CCJessie1's profile

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

Thursday, June 25th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

Intermittent Video Issues Affecting Some Customers

A firmware update was recently deployed to TV Boxes that may be causing picture issues for some customers

The update includes a feature that defaults TV Boxes to the highest screen resolution the TV is capable of. This is causing a black screen, blue screen, a 'no signal' messages, or a "flickering" screen for some customers. 

We are working to deploy an update as soon as possible to fix this issue for all customers. In the meantime, we recommend the following steps to help mitigate this issue until we can provide that update.

Steps to mitigate the issue: 

• Press “exit, exit, exit, 720” on your Xfinity remote. This sets the resolution to 720. 
    • This should bring back the picture
  • Once the picture is on the screen click the Xfinity button on your remote > click on the gear icon (settings) > click Preference> click General > choose prefer Best Available Resolution > set to Off
  • You can attempt to adjust their resolution to higher resolutions if desired at this point
  • If the new resolution fails to display it will go back to the previous setting in 30 seconds. 

*Note*: Autotune to "Best Available Resolution" will not be automatically turned back on when the update is deployed. We recommend that you turn this feature back on at the end of next week after the update is complete.

Thank you for your continued patience as we work to resolve this permanently. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

i pay a lot of money each month for you toprovide a service.  should be no excuses, get it fixed or its over to fiber optic for me

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

3 years ago

Hi @navy97

We appreciate your feedback. We'd hate to see you go. I'd be happy to investigate your issues and see if there are any offers that would help lower your rate for the services you want. Can you send a private message? To send a private message, click on my name, "ComcastChe," and then click send a message. Please include your first and last name and address. 

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

3 years ago

UPDATE...
1)  Per our bill, we DO have X1
2)  Last week hubby got a new box just for the non-DVR set in the living room. Although our tv is newer, box connection always been the old way with multi-colored cables. HDMI setup is so much easier!
3)  Alas, worse than ever - NO channels at all.
At least we could watch, just no ON DEMAND or SEARCH available.
4)  FINALLY, Xfinity said it was on their end.
5)  Made a service appointment, but is not until Wed, 18th. (I was waiting to post then, but saw a new post and decided to update so far)
6)  WOW, I did not realize how much I watch or at least listen to tv while doing things around the house. Almost a week and I am still having severe withdrawal!
Hubby hogs the still-working DVR set. (Yes, I let him. He WOULD let me watch if I asked. But he is so FANATIC about sports and news)
Sorry for TMI.
Keeping fingers crossed this week.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 years ago

@franceshd wrote:

UPDATE...
1)  Per our bill, we DO have X1
2)  Last week hubby got a new box just for the non-DVR set in the living room. Although our tv is newer, box connection always been the old way with multi-colored cables. HDMI setup is so much easier!
3)  Alas, worse than ever - NO channels at all.
At least we could watch, just no ON DEMAND or SEARCH available.
4)  FINALLY, Xfinity said it was on their end.
5)  Made a service appointment, but is not until Wed, 18th. (I was waiting to post then, but saw a new post and decided to update so far)
6)  WOW, I did not realize how much I watch or at least listen to tv while doing things around the house. Almost a week and I am still having severe withdrawal!
Hubby hogs the still-working DVR set. (Yes, I let him. He WOULD let me watch if I asked. But he is so FANATIC about sports and news)
Sorry for TMI.
Keeping fingers crossed this week.

do you see error messages or error numbers? is the non-working box connected to a coax from the wall? is the coax connected to the 'in' and not the 'to TV' coax connector? 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

We are now in Nov 2020 - I don't see any update to this thread yet I do continue to have black outs intermittantly.  I've noticed that it happens to me most of the time when I'm watching somthing on the DVR.  I've also noticed that if I hit the pause button and then play again - the picture comes back.  Sometimes for just a few seconds and I have to keep doing it - and sometimes for longer.  Pretty aggravating - especially given the amount of money everyone pays for service.  Would like to see an update posted. Well, better yet - would like to see it fixed.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Nov. 17. 2020

This issue has been going on for weeks. The suggested fix has no effect. My menu shows no icon for setup or any way to change resolution on my tv. There is apparently no way to contact a human being other than get a high pressured agent trying to sell protection coverage which is disgusting. 

