coles1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, September 30th, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

Unusually high data usage megathread

Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@katrina091686 wrote:

Same issue here too, averaging 650/m gb usage over the last 6 months but this month im at 1,264 as of today and I still have 3 days left of November. Haven't done anything differently this month but its at double? Makes no sense!

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

I have also asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly for any next steps. Thanks for your patience.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-avoid-overage-charges

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

4 years ago

Well,

what about the rest of us who are obviously having issues with overage that we are NOT using. How can you no be at home? All wireless devices are with you? You are 1,000 miles away? Everything at your home is turned off? And still you exceed the data usage?  Respecfully, this matter needs to be addressed publicly and expediously. This duck and cover approach in avoiding customer service is just not professional. Comcast cannot say these are "isolated incidents." Same song and verse, different customers throughout the country.

Please help us and stop this craziness. This does not have to escalate into a class action suit, as others have suggested.

Thank you.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

@midtenner wrote:
Yes,

we have the same problem. Is it a coincidence or a valid issue? We don't know, because no on is willing to help. The poor girl at the Comcast store was frustrated because management wouldn't help her by offering answers to the problem. She felt like she was getting the run around. We promised to tell her personally what the end result to all this craziness is. Exhausting.

The overage is a "valid issue".

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/comcast-incorrectly-charged-2000-customers-for-exceeding-data-cap/

To be clear, the above referes to a "valid issue" for about 2,000 customers who we identified and credited.  

To put that in perspective, that's about .008% of our high speed data customers. While unfortunate and certainly not intended, we identified that issue, addressed it and worked to make that right with the customers that were affected. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@ldk150 wrote:

This is happening to us. We average 500 to 700 GBs of data use in my household. The last month they said we used about 900 GB and this month they are saying we have used 1100 GB with three days left. I am monitoring our data through my router and it is saying that we have used 675 GB for the month. Nothing is wired and everything is wireless in my household. They keep telling me there is nothing they can do, but I need to monitor it.  They cannot tell me where this 400 GB of data usage bleed is and do not want to help.

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

I have also asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly for any next steps. Thanks for your patience.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Marc_Madness wrote:

Add me to the list.  My family and I typically use anywhere between 500GB and 700GB a month.  We had one month in the summer we used around 900GB.  Now, somehow for the month of November we have used 1,078GB.  I've tried talking to several Comcast Xfinity Agents/Representatives and I keep getting the runaround.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. Your data usage in June (871 Gb), July (949 Gb)  and November (1084 Gb) are fairly comparable. 

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further. 

The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@gthassell wrote:

@ComcastTeds ,

Thank you for your reply, but now, 6 days later, no one has reached out to me either by email or phone, in spite of your note that you reached out to a colleague to follow up.   In examinig my home network, it appears that at the points in time of the extremely high usage (concentrated over a several day period that seems to coincide with others' experiences), there was SIGNIFICANT data traffic to my inbound gateway (passing through the modem, that did NOT pass through my security gateway, which exists on my side of the modem.  That, to me, seemingly indicates that either the process for monitoring data is somehow causing excess data usage, OR that there are attempts to breach a network that are being stopped by my security gateway, but are not being originated from within my network.

I'd be happy to discuss with someone on the comcast team - but as I mentioned - no one has contacted me.  

Has Comcast looked into whether or not some / all of these massive fluctuations in data usage are something along the lines of DDOS attacks pointed at specific IP addresses / modems?  

Give the massive amounts of data usage being reported in this forum / thread (e.g. - 208 GB in 14 hours in my case - overnight on 11/19 to 11/20, it seems like that could be a cuplrit - as there is no way (to my knoweldge at least) I could have done that overnight.

Apologies, I am checking on your case now.  Someone is expected to reach out to you today.

As posted by a customer on the previous page - our teams see more than a few instances where applications like online drives (iCloud is just one example) syncing constantly and/or "getting stuck" can cause significant data usage.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@BIGR8DR wrote:

Has anyone gotten an answer to the unknown data usage appearing on accounts. I somehow burned through 11gb between midnight and 6am with NOTHING running out of the ordinary. Within that time frame, between 7am and 9am I've burned through 3gb of data, with only my laptop connected.

I know this for a fact because I factory reset my modem and changed my passwords. So basically, using my laptop to reconfigure my modem/route used 3gb of data? Come on Comcast whats REALLY going on? 

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. 

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further.

The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@midtenner wrote:
Well,

what about the rest of us who are obviously having issues with overage that we are NOT using. How can you no be at home? All wireless devices are with you? You are 1,000 miles away? Everything at your home is turned off? And still you exceed the data usage?  Respecfully, this matter needs to be addressed publicly and expediously. This duck and cover approach in avoiding customer service is just not professional. Comcast cannot say these are "isolated incidents." Same song and verse, different customers throughout the country.

