Community Forum

XG1v4 requires reboot

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Valued Contributor

XG1v4 requires reboot

Anyone else with an XG1v4 (4k Set top) need to reboot it every time you turn it on? Mine puts out a black screen and no audio if the TV/AVR have been off for a while. It IS putting out black video or else my AVR and TV would say no signal. After an unplug and replug everything works fine until I leave the TV off overnight again.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Official Employee

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot

The only thing I can think of is check the Power Saver setting (I have mine set to off) or HDMI link in Comcast labs
Expert

enroberts wrote:
Anyone else with an XG1v4 (4k Set top) need to reboot it every time you turn it on? Mine puts out a black screen and no audio if the TV/AVR have been off for a while. It IS putting out black video or else my AVR and TV would say no signal. After an unplug and replug everything works fine until I leave the TV off overnight again.

By any chance do you have a Sony 4K television? They seem to have similar problems to yours.

Make sure you update the television to current versions. If the television is brand new, it most likely is missing the latest updates.

Also; setting the cable-box to "always on" is go advice for this particular problem.

Valued Contributor

Nope. Not a Sony. It's not the TV or the AVR. Everything is up to date. This is a cable box issue for sure. All of my boxes are set to stay on all the time.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

If you are outputing 2160 from the v4 I would guess you are having HDMI handshake issues especially with the AVR involved.  

Can you cure the problem if you simply switch to another HDMI input then back to your v4?  Next, suggest you try connecting the v4 directly to the TV to see if you still see the problem.  

Also try setting box out to 1080i both direct to TV and through AVR.  If that works reliably then it is an HDMI issue that needs further study, possibly a better HDMI cable.  You should 

use a "Premium CERTIFIED" HDMI cable with any 4k gear to provice maxium reliability whether you are sending HDR content which requires it, or SDR content which doesn't.

Black output from the v4 (not no signal) is a pretty certain HDMI issue where the TV doesn't like the signal it is getting.  When you you restart the box,  the box and your TV negoatiate a

new "Handshake" which fixes it until there is another change in the HDMI that "breaks" the chain.  I have seen this on my v4 connecgted to 4k OLED.

Valued Contributor

I 100% agree that this is a handshake/hdcp issue. All my cables are 2.0 compliant from Audio Quest. I've tried different cables, bypassing the AVR, changing inputs, and more. The only thing that was resolving the issue was a hard reboot of the box. Looks like I got an update 2 days ago because it worked fine yesterday. I'll test it again today but the right folks at Comcast are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I am experiencing the exact same issue. I returned my first box as I believed it to be faulty. I now have another new box and am having the exact issue as the original post. It works fine after unplugging the power cord and reboot. After several hours, it won’t turn on and I have to unplug and reboot again. I even tried logging into the “my account” app for Xfinity and I see the box as “offline”. Not sure what’s going on here. After reboot it shows as green and online. I have a Marantz SR5011 receiver and a Sony 75” XBR940E TV. The cable box is plugged directly into the receiver. I have the picture setting set at 2160p60 4K UHD. I also have an HDMI premium certified cable. What gives here?! Super annoying! Please help!!
Expert

@Dworkman99 wrote:
I am experiencing the exact same issue. I returned my first box as I believed it to be faulty. I now have another new box and am having the exact issue as the original post. It works fine after unplugging the power cord and reboot. After several hours, it won’t turn on and I have to unplug and reboot again. I even tried logging into the “my account” app for Xfinity and I see the box as “offline”. Not sure what’s going on here. After reboot it shows as green and online. I have a Marantz SR5011 receiver and a Sony 75” XBR940E TV. The cable box is plugged directly into the receiver. I have the picture setting set at 2160p60 4K UHD. I also have an HDMI premium certified cable. What gives here?! Super annoying! Please help!!

go into settings (gear) menu and then Comcast labs. turn off HDMI link. the DVR will then stay on as it was designed if you have also turned off 'power saver' setting in device settings menu. the difference between full on and power save is around 5 watts.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Thanks for quick response. HDMI link is already off. I also have power saver set to “off”. I just switched from the HDMI 3/ARC input on the TV to HDMI 2 input. Thinking that if this is some sort of handshake issue I wanted to remove the ARC variable from the equation. Any other idea as to what could be going on here? I’m about ready to just not even deal with the V4 box and just use my old DVR. This is not worth the limited 4K content that’s currently available only for Olympic content.

