G

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, March 14th, 2022 1:02 AM

Closed

Sudden spike in data usage

I just got off the phone with an agent after disputing my current data usage trends and I'm fuming. I have been with Comcast/Xfinity for YEARS. I have never gotten close to reaching my data limit. I've never gone over 700GB in a month, ever. Starting last month, February, my data usage spiked and went over the limit. We're now 13 days into March and I received the 90% usage notification. There is absolutely no way. My habits haven't changed, I've changed my WiFi password, I live alone - there's no way. 

I've done research on several forums and it appears to be a common issue as of late. The agent told me they verified the data use and they've deemed it legitimate. Meaning, I'm responsible for paying whatever overage charges I receive. But wait! "You could upgrade to our unlimited data plan to avoid overage charges!" 

I refuse. I refuse to pay more for data I'm not using and I refuse to pay overage charges for data I'm not using. Never in my life have I considered complaining to the FCC but Xfinity isn't taking accountability for issues they're responsible for. The evidence is damning so I think it might be worth it. 

Either that, or I'm changing services immediately. 

Problem Solver

• 

606 Messages

2 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience when you reached out to look  into what is going on with the spike in your data usage on your account. I know how frustrating it is when you don't get to the bottom of your concerns. I do want to see you get the answers you are seeking. 

We have our Customer Security Assurance team for this exact purpose. They have been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for our Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected computers (commonly referred to as bots), online fraud and other security issues. I do recommend contacting our Customer Security Assurance team between 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week by dialling 1-888-565-4329. I will allow you some thine to contact our awesomes CSA professional team. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I'm having the same issue this month. I've never exceeding, then BOOM huge overage! This is absolute horrible! How is this even legal???

Official Employee

• 

632 Messages

Hey there! Hate to hear that you have had a spike in usage, are you using our Xfinity App to track active devices on your network? Have you had any changes to your electronics or visitors? These things can add up and cause higher usage. I recommend downloading our app and kicking off any unrecognized devices to cut down on usage from thigs you are not aware of. 

Here is a link where you can review recently monthly usage. https://comca.st/3DbG8SJ

[Edit: Link]

(edited)

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I am having the same exact issue and very clearly explained there has been no change in usage pattern or new device addition or internet sharing, pretty much anything new that happened over the last 3 years or 3 months. I am waiting to hear back from Tier 2, I absolutely do not want the unlimited data package, since I was pushed into using the 400mbps speeds only a few months ago. Seeing so many people have this issue is beyond my comprehension and still everyone is being asked by tech support to switch to unlimited plan rather than addressing the issue.

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_3f0513 I can understand how this would be frustrating. I know you mentioned having a ticket opened. Can you please send a private message by clicking the direct messaging chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. Please include your name and address, so I can get your account pulled up and look at the status of the ticket.

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@user_1aa5c2​ 

I've  been having this exact issue!

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

We got hit with the same problem. Xfinity says we used more data in one day than we usually use in a month. 
So far we have had no luck getting any explanation. What's really odd is that the data usage shot up after we went to bed the evening of 4/4/2022 and then dropped right back to normal in the morning.

The data usage spiked to between 160 - 190 Mbps for eight hours. That's about 100x our average usage over the past year. And it's 10x the previous highest usage... which was when our daughter was working remotely on video projects from our house for a few weeks last summer. (She has since moved away, so that's not a possible explanation.)

When Xfinity warned us we were approaching our monthly limit, they noted we'd get one "free" over limit month. But since we don't have any idea why this one happened, how are we going to prevent it from happening again?

I spent about an hour on chats and phone calls with Xfinity agents. They couldn't explain the spike. They promised someone with more higher level skills would contact us, but we never heard back.

We feel completely helpless.

Official Employee

• 

946 Messages

Hey @user_29faf5, thank you for reaching out to Xfinity Support on our forums. Sudden changes can definitely be worrisome and I'd love to help. One thing to keep in mind is data usage can take 24 hours to update so the usage may have been during the day. One of the major changes I noticed with my families usage was streaming. Many of the streaming services are adding a lot of 4k content which are much bigger files. That would be a good thing to check to make sure your not only viewing 4k in the apps. with hat size of spike, it could also been a update to one of the devices. Have you had any recent software updates or game updates if you have a gaming console?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

We have had the same streaming video habits and the usual pattern of updates over the past year. For instance, we streamed some shows over our 4K Apple TV last night... and our usage peaked at about 30 Mbps. Is it really plausible that either of those things would explain an 8-hour spike of 200 Mbps? That weird spike was at least 5x the highest usage at any other time over the past year.

