Mystickoracle's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, May 22nd, 2019 9:00 AM

Closed

On Demand no longer supported on TiVo (after 6/25/19)

Just recieved a letter from Comcast that at the end of June the OnDemand app will no longer be available to TiVo users.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Mystickoracle wrote:
Just recieved a letter from Comcast that at the end of June the OnDemand app will no longer be available to TiVo users.

Apologies for the experience. We have started to notify impacted customers.

On June 25, Comcast and TiVo will remove the ability for customers to access Xfinity On Demand on TiVo devices.

The platform that connects TiVo and Xfinity devices uses out-of-date technology that can’t be upgraded or updated, making it susceptible to security breaches and therefore both companies decided to sunset the feature.

Why can I no longer access Xfinity On Demand on my TiVo device after June 25th?
We made the decision to remove the Xfinity On Demand app from TiVo devices because the platform utilizes outdated technology that can no longer be updated and is therefore susceptible to security breaches. The decision to remove the feature was made in close consultation with TiVo.

Does this include access to SVOD (Subscription Video On Demand) packages I access through Xfinity On Demand such as: DOGTV and History Vault On Demand?
Yes. In order to continue watching this content, you will need an Xfinity TV box  or a device that can access the Xfinity Stream App (Roku, certain smart TVs, smartphone, tablet or computer). 

Will any other parts of my TiVo experience be affected by this change?
No, no other part of your TiVo experience with Xfinity will be affected. You can still watch and record live TV, and your recordings won’t be deleted.

Are there other ways I can watch On Demand content?
Yes. If you have an Xfinity TV Box, you can still access your On Demand content, including any SVOD subscriptions. You can also access all of your On Demand content via the Xfinity Stream app and portal, which is available on Apple and Android devices, computers/laptops, Roku devices, Samsung Smart TVs and later this year on LG Smart TVs. 

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have been a  customer for 40 years and pay 170.00 a month and now comcast tells me that after june 25 i will no longer have on demaand on my tivo i have no more hdmi outlets to use on my 3 tivo cconnected tv's so what  now ?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Will allow us to use HBO go now?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Computowne wrote:
Will allow us to use HBO go now?

Will any other parts of my TiVo experience be affected by this change?
No, no other part of your TiVo experience with Xfinity will be affected. You can still watch and record live TV, and your recordings won’t be deleted.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

5 years ago

@pwallace wrote:

I have been a  customer for 40 years and pay 170.00 a month and now comcast tells me that after june 25 i will no longer have on demaand on my tivo i have no more hdmi outlets to use on my 3 tivo cconnected tv's so what  now ?

Apologies. To be clear, it's "TiVo and Comcast" both telling you that. There are some options presented in the direct communication that you received (or will receive) and above.     

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I received the letter from Comcast saying that OnDemand will no longer be available due to outdated technology being used to provide this service.

The letter states that the Xfinity Stream app will still work.  Why can't TIVO and Comcast simply create a OnDemand application simular to the Netflix and Amazon Prime apps that run on the Tivo box? 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Is there any plan by Comcast and TiVo to support TiVo customers by developing a new VOD app which can be used on TiVo systems to view Xfinity on demand content?  

I just bought a TiVo system 2 weeks ago and just subscribed to Comcast TV.  VOD was a major reason.  Can I cancel now that I cannot receive this service?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

So basically Xfinity has found an other way to squeeze more money from us by forcing us to have an Xfinity box when we have a Tivo already.

Lame

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Using Xfinity Stream would be fine, except that it counts against your data cap, where VOD does not.

Solution: Make Stream not count against data cap.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

Are there other ways I can watch On Demand content?
Yes. If you have an Xfinity TV Box, you can still access your On Demand content, including any SVOD subscriptions. You can also access all of your On Demand content via the Xfinity Stream app and portal, which is available on Apple and Android devices, computers/laptops, Roku devices, Samsung Smart TVs and later this year on LG Smart TVs. 

I am a paying customer with Xfinity TV and Internet services (Double Play). I use use a Comcast cable card + TiVO combination.

