swingingby's profile

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

Wednesday, April 5th, 2023 12:56 AM

Closed

on demand message need to upgrade to X1

Message  viewed On Demand stating the loss of some networks/stations unavailable without upgrading to X1. 

I have a non-X1 cable box with a monthly package add on:  Digital Preferred including On Demand programing. 

If I don't upgrade to X1 does this mean I can't see some of my stations On Demand anymore?  If that's the case then I

would like to see what stations or networks are being eliminated so I can make a decision.  

Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

@swingingby 

Thank you for posting your questions here in the Xfinity Forum. We’re changing how we deliver our On Demand programming, allowing us to provide new features, capabilities and long-term improvements in network efficiency. As we make these changes, however, customers with select TV Boxes will no longer be able to access their On Demand content, including Subscription Video On Demand (SVOD) services. This change will impact all Video On Demand services. However, by upgrading your equipment you will be able to continue to receive all the On Demand content that is currently included in your television package. 

You can initiate the television equipment swap here: https://www.xfinity.com/equipmentupdate

Please let us know if you have any other questions or need additional assistance. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityJessie​ YES! I went and got new xfinity boxes with new remotes but still there is NO on demand....WHY?

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

2 years ago

I have the exact same question. when I upgraded to select+ I specifically refused the x1 box, with its' tiled-interface. I still use the silver/red remote (you can actually see it at night). there was no mention of this upgrade in the last monthly statement. 

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

@dapper921​ and what does 'next few weeks' mean? don't even know when this msg first appeared. tried callng c/s, hung up after 10 minutes of robo-prompts.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

@dapper921​ The message just appeared a few days ago since I watch On Demand a lot.  I also have an old non-x1 box and remote which I like to use.

The tiled format of X1 and voice controlled remote is not for me.  Why do they offer this upgrade when I am happy with what I have?  

A list of the "unable to view" stations/networks would be nice.  Otherwise, it appears they are forcing us to upgrade and pay more money.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

@dapper921​ Well guess what...the message has been deleted a/o yesterday.  I guess it was an error or they changed their minds. 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello and thank you for your post. I want to share this great link that will talk more about the importance of updating your Xfinity equipment: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/what-to-know-when-updating-x1-tv-box

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

473 Messages

HI there @dapper921. Thanks for reaching out. I understand that you may love the Non-X1 box, but the upgrade is needed and included at no additional charge. There are so many benefits of the X1 platform. Additionally, this equipment swap will allow you to continue using the Video On Demand services already included in your service. 

We apologize that you had trouble reaching out to customer service about this as well. Did you still need further assistance?

(edited)

I no longer work for Comcast. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

577 Messages

1 year ago

The same thing happened to me this week and last November.  The message appeared in the On Demand menu - no notification on my bill, no direct contact via email, text, nor voice - then the message disappeared within hours.  I did not lose my access to On Demand then; we'll see what happens now...

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

@Bulkington​ I read from different forums that this is done at various times and years.

The response from  Xfinity Devin C was that "it's needed and with so many benefits. 

How can a person that's happy with what they have, believe that it's needed.  It's not for my needs but theirs.

Problem Solver

• 

908 Messages

@swingingby

Great question! There is nothing I can find that states that upgrading to X1 is necessary, but it may be necessary in order to view that On Dema d content. 

When you receive the message "the loss of some networks/stations unavailable without upgrading to X1", is this verbatim what is states? Is there an error code accompanying this message? 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

63 Messages

@XfinityElizabethA​   No there is not .   and when I follow the info and go to channel 1995, it says my top box is good to go.   What am I supposed to get from this?  If I do not get a new box, is it that I lose On Demand only?

Valued Contributor

• 

406 Messages

Hello, @cmw112.

At this time, the equipment swap we are requesting customers to complete at this time only impacts Video On Demand services including any Subscription On Demand services. However, without the update, there could be other features that you lose in the future as we continue to make improvements. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or comments. 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

63 Messages

@XfinityTimothy​ SO, if I keep this box,,  I will just lose all On Demand shows. Is this correct??   Thanks for your help.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

1 year ago

The issue is because Comcast is moving more and more video to IP (Internet) based services. The old, legacy iGuide boxes only support standard QAM tuners. Many newer channels the past few years are only available as IP channels, or at least HD versions are only IP. The frequencies being tied up to service the old-style OnDemand will go to expanding Internet speeds.