From reading this thread the issue goes back almost 6 months and no resolution to the problem.  All the xfinity storefronts have been closed in my area, nearest is now 27 miles away. 

If I can't get a time line on when this will be resolved or an answer how to fix the problem we will be closing our account and going to satellite.  So tired of no customer service, no way to resolve a problem. No possible way to talk to a human being, can't tell you how awful your digital assistant is and completely useless. The remote reboot is a joke, never works. All this aggravation which costs me several thousand a year is ridiculous.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

3 years ago

@SWyatt502 

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described.

In reviewing your account, I can see some marginal signal level issues that need our attention (upstream TX power is out of spec). Apologies again. 

Pixilation and audio-video dropout issues are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue. Check to be sure that all of your cable connections are snug.

Box swaps, box refreshes and multiple box refreshes may not resolve this issue if there is an underlying local signal issue.  I've asked a colleague to review your account and work with you directly to get a technician scheduled

There is no charge if the issue is determined to be with our equipment or originating outside your home.

Thanks for your patience.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

3 years ago

@apalmer1 

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described.

In reviewing your account, I can see some marginal signal level issues that need our attention. Looks like there is a technician appointment scheduled for next Tuesday 11/22 to check things out.  Please let me know how the technician visit goes. Apologies again. 

Pixilation and audio-video dropout issues are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue. Check to be sure that all of your cable connections are snug.

Box swaps, box refreshes and multiple box refreshes may not resolve this issue if there is an underlying local signal issue. There is no charge if the issue is determined to be with our equipment or originating outside your home.

Thanks for your patience.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you so much! This worked instantly

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you so much! It worked instantly. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I have pressed exit exit exit 720 and all that comes up to tighten cables that’s not the issue. What else can you recommend?  This is getting old fast

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have two 4K HDTVs (LG and Samsung) hooked up to my Xfinity XG1-A through my Onkyo RZ920 4K receiver. The TVs and receiver can handle any resolution. This setup has worked for years. About a year ago both TVs started losing picture and sound randomly for about 5 seconds. It will happen 3 times an hour, or a few times a day, or not at all. I just replaced the second TV with a new one (another Samsung 4K).

Now when the screens go black, they never come back. Sometimes rebooting the box fixes the problem, a firmware update on the receiver fixed it yesterday, now today nothing works. If I unplug the second TV from the receiver, the primary TV works; as soon as I plug it back in, both TVs go black. ALL of my AV devices go thru the receiver and display on both TVs (Xbox, PlayStation, etc.). Only the Xfinity set top box causes this issue, so it’s not a bad HDMI port or HDMI cable. I assume it’s the same issue mentioned in this thread. Any ideas?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I noticed this occurred in June 2020, so why is infinity still having the same issue.?  I have exchanged cable boxes twice this week as Comcast employees said I probably got a bad box the first time. Also every time we turn on tv get correct HDMI and aps, but a message appears stating not connected so we wait a few minutes then tv starts to work.  This is very annoying.  Does fast forward thru commercial have anything to do with this?  Last night took two 1/2 hours to watch an 1 1/2 hour recording.  Not happy with this service and don’t feel like pay there expensive fees to have technicians come out to try an fix.  Last technician did not fix a previous problem last year, only put in short cable stating I had a bad cable.  Problem was not fixed but I paid for poor $85.00 for incompetence.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Hi Comcast Support,

I have been experiencing Black screen as well, which is related to the topic of this thread.

This started back in June 2020.

Since then, I have changed my cable box, and also used a brand new HDMI cable.

Things work generally.

But it is now very frequent that I get the black screen (no video and no audio) when watching cable.

This happens now a lot and things stay black, and don't video/audio does not come back on.

I have already tried box restart and System refresh many times, but that hasn't changed anything.

I really can't tell when my cable signal will be there or not, it's a hit or miss. 

Could you please help, as I see multiple folks experiencing the same issue reported in this forum.

Please let me know who I can work with?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Is there anyone from Comcast on this forum?

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hello @user_03a6ff thank you so much for contacting our Xfinity Support Team over our Forums. I am sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced with our video equipment and I am happy to see how we can help. To get started please select the "peer to peer chat" icon (upper right corner of this page), click the "new message" icon, type/select "Xfinity Support", and then type/send your name with your address.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here