occasion too, program starts playing 15-30 seconds too soon after "smart resume". I am in the midwest...........

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

2 years ago

What is getting increasingly frustrating is that when I communicate directly about this issue with Xfinity employees on this forum using private messaging, and I have done this many times, it's as if every time is the first time they've ever heard of the Smart Resume issue.  And, bless their hearts, they so, so want to help me.  And every time, they want to run some diagnostics on my system, like it hasn't been done before.  And then they say that the development team thinks that something isn't right with my system and that a technician should come out to my house and do some more checking.  And the technician comes, as multiple technicians have, and climbs up on poles (our cables are above ground) and looks at the connections, and runs some programs on their phones, and says that everything is fine, and that the Smart Resume issue is a problem with the back end, not with anything in my house or in the lines to my house.

So, what will it take for the Xfinity developers to accept that the Smart Resume problem is THEIR problem, and just go fix it?  I've never heard any of them say "it doesn't happen at my house."  Have they looked?  Have they asked other Xfinity employees whether they experience the problem?  Perhaps talk directly with technicians.  If the problem isn't happening in your city, talk to some of the technicians in the Portland, OR area.  The problem is certainly happening here.  If you don't believe us, talk to your own people.

Visitor

• 

32 Messages

@eastmoreland​ I share your (and everyone else's) frustration about this problem.  I've worked with individual Xfinity employees over the phone, had a visit to my home from a technician and four X1 box replacements all to no avail.  In attempting to fix the issue all they've done is introduce a new issue; a lot of the programs I record cut off anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds too soon thereby causing us to miss the end of the show. It seems to me like Xfinity is not interested in hearing about or fixing this issue.  All they give us is lip service.  I'm just waiting until my contract is up and will be cutting the cord with Xfinity.  I'm tired of paying over $200 per month for such shabby service.

Contributor

• 

103 Messages

I have come to the conclusion that Xfinity has no idea about how to fix the problem that they created.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@JP98683​ Good. And then we won't have to hear you constantly whining about it instead of just turning off the feature.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

April 9, 2022. Smart resume is not working correctly, we endure additional commercials.

We just got a new box from Xfinity because the old box wasn’t recording correctly. Prior to that they checked out all the cables for miles around. The picture is much better but smart resume still doesn’t work properly, just like with the old box. XFINITY: What is the solution ?

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@user_106a4f​ Push the "fast forward "button on he remote to "fast forward" through the commercials. Then push the "play button" once the commercials are over.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Same problem for months...all you need to do, since Xfinity is unable to fix the problem, is fast forward at 4x until it automatically stops.  Then press PG (page) up for it to fast forward instantly the 30 seconds more of unwanted commercial....back to program.  Orting, WA

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@Audiomixer​ Not always that easy.  Comcast has a programmed auto backup to take into account you pressing play, and then backing up.  

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Add me to the list of PDX area (Boring) customers experiencing the Smart Resume shift issue. Symptoms are identical. I have to manually fast forward past the last 30 - 90 seconds of the commercial break. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

The good news is the solution was just cancellation. 

switched to YouTube TV and got gig fiber through ATT and saved $130 a month….

Contributor

• 

135 Messages

2 years ago

Unable to get GIG fiber here, I am looking at other options though. Maybe if they spent less on advertising and more on research.  Seems like almost every commercial break has a Xfinity or Comcast Business. 

Contributor

• 

135 Messages

2 years ago

another week has gone by still having the issue no updates from Xfinity.

Visitor

• 

32 Messages

@Shapoonie​ I doubt you'll hear anything any time soon.  I reported this issue several weeks ago and have heard nothing.  I've been trying to get Xfinity to do something about Smart Resume ending too early since October of last year.  I did receive a couple of responses from Xfinity but the problem still exists.  I even contacted the Vice President of Customer Service to try to get the issue resolved.   I got a call after that asking for details which I provided but nothing ever came of that.  I've replaced my X1 four times (at the request of Xfinity) with no solution.  I've had a technician out to my home to check out all my connections.  This did not resolve the issue.  They've admitted there is a problem but no one at Xfinity seems to know how to fix it.  I'm sure the issue is within the code but there seems to be no one at Xfinity capable of identifying and resolving the issues we are having.  My workaround thus far is to use the voice function and fast forward anywhere from 20 to 30 seconds after Smart Resume ends.  I have not found a solution to recorded programs ending too soon.  I've tried adding time at the end but this messes up the recordings that come after (i.e. I get a lot of recording conflicts).  It's very frustrating to deal with these issues.  As soon as my existing contract is up so I don't have to pay an early cancellation penalty I intend to cancel Xfinity and rely on streaming services.  I just haven't figured out which one I want to use yet.  Hulu along with Brit Box, Acorn, Netflix, Disney and Apple TV offer enough content to satisfy my need for entertainment.  As far as I'm concerned, Xfinity is only a convenience.  I have a Smart TV so can easily switch back and forth to view what I want.  I'm done with trying to get Xfinity to do anything; they just don't seem to care.