Just be aware that Comcast no longer has a contract with the company that made the iGuide software, so there have been no updates on Comcast systems for many years.

Regular Visitor

• 

10 Messages

1 year ago

I, too, was just forced to downgrade to the X1 box, and dislike it as much as I did when I tried it for two days a couple years ago.

1) It is slo-o-o-w. It takes time for each digit to appear when entering a channel number, it then requires a click on "OK" to register that channel, and then three dots appear for 10 seconds before the channel appears on the screen. It took less time for an outdoor antenna to swivel with 1950s TVs!

2) It doesn't have sorted favorites lists, so looking for, say, a movie channel is now a pain.

3) The tiling in the "On Demand" menu makes the system even slower--graphics scroll slowly, and less appears on a single screen. Why isn't "text only" an option under preferences?

4) It can't handle favorites. I've multiple starred channels (like ABC) that don't show up as favorites when using the guide. Because the thing is so slow, I don't want to have to reconstruct the favorites list every time I use it. (I found this was complaint a couple years ago. It still hasn't been fixed!)

5) There is no way to completely disable its own "power saving" function. I usually have the BBC World Service on throughout the day, listening and only looking up when a video with a report interests me. On multiple times in the past three days, I've looked up to see that the TV has switched to its own screensaver. This in no way saves power, so why is it built into the system? (Even with Power Saving off, the "nap time" kicks in if the remote hasn't been touched for four hours.)

Did it occur to Comcast to ask its customers what legacy features they liked before switching to the X1 system?

Since the X1 has been out for several years now, I'm afraid it's no longer v1.0, and a patch with bug fixes probably won't be appearing any time soon.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

1 year ago

It sounds like you got the horrible XG2v2. The one with the vertical light on the front right corner. Grossly underpowered. You can complain and try to get an XG1v4, which is MUCH faster. 

Regular Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@andyross​ Thanks for the information! My box does indeed have the vertical light on the right, and my Xfinity profile says I have model PX022ANM, which is an XG2v2-P. I don't think my local store has the XG1v4 in stock, but I'll do all I can to effect an exchange. (Comcast techs keep commenting on my 40 years with Comcast, so....) If I can get a responsive box, I'll have much less reason to look for other ways to get the BBC World News channel.

Thanks again!

P.S. I'm not sure how much 4K content is available, but since I've a 4K set, there might be a bonus for me in this.

Contributor

• 

222 Messages

1 year ago

On the bill that I just received is this notice:

We're replacing your TV equipment - at no additional cost. As early as
May 31, 2023, one or more of your TV boxes will no longer allow you to access
Xfinity On Demand. To continue to access your favorite content, call 1-800-
xfinity to connect with an agent who can help set up a no-cost professional
installation for your new TV equipment. Please note, with this equipment
update, you will still have access to your previously purchased On Demand
titles, but you may lose access to all your DVR recordings.

So, at least for me, sometime on May 31st or after, my legacy STBs will no longer be able to access Xfinity On Demand.

Contributor

• 

198 Messages

1 year ago

Just started getting the 0-VOD TV Box Update Needed message on my Legacy boxes in the Denver market. I have one older Motorola and the others are the newest Pace boxes (which are inferior to the Motorola). I just called to ask if tech support had any more info, and the knowledgeable rep couldn't find anything after several ways of searching.

I am also not a fan of X1 at all (have helped my neighbor with her system many times over the years) for some of the same reasons as previously mentioned - only one Favorites menu, very slow responsiveness - but also poor UI design overall and, especially, the channel guide. Plus, I can't network them in my house the same way I can with the Legacy boxes. I will definitely miss the Legacy system once it's completely removed.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

198 Messages

1 year ago

Somehow, no Xfinity agents can find the info on when and which boxes, but I just found this article on Xfinity's site. So it's ALL Legacy boxes and it actually starts in a few weeks. Like I said, I just got the box message, but I haven't had anything in a bill yet. I still think I will hang onto the Legacy boxes, though, since they are better than X1, and I can get OnDemand though the Xfinity app and other apps, so not advantage to using an X1 box.

