rufus97's profile

Contributor

• 

111 Messages

Tuesday, April 4th, 2023 8:17 PM

Closed

update tv box needed?

Yesterday I went into On-Demand and there was a message:   "In upcoming weeks 1 or more TV boxes in your home will no longer allow you to access Xfinity On-Demand packages.  To continue access we're updating your TV to X1 with new equipment".

Really?  How many upcoming weeks?  What if we don't want X1?  We have 1 Smart TV, and 1 SD TV.  Our understanding is that X1 is not truly compatible with an SD TV.  If we're forced to update to X1 in order to keep On-Demand, we'll either have to replace the SD TV or ditch it.  And, who is going to set up the new equipment?  Not us!

Official Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

@rufus97 

Thank you for posting your questions here in our Xfinity Forum. As mentioned by @XfinityJennifer you are not required to update your television when you update your television box. The equipment you receive will have the connections for both HD and SD services.

You can initiate your television equipment swap by following the directions outlined here: https://www.xfinity.com/equipmentupdate

Please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else. 

This comment was created from this reply

3 Messages

@XfinityJessie​ 

I got the same message. From what I can figure out, "upgrading "  to new box will make our bill go up $10 a month and we will lose all recordings we have on our DVR.

We were considering getting rid of cable this may be the last straw.

Contributor

• 

111 Messages

@user_55b1b2​ 

Yes, Comcast should be totally ashamed of themselves in how they've announced this.  Should have been listed on current bill,  just like they announce other changes.    And should state what "upcoming weeks" means.   What if someone hadn't gone into On-Demand before the "upcoming weeks".

Was tempted to report this to BBB, but couldn't be bothered.

Contributor

• 

111 Messages

1 year ago

I only posted this once.  Why is it showing "Rufus97 replied to Rufus97"  ?

Problem Solver

• 

743 Messages

@rufus97 I'm not sure what post you're referring to. I responded with the link that has more information about upgrading your box. Aside from that, we can look into your account to see if the upgrade is necessary. If you'd like us to, could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? 

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

• - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

• - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

Problem Solver

• 

743 Messages

1 year ago

Hello @rufus97! Thank you for reaching out on our community forum. This link has everything you need to know about updating your Xfinity cable box to X1. We do have X1 boxes that are SD and HD capable, so you won't need to upgrade your tv if you don't want to. 

Contributor

• 

111 Messages

@XfinityJennifer​ Did my post go through?

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

@rufus97 

Thank you for posting your questions here in our Xfinity Forum. As mentioned by @XfinityJennifer you are not required to update your television when you update your television box. The equipment you receive will have the connections for both HD and SD services.

You can initiate your television equipment swap by following the directions outlined here: https://www.xfinity.com/equipmentupdate

Please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else. 

This reply has been converted into a comment

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

1 year ago

I had the same message, but then it went away.. But it is back today. When I checked channel 1995, it said my box was good to go... What is the story??

Contributor

• 

111 Messages

@cmw112​ Same thing happened to us.  Only reply we got from Comcast was a link to order X1.  Not saying whether we have to upgrade.

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

when I went to the channel it said this box was OK..  What if we did not check On  Demand for months??  No other notice.. if it is correct.  Did you order a new box?   How are we supposed to hook it up???

(edited)

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

@cmw112 

Thank you for posting your questions here in the Xfinity Forum. We’re changing how we deliver our On Demand programming, allowing us to provide new features, capabilities and long-term improvements in network efficiency. As we make these changes, however, customers with select TV Boxes will no longer be able to access their On Demand content, including Subscription Video On Demand (SVOD) services. As a result, we are asking certain customers with older equipment to update to continue receiving those On Demand services. You can initiate a television box swap by following the directions outline here: https://www.xfinity.com/equipmentupdate

Please let us know if you have any other questions or need additional assistance. 

