Community Forum

How do I see a message located in one of the archives?

Welcome to our Comcast Help & Support Forums

FAQ

Contributor

How do I see a message located in one of the archives?

Specifically, a message I want to review is located in the "TV Archive". I cannot bring it up to look at. How do I go about doing this?

Problem Solver

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?

Have you tried right-clicking on the message and 'opening in a new tab/window/browser'?

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Administrator

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?


@LazerFlash wrote:

Specifically, a message I want to review is located in the "TV Archive". I cannot bring it up to look at. How do I go about doing this?


@LazerFlash,

 

Welcome to the Xfinity Forum and thank you for posting your question here. As mentioned in our Archival Project Announcement (found here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Getting-Started/Xfinity-Help-amp-Support-Forum-Archival-Project/td-p/3...) states that "When a topic is archived you will still be able to view this post or link to them for insight in new discussions, you will simply not be able to continue the discussion. After some time in this public archive, it will no longer searchable or viewable." After leaving the archive open for over 1 year we made a decision to make the archive inaccessible to all users. This continues to assist us in our efforts to organize and maintain the forum. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that you may experience due to this change. 

 

To add some additional details about the Xfinity Forum Archive, posts are only archived if they meet the following 3 requirements;  they have reached a certain age, they have few replies and have a low view count. We ask that if you have a question, comment or concern that you find the most appropriate board for your post type and author a new post there. 

 

Thank you in advance for your understanding. Please let us know if you need anything else. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?


@ComcastJessie wrote:

@LazerFlash wrote:

Specifically, a message I want to review is located in the "TV Archive". I cannot bring it up to look at. How do I go about doing this?


After leaving the archive open for over 1 year we made a decision to make the archive inaccessible to all users. This continues to assist us in our efforts to organize and maintain the forum. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that you may experience due to this change. 


This is not very helpful to those of us looking for answers that might be useful in our search for answers. I would humbly request that you reconsider the decision to close out the archive to end users. This seems to me to be a sort of corporate censorship. Why not let those for whom these forums were intended be the ultimate judge of what is or is not useful?

Contributor

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?


@jav6joev wrote:

Have you tried right-clicking on the message and 'opening in a new tab/window/browser'?


Yeah, tried that. It brings up the generic "What can we help you with?' page.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?


@LazerFlash wrote: ... I would humbly request that you reconsider the decision to close out the archive to end users. ...

Seconded.

 

What seems especially odd is that some of the archived articles still appear in forum search results, but attempting to access them returns me to the Forums home page. For example, https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=a%20point%20about%20packet%20loss%20co... returns an article by @CajunTek that I refer to from time to time, but the article is no longer accessible.

 

Why return a search result that isn't really available? What's the point???

Regular Contributor

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?

To continue with this thread, what rational human decided to allow inaccessible archive threads in the forum search results?????

 

Trying to find a solution to one problem I'm having, searching the forum results in around 75% of the search results being from the archives.

 

Is there actually a software engineering team anywhere to be found?

Expert

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?


@plummerl wrote:

To continue with this thread, what rational human decided to allow inaccessible archive threads in the forum search results?????

 

Trying to find a solution to one problem I'm having, searching the forum results in around 75% of the search results being from the archives.

 

Is there actually a software engineering team anywhere to be found?


Post your problem in the appropriate forum and you might find your solution that way.  Often archived items contain outdate information.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?


@Again wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

To continue with this thread, what rational human decided to allow inaccessible archive threads in the forum search results?????

 

Trying to find a solution to one problem I'm having, searching the forum results in around 75% of the search results being from the archives.

 

Is there actually a software engineering team anywhere to be found?


Post your problem in the appropriate forum and you might find your solution that way.  Often archived items contain outdate information.


How on earth does this respond to my posting? The issue, is that doing a search, which is the normal approach to finding solutions, is returning a plethora of hits that point to possible solutions that are in an archive that cannot be penetrated! In one archive return, it was archived a mere 7 months ago.

Expert

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?


