U

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, July 29th, 2024 12:40 AM

Looking for a FIX for rewind (not work-around)

I went looking in the forums to see if there was an existing thread for my issue, but every thread I saw was the same issue, same work-around and then the thread was closed. Periodically our X1 TV box will not be able to rewind on live TV. While I know resetting the box works as a “work-around”, i don’t rewind very often unless here’s something I really want to go back and watch.  It’s only THEN that I find out it doesn’t work and I would need to reset the box. That doesn’t help me see the stuff I just missed.

Rather than an “after the fact” work-around is there anything that can be done to FIX the issue so it doesn’t happen?

He’s some previous closed threads that I found.

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/x1/cant-rewind-pause-or-fast-forward-my-live-tv/613035eaef55351432c4502e

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/x1/pause-and-rewind-live-tv-does-not-work/6388ac9939eb3658cfbb74a7

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/x1/why-is-the-rewind-no-longer-working-on-live-tv/613fcaf08ea20f79f842788f

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/x1/this-set-top-box-doesnt-support-rewind/602db050c5375f08cd29be60

Official Employee

• 

915 Messages

2 months ago

@user_8e3aa4 Hello! Thank you for creating a public post! I looked through those posts and found two separate issues being mentioned. One is the pause and rewind being unresponsive and the other is the error message stating the set-top box doesn't support rewind. Can you tell me more about what you are experiencing?

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

The threads that I added to my first post all had a common theme. Whether there’s an error or the system stops responding, the work-around is to reset the cable box. That work-around doesn’t address the root cause of either issue. As shown by the threads this may work temporarily but not as a long-term fix.

My particular issue is that periodically with no discernible pattern while trying to rewind live television I’m met with the 🚫(“do not” symbol) and the text “This device is not configured for this function” (or something very similar).

As with the theads I linked, the solution has been to restart the cable box. But that doesn’t help with seeing the item for which I was trying to rewind.

That’s why I’m looking for a long-term solution instead of the same work-around.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

I completely understand wanting to find a long-term solution @user_8e3aa4. As an intermittent problem occurring randomly, restarting the box is one of the first steps recommended to troubleshooting the issue. I can see how it would be frustrating for this solution to prevent you from rewinding the item after fixing the box. How often is this issue happening?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

Just installed a "new" (obviously refurbished because it still has a bunch of programs we don't watch recorded on it) X1 box. The remote pairing was a disaster that took almost half an hour. But now have noticed pause, rewind, etc. doesn't work on live TV. This is totally unacceptable! I have tried a system refresh and a system restart. NIETHER of these addresses the issue, but as the OP (@user_8e3aa4) says having to restart the system every time this happens is going to make me want a return to my old DVR box, which was six years old and worked flawlessly! 

I don't get any kind of error message. All I see is when I press pause it appears to pause but when you push play it immediately jumps to live TV. Pushing rewind does nothing. You push rewind and it shows the blue bar seeming representing buffered content, but then the blue bar disappears and you are still on live TV. If this is the way this "new" device is going to behave (which based on the number of threads about this issue I am not optimistic it isn't) how do I get my old bax back????

1 Message

@XfinityTony​ Hi Tony, I need help as well. We picked up a DVR box yesterday (09/15/24) . Installed OK, Remote Ok.

Like other postings, attempting to pause results in ‘This desktop box does not support this feature” . Same is true for rewind of live show. Some ‘fixes’ start with channel up, pause, channel down-these can never work as pause isn’t working.

Another comment is that this option is controlled by a memory card. Does this make sense?

I would assume that either it is missing or non-functional. Is there a diagnostic for existence of the card.

This is box #6 in two months. First one with this issue. Any alternative to getting a new box?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello user_4h0nnl! Thanks so much for reaching out to us on our Xfinity Forums and sharing the experience you are having with the new cable box. I'm sorry that the functions are not working. I know they are the main perks of having a DVR!

I worry that you may have been given the wrong type of device since pause and rewind are not available. Some of our non DVR X1 cable boxes have the ability to briefly pause / rewind a program with an SD memory card, however they are not DVR's and will not offer the same functions as a DVR would. Do you see the new device list here? Have you experienced other issues as well since this is the 6th device. Or has it been the same issue with being unable to pause and rewind? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

2 months ago

How often is it happening? Every couple of months (in general). It’s hard to tell any regularity since we watch very little broadcast or cable TV, but rather stream most of kur entertainment (Netflix, Hulu, etc.?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

user_8e3aa4 we can also make sure your cable box is set to update (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/changing-daily-update-time)

and upgrade your equipment if there's an opportunity to. Are you able to share the make and model number of your cable box? 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here