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

@XfinityJessie​ OK,  I got the new box, but why is the remote so difficult???/  How do  look up shows on demand by station or title without all the photos???? 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

There is no question this is yet another full on cash grab by Comcast to get us to pay even more than we already are for services; I'm sure the bean counters here were sitting around their conference table one day and asked how they could make even more money off of their subscribers. Someone soon suggested "hey, let's get all of them to upgrade to X1 from their older boxes." We'll tell them ahead of time that if they don't they won't have video on demand services and therefore they'll have to upgrade; and, more we'll tell them they can get their new boxes from us, shipped free, even installed free if we need to go there, THEN as soon as they do that, we can start charging them even more a month for the rental of that new box, the rental of the remote that goes with it, and the services it will deliver to them. They'll have no choice but to upgrade..." Everyone in that room said "what a great idea" and this is where we are today. And believe me, this isn't fiction, it's the absolute truth of how things are done when you're a monopoly..." So, thanks Comcast, again, for finding a new way to [Edited: "Language"] your subscribers. Again.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

You are luckier than us. We have not had "On Demand for over a year. Today the cable channel I was watching went to a message from Xfinity to contact them. I ignored the message and unplugged the cable-box to do a reset. After reset the cable channel was back.

I believe we are getting close to when they drop Legacy cable tv. That will be the last straw for me.

Contributor

• 

111 Messages

1 year ago

May be the last straw for us, too.  We don't want X1, but would have to upgrade in order to keep On-Demand.  We think it's disgusting how Comcast is notifying customers about this,  The message only appeared once.  No notice on our April bill. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

@rufus97 

What model of Lagacy cable-box do you have that still gets some "On Demand"?

Mine is a Cisco RNG150N. I had heard when I was on the dark side that most service centers could only replace a Legacy box if they still had some in stock.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

111 Messages

@MNtundraRET​ 

Sorry, I don't know the model.  Would have to move a bunch of wires to see.  We got a new Legacy  box in October because we were having trouble getting a signal.  So, obviously, they were still in stock 6 months ago.  Might have depended on where you live.

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

1 year ago

DOes anyone have the new box?  Got mine today and everything is different..  Everything is pictures.....  and I have no idea how to look up On Demand by station or show.....

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

Time for some good news. With costs going up for cable, and more channels going to steaming with extra monthly charges there is one option looking better.

[Edited: "Solicitation"] In my area in Minnesota the number of local channels has increased from 45 to 60 channels and subchannels in the last two years. The number of comercials is no worse than cable right now.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

111 Messages

@MNtundraRET​ 

Our nephew was talking about that.  We'll let him try it first!  He's a lot more tech savvy than us.  With all the increasing streaming channels, the cost for cable should be going down, instead of up.  Our twenty-something neighbor was encouraging us to go with YouTube.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

You tube is good and has plenty of material even in the free mode. I still use the free mode but might consider some of their other monthly fee options if I lose cable. They have plenty of 4K and 8K material.

(edited)

Retired Expert

Gold Problem Solver

3 Messages

1 year ago

I got the same message. From what I can figure out, "upgrading "  to new box will make our bill go up $10 a month and we will lose all recordings we have on our DVR.

We were considering getting rid of cable this may be the last straw.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

1 year ago

I also received that message.  I do not want their newer DVR (version 4) because it has MUCH less in program recording/capacity.  Boo on Comcast for lowering recording capacity.  I'm keeping my older version 3 DVR!

Visitor

• 

21 Messages

1 year ago

We are getting the same message on my TV when I go to OnDemand.  I took a video of the message and went to an actual Xfinity store to speak to an actual human being.  They knew nothing about it.  I am perfectly happy with my current legacy boxes and don't want or need X-1 Service.  I am still able to record to my VCR's (yes, from the 80's) with my non-X1 boxes.  If I upgrade to X1 service, that will not be possible.  I will have to get DVR service which will be at a fee.  I also don't know if X1 service will work with my current internet provider which is AT&T.  They couldn't answer any of questions.  Their attitude was "get new boxes and see what happens".  I asked if we do update, can a tech come out to install the new equipment.  They said, "yes, but there will be a charge for that".  If a tech can't make it work with my current internet, they said I'd have to bring back the new X1 boxes and they would credit me for the new boxes and for the technician visit.  Terrible communication from a communications company.

