coles1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, September 30th, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

Unusually high data usage megathread

Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

4 years ago

Oh....one more thing. 

If you do find any ports that are open/closed, not filtered on your modem when you portscan it externally, it's not the end of the world.  Some "features" of the modem, you might not be able to turn off, but that can be worked around.

There's other "evil" on modems.  Netgear like mine?  Totally awful feature called readyshare.  It's trying to run some kind of file server service.  A cable modem, is not a file server and shouldn't try to be one.  That's just asking for problems.

See if there's a firmware update for it too.  US-CERT warnings include compromised modems frequently.  Maybe there's an update for a known exploit.  Can't hurt to check, but usually production support is 5 years.  After that, none of these companies care about exploits on old hardware.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, I spoke to many Comcast people....explained the exact same thing.
Tho I do have streaming devices...only one is on at any time. If they are not in use...,they are off and not streaming. They’re first response was to come out and change the gateway....however.... noone ever set up the appointment to come out... everyone wanted to do the same trouble shooting instead of scheduling the appointment for the tech.
Per Comcast meters are 24 hrs behind so that means the 47gb if data on Dec 1 at 7am when all devices were off and we were sleeping is actually used dara from November. Not exactly right to be rolling used data from a previous month to the new month, especially if you don’t allow our unused data to roll over.
I have only the gateway, no router like netgear etc.
Also too many people have been having issues to it to be our fault. When I went into the hospital in November I turned all off. Also I have a habit of pausing everything thru the xfi app at night.
Anyways At this point.. I’m still waiting for the appointment appointment for a technician to replace my gateway and check my lines.
That was what Comcast wanted to do first to rule out issues with your equipment. So I wait.
BTW, my habits, streaming devices have not changed in a year. So if it was due to my devices, I would be over 1tb every month and I’m not, therefore something in your systems has changed.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Tho I do have streaming devices...only one is on at any time. If they are not in use...,they are iff snd not streaming. They’re first response was to come out and change the gateway....however.... noone ever set up the appointment to come out... everyone wanted to do the same trouble shooting instead of scheduling the appointment for the tech.
Per Comcast meters are 24 hrs behind so that means the 47gb if data on Dec 1 at 7am when all devices were off and we were sleeping is actually used dara from November. Not exactly right to be rolling used data from a previous month to the new month, especially if you don’t allow our unused data to roll over. At this point.. I’m still waiting for the appointment appointment for a technician to replace my gateway and check my lines.

Frequent Visitor

• 

20 Messages

4 years ago

@flatlander3 So I wasn't able to run the full diagnostics yet due to a lack of time, but there is potential this may have been a culprit, when I logged into the modem itself the firewall for IP4 was on low, and it appears there's a lot of baked-in exclusions I'll have to look into seeing any workarounds (ports are forced open for Yahoo messenger? The heck?). I'll have to monitor it for a week or so after upping the firewall protection (and running port scans and all that) to see if that was a potential issue.

I may be looking to replace the modem itself, it is about 8 years old (was an actual Motorola Surfboard before they become Arris, although now it looks like Motorola is making modems again?) Do you happen to have any recommendations for a replacement modem? Motorola as a whole I've had more luck with than Netgear products, I'm thinking Motorola MB8600 may be a positive replacement? I wish you could see what the firmware was like before you buy a product. I don't need a full 3.1 as I'm only at 175Mb down, but just thinking of longevity.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Phillipk86

For the modem, I really don't have much for recommendations. Pretty much, you want to pick one Xfinity says is an 'approved' modem, or they might not provision it for you.

Motorola. Netgear. Doesn't seem to matter much. 150 or 300Mbps? Meh. Best you're going to get for speed is the slowest hop between you and whatever server you are talking to. 30Mbps is probably about as good as you'll ever see on the 'weber-verse'.

For security, like I say. I don't trust any cable modem. All I want that to do is translate from coax, to ipv4/ipv6. I don't even want it to do wifi. Get a different wifi router or access point for that. A good setup includes a separate firewall on separate hardware. I use an old laptop running pfSense(free). 1 USB nic, and the built in ethernet port. Could be an old desktop with 2 ethernet ports. Goes like this:

internet → netgear cable router –> firewall –> Internal network wired |--> Wifi router on the inside

You can do Wifi in a DMZ (on the inside -- keep wifi devices in groups)  too to segregate steaming devices/smart TV's and anything else you may not trust very much, or things with firmware that you can't update that makes outside connections.

Nothing but the firewall touches the cable router, and it's a physical cable. The pfSense “out-of-the-box” setup will keep you out of trouble and it's a point and click interface with a web browser you can only get to on the internal network(configure it that way). You can go advanced and install “Snort”(free) for adaptive firewall rules, but you can always do that later on. Some other tricks too, but maybe another thread.

