chrism3's profile

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

Saturday, August 25th, 2018 7:00 PM

Closed

XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

After a recent move, we upgraded from our old X1 box to the new 4K "XG1v4-A" box to work with our Samsung 4K UHD television.

We immediately realized that our box was requiring a reboot every day. So, we've been unplugging the box and plugging it back in. I've contact Xfinity about this issue several times. No one over the phone has been able to help.

Xfinity tech support simply had me swap out my box for a new one (which they have to send via FedEx -- requiring me to drop off the old box to the Xfinity store).  This is the third box and I still have the same issue. 

So, Xfinity sent out a tech yesterday. We were also having some internet connectivity problems (intermittent loss of internet on all of our devices). He discovered that the splice was installed by the Xfinity installation guy incorrectly (or so he said). 

However, the tech was puzzled. He said that everything should be working. He then attempted to say that our "problem" was our television.

I explained that we have swapped to another TV that worked perfectly fine (trading my sister-in-law's for a few days). Our television worked perfectly fine at her house with Xfinity and her TV worked fine at our house using the same box and same HDMI cable.

I explained to the tech that this didn't happen with the old X1 box. It doesn't happen with anything else connected to the TV (e.g., Xbox One, Blu-ray, etc.). I've even swapped HDMI cords, switched HDMI inputs, etc. Each and every time, the problem is only with the new XG1v4 box. 

The tech then said that he thinks that the cable issue that he "fixed" might solve the issue. He left roughly 25 minutes after arriving and said that he would have someone follow-up with me in a couple of days.

Today, I turned everything on again....and have the same problem. 

My TV is a Samsung 4K UHD television.

My power save mode is OFF.

My HDMI cable is 2.0 compatible (and I've tried FIVE of them -- all with the same issue).

My TV's firmware is up-to-date.

Apparently, this is a known issue. There are quite a few threads on the Xfinity forums with many posters addressing this issue. For instance:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/XG1v4-requires-reboot/td-p/3025141

Doe anyone have a resolution? 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@griam01 wrote:
Yes both have ARC. Can you explain which equipment would plug in where? I can definitely try it.

the x1 set top box would go to the TV usually HDMI port 1, then an HDMI cable connects between the ARC port on TV and receiver.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@griam01 wrote:
I have other equipment connected to the receiver, so how would that complicate things? We usually have the receiver be centralized where everything plugs into it, but if I am understanding you are saying plug everything into the tv instead?

you can do that. modern receivers are very programmable so the devices can go to both TV and receiver.

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

5 years ago

I have other equipment connected to the receiver, so how would that complicate things? We usually have the receiver be centralized where everything plugs into it, but if I am understanding you are saying plug everything into the tv instead?

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

5 years ago

So that is how it is currently setup. Hdmi arc on tv to hdmi arc on receiver then xfinity box on hdmi 1 and media center on hdmi 2. The receiver shows audio and video on the receivers screen, but we don’t actually get them until we reboot the xfinity box daily.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@griam01 wrote:
So that is how it is currently setup. Hdmi arc on tv to hdmi arc on receiver then xfinity box on hdmi 1 and media center on hdmi 2. The receiver shows audio and video on the receivers screen, but we don’t actually get them until we reboot the xfinity box daily.

the X1 set top box reboots and its signal on the HDMI port disappears during that reboot. do you have power saver function on the X1 set top box turned off? instead of a reboot try changing TV input to a 'live' other port (like media center) and when video is visible change back to the DVR's HDMI port. did you then have connection without another reboot?

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

5 years ago

Power save is not on the xfinity box. I have tried switching to the media center and back again but that doesn’t work. The issue has happened daily for us since we set everything up. Then tonight I turned on the tv for the first time today and everything worked fine. It doesn’t make any sense.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I am having the same problems with having to reboot a minimum of once daily since receiving the 4K box. I never had the issue with the standard HD X1 box.  I am running the box through a Marantz AV8805 preamp and Sony XBR75x940e tv with certified HDMI 2.2 cables.  I have no issues with my Apple TV 4k or my Oppo UD0-203 4k blu ray player, just the Xfinity.  Customer Service’s solution is to simply send out a technician for a fee of $70 to tell me what I already know.  They state that they are unaware of any issue’s with this box yet we know different

y.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Ask for Comcast Solutions and a supervisor. They are very well aware of this situation. You need to talk to somebody Stateside and not the Philippines. Read through the posts for more information. Personally I use a mini smart plug and Alexa to turn the DVR off and on every morning. It's noted in my account that once the problem is resolved I am supposed to get a credit. We'll see!!! Maybe I should have them reimburse me for the mini smart plug and Alexa.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

, they know about the problem, it's been around since the 4K box was introduced, I guess sometime in early 2018. If you can get your hands on an older DVR, it will probably work just fine. It's 1000% not your cable. You need to talk to a supervisor and have your account noted with the type of TV you have so they can add it to the list of TVs that will not work with this 4K box. Read all the earlier posts and direct Comcast to read these posts ,. According to some of the earlier posts, it will be fixed sometime in early February.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Very frustrating issue here. I recently got set up with the new 4k box and the same thing is happening to me. No signal to my hdmi port every morning. I have to unplug the box/reset it every morning for it to work. I just had my 4k box replaced with another one and same thing is happening. I had a tech visit 2 twice and comcast just thinks its an HDMI cord issue. Is it worth it to just switch to an older box ?

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

5 years ago

I have ben having the same issue with the new 4k box. I upgraded on Monday and since then  every morning I had to reboot the box to get it to work. Friday the tech came and replaced the box. Saturday morning I had the same issue. Does anybody know when Comcast will fix this?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Anon1464678 wrote:

I have ben having the same issue with the new 4k box. I upgraded on Monday and since then  every morning I had to reboot the box to get it to work. Friday the tech came and replaced the box. Saturday morning I had the same issue. Does anybody know when Comcast will fix this?

To what brand TV is the set top box connected?

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

5 years ago

Samsung

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Did you try turning on the energy saver option on your TV? It took care of the problem for me.

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

5 years ago

Yes. Energy saver is off
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here