U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, June 13th, 2021 4:32 AM

Closed

Xfinity remote won't pair both TV and receiver

I just got a new box and I can pair the TV and the Bose audio system to the remote but they both do not work at the same time only one will turn on or off the system. The last one that I program is the one that will work. My old remote worked both of them at the same time. Any suggestions?

Official Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

3 years ago

All,

We apologize for the inconvenience, at this time we are actively working to resolve an issue with remote paring. We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this as soon as possible. 

We have received reports that the following steps can help to resolve this while we work on a permanent fix:

1. Factory Reset your Xfinity remote. Directions can be found here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/remote-xr2-or-xr5-buttons-do-not-work
  2. Manually pair your Xfinity remote with audio receivers first
  3. Manually pair your Xfinity remote with your TV second

Information on manually pairing your Xfinity remote to your devices are included below

To Pair an Xfinity Voice Remote (Without a Setup Button)

Note: These instructions apply to the XR15 Voice Remote (X1 or Flex).

1. Make sure the Voice Remote batteries are installed and your TV and TV Box are powered on.
  2. Set the TV input to the input connected to the Xfinity TV Box.
  3. Press and hold the xfinity and Info buttons for five seconds. Wait for the Voice Remote light to change from red to green.
  4. Follow the instructions by entering the three-digit, on-screen pairing code.
    Enter your three digit code.

5. Once the on-screen pairing code is correctly entered, your Voice Remote is paired with the TV Box.
  6. Once your Voice Remote is paired, follow the on-screen instructions to set up power, volume and input control for your TV.
    • Note: While the TV is on (TV Box must be activated first), you can also press and hold the xfinity and Mute buttons on the remote for five seconds until the light at the top changes from red to green, then follow the on-screen instructions to pair the Voice Remote to control your TV.

These instructions apply to the XR16 Voice Remote (Flex only, no number keys):

1. Turn on your streaming device and TV.
  2. Remove the pull tab on the back of the remote to activate it.
  3. Point the remote at your TV and press the Microphone button.
  4. Follow the instructions that come up on your TV to finish setting up.

Additional Xfinity Remote pairing information: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/remote-program-the-xr2-or-xr5-to-aim-anywhere?view=app

Thank you again for your continued patience as we work to resolve this. Please let us know if you have any further questions. 

Problem Solver

• 

909 Messages

3 years ago

Hello, @user_3f9474! I can definitely help with your pairing concerns. To begin, what remote model do you have? Xfinity Remote Models: https://comca.st/2TA4IK8;

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

XR11.   I have followed the prompts several times and I can get the remote to

pair with the TV and the Bose sound system. Just not at the same time, only one works or the other.  

Problem Solver

• 

909 Messages

Thank you for confirming the remote model, @user_3f9474. When paring the remote to the Bose system, what code was used? Was it 31933? Additionally, have you gone through the set up process to connect the Bose sound system to the box directly or is it connected to your TV? 

I recommend attempting to unpair the remote entirely and then reattempting to pair. To unpair, please follow the below steps: 

1. Press the Setup button on the remote until the LED at the top of the remote changes from red to green.
  2. Press 9-8-6.
  3. The LED at the top of the remote will blink green twice to indicate that the remote has been reset.

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

The Bose is connected to the TV.   I does not give me a code to put in when I pair it.  It has me put the brand and then it says it is completed.  Should I try putting that code in? 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

It should give you an option to enter a pairing code to connect Audio devices. Let's try the steps outlined in this setup article linked below. Simply select the XR11 Remote, and choose the type of device you are setting up. There will be a list of manufactures, with corresponding codes to try for pairing. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/remotes/

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thank you,  programming the Bose with the code worked. Now I can use the remote for both the tv and the audio. Thank you for your help. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have a xr 15 remote  tcl roku tv with bose stereo. When programming remote i can get tv to work but as soon as i get the power/ volume control to work for the Bose the remote will only shut off the Bose. 

