yoterryh's profile

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

Friday, December 15th, 2023 7:04 AM

Xumo stream box shuts itself off

After a 28% increase in my Comcast bill, I called customer service to see what could be done. I had a very minimal cable package but fast internet. I never had even hooked up the cable box that I got from Comcast since I didn't really need it. What they offered was a pretty good deal including a new stream box from XUMO. I went to my local Xfinity store, took in my old cable box and came home with the new Xumo. I was able to get it set up and configured and add in credentials for the various streaming service I use outside of Comcast. Everything seemed to be working fine. After a few hours I came back to watch TV and noticed that when I turn the TV on after a few seconds the power light on the Xumo went out. Now I can't make it work at all! If I remove the power supply and plug it back in, the box works for a few seconds then the power light begins to flash, then it shuts off. I tried moving it to different outlets, I reset my cable modem just for fun, but the behavior continues. So while it seemed like a promising new piece of technology, it's frustrating that it can't work. After doing some searching on the internet I saw a forum post on the spectrum cable forums. Dozens of people are reporting the same issue, basically the zumo powering off after a certain period of time! I also spoke with Xfinity support they went through some basic troubleshooting but couldn't resolve the issue. I have an appointment scheduled for a Comcast tech to come to my home and troubleshoot. in meantime I was thinking of just going back to the Xfinity store and getting a replacement stream box. But in reading the spectrum cable forum, people are saying that a replacement Xumo box did exactly the same thing! I was also told that this device is new for Xfinity and had only been out about a month according to the tech I spoke with on the phone. After all of this my question is are other people having the same issue and have you been able to resolve it?

Accepted Solution

1 Message

3 months ago

I have been having the exact same issues and Xfinity couldn't help. Just tried the home button on the remote and the button under the xumo box trick and it worked! 

This comment was created from this reply

7 Messages

Same - for less than a week it worked.  Now, back to the same and this trick no longer works for me.  Comcast is great at billing and raising prices.  They are awful at customer service.  

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@user_gg0is2​ 

Thanks for the suggestion, it worked for me as of 5 minutes ago and hope it stays working.

😊 

Official Employee

• 

787 Messages

@cougarx47 Hello and thanks for the update. We are glad to know your Xumo services are working. Is there anything more we can address for you? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

@user_gg0is2​ YES! This worked for some reason. I just pressed and held the green Home button on the remote and the button on bottom of xumo box, has 2 arrows --><--. Immediately turned on and is working! Thank you! 🙏 

1 Message

Can't find a home button on my Vizio tv remote.  Do see the arrows pointing at each other on the Xumo box.

3 Messages

5 months ago

I have a similar story, bill went up, called, changed plan, xfinity Flex box wouldn’t work, they sent a xumo box and now xumo wants to watch what xumo wants to watch. Xumo keeps changing the channel every 3-15 minutes.  
I feel your pain 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Thanks for reaching out, user_zu5bp3! If you're still having issues, I'd be more than happy to help you with your Xumo issue. Did this always happen to you since you got the device. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

Having same issues all 3 boxes

Official Employee

• 

502 Messages

@user_jd38ri, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us using the Community Forums page. We would be more than happy to look into the concerns you are experiencing with your video equipment. To confirm, are the boxes you are experiencing concerns with 3 Xumo boxes?

1 Message

We are having the same issue it is extremely frustrating. I have been to the xfinity store twice now and going to have to go back again!

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Xfinity does not have a solution for the xumo box shutting off, but they will drag you along endlessly with wasteful, useless "customer support" until you simply give up. Try Roku! Xfinity has become a big fat lumbering giant benefitting from it's monopoly status too long before competition had a chance. I've been blatantly lied to so many times by their techies it's become apparent they do not know how to troubleshoot their own technology. After all that, unless I'm as rude as their support personnel shoving mobile sales down my throat, they get to waste even more of my time. Xfinity is about sales, not help in any meaningful form, so I have spent 5 days learning.

3 Messages

5 months ago

Exactly the same experience. 

3 Messages

5 months ago

This issue is occurring with Spectrum users who have a XUMO box as well:

https://community.spectrum.net/discussion/comment/185580#Comment_185580

My flex worked great for years, then it suddenly wouldn't work or reboot. Replaced it with XUMO. Set it all up and it worked well. Later on the same day, it wouldn't reboot no matter how many times I power it off and on. 

Switched back to my Roku and it works just fine. Please let me know when Xfinity resolves this issue. 

(edited)

3 Messages

5 months ago

I read online where someone said to press the home button on the remote while the Xumo receiver box was rebooting after unplugging and then plugging it back in. It worked.  My Xumo stayed powered on and all my settings were still there.

1 Message

I have been having the exact same issues and Xfinity couldn't help. Just tried the home button on the remote and the button under the xumo box trick and it worked! 

This reply has been converted into a comment

Official Employee

• 

480 Messages

@user_gg0is2 I am glad that worked. Please let us know if you have any more issues.

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

@user_ikjspq​ Having to do this every time the box shuts down isn't a solution. I really think they're waiting for someone in this venue to figure it out because they can't be bothered from making more sales. 

(edited)

1 Message

5 months ago

I also had the same problem tonight. 

I presded the button on the back of the box (look for the 2 arrows) + the home button at the same time. It worked (for now)! I hope that did the trick. It is concerning that the box does it's own thing though. 

1 Message

Same here thank you!

Official Employee

• 

671 Messages

@Iymfbrothr thank you for taking the time out of your day to follow up and let others know that worked for you as well. If you need any assistance with anything please let me know. 

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Why isn't Xfinity answering the questions?

Contributor

• 

62 Messages

@Badhoney​ Since that worked, I was told that double arrow button was the WIFI WPS setup button, does that mean you are connected by WIFI?  Getting the same issue on a new box but it is hard-wired.