Anyway, that's how I'm doing it.  Seems effective.  Hope it helps.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Why is there a surcharge after 1TB of data usage when it costs you ZERO? This makes it impossible for me to use 4K services from my Apple TV or streaming on my PC.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I am on the way of going over on the data cap once again. I hit the 50% data usage mark today. There is nothing else I can do. We never had an issue in 3 years prior to October. I am to the point of paying the early terminaiton fee. A representative from Chicago spoke with me, CSA, etc. I was informed my usage would be monitored by their team.

The only streaming happening in my house is YouTube TV and CrunchyRoll. This has been going on for the past 3 years. Our habits are the same and we have even lowered the amount of devices in the household. Our data usage has doubled in October, November, and now it looks to as well in December. I feel as if I am being scammed at this point.

I was suppose to have swapped over to the streaming service back in October but found out that all Samsung Displays 2015 or newer could not find the applcation. Therefore I was placed back onto my old plan. Firmware had to be applied to my boxes and they could not explain why. Since then my data keeps doubling. Why can I not get a response on how to fix the issue? Also I was told I could have unlimited data with the Xfinity modem. No, there is still a data cap of 1024 gb according to the website. No response from the representative.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Unfortunately, I am also experiencing spikes in data usage. It is very unclear to me what to do or how to see details of where the data use is coming from. It has been going on for several months now. Our data use would tend to be somewhere around 500-600 GB per month. With no changes in our habits, we have been getting notified that we are coming close to (or exceeding) our data cap for at least the past 5-6 months. The strange part is that we will show around 700 GB one month (which is still unusually high for our household, but at least within reason compared to the norm). Then the next month, the data use seemingly skyrockets.

I am currently seeing that we have used 704 GB as of Dec 16, which is insane. I should also clarify that our common use has remained the same as always (video streaming, downloads, etc.). At the same time, I have also taken measures to pause activity on many devices that could consume a lot of data throughout this month. In reality, we should be seeing a reduction in data since, in that sense, our usage has gone down. 

I am fairly technically savvy, so I have continuously attempted to take measures to keep data usage at bay. This also means that I find the lack of transparency of the Comcast hardware and metrics a bit frustrating. If anyone from Comcast can help with my account to allow us to see more realistic numbers (and to avoid showing overages that should not exist), I would highly appreciate it. Thank you!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Rturner22131 wrote:
Tho I do have streaming devices...only one is on at any time. If they are not in use...,they are off and not streaming. They’re first response was to come out and change the gateway....however.... noone ever set up the appointment to come out... everyone wanted to do the same trouble shooting instead of scheduling the appointment for the tech.
Per Comcast meters are 24 hrs behind so that means the 47gb if data on Dec 1 at 7am when all devices were off and we were sleeping is actually used dara from November. Not exactly right to be rolling used data from a previous month to the new month, especially if you don’t allow our unused data to roll over.
I have only the gateway, no router like netgear etc.
Also too many people have been having issues to it to be our fault. When I went into the hospital in November I turned all off. Also I have a habit of pausing everything thru the xfi app at night.
Anyways At this point.. I’m still waiting for the appointment appointment for a technician to replace my gateway and check my lines.
That was what Comcast wanted to do first to rule out issues with your equipment. So I wait.
BTW, my habits, streaming devices have not changed in a year. So if it was due to my devices, I would be over 1tb every month and I’m not, therefore something in your systems has changed.

Apologies I'll have some one reach out to you to set up the technician appointment at a time that works for you. Thanks for your patience.    

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Shonasmum1 wrote:

For several months my data usage was under 200 GB but the last two months it's been over the limit and I have no idea why?  My XFi app shows my iMac using 95% of the network although that may or may not be related to the data usage issue.  We are not streaming anything or downloading huge amounts of photos.  Any clues would be appreciated.  I've already run malware software on the iMac.

Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above.

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further.

The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

The data usage in October and November does seem quite high compared to earlier months.  

Thanks for your patience.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-avoid-overage-charges

I've asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

Providing some additional information, background and tips below from our team that does the data overage reviews.

Customer owned devices
- One example are devices like Ubiquiti uNiFi, which our team most commonly sees as an issue with data usage. The device has an internal metering system along with a periodic speed test built into it. The speed test can accrue massive amounts of data usage without reporting to its own internal metering system because it’s part of its system functions, not a device using data even though it is using data. We report its usage because we monitor for all data traffic going to and from the modem/network, not per device connected to their network.

- The number and kinds of devices connected to your network matters. Suggestion is to log into your router to see and verify all the devices connected to your network" (very applicable with customer owned devices).