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

@Shapoonie​ I second that opinion.  I started this thread in October, I think.  I have been promised several times that programmers would get back to me about it.  I've sent them detailed timings for several programs listing when the Smart Resume ended and when the program actually started.  I've had techs come to my house and check wiring, etc.  and have been given a clean bill of health.  Never have I gotten a call or an email from the programmers.  

The folks from Xfinity who monitor this forum have been very responsive.  They send personal messages and ask for more information, and they open trouble tickets and promise that someone from development will get back to me.  But no one ever does.  I have a second trouble ticket open now, and it's been open about two weeks.  The forum folks have followed up and asked whether I've heard from the programmers, but I  never have.  They recently put a note into the ticket asking them to call me back.  But that hasn't happened either.

To me, this isn't a major problem.  I can easily work around it.  But like politics, it's not so much the original issue as it is the cover-up.  How long will this go on before we get an official message saying that this isn't a problem but a feature?

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

@eastmoreland

Regarding the ticket you have open, I would like to add some more details to it. Could you tell me specifically what the issue is that you are having with the Smart Resume? Thank you for your time. <edit: personal info> 

(edited)

This reply has been converted into a comment

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

@XfinityDaryl​ , please feel free to look over this entire thread.  I have posted many times what the issues are, and they remain.  There is also a long thread of personal communications in this forum between Xfinity employees and me.  They document the situation even more thoroughly.  Just look.  It's all there!

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

I’ve had this exact same issue at my house now for months.  Just swapped out my X1 last week and it did not fix the issue.  This has been very frustrating, we miss the last few seconds of a lot of the shows we record and the smart resume is always off by 30 to 45 seconds or so.  I live near McCleary, Washington.  

Contributor

• 

103 Messages

@MTMorey​ It seems to me that all Comcast has to do is adjust their main clock by about 40 seconds the problem would be solved.  They created the problem so they should be able to fix it.  

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

@margene1636​ Not sure it's exactly that simple.  On some programs, the difference is about 30-40 seconds.  On others, or on different days, the difference is 90-100 seconds.  At least, that's the way it is on my system.  Sometimes, it seems like everything is getting better.  Then, it seems to get worse again.

Contributor

• 

103 Messages

I guess that we all got spoiled from it working correctly.  You would think that maybe Comcast could put a bulletin/notification out to us consumers and their service people at least acknowledging the problem.    Many people have had their boxes switched out only to have the same problem.  If the service and phone people were informed they would not have to waste a home service call.  I have one program, Gold Rush on Discovery, that almost works as it should.

Contributor

• 

103 Messages

I'm thinking that it does have something to do with the clock.  The clock on my DVR unit is approximately 40 seconds ahead of the clock that is displayed on the guide screen and on the saved programs screen.  Check yours out and see if it is the same as mine. 

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

Greetings, @MTMorey. Thank you for taking the time to add your Smart Resume feedback to this thread. I use this feature on a regular basis in my home so I definitely understand the importance of having it work correctly. Just to confirm, have you noticed if the timing issue is occurring on the Xfinity Stream app (mobile) and the Xfinity Stream website as well? 

I no longer work for Comcast

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

2 years ago

@eastmoreland

Regarding the ticket you have open, I would like to add some more details to it. Could you tell me specifically what the issue is that you are having with the Smart Resume? Thank you for your time. <edit: personal info> 

This comment was created from this reply

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

@XfinityDaryl​ Once again, please feel free to look over this entire thread.  I have posted many times what the issues are, and they remain.  There is also a long thread of personal communications in this forum between Xfinity employees and me.  They document the situation even more thoroughly.  Just look.  It's all there!

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

Look out folks, history is starting to revise.  In my last private exchange with support, they implied that a Smart Resume gap of 30 seconds or less is the way that the feature was designed, and that a gap of 90 seconds or more was a problem that needed investigation.  Well, it didn't used to work that way, and the end of programs didn't get cut off either.  But if that's their official position (and I'm not saying it is yet), that makes the Smart Resume feature stupid and worthless.  Another step backwards.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityDaryl​ Why don't you try reading through this topic?  I can't believe you'd even ask that without taking the time to read through a thread that has reported this issue for A VERY VERY VERY LONG TIME!

And the answer's not "reset the system", "get a new box", "try these steps".  These have all proven to be pointless.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

@eastmoreland​ Not that I'd condone it.  It's definitely something I'd never do.  But I've heard of these things called torrents and the shows you download appear to be commercial-free.  No need for this POS "feature" from Xfinity.  Again, this is something I'd NEVER do. ;)

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@XfinityDaryl​  Its amazing to me that you have to ask for more detail of this smart resume problem.  This thread has the problem repeated through MANY xfinity customers.  Since this thread started, it is posted almost everyday with another customer impacted by the SAME problem.  

If you are going to help...  HELP!  The problem is well documented. 

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

We have the same issue. We got a different Xfinity box and the problem went away. You can swap them out at your Xfinity store at no charge. 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@user_2be78b​ Mine worked for one day after I swapped the X1 and then the problem returned just as bad as before.  I will be curious to see if that happens to you as well.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here