@plummerl wrote:

@Again wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

To continue with this thread, what rational human decided to allow inaccessible archive threads in the forum search results?????

 

Trying to find a solution to one problem I'm having, searching the forum results in around 75% of the search results being from the archives.

 

Is there actually a software engineering team anywhere to be found?


Post your problem in the appropriate forum and you might find your solution that way.  Often archived items contain outdate information.


How on earth does this respond to my posting? The issue, is that doing a search, which is the normal approach to finding solutions, is returning a plethora of hits that point to possible solutions that are in an archive that cannot be penetrated! In one archive return, it was archived a mere 7 months ago.


It may have been removed 7 months ago, but the post/thread may have been outdated and closed.  We strive to keep updated information available, and in order to do so sometimes it's necessary to remove and archive some posts/threads.

 

If you choose to not accept that and won't post your issue so that you can receive update help, that's fine.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?


@Again wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

@Again wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

To continue with this thread, what rational human decided to allow inaccessible archive threads in the forum search results?????

 

Trying to find a solution to one problem I'm having, searching the forum results in around 75% of the search results being from the archives.

 

Is there actually a software engineering team anywhere to be found?


Post your problem in the appropriate forum and you might find your solution that way.  Often archived items contain outdate information.


How on earth does this respond to my posting? The issue, is that doing a search, which is the normal approach to finding solutions, is returning a plethora of hits that point to possible solutions that are in an archive that cannot be penetrated! In one archive return, it was archived a mere 7 months ago.


It may have been removed 7 months ago, but the post/thread may have been outdated and closed.  We strive to keep updated information available, and in order to do so sometimes it's necessary to remove and archive some posts/threads.

 

If you choose to not accept that and won't post your issue so that you can receive update help, that's fine.


I think that maybe the point here is not whether outdated posts are closed, archived, and made unavailable, but rather that they're showing up in search results at all. Maybe I'm making a gross oversimplification, but it would seem to me that it should be a simple programming requirement to simply not return archived posts at all.

Frequent Visitor

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?


@Again wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

@Again wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

To continue with this thread, what rational human decided to allow inaccessible archive threads in the forum search results?????

 

Trying to find a solution to one problem I'm having, searching the forum results in around 75% of the search results being from the archives.

 

Is there actually a software engineering team anywhere to be found?


Post your problem in the appropriate forum and you might find your solution that way.  Often archived items contain outdate information.


How on earth does this respond to my posting? The issue, is that doing a search, which is the normal approach to finding solutions, is returning a plethora of hits that point to possible solutions that are in an archive that cannot be penetrated! In one archive return, it was archived a mere 7 months ago.


It may have been removed 7 months ago, but the post/thread may have been outdated and closed.  We strive to keep updated information available, and in order to do so sometimes it's necessary to remove and archive some posts/threads.

 

If you choose to not accept that and won't post your issue so that you can receive update help, that's fine.



OTOH, I also find it a bit restricting that in a technology world with many different configurations - some cutting edge, but many not so much - that the Comcast Community Forums would not consider the possibility that older information might be exactly what some are looking for.

Regular Contributor

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?


@LazerFlash01 wrote:

@Again wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

@Again wrote:

@plummerl wrote:

To continue with this thread, what rational human decided to allow inaccessible archive threads in the forum search results?????

 

Trying to find a solution to one problem I'm having, searching the forum results in around 75% of the search results being from the archives.

 

Is there actually a software engineering team anywhere to be found?


Post your problem in the appropriate forum and you might find your solution that way.  Often archived items contain outdate information.


How on earth does this respond to my posting? The issue, is that doing a search, which is the normal approach to finding solutions, is returning a plethora of hits that point to possible solutions that are in an archive that cannot be penetrated! In one archive return, it was archived a mere 7 months ago.


It may have been removed 7 months ago, but the post/thread may have been outdated and closed.  We strive to keep updated information available, and in order to do so sometimes it's necessary to remove and archive some posts/threads.

 

If you choose to not accept that and won't post your issue so that you can receive update help, that's fine.


