Spokane44's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Called Xfinity and asked about the availability of XG1v4 cable boxes at my location (WA state), which has the capability to stream 4k content through Netflix.  Was assured, with repeated confirmations, that they were available to the local service store, would just have to bring in my existing cable box and exchange it.  Bought a nice LG OLED TV, upgraded my Netflix account to receive Ultra HD, and took my box down to the local service center for exchange, per customer service direction.  You can probably guess what happened next - "sorry, we don't have any 4k boxes, don't know when we will".  Anyone else been misled by the Xfinity garbage customer service?  Went online to see what lies they convey on their website regarding this matter, and found this:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/   More misleading BS.  Wanted to warn anyone else potentially in the same situation as myself not to believe anything you are told or read about the availability of XG1v4 boxes; go to your service center first to confirm.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

6 years ago

@ggibson864 wrote:

Where is the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting found?

He might be referring to a setting found on his model of LG tv.

The settings go by different names depending on the brand of UHD tv. You should also be aware that people with lower priced 60 Hz UHD televisions cannot get a 4k 60p signal.

It requires a upper tier 120 Hz UHD televisions. Most of the posters here having good success for 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos probably have a higher end 120 Hz UHD televisions.

Official Employee

• 

7K Messages

6 years ago

Hi andyat1217. We're sorry you were disappointed with the new DVR. Sounds like you have already troubleshooted a few things to try and improve the quality. I can assist with scheduling a technician visit to come out and confirm everything is operating/connected as it should be. I personally have the XG1v4 on my 4K UHD set at home, and the quality is phenomenal. If you'd like the additional assistance, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you. 

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

@ggibson864 wrote:

Like someone has already pointed out, this is a setting on my B6 OLED TV.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Of course.  You're comparing an over-the-air non-compressed image to a greatly compressed image.  OTA images will probably always look better.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Do you think you can send me one?Thanks. Do i have to put my private info here?

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@ggibson864 wrote:

The settings go by different names depending on the brand of UHD tv. You should also be aware that people with lower priced 60 Hz UHD televisions cannot get a 4k 60p signal.

It requires a upper tier 120 Hz UHD televisions. Most of the posters here having good success for 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos probably have a higher end 120 Hz UHD televisions.

60p and 60Hz are two different things. A 4K 60hz TV can get a 4K 60p signal, it doesn't require 120Hz. That's irrelevant anyway as 120Hz mainly helps to reduce motion blur or judder.

4K HDR and Dolby Atmos is a whole different thing. Just to update - I watched the Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony in 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos on On Demand last night. TV went into HDR Mode and it looked great.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

I've got the XG1 DVR currently and just ordered the XG1v4 box moments ago.  We'll see how it goes.  Currently I have a Sony XBR65X850D 4K TV.  I run it on the 1080i setting and let the TV do the rest.  It seems like it helps with the judder and blur.  I've got all upgraded coaxial and HDMI cables in my set up, but I don't know what's outside.  It's only a 3 year old subdivision, but I've never had signal issues thus far.  I'm a Sony snob.  All my AV is Sony.  Not for any good reason...just used to it and comfortable with it.  Anyone with a similar Sony TV with the new 4K box, I'd love some feedback.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

How do I get this new XG1v4 box?

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Xfinity has been re-encoding every