Your explanation fits the pattern of Xfinity blaming the customer.

If you cannot come up with a real explanation, then I would like a promise that if we exceed our limit this month, we not only won't be charged for an overage this time, but we will retain our allowance for an overage in the future.

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

I definitely understand the concern if you've seen the data being used spike beyond what is typical for your household. Are you using an Xfinity modem? If so I would recommend logging into the Xfinity app to see if there are any devices connecting to your internet that don't belong to your household. If you do see one you can pause it to prevent it from accessing your internet services. I would also recommend changing your Wi-Fi name and password. 

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

We have our own modem. I have reviewed all the connected devices. Yes, I could change the password again.

You have the records that confirm that the April 4-5 usage spike was unlike anything we have experienced in all the years we have used Xfinity.

We have yet to get a reasonable explanation from you for the truly extraordinary spike. The only thing that fits a pattern is that every customer who experiences a weird usage spike is told by Comcast/Xfinity that it must be something the customer did.

That's just what you did even to a customer who had disconnected his modem to guarantee that he wasn't using the data you claimed he was.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/comcast-incorrectly-charged-2000-customers-for-exceeding-data-cap/

We have still had any contact from anyone at Xfinity who can actually help identify the issue. Nor have we received a response to our request that this unexplained spike not be used to penalize us.

Someday we will have a choice of providers.

New Problem Solver

• 

452 Messages

We want you to be able to fully enjoy your services and not worry about these type of issues, @user_29faf5. Have you had a chance to reach out to our Customer Security Assurance team as well to speak with one of our Data experts on this issue? 
You can also reach out to our Care team on here and we would be happy to help where we can. 

To get started, please use the chat icon in the upper right to enter Direct Messaging. From there, go ahead and compose a new message to "Xfinity Support" and send us a message with your name and address. 

To send a direct message [private message]:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message" icon

or https://comca.st/37hULbR

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
  • - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
  • - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Same exact thing is happening to me for March and April. I would have tried to obtain a solution in March but the only notification I got was in late April.  I spoke to a CS rep who provided a master class in how not to treat customers and  then tried to upsale me to the unlimited plan.

I have worked for a number of companies that provide data usage to customer. Errors and leakage do occur. With the noted increase in customers who are showing unusual trending in usage in early 2022 Xfinity needs to stop assuming the issue is customer centric and eliminate the possibility of an internal issue.

I am detaching my modem from the cable outlet tomorrow. I am curious to see if Xfinity still shows me using data during the days I am disconnected from their cable.  

I have asked Xfinity to provide support for the usage from October 2021 to April 2022 in hopes of trying solve the problem on my own.  Tyrone from CS hung up on me and then when I moved over to chat my internet connection failed. I am going to a Xfinity store near me this week. They can't hang up on a customer when the inquiries are face to face.   T-Mobile Is on my way home. No harm in stopping in to discuss their home internet plans. 

Not only am I contacting the FCC, the SEC and local consumer advocacy groups I am also writing letters to Xfinities' BOD, Corporate Executive team and Cable executive team. Tyrone's behavior warrants a whole separate letter.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@user_29b992

Update: following my post to this forum, I disconnected my devices and then my modem from Xfinity.  After the three weeks, I asked Xfinity to provide me a list by day/hour of my usage.  I had several people say they were sending me the data.  To date, I have not received the information requested.

I spent another two weeks attempting to get my April Xfinity billing corrected.

Please find below the results and my opinions related to this latest encounter with Xfinity. 

RESULTS

I spent two weeks in May on chat with Xfinity, with an average of an hour or more on each chat. During this time my April overcharge went from 247GB to 347GB.  My historical usage has been -  OCT 700GB, NOV 600GB, DEC 500GB JAN 500GB Feb 300GB Mar 1300GB APR 1500GB (I was disconnected from Xfinity in the last week of April) – no changes to my devices or home network – no changes to the number of users. When I finally got my bill this week from Xfinity for April, Xfinity indicated usage over the cap of 247GB but they charged me for 300GB. 