I think that maybe the point here is not whether outdated posts are closed, archived, and made unavailable, but rather that they're showing up in search results at all. Maybe I'm making a gross oversimplification, but it would seem to me that it should be a simple programming requirement to simply not return archived posts at all.


Exactly! I've tried to get across this point twice now, each time it's deflected.

Expert

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?

@LazerFlash01 

 

your quote: "OTOH, I also find it a bit restricting that in a technology world with many different configurations - some cutting edge, but many not so much - that the Comcast Community Forums would not consider the possibility that older information might be exactly what some are looking for."

 

If you have been coding (programing) as long as I (starting back in 1979), you already know the answer. Yes! There are some good information found in different forums (<1% of respronses).

 

Computer generated searches only work if the computer programers:

- code the search links correctly.

- Links have not been lost due to corrupted files due to hacking, power outages, etc..

- stored data has not grown so large as to affect time and cost to locate requested info.

- Search is only as good as the person typing in search word(s) and delineating search words correctly.

 

Good programmers are scarce. The Programing is done by an outside company Koros (used to be Lithium). All large corporations use outside sources for coding. You are asking for the imposible. This whole subject fits: "Not worth saving for 99% of responses."

 

 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?


@MNtundraRET wrote:

If you have been coding (programing) as long as I (starting back in 1979), you already know the answer. Yes! There are some good information found in different forums (<1% of respronses).

 

LOL We are both of a bygone age... My first programming was done in the mid-70's via punched paper tape, in a relatively new programming language called BASIC. (I even have in a drawer or box somewhere a mimeographed copy of one of the early versions of the progamming guide from Dartmouth and signed by K&K (Kemeny and Kurtz)). My first paying IT gig was programming in COBOL and ALC on an IBM 360 mainframe using punch cards.

 


@MNtundraRET wrote

Good programmers are scarce. The Programing is done by an outside company Koros (used to be Lithium).


Sadly, this is true. Nowadays, almost anyone can get a job "coding" having very little real world (or common sense) experience. And companies, wanting to rush to get new versions out quickly - with minimal resources spent on testing - rely on the general public to be "wide-area beta testers". Witness how many major (and even some secondary) releases that have a x.x.1 release within a couple of weeks of initial release.

 

Like you, I'm sure, I have forgotten more about programming, data analysis, system design, QA, and just  good practices than today's coders will ever know.

Expert

Re: How do I see a message located in one of the archives?


@LazerFlash01 wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

If you have been coding (programing) as long as I (starting back in 1979), you already know the answer. Yes! There are some good information found in different forums (<1% of respronses).

 

LOL We are both of a bygone age... My first programming was done in the mid-70's via punched paper tape, in a relatively new programming language called BASIC. (I even have in a drawer or box somewhere a mimeographed copy of one of the early versions of the progamming guide from Dartmouth and signed by K&K (Kemeny and Kurtz)). My first paying IT gig was programming in COBOL and ALC on an IBM 360 mainframe using punch cards.

 


@MNtundraRET wrote

Good programmers are scarce. The Programing is done by an outside company Koros (used to be Lithium).


Sadly, this is true. Nowadays, almost anyone can get a job "coding" having very little real world (or common sense) experience. And companies, wanting to rush to get new versions out quickly - with minimal resources spent on testing - rely on the general public to be "wide-area beta testers". Witness how many major (and even some secondary) releases that have a x.x.1 release within a couple of weeks of initial release.

 

Like you, I'm sure, I have forgotten more about programming, data analysis, system design, QA, and just  good practices than today's coders will ever know.


Been there, done that. You forgot to mention working in Assembly language and having full control over vectoring and parallel processing using the available CPU's of the time. Most programing now is done by the computer's because of complexity of the code.

 

"Garbage in! Garbage out" happens more often now.   Smiley Wink

I understand what you say; but it is only "easy" for those of us who could solve coding 'bugs" by sleeping on it and training ourselves to wake up and write down the code before we forgot the fix.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!