Metering System:
- Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.
It includes everything from the yearly audits to how the metering system works on a technical level. This is done third party outside of Comcast.

Comcast data metering accuracy reports at the link below:
https://www.netforecast.com/comcast-internet-usage-accuracy-reports/

- The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by 100GB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the metering timeframe is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

- Greatest opportunity with Windows 10 devices. Windows 10 has a built in data usage meter for its own data tracking per application/software used on the device for 30 days(Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage tab).

- Similarly could be done for other devices, ex: “Go into Netflix settings and make sure that it pauses after not watching it for a while”, etc.

Overall:
There is no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network.

The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”. While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used.

Common data users:
- Streaming devices left on even when TVs are turned off – continuously streaming and/or misconfigured settings on streaming devices
- Data backups (including cloud backups)
- Large file downloads for entertainment (video games, updates, locally downloaded movies/videos from online services, etc.) or business purposes (files of information/data for business needs, Data backups downloaded from or uploaded to, etc.)

Frequent Visitor

• 

20 Messages

4 years ago

@ComcastTeds Our usage is still going strong even after upping our cable modem firewall, but we'll continue to monitor it now that's its the weekdays and we're not really even in the house for most of the day. However, I have a question, does the xfinity cable box use data that counts towards the caps? Because now that I think about it, our data usage started increasing dramatically after getting the X1 system (and there are lots of other quirks with it, like our remote batteries die every 5 days or so). We don't regularly use the streaming services on the box like Netflix, but not sure if other functions of the device (like DVR, regular cable channels, guides) may cause any data usage? Because we got the devices to decrease our internet usage since we used to only stream, but it's actually only gone up since getting cable.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Garebear wrote:

Unfortunately, I am also experiencing spikes in data usage. It is very unclear to me what to do or how to see details of where the data use is coming from. It has been going on for several months now. Our data use would tend to be somewhere around 500-600 GB per month. With no changes in our habits, we have been getting notified that we are coming close to (or exceeding) our data cap for at least the past 5-6 months. The strange part is that we will show around 700 GB one month (which is still unusually high for our household, but at least within reason compared to the norm). Then the next month, the data use seemingly skyrockets.

I am currently seeing that we have used 704 GB as of Dec 16, which is insane. I should also clarify that our common use has remained the same as always (video streaming, downloads, etc.). At the same time, I have also taken measures to pause activity on many devices that could consume a lot of data throughout this month. In reality, we should be seeing a reduction in data since, in that sense, our usage has gone down. 

I am fairly technically savvy, so I have continuously attempted to take measures to keep data usage at bay. This also means that I find the lack of transparency of the Comcast hardware and metrics a bit frustrating. If anyone from Comcast can help with my account to allow us to see more realistic numbers (and to avoid showing overages that should not exist), I would highly appreciate it. Thank you!

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further.

The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

The data usage in November spiked at the end of the month if that helps you to track some of this down. 

On 11/29 the usage was about 280 gb. On 11/30, the usage was about 180 gb.  Actual data usage is not real-time and may be delayed up to 24 hours. The rest of November usage was under 100 gb per day. December usage to date is approximately 705 gb (average of 45 gb/day).  

I've asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

We offer tools to help you track and manage your usage so there are never any surprises about how much data you use:

• Data Usage Meter in My Account - Monitor how much data you have used with our Data Usage Meter.
  • Xfinity My Account App - You can also monitor how much data you have used in our mobile app. (Download the Xfinity My Account app.)
  • Notifications - We will send you an 'in-browser' notice and an email letting you know when you approach, reach and exceed a terabyte. You can also elect to receive notifications at additional thresholds as well as set up mobile text notifications. Usage notifications will not be sent to customers who enroll in the Unlimited Data Option.
  • Data Plan Website - Summary of plan features and additional tools and tips related to the data plans. To visit, go to dataplan.xfinity.com.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:

Providing some additional information, background and tips below from our team that does the data overage reviews.

Customer owned devices
- One example are devices like Ubiquiti uNiFi, which our team most commonly sees as an issue with data usage. The device has an internal metering system along with a periodic speed test built into it. The speed test can accrue massive amounts of data usage without reporting to its own internal metering system because it’s part of its system functions, not a device using data even though it is using data. We report its usage because we monitor for all data traffic going to and from the modem/network, not per device connected to their network.

- The number and kinds of devices connected to your network matters. Suggestion is to log into your router to see and verify all the devices connected to your network" (very applicable with customer owned devices).

Metering System:
- Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.
It includes everything from the yearly audits to how the metering system works on a technical level. This is done third party outside of Comcast.