Please help us and stop this craziness. This does not have to escalate into a class action suit, as others have suggested.

Thank you.

Apologies. From your earlier posts, it sounds like our team has been in contact with you and is researching the specifics on your account. Thanks for your assistance and cooperation. It is much appreciated. 

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a loyalty credit to your account while our team researches your account further. 

As posted by a customer on the previous page - our teams see more than a few instances where applications like online drives (iCloud is just one example) syncing constantly and/or "getting stuck" can cause significant data usage.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@johnn2 wrote:

@ComcastTeds 

Where are you, can you not help!!!

Was on vacation during the Thanksgiving holiday.

Hope you had time with family and friends as well.  Been helping and continue to assist.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@ValuedCustomer2 wrote:

We have been long time loyal Xfinity customers over 10 years. 

Our average data use over the last 5 months was 456GB.  This last month Xfinity is showing that we went over 1400GB! 

There is absolutely no way we could have used this much data.  

Xfinity, please reinstate our 'courtesy month' as we have not used this data.

average montly data vs Novemberaverage montly data vs November

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@jbarvinsky wrote:

My husband and I suspected long ago that Comcast was not calculating the data usage correctly and today we have kind of a proof: It's December 1st and at 7am he accidentally checked traffic usage because the app was open on his phone, just to find out that we "used" 11GB of traffic in 7 hours at night with 99% of our devices offline (yes our wifi is secure, no neighbors can leech on it).

So he called Comcast and went "up the suppot chain" just to get the last agent hang up on him after they promissed to "investigate" and nobody called back despite they eagerly asked for the call back number earlier. So we had a feeling that they made it look like we hung up just in case the calls are recorded or something.

And of course there was the same speech in the beginning from the initial agent: "You are not using our modem so we can't see which device on your network is using that much traffic".

Well, of course we are not giving comcast the ability to spy on us and we have our own modem and our own router with opensource firmware with an ability to monitor traffic. And guess what? The router shows about 500MB of traffic usage during the last 9 hours at the moment of this writing.

My huband is going to prepare to file a class action lawsuite against comcast so if any of you guys have any more supporting data, please post here. This artificial data cap is absolutely unfair, we believe that Comcast is "cooking up" usage data in their favor to push people to pay $50 for the "unlimted" traffic or pay overages and we intent to bring this practice to the end. Please support us.

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@ecinut wrote:

I am experiencing the terabyte overage/usage spike starting with November usage, and to my knowledge I was not notified about being one of the affected users, so it seems that at least in my case the problem is still not fixed.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

These copy and paste answers aren't cutting it.  The $50 credit is appreciated but I'd much rather have an honest assessment as to what is happening.  You should also reinstate everyone's courtesy months.

We received a text that someone from Corporate was trying to contact us and left us a phone number that said to call and leave a message and we'd receive a response in 24-48 hours.  Nothing. 

Our date usage is still off the charts ridiculous the past 2 months despite nothing changing on our end regarding usage.  We supposedly used 91 GB of data of the first day of December which would put us close to 3 TB for the month.  Up from around 762 GB in September.

Comcast needs to address this asap and the issue appears to be affecting way more customers that they are leading on.  I'm giving this about 10 days and then it's off to another provider.   

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@tabamccoy wrote:

These copy and paste answers aren't cutting it.  The $50 credit is appreciated but I'd much rather have an honest assessment as to what is happening.  You should also reinstate everyone's courtesy months.

We received a text that someone from Corporate was trying to contact us and left us a phone number that said to call and leave a message and we'd receive a response in 24-48 hours.  Nothing. 

Our date usage is still off the charts ridiculous the past 2 months despite nothing changing on our end regarding usage.  We supposedly used 91 GB of data of the first day of December which would put us close to 3 TB for the month.  Up from around 762 GB in September.

Comcast needs to address this asap and the issue appears to be affecting way more customers that they are leading on.  I'm giving this about 10 days and then it's off to another provider.   

Apologies. Looks like from 11/15 through 11/19 Matthew  W. on our team reached out via voicemail, e-mail and USPS mail.  He left his direct contact information for follow-up.

I will send you that information via Private Message so that you have that.  

Thanks for your patience. 

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

4 years ago

As of this morning, December 2, 2019 at 10:33 am  we talked with Comcast Security...yet again. The representatives of Comcast continue to read from the same dialog. They don't have any idea how this is happening. Our WIFI is secure. Even being on vacation for 5 days during Thanksgiving, the usage is ridiculous. They fail to offer refund, intelligent explanations, or even the least bit of assistance. And yet, they content what customers experience in new to them. Meanwhile, you only have to read the comments in this forum to see it's an issue....and it continues to go unaddressed.

As much as I would like to champion an effort to have Comcast investgated, we are signing off...and going with another service.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here