UPDATE: After about 20 minutes of turning the TV and AV receiver off, I proceeded to see if the issue persisted. I am in 100% agreement with the original poster. The box is putting out a black screen. My TV automatically tells you if there is no signal and my TV is definitely not stating that there is no signal. It’s just a black screen with no audio. This is beyond bizarre. Should I remove my premium certified hdmi cable and use the HDMI cable that came with the box from Comcast? I never had these issues with my previous box while using my premium hdmi certified cables.
Expert

@Dworkman99 wrote:
Thanks for quick response. HDMI link is already off. I also have power saver set to “off”. I just switched from the HDMI 3/ARC input on the TV to HDMI 2 input. Thinking that if this is some sort of handshake issue I wanted to remove the ARC variable from the equation. Any other idea as to what could be going on here? I’m about ready to just not even deal with the V4 box and just use my old DVR. This is not worth the limited 4K content that’s currently available only for Olympic content.

UPDATE: After about 20 minutes of turning the TV and AV receiver off, I proceeded to see if the issue persisted. I am in 100% agreement with the original poster. The box is putting out a black screen. My TV automatically tells you if there is no signal and my TV is definitely not stating that there is no signal. It’s just a black screen with no audio. This is beyond bizarre. Should I remove my premium certified hdmi cable and use the HDMI cable that came with the box from Comcast? I never had these issues with my previous box while using my premium hdmi certified cables.

do you have another X1 set top box in the home you could temporarily swap with that one to see if the issue remains or moves with the box?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

New Poster

Yes. I actually still have my older DVR box and it has zero issues. I had it plugged in with my HDMI premium cables and have zero issues. I came home from work today and there were no issues with the new box. It is very sporadic. Any other thoughts?
Expert

@Dworkman99 wrote:
Yes. I actually still have my older DVR box and it has zero issues. I had it plugged in with my HDMI premium cables and have zero issues. I came home from work today and there were no issues with the new box. It is very sporadic. Any other thoughts?

let us know if problem happens again. 

New Poster

Aaaand it happened again. I’m taking this thing back. What a bad product.
Silver Problem Solver

@Dworkman99 wrote:
Aaaand it happened again. I’m taking this thing back. What a bad product.

I have two XG1v4's and have had zero issues with them.  It's not a bad product in my experience.

New Poster

I am also having this very issue. What's the deal?

Official Employee

@Pasta747 wrote:

I am also having this very issue. What's the deal?

Is Power Saver on, if so, use the channel up button to wake it up. Or turn off Power Saver

New Poster

Have you noticed any decline in audio quality. I have a bowers and Wilkins home theater system up, ever since I installed the new 4K receiver. I have to increase the volume from 35 to 45 to hear. It wasn’t like that with the old box. I’ve reset the box and changed hdmis but still the same. I plugged up the old box and that one worked fine. Then put the 4K and audio quality declined.
Frequent Visitor

I have this same problem with my AVR using HDMI premium certified cables. I'm pretty sure I tried pushing all the remote buttons the last time I extended a blank screen and therefore tried channel up with no fix.

I turned off power saver just now and will see if it fixes it for me. I've had to unplug and plug in my XG1v4 twice in the past few days.
New Poster

I've been seeing this issue as well. It only began when I moved the DVR from a non-HDCP port on the TV to one that does support HDCP. As soon as I moved it back to the non-HDCP port everything was fine again.

New Poster

Same issue, I tried the XG1v4 a few months ago and had the issue so i shelved it hoping an update would come out. Tried again this weekend and no luck, I have certified 2.0 cables etc. power save is off, but guess what, my new Amazon Fire Cube works perfectly, same exact cables, same A/V receiver with same HDCP 2.2 port, Same TV Etc.
Silver Problem Solver

@masterofpuppet wrote:
Same issue, I tried the XG1v4 a few months ago and had the issue so i shelved it hoping an update would come out. Tried again this weekend and no luck, I have certified 2.0 cables etc. power save is off, but guess what, my new Amazon Fire Cube works perfectly, same exact cables, same A/V receiver with same HDCP 2.2 port, Same TV Etc.

I wish I could help; I've had two XG1v4's for months and have never had the issue.  Mine are plain vanilla connections; HDMI between TV and the box.  That makes me think it has to do with your specific setup; maybe a comparison of everyone's setup would help?