Can someone please provide a clear answer to the following questions, thanks:

Question 1 (relates to my LAPTOP / ANDROID):

Please confirm whether it is free to access / use 'Xfinity Stream' web site (xfinity/com/stream) / Android 'Xfinity Stream' app to get Xfinity OnDemand on my laptop or Android device?

When I install / access Xfinity Stream on my laptop, I am getting a 'terms of service' consent form on my laptop and on my Roku. It mentions you are authorizing access to Cloud technology to access your "xfinity stream subscription" ("Terms of Activation - you agree that you want to enable cloud technology to access your Xfinity Stream subscription on additional supported devices like computers and tablets, as well as the TV connected to your set-top DVR via Comcast's network.")

Question 2. (regarding my ROKU):

I read that after the "Xfinity Stream beta trial" expires, there will (may?) be a fee for using Xfinity Stream app / service on Roku devices?

Is this true? (I only use OnDemand through it since OnDemand will no longer work through TiVO)

I hence, for now, declined the terms of service on the Roku Xfinity Stream app for now till I get confirmation on the following.

Is this true if all I want is OnDemand?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This is exactly the problem. The proposed solution (using Xfinity Stream) instead of VOD would be fine if Comcast didn't count the resulting traffic against the data cap. The fact that Comcast ever did that was rediculous (why is consumption of content I already pay Comcast for treated differently depending on mode of access?), but now that we are forced to use just one option, it absolutley shoud NOT count against the data cap. Give us that and I will be ok with the change.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

According to Comcast, "on-demand" via Tivo cannot be updated or upgraded.  How can a company tell an outright lie as an absolute truth?  Oh, yes, that's right this is Comcast.  How stupid of me.  Any computer programmer, user or owner of any gadget on the planet knows anything with an OS, firmware or user applications can be upgraded at any time.  The truth is that Comcast, like others have said, wants us to use their boxes, pay their fees and keep track of every program we watch to sell the demographic or even specific user data to third parties.  Big Brother is watching and THIS IS 1984.  Is any part of this new policy a surprise to Comcast customers?  Well, there is for me; their statement didn't mention that this new policy provides a better user experience which they throw out every time they downgrade service.  Among other actions by this anti-customer oriented company was to reduce "cable channel" programming to 720p when the rest of the universe has 1080p, many have 4k and our friends in Asia are boasting 8k.  Comcast has us living in the dark ages of technology and I wish there was a competing cable company in our area because I would dump them in a millisecond.  Our local congressman is in their pocket and the FCC chairman is their puppet.  We remain at their mercy.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@pwallace wrote:

Apologies. To be clear, it's "TiVo and Comcast" both telling you that. There are some options presented in the direct communication that you received (or will receive) and above.     

Actually, to be clear, some of us had to find this out from TiVo. We never received any notice from comcast, which is actually pretty typical considering that when the service sheds channels they just disappear.

As others have mentioned, the only solution to this is to use the Xfinity Stream app. That would be great if it was available for all android devices; it's not. My Sony TV doesn't have access to this app which means to use your solution I have to go out and pay for another device (Roku ~ $80) and then potentially pay Roku a fee for something I'm already paying Comcast a fee for? No.

What compensation is comcast prepared to offer me now that they have reduced my service with no viable solution?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

5 years ago

Roku itself does not charge a fee. Also, $80 is the Roku Ultra. The Express starts at $30.

https://www.roku.com/products/players

Also, Xfinity stream should NOT count against your data if you are on the Comcast network at home.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

So does this mean that our multi-year commitments to Comcast end at the same time that our access to the Xfinity streaming app, ends?  So I am free to switch on 6/25/19 when you stop providing the streaming service to my device, right?  If that isn't the plan then Comcast should provide free DVRS to the effected TIVO customers if they choose to continue to want live streaming access through the App, is that the current plan?  I would consider a substitute, but I am not interested in taking on an additional monthly fee because Comcast has changed its mind about supporting the app on the device I own.  I also understand if Comcast wants to waive the commitments of TIVO owners who want to switch service if that is your plan.  However, I am not interested in Comcast changing the terms of my service and expecting me to keep my terms.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here