Starting May 31, 2023, customers with the following TV Boxes will begin to lose the ability to view Xfinity On Demand programming, including Subscription On Demand services:

• All non-X1 TV Boxes
  • RNG150 and Pace XG1v1 X1 TV Boxes

If affected by this update, you’ll be notified by bill message approximately 60 days before you lose Xfinity On Demand service

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-removed-select-tv-boxes

(edited)

Contributor

• 

63 Messages

@sbwinter2​ How do I know what kind of box I have?  My bill is online and no mention of upgrade.  When I went to channel 1995 , it said my set up box was good to go.  Am I OK? Thanks

Regular Visitor

• 

10 Messages

To see if you have an X1 box, you can go to https://customer.xfinity.com/#/devices. (You'll have to log in.) To get more information about the box, I checked the model number on the back and did an online search for it.

The date of the changeover to X1 seems to be varying by state, but it looks like "On Demand" will require an X1 box by May 31 for all regions.

Contributor

• 

143 Messages

@sbwinter2​ Thank you very much for your information.  It was so helpful.

I live in the Bay Area of CA and I have not seen the May 31 deadline anywhere(only a message "update needed" on OnDemand. 

This awful change sounds like a disaster for many folks trying to use it.  Myself included.

I'm betting with this change, the rate will increase two fold.  

Not very happy......

Contributor

• 

198 Messages

@cmw112​ Sorry for the delay - never got a notification about your message (got one today for a different message though, so go figure). The model is on the label on the bottom and sometimes on the front of the device. Sometimes it's an Xfinity model number version, and once you look it up, then you can find the real model number. That said, it doesn't matter what the model number is. If it's a legacy box (non-X1), it looks like it will eventually lose On Demand. I just got emails today saying it would start as early as June 6, which is still not helpful.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

I received the same email. I do not have Comcast internet - only TV - and when I downgraded a few years ago I was told I could only use an X1 box if I had that service and Comcast internet.

-   Does this mean Comcast expects me to change my internet service provider??? Believe me, I won't. My excellent internet provider has CS personnel who answer the phone with a human when I call.

-   Will Comcast charge me more?

Visitor

• 

21 Messages

@user_7ed5bd​ Same here.  We only have comcast (Xfinity) for TV only.  We have AT&T for our internet provider and have excellent and cheaper service from AT&T for our internet than Xfinity can provide.  We asked at our local Xfinity store if X1 Cable Service will mesh with our AT&T internet.  They couldn't answer that question.  I tried downloading Xfinity's streaming service, and it won't allow me to view the programs.  I get a message that states you can view these programs with your Xfinity W-Fi (which I don't have).  So, I am doubting that the X1 boxes will work with my AT&T internet.  The response I got at the Xfinity store was "order the new equipment and see what happens".  Very poor communication from a communications company.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

1 year ago

From what I know, you can use X1 for TV, rent/buy and OnDemand, but you cannot use any of the apps. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@andyross​ Does this  mean I can't access/watch Xfinity on my mobile devices? Only on my TV?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

@andyross 

Thank you for this reply. Since I have always used DSL for broadband Internet I still wonder if the proprietary coding used on the X1 box will interfere with my Internet signal.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

I'm having issues also.  I was given new boxes at xfinity store with new remotes but I'm unable to access on demand...WHY?

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

@user_345798​ 

If you received new X1 boxes with our Xfinity voice remotes, you can simply say "On Demand" into your voice remote to get to the On Demand menu. Additional information on how to access On Demand on both our X1 and non-X1 service, can be found here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-on-demand

Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

1 year ago

If Xfinity wants people to stop ditching cable, this is the WRONG way to go about it.  It should NOT take me WEEKS to get the new box, and then MULTIPLE attempts with the useless assistant to get a non-voice remote.  Every single family member over the age of 70 is STRUGGLING with this [Edited; "Language"] product.   As a household we have forgone streaming because of my 81yo father.  To have to deal with this learning curve leaves me zero reason to stay with cable.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

@Anon57998611 

I fully agree with you. My wife and I are similar in age to your folks. We have medical problems tying up most weekdays. We cannot plan any time to have someone come out. Our only choice is to wait until something finally happens. At that point we will take the current Legacy box to service center about 10 minutes from home. If they don't have a replacement, we will have no choice except to drop service at that time. For now we will keep checking here to see how it works out for others.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here