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

1 year ago

does anyone else have trouble with the remote for the new box???  it does not work all the time

Contributor

• 

87 Messages

@cmw112​  Do you have the XR15 remote?
We are still getting used to ours, but I wouldn't say that it didn't work.
Can you give an example? Are you saying that sometimes it does something and other times it doesn't? 
If you follow the prompts at the link below, you may be able to do a factory reset:
xfinity.com/support/remotes
(After selecting your TV brand, look under "Programming Your Remote" to see if it says: "If you are still having issues..."

Contributor

• 

111 Messages

@bruelas​ We just had X1 installed a few days ago.  We have trouble with the volume button.  Have to keep hitting it  many times for either up or down.  Sometimes it works fine, other times not.  Occasionally, the power button has to be hit a few times to work.  Everything else on remote works fine.

1 Message

1 year ago

I too am getting the run around with X finity. Have a message need to update box . When I check 1995 , it states my box is good to go . When you call the number to update it sends you to a text link . I have yet to speak to anyone. I am going to our local store to get in person answers 

Also , my cable is part of my homeowners association so now with no on demand access this has become a matter for them to handle . My tv box is just 5 years old . I do not want this change and now can not watch on demand shows . 
Frustrated does not cover how I feel right now 

Help ! 
L

Contributor

• 

87 Messages

@user_47b798​ Sorry, I'm not familiar with HOA--when you say it's a matter for THEM to handle, are you saying they make decisions on what cable equipment and package you get?

We decided to make the change and it was messy, so I don't know that I can offer good advice, but I CAN CONFIRM THAT X1 and OnDemand work with OUR Standard Definition television set. We have a TV with no HDMI port and we had the option to connect using our own AV cables or using the COAX provided by Xfinity. THE PROBLEM with very old TV sets however is the image on screen may be cut off or squashed and you may have to adjust the resolution. We found that we had to use a higher resolution to watch the "apps," but when we do that, the tv guide is cut off on the sides.

From what I understand, the technology is changing no matter what, so there is nothing you can do to get OnDemand back on an "old" cable box. If you're not ready to switch out your box, one option is to get a ROKU or other cheap "streaming HDMI device" to watch OnDemand shows on the Xfinity Stream app. That has it's own limitations and annoyances, but might be a short-term solution while you decide if you want to make the change.
If you all DO make the change, I'm curious if it's "free" as they say. I used "CHAT" to do the transaction and it got confusing and in the end, I got switched to a new plan/promotion with a year contract. I'm wondering if my old plan was a "grandfathered" one and perhaps your old plan will NOT work with X1.

I didn't appreciate the run-around and people telling me different things, but in the end I'm glad we switched because overall, the convenience and entertainment options improved.
The most annoying to me:
-I miss the "Last" or "Prev" button on the remote. Now, we have to press Back then Enter to go to the last channel (also takes 2 steps to change the channel)
-I miss the On Demand menu. In some ways, things are easier to find because you can type the first few letters of a show or say the title using the voice remote, but I kind of miss the old-style blue list.
FYI, the new boxes we got are models XG1-A and XG1-P and we kept one of our small adapters (with limited channels and no On Demand).
GOOD LUCK all!

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello @user_47b798

I would love to help get this update sorted out for you. I am going to need to take a look at the specific box. 

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

111 Messages

@bruelas​ We finally switched to X1 a few days ago. because Xfinity dropped our On-Demand without any specific notice, except "upcoming weeks".  We're ok with the X1, except for the On-Demand.  The old On-Demand was good, the new one is terrible, in our opinion.  Guess we have to keep playing with it.  We do like the Voice command.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here