- The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by 100GB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the metering timeframe is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

- Greatest opportunity with Windows 10 devices. Windows 10 has a built in data usage meter for its own data tracking per application/software used on the device for 30 days(Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage tab).

- Similarly could be done for other devices, ex: “Go into Netflix settings and make sure that it pauses after not watching it for a while”, etc.

Overall:
There is no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network.

The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”. While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used.

Common data users:
- Streaming devices left on even when TVs are turned off – continuously streaming and/or misconfigured settings on streaming devices
- Large file downloads for entertainment (video games, updates, locally downloaded movies/videos from online services, etc.) or business purposes (files of information/data for business needs, Data backups downloaded from or uploaded to, etc.)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@The_Schwartz wrote:

I am on the way of going over on the data cap once again. I hit the 50% data usage mark today. There is nothing else I can do. We never had an issue in 3 years prior to October. I am to the point of paying the early terminaiton fee. A representative from Chicago spoke with me, CSA, etc. I was informed my usage would be monitored by their team.

The only streaming happening in my house is YouTube TV and CrunchyRoll. This has been going on for the past 3 years. Our habits are the same and we have even lowered the amount of devices in the household. Our data usage has doubled in October, November, and now it looks to as well in December. I feel as if I am being scammed at this point.

I was suppose to have swapped over to the streaming service back in October but found out that all Samsung Displays 2015 or newer could not find the applcation. Therefore I was placed back onto my old plan. Firmware had to be applied to my boxes and they could not explain why. Since then my data keeps doubling. Why can I not get a response on how to fix the issue? Also I was told I could have unlimited data with the Xfinity modem. No, there is still a data cap of 1024 gb according to the website. No response from the representative.

Apologies. It looks like your data usage has been steadlily increasing:

June 537 gb
July 621 gb
August 853 gb 
September 796 gb 
October 1022 gb
November 1296 gb 

December month to date looks to be about 588 gb (estimated so far) which tracks closely to your October and November usage.  We will automatically provide you with an additional 50 gb of data for $10 once you exceed your monthly allowance of 1024 gb.

I have asked our Service Policy Assurance team to review your account and reach out to you again as a follow up.

If you wish to disconnect services, I will get the ETF waived. Just let me know.  

Customer owned devices

Metering System:

Overall:

Common data users:

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Phillipk86 wrote:

@ComcastTeds Our usage is still going strong even after upping our cable modem firewall, but we'll continue to monitor it now that's its the weekdays and we're not really even in the house for most of the day. However, I have a question, does the xfinity cable box use data that counts towards the caps? Because now that I think about it, our data usage started increasing dramatically after getting the X1 system (and there are lots of other quirks with it, like our remote batteries die every 5 days or so). We don't regularly use the streaming services on the box like Netflix, but not sure if other functions of the device (like DVR, regular cable channels, guides) may cause any data usage? Because we got the devices to decrease our internet usage since we used to only stream, but it's actually only gone up since getting cable.

The link below has some good info on X1 cable box and internet data usage:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-internet-data-usage-details

The easiest way to tell which features will count against your Internet data usage is to look for the Internet badge, which will appear in the program info.

Using the following X1 features will count against your monthly Internet data usage:

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Marcusatx wrote:
The most data I’ve ever used in a single month was close to 700 gigs and for some reason I’m over the terabyte by 40 gigs the first five days in December. It’s absolutely impossible. Nothing has changed at the house.

In reviewing your account, I can see data usage from June through November averaged about 582 gb/month. The December usage spike appears to be around two days - December 2nd (550 gb) and December 3rd (450 gb) - if that helps you to track that down.  Please see earlier disclaimer around data usage metering delayed by 24 hours (it's not a "real time" data meter). 

I've asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

It sure would be nice if we could see daily spikes of that magnitude so we could search for a cause

Monthly numbers don't warn us before we go over the limit.

The Xfinity My Account app will show you Month-To-Date Internet data usage and it is updated daily. Snapshot of My Account image below:  

Data usage My Account app.png 

We offer tools to help you track and manage your usage so there are never any surprises about how much data you use:

• Data Usage Meter in My Account - Monitor how much data you have used with our Data Usage Meter.
  • Xfinity My Account App - You can also monitor how much data you have used in our mobile app. (Download the Xfinity My Account app.)
  • Notifications - We will send you an 'in-browser' notice and an email letting you know when you approach, reach and exceed a terabyte. You can also elect to receive notifications at additional thresholds as well as set up mobile text notifications. Usage notifications will not be sent to customers who enroll in the Unlimited Data Option.
  • Data Plan Website - Summary of plan features and additional tools and tips related to the data plans. To visit, go to dataplan.xfinity.com.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here