Problem Solver

• 

574 Messages

Hi, @user_f5a486! Have you tried the steps mentioned above to unpair and pair the remote again?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have an xr11 remote as well. I followed all the set up steps. I synced to my tv and was able to power on and off and control my TV volume. next I selected to "also" control my audio receiver. I put in the code and I can control the audio on my receiver. however after the setup is complete I can no longer control my tv power.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_8c2f18 i unpaired the remote as well. it seems when I sync to the audio receiver it loses the sync to the tv

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@user_8c2f18 Having this problem as well with an xr11 remote that had no problems controlling both tv and audio receiver until today, out of nowhere. Have tried using my corresponding receiver's code and paired successfully but had the same issue, whatever was paired last is what it controls but can't control both at once. Have tried all of their steps listed at the link but still can't get it to work. Tried checking for tv firmware updates, power cycling the box, factory resetting the remote and repairing it and still the issue persists. Once I connect to the receiver I can't use it to turn off my tv or switch tv inputs, it only works on the audio receive

New Problem Solver

• 

318 Messages

Hello @user_34e5d3, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us on the forums and for leaving us such a detailed message of the steps you have taken to try to resolve the issue on your own that helps out a ton! This is not the experience we want you to have with your service and we would love the opportunity to help get this resolved.

Can you send us a private message with your first and last name and address to get started?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I have the exact same issue as described above, my remote worked fine on both Visio tv and Yamaha receiver, got a message for a necessary update and since the update whichever device I program the remote to last works but not the other

Official Employee

• 

263 Messages

What was the necessary message update for?  Did your TV ask you do a software update?   

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I’m also having the same problem as mentioned above. Sony TV with a Vizio Sound Bar. Everything was find till the other day.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am struggling with this same issue....in fact I have two XR11 remotes - on the first remote the volume key operates the volume through our Onkyo receiver and the Power TV button turns the Samsung TV on and off. This is the way I like it. 

On the second remote  the Power TV button turns the Onkyo receiver on and off and the volume controls the Onkyo receiver. 

I have tried to program the second remote several times to no avail. I reset the remote using 986 but no luck.

I tried the code 31805 suggested by the Remote Programming guide - but it still resulting in the behavior of the second remote.

Any suggestions??

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Same struggle.  I can either pair my remote with my TV (panasonic) OR the Bose soundbar...not both!  whichever I finish pairing with last, that is the only thing the power buttons can control.  This is pretty frustrating, so far I have lost an hour trying to make this work!  I have done it in all combinations, so I am at a loss.    

Official Employee

• 

263 Messages

@teddythecook are you using the 5 digit codes to manually enter the codes for both the TV and AVR? 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Yes, of course.  when i enter the codes, they make the remote work great for the last code I enter...but the previously entered code no longer works.  So If I do the TV first, it works...but then when i enter the Bose code, it makes the remote work for Bose, but wipes the TV code/functionality.  :(

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@teddythecook Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us on the forums, can you please tell us some of the steps you have taken to try to resolve this remote issue. This will determines next steps and helps out a lot! 

Official Employee

• 

263 Messages

@teddythecook  thanks ! do you mind sending me your device's mac address and a timestamp? 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Same problem for me. Just happened. Same equipment all worked and paired earlier today. But once Xfinity ran an "update" I can now only pair with EITHER the Samsung TV or the Bose soundbar, but not both.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hello, @user_0554a0! Thanks for posting on our Community Forums to let us know you are experiencing the same issue. To confirm, have you tried the steps provided above? 

Official Employee

• 

263 Messages

@user_0554a0 can you send me your devices MAC address found on the bottom or deviceID which can be found on the about screen (say “about screen” into the voice remote ) 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am having the same issue.  If I program the tv first then the soundbar only the soundbar will work with the remote.  If I pair the soundbar first then the tv only the tv works.  How can we use the remote for both?  It has been very frustrating trying to get this to work

Official Employee

• 

263 Messages

@user_764908 can you tell me the steps are using to program the remote to the TV and Soundbar?  Are your using the manual process and entering the 5 digit codes via the remote or using the on-screen automated experience? 

also what type of remote are you using? 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