Official Employee

• 

480 Messages

gwtx Are you still having issues with your Xumo box?

1 Message

5 months ago

Literally going through the same thing right now. 

1 Message

4 months ago

[Edited: "Inflammatory"].  Mine won’t stay on long enough to even get to the main page.  After “Hello Hola” it just turns off and I get “No Signal”. I’m just gonna buy a Roku and get rid of all non-internet Xfinity products for good. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

896 Messages

@user_t6logu Thank you for reaching out on the Xfinity Community Forums. There are a couple comments in the thread with a solution. Have you attempted this to see if it works on your Xumo Streaming box? Please let us know if you would like to troubleshoot further. 

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

@user_t6logu​ My niece has Roku because Xfinity was never able to explain this zumo box issue. She warned me but I was talked into sticking with Xfinity by of course Xfinity. They practically beg you to stay. I'm going with Roku. They have wasted so much of my time it's sickening! 

3 Messages

4 months ago

Yes!!!  Similar story here.  I had inexpensive internet but I had a flex box that was free with my account and it worked great.  My bill went up and I had to call and change my plan. As soon as they ‘flipped the switch’ to my new plan, my flex box quit working.  
———— Long story short I’m on my 2nd Xumo box and it changes channels back and forth and shuts itself off all the time. It’s the worst and getting ahold of customer service is non existent lol.  I’ll stop in to the xfinity store soon.  

Official Employee

• 

549 Messages

@user_zu5bp3 This isn't the experience we want any customer to have. I know you said you will go to the Xfinity store, but we are here to help if you need it. 

1 Message

Except for credit on my account, xfinity has never resolved any of my issues with their service. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello, @user_mqrsxp if your additional issues are unrelated to the topic of the post we ask that you please find the most appropriate public board for your question type and post it there. If needed, we may invite you to send us a Direct Message. Any issues you are having related to the topic please list them here in this thread, so we can assist. 

2 Messages

4 months ago

Same exact scenario. Bill went up.... called.....switched to xumo. One xumo box worked immediately until 4 days later it went completely out (light goes and can't reactivate).  The other xumo box I've had to replace 2 times since the light won't stay on.  The last time I went to the Xfinity store for a replacement the rep finally admitted that a lot of people were having "issues" with the box and it wasn't just me.  I'm about to return both and just keep internet only at this point until they can get the kinks out

Official Employee

• 

3.8K Messages

Hey, @user_x7tuw4! Thanks for reaching out to us on the forums! I apologize to hear of the issues you have been having with the Xumo box! Have all boxes been from the store or have we tried to ship one out to you?

2 Messages

All from boxes have been from the store 

Official Employee

• 

615 Messages

@user_x7tuw4 Thank you for taking the time to reach out about this. We can definitely help, please send a direct message with your name and address, thank you! 

To send a direct message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.

As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.

An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

1 Message

4 months ago

Same exact issue. My box worked for about a week and then cut itself off. I tried unplugging it. It tries to reboot for a few seconds and then crashes again. 

(edited)

1 Message

4 months ago

Yeah just came home with the Xumo box from the local xfinity store. Set it up around 300pm and by 1000pm the thing was shutting off nothing would work. I can't say I followed the suggestions about because i never pressed the home button plus the button underneath the box (2 arrows) but i pressed enough of them for the box to stay on though. Really weird, that plus the lag in the remote/box, plus trouble connecting the remote to control my tv is already bumping up against my frustration limit.  Probably will be returning this Xumo box to the store on Monday.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@user_eklbv9 thanks for letting us know. Please feel free to reach out should you desire help with troubleshooting. We are always here and happy to help you. 

4 Messages

4 months ago

Xumo box works at first, when I first set it up -  and then I leave for a few hours - and I come home the box its off and when I powercycle the unit it turns on, I get the "Hello" screen, it changes to the Xumo logo spalsh screen and then immediately shuts itself off again.

THIS HAS HAPPENED TWICE!! 

I had the same Xi6-A for years in the same spot and never had any issues. Now I have wasted my time going to the store for these shitty xumo boxes twice

1 Message

4 months ago

I'm having ALL the same issues with Xumo Box everyone else is having including a technician had to come out and fix issues.  Got mine to stay on after that but on every app it freezes every 30;seconds and have been having issues with my Internet now. Never had internet issues (expect for power outage) until I got the Xumo Box. I'm going to go buy a smart TV and take back the Xumo Box back to Comcast!!!! 

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

@user_t43snc Thank you for taking the time out of your day to bring your experience to our attention. I am sorry to hear you have issues with the box. Here is a link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-app-faqs for the partner devices you can use with Xfinity Stream App. 

Per your internet issues, I want to make sure we are respecting your time and not repeat the steps you have taken previously. What troubleshooting steps have you taken since the technician visit? I also wanted to make sure you are aware that any time you need to troubleshoot our Xfinity app can assist you step by step. It is not just to pay your bill or to get notifications about interruptions. To learn how to troubleshoot in the future you can follow the link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-app. Honestly, it is the best app to date that we offer and super easy to use for all of your account needs!

1 Message

4 months ago

I just found the solution. When the Xumo Box auto shuts off, it falls out of sync with the TV. For example, when you press the power button,  the TV and the Xumo should turn on. Because of that auto shut off feature, the TV remains on, while the Xumo is off. So, how I fix this is, I got up and turned the TV off by the switch on the set of my TV (not via the remote because that would trigger the Xumo to turn ON). So then with the TV off via the set switch and the Xumo off via its own protocol, I pressed the power button on the remote and they both came on in sync. Easy Peasy.

6 Messages

Is this fix still working? Have you had to do it again?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here