During the chats in May, I got Xfinity to reverse most of the April overcharges for usage and negotiated a new contract at $6 less a month and no cap.

HOW

Persistence.

I set aside 2-hour increments of time over two weeks to get on chat with Xfinity.  I kept the Xfinity agent online working towards a resolution. 

Each chat resulted in an attempted up-sale by the Xfinity agent.  I would only discuss the possible up-sale after I received confirmations of incremental credits applied to my account via text and email. 

Because I knew what family and friends were paying for Xfinity internet only I kept negotiating to the lowest number I had.  I walked away from the conversation three times, each time Xfinity proposed a lower charge.  Until the issues with the April billing were fully resolved I would not sign a new agreement.

XFINITY AGENTS.  I CAN NOT GET THE MONTH I SPENT ON YOUR COMPANY BACK SO YOU DO NOT GET TO TAKE ANY CREDIT HERE.   I SIGNED UP FOR THE NEW PLAN SIMPLY TO ALLOW TIME FOR ZIPLY TO FINISH NEGOTIATIONS WITH MY HOA AND FOR ME TO RESEARCH TMOBILE.  THIS IS HOPEFULLY MY LAST CONTRACT WITH XFINITY.  IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS I WILL BE SENDING LETTERS TO THE AGENCIES PROVIDED IN MY ORIGINAL POST.  I WILL INCLUDE A BILLING FOR MY TIME IN MY LETTERS TO THE  XFINITY BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND XFINITY CFO.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@user_29b992

OPINIONS

• Xfinity phone and chat are not there for you. They are a customer-initiated sales opportunity for Xfinity.  The company agents are not interested in resolving your issues.  They are simply there to negotiate you into a different plan.  Go into these conversations armed for a fight to be heard.
  • Xfinity has a leakage or metering issue. There is no benefit to Xfinity in solving the issue or they would.  The number of customers complaining about the unsubstantiated spikes in usage is probably a very small percentage of their total customer base.  Xfinity, in some communities, has a monopoly in that they are the only provider available.  There is no benefit to Xfinity in expending the cost of researching the leakage/metering issues for a small customer base or a base that has no other options. That or they know the issue – cost/benefit
  • Xfinity would simply need to survey customers with complaints about unsubstantiated usage spikes to find the commonalities amongst complainants instead of marginalizing their complaints, but… cost/benefit.
  • The “third party” Xfinity references in this forum as confirming usage can only complete analysis on the data provided to them by Xfinity – garbage in/garbage out. If Xfinity is using a third party are they paying that third party? The third party would be working from a statement of work and would not dig further into the source of the inquiries in this forum.  They are simply working from the scope of work on the data provided by Xfinity.  Xfinity engages with third parties for some of their stores as well.  These stores cannot talk to you about your billing etc. They are there to sell you Xfinity only. Period.
  • Xfinity billing is ridiculous. It is intentionally confusing to dissuade customers from looking at their billing in detail and understanding it.  Worse billing I have ever seen.  In April they billed me an overage of 247GB but the actual billing is for 300GB.  REVIEW YOUR BILLING. 
  • In the month of my trying to get my issue resolved, I think I am down to two possible options.  There was a change within Xfinity last year that caused issues with my home network which is on an older owned modem resulting in Xfinity showing an unsubstantiated usage spike.  Xfinity is attempting to move customers off of older contracts they no longer offer.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Sorry one last note.  So far in May my usage is under 200GB.  This is for a week and a half of usage.  Really Xfinity.  

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Same is happening to me right now.  And I don't see any hopeful words about Xfinity helping with a solution.  AND no one is answering at the 800 number. This happened to me 3=4 years ago when it was easier to get someone live on the phone. When I kept demanding an answer the employee suddenly came up with "oh! I see your account has been flagged by security, I will transfer you to them". Security said bluntly "I will fix it" and wouldn't elaborate. That was a "fix" if ever I saw one!  