I have tried it both ways and over and over again resetting the remote each time. It will either work for one or the other. Whichever code I put in second is what works with the remote. I have the xr15 remote 

Official Employee

• 

263 Messages

@user_764908 thanks for the info.   Are you able to share the deviceID which can be found on the about screen and a time stamp of when your last tried to program the remote?  

and just to confirm you’ve  tried entering the codes manually following the instructions at xfinity.com/remotes 

Retired Employee

• 

729 Messages

@user_764908 I am sorry to hear about this! Please send me a private message. I will be happy to help you. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Still not working. Pairs with Samsung TV then asks if I want to pair audio. No codes requested, but automatically it pairs with Bose sound bar. However, once paired with sound bar, it is no longer paired with TV. Program on xfinity does not allow me to pair sound bar first. Not a choice. Not an option. 

Official Employee

• 

263 Messages

@user_0554a0 what remote are you using.   Can you try following the steps and codes at xfinity.com/remotes and see if that solves it. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityChad2 I am using XR11 remote. I have followed all the steps. Remote pairs with TV, then pairs with sound bar. But once soundbar is paired, TV is no longer paired. It all worked fine before a mid-December Xfinity update. Please let me know when Xfinity resolves the issue created by its update. 

Problem Solver

• 

567 Messages

Thanks for trying that for us. I see that there was a solution posted below that others have tried with success. Please refer to the post from @mrmattatl, and let us know if that works for you.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I am having the same issues , I have a sharp tv and a samsung sound bar i’ve tried every step in this thread . Whatever I program last is what shuts off with the power button . please help 

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

Hello @user_8ed56b, and thank you for sharing your experience her on the Forum. I wanted to know if you were able to follow the steps provided by @mrmattatl to see if that fixed your issue as it has helped with others? 

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Just went through this myself and found that I had to ignore the formal “remote setup” option. 

Here is what I did that worked - maybe it helps someone else. This was with an XR11 remote:

1. First find your TV and AV remote codes by looking them up using Xfinity website or if you know them from past efforts. Write these down. Usually they are 5 digits. 
  2. Reset remote.  Press the Setup button until the LED at the top of the remote changes from red to green.  Press 9-8-1.  The LED will blink green twice to indicate that the remote was reset.
  3. Re-pair remote to Xfinity box. Aim the Voice Remote at your X1 TV Box or Flex TV Box, press the Microphone (Voice) button and say, "Program remote." Follow the on-screen instructions.  ONLY CONNECT THE REMOTE TO THE BOX. IF IT ASKS ABOUT TV PAIRING, say NOT NOW. 
  4. Make sure remote now works for your box.
  5. Pair TV directly. Do not use the guide. Press the Setup button on the remote until the LED at the top of the remote changes from red to green.  Enter your TV code.  The LED will blink green twice to indicate that the remote was set.  Note that nothing shows up on the screen while doing this…it is manually programming. Make sure remote works for controlling TV (vol, power on/off). 
  6. Pair AV directly.  Do not use the guide. Press the Setup button on the remote until the LED at the top of the remote changes from red to green.  Enter your AV code.  The LED will blink green twice to indicate that the remote was set. Note that nothing shows up on the screen while doing this…it is manually programming. Make sure remote works for controlling AV (vol, power on/off).
  7. Now try using the All Power button and see if it works. 

this was with a Sony tv (2021 model) and a Yamaha receiver (probably 5 years old). 

I can finally use ONLY the Xfinity remote to handle turning on tv and av, controlling volume (via av), and channels via Xfinity box. 

hope this helps others. 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@mrmattatl

Thanks so Much!!!! This worked for me!

Now I can use just one remote for my TV viewing!!! 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@mrmattatl  Thank you. Manual pairing (and not using the onscreen prompts) for TV and audio pairing worked. I'm thinking something is wrong with the onscreen pairing programming rolled out with the latest Xfinity update. It's nice to have it up and running again.

I have a Samsung TV (pairing code 12051) and Bose soundbar (pairing code 31933).

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Great! I'm glad to hear the manual pairing worked for you as well. Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with, @user_0554a0

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here