coles1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, September 30th, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

Unusually high data usage megathread

Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Data is still out of control. I keep everything off all day and only stream at night. Now i use my phone and cast to tv since i can change settings on amazon to low resolution. Didn't help much. I used to watch you tube all day and only use 10gb. What happened. Now its 2 or 3 gb an hour. Impossible.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@jrharrigan wrote:

My data also spiked in the wake of being told my speed would be increasing. As part of this nonsense, Comcast somehow managed to remove the settings in my account that I had set to give me 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90 percent warnings. All I got was a 90 percent warning, and a violation of the cap a few days later.

I started monitoring my traffic from the router (every single thing in my home that connects does so through the router) and I am nowhere near the usage Comcast claims. 

Curiously, all past data usage is wiped from my record.

This is so very clearly a failure on Comcast's part that I barely know what to say. I want my overage month restored, and I want the data I actually use to be counted. It's bad enough that we have this data cap to begin with, but when Comcast can move in behind it,

You have the chance to address it. Please do so.

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

I have also asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly for any next steps. Thanks for your patience.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@RSucher wrote:

I was also affected by this problem and had my September and October data usage wiped, as well as receiving a refund of my courtesy months. A colleague of yours posted on these forums that those affected would receive a $50 credit on their account; however, with my most recent billing statement it doesn't seem to be on there. Will it be on next month's billing statement?

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Our family is having this same issue.  We went from averaging 750GB of usage from May through August to just over 1 GB in October and we are already up to 935 GB through the first 13 days of November.  I honestly have no idea how we were even at 750GB prior to September given the Comcast definitions of how much usage is necessary to approach the 1 GB limit (21 hours of streaming TV a day, 12,000 hours of online gaming, etc) as we are nowhere near those usage numbers.  

There is clearly something wrong if a family that doesn't download movies and rarely does online gaming will be pushing 2 GB of data this month!

I tried calling the help line and grew tired of waiting on hold and based upon the experiences of others, those reps have not been helpful at all.

Hoping to receive the same level of service and quick responses that other folks have received in this forum.  Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

@tabamccoy wrote:

Our family is having this same issue.  We went from averaging 750GB of usage from May through August to just over 1 GB in October and we are already up to 935 GB through the first 13 days of November.  I honestly have no idea how we were even at 750GB prior to September given the Comcast definitions of how much usage is necessary to approach the 1 GB limit (21 hours of streaming TV a day, 12,000 hours of online gaming, etc) as we are nowhere near those usage numbers.  

There is clearly something wrong if a family that doesn't download movies and rarely does online gaming will be pushing 2 GB of data this month!

I tried calling the help line and grew tired of waiting on hold and based upon the experiences of others, those reps have not been helpful at all.

Hoping to receive the same level of service and quick responses that other folks have received in this forum.  Thank you.

Obviously meant to say 1 terabyte and 2 terabyes above where I said 1 GB and 2 GB.  Haven't received a reply yet but in the last 24 hours we've apparently used 77 GB more of date despite most of the family being gone all day.  Something is not right!  If I don't get answers, it will be back to another provided for me.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@tabamccoy wrote:

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this.  It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

I have also asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly for any next steps. Thanks for your patience.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@tabamccoy wrote:

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this.  It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Thank you so much for your quick response.  I do see the credit now but the bigger issue is the data usage as this has to be an error.  Hoping the account review will help out with this and also restore our 2 overage courtesy months.  Thanks again.

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

4 years ago

After all my whining here on this Forum topic thread, Comcast did in fact credit us $50 on our last bill, so "credit where credit is due" sort of thing.  But, I hope we never see THAT issue again, because it took loads of troubleshooting time on our home LAN before we figured out it was down to Comcast's  responsibility for abnormal data run-up.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I am having the same problem with incorrect data usage reports.  Comcast is claiming that I used 70 percent on my 1024GB data allowance on November 12, an average daily rate of almost 60GB!  This is absurd since I am the only person at home the whole day (my two sons are at school and my wife works) and I do not use the internet for anything other than reading news on websites.  And then I received an advisory on November 15 that I had used 80 percent of my allowance, followed by another advisory on November 17 that I had used 90 percent of my allowance.  50GB per day of data usage?  I'm guessing that such a level of usage could only be reached by several people spending 10 plus hours per day of HD streaming.

And although I didn't think it through until I encountered this thread, Comcast also claimed that my October data usage went from 90 percent to 100 percent in only two days (from Monday to Wednesday), another alleged usage of 51GB per day.

Contributor

• 

206 Messages

4 years ago

There is no logical reason for Comcast to even have a data cap in this day and age. This is a pure cash grab. Comcast should do away with the 1TB cap and allow unrestricted use of the internet service that we pay for with our own equipment. The gigabit internet is of no use to me if I hit the 1TB wall by the 2nd week of the month. Unlimited data should be available to all speed tiers at no charge.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

@TurnerBrewer wrote:
There is no logical reason for Comcast to even have a data cap in this day and age. This is a pure cash grab.

Don't you see that you are contradicting yourself there?

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

4 years ago

@TurnerBrewer wrote:
There is no logical reason for Comcast to even have a data cap in this day and age. This is a pure cash grab. Comcast should do away with the 1TB cap and allow unrestricted use of the internet service that we pay for with our own equipment. The gigabit internet is of no use to me if I hit the 1TB wall by the 2nd week of the month. Unlimited data should be available to all speed tiers at no charge.

Amen, bro...spot-on critique.  Strictly business decision to forestall "cord-cutting" by limiting Internet streaming as a viable alternative to cable programming.  But, then again, pay the Company a n extra $50/mo. and get unlimited streaming...either way, they are going to win, in an uncompetitive environment.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I've spent most of the day on the phone trying to figure out how could I have used close to 900Gb of data in "one" day (November 15).

After doing some research online I've noticed that I am not the only person suffering with such discrepancy. 

Can anyone explain how the data is counted? I am planning to run my own Firewall to make sure I can compare numbers. 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

FWIW, this issue was supposedly fixed last month @RobertWy 

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Xfinity has not responded confirming I was part of the reported glitch, and the overage still shows on my account. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here