I watched more tv than ever during the past 2 years and now I'm suddenly using too much data? hmmm

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@MrWright​ I never did get an explanation for Comcast. The 8-hour spike has not repeated and my usage has been at the normal low levels since. On one hand, I could just forget about it. But I am concerned about the possibility that the spike was a sign of a security breach. Multiple scans of our computers haven't shown any infections... but as long as I don't have a good explanation for the data spike, I'll continue to worry. Comcast, as usual, has been no help at all.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I’m experiencing this exact same problem right now. It started in April. Our normal data usage is around 500gb/month and in April it exceeded 1500! Now, 2 days into May and we’re already showing 800gb. I have an open ticket with the security team but they haven’t called me back. No one can tell me what IP addresses or devices are using the data. I feel completely hopeless. 

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@Pgar08​ I never did get an explanation for Comcast. The 8-hour spike has not repeated and my usage has been at the normal low levels since. On one hand, I could just forget about it. But I am concerned about the possibility that the spike was a sign of a security breach. Multiple scans of our computers haven't shown any infections... but as long as I don't have a good explanation for the data spike, I'll continue to worry. Comcast, as usual, has been no help at all.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Same issue for me. Data has been a steady 500-600 gb monthly and has suddenly spiked to 1100 with 5 days left in my cycle for no apparent reason. Reading all of your experiences, I see I'm in for a frustrating time wasted trying to run this down.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@user_21b3aa​ I never did get an explanation for Comcast. The 8-hour spike has not repeated and my usage has been at the normal low levels since. On one hand, I could just forget about it. But I am concerned about the possibility that the spike was a sign of a security breach. Multiple scans of our computers haven't shown any infections... but as long as I don't have a good explanation for the data spike, I'll continue to worry. Comcast, as usual, has been no help at all.

Regular Visitor

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

Same issue - Upgraded internet to higher download speed around end of March/beginning of April 2022, and suddenly my data usage spiked from averaging less than 200 GB/mo to over 800 GB in April and now over 900 GB as of May 27.  We have not changed our internet usage nor number of devices.  We have security software and have our network secured.  No devices are using our network other than our own.  Seems like yet another money grab by Xfinity.  We are not happy and looking for another internet provider.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@Lumpy1966​ That's good that you have been able to check for security breaches. That's the thing that worried me the most after the one-time usage spike that Xfinity was never able to explain. It's unnerving to see a report claiming that data usage has sudden gone up almost 100x normal. Very glad that you saw no signs of a breach. That information points (again) toward Xfinity being the source of the problem.

Regular Visitor

• 

11 Messages

I contacted Xfinity via online chat shortly after posting my comment. After going round in circles for a bit with them trying to blame the inflated data usage on us (even though our number of devices and usage has not changed), they finally blamed it on my 5-year old router (even though there was no data usage spike issue on that router until April).  They insisted a new router would magically fix the issue, even going so far as to say if it didn't, they would give me a full refund. (Not sure what that meant because the router was free.  Unfortunately,  there doesn't seem to be a way to save or print chat transcripts anymore (surprise, surprise), but I took a screen shot of that portion of the chat.)  Shockingly, the new router has made no difference at all!  (Yes, that was sarcasm.)  Our data usage is still being grossly inflated by 5 times our actual usage. [EDIT: Solicitation] Xfinity, why aren't you fixing this problem?

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

735 Messages

Good morning! Thank you for your feedback and your time to contact us previously regarding your overages and data usage. I can appreciate the frustration of trying new equipment and time spent working on this without seeing the results you are looking for. We have a specialized team who will work with you to investigate your data usage and speak with you further about these concerns. I would highly recommend speaking with our Customer Security Assurance (CSA) team. I have included their contact information in this response. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. We are here to help!

Business Hours: 8:00am - 12:00am EST, 7 days a week

Regular Visitor

• 

11 Messages

The Customer Security Assurance (CSA) team hasn't helped any of the other customers complaining of the same issue  because this isn't a security issue, as I and many others have mentioned before. Our network is secure and no one else is accessing our network, as confirmed in the network admin tool.  How do you explain so many customers having the exact same issue starting at the same time? Fix the problem--it's on your end.

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

Thank you for getting back to us. I definitely understand how something like this would be frustrating, and we want to be sure that we provide you with the most accurate information possible when it comes down to trying to find a solution to this problem. With that said, I would like to review the account in order to see if I can find any additional information in regard to what our support teams have found in regard to the issue. Please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address so that we can look into this further. 

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Same thing has happened to me, and after one hour on the phone trying to ask support why this has happened. My usage has tripled in one month with similar usage as in the past. And, they tried to upsell a new service. Not happy!

Problem Solver

• 

409 Messages

Oh, no! Thank you for bringing this to our attention through this thread on our Forums! Were you able to reach out to our Customer Security Assurance Team? They would be the experts in this field of concern. I have attached their contact information below, just in case. I hope this was helpful! 

Customer Security Assurance (CSA) Team

PHONE NUMBER: 1-888-565-4329

Hours of Operation: 6:00 AM — 2:00 AM ET/Seven days a week.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Same problem here with overages since late March.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello @CKMedley, we definitely understand the concern of experiencing a spike in data overages and we would be more than happy to look into the billing concern. To begin, please send a Direct Message with your full name and address.

Here are the detailed steps to direct message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Press Enter to send your message

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

This is happening to me as well.  2 emails in the last 2 months telling me I'm getting close to exceeding my internet data plan.  I have not changed anything.  Could it be someone has hacked in and using my internet as well?

Official Employee

• 

884 Messages

@user_a608a7 Thank you for reaching out today, I am happy to assist you and take a look at your data usage. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Direct Message" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message chat" icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Same thing here. We went from using 554GB in March to 940GB in April to 1647GB in May. WHAT? We have not added any new devices and have changed passwords, etc. My son's gaming system has been off and no one is working from home. CRAZY! Trying to get a 3rd party to drill down into our data usage per device.

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

@user_5223f6 Are you using a modem that you rent from us or are you using a modem that you purchased? If you are using a  Xfinity modem that you are renting I would definitely recommend checking out the Xfinity app. You can see what devices are connected to your internet and using it. Some devices you may even be able to see what they are using the most. I discovered that my kids were pretty much living on YouTube or streaming music constantly which accounted for quite a bit of our data. 

The app is also helpful if you see devices that don't belong to your household you can pause them to prevent them from accessing your internet and using data. If you've already checked all of this on the Xfinity app or are using your own modem I do recommend contacting our Customer Security Assurance team between 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week by dialing 1-888-565-4329

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Having the same thing happen with my account. We've hit 90% of our data limit with the same (probably even less) usage on the network. Seems like some shady practices are going down here.

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

Hi, @user_a93608! Thank you for bringing this to our attention! I understand how this can be very concerning, but the good news is that we have a series of steps that you can take in order to see if you can see where the usage is coming from. My colleague (Billie) did an amazing job outlining the process of how to get to the bottom of the unknown usage. Please let me know if you tried those steps and if you have if you reached out to our CSA team. I appreciate your time!

I no longer work for Comcast

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

OMG! I’m CURRENTLY dealing with the SAME issue. 750 GB over out of nowhere! Received the 90% data usage on the 13th of the month. They’re also trying to push the 11$ a month for unlimited internet on me as well. CRAZY THE SAME EXACT THING IS HAPPENING TO MULTIPLE PEOPLE. 

Official Employee

• 

974 Messages

Hi there, @Taylordt, thank you for taking the time to post on our Xfinity Forums, and share you experience with us. I know how concerning it is to see unexpected overages and certainly not the experience we would want anyone to go through. Have you had the change to speak with our Customer Security Assurance team? I have pasted their information from above here:

I do recommend contacting our Customer Security Assurance team between 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week by dialing 1-888-565-4329.

Regular Visitor

• 

11 Messages

@Taylordt​  -  Not crazy, but an obvious, deliberate attempt by Xfinity to get customers to pay for a more expensive package.  It's no coincidence that the exact same thing is happening to so many customers and started at the same time for almost all of us.  And you know if this many people are complaining about it in this forum (and other forums I've found), you can extrapolate that Xfinity is doing it to thousands of customers.  Fix this, Xfinity! 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I am having the same problem.  Sudden spikes in June and July.  No other changes in viewing here.  Ready to drop Comcast once and for all!!!!!!!!

Problem Solver

• 

1.1K Messages

@user_013cb7 Thank you for letting us know about this concern. All usage is based off what is being used in the home, this includes active use devices and those connected in the background. You can find more information here: https://comca.st/3zsDtDR and can review the usage in the Account app.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

This is happening to us as well! Spiking started in May. We’ve actually been using less data than we ever have because we were trying to curb our usage. Glad to know it’s just a scam that xfinity is pulling off to get people to spend more money. It is hard when you don’t have any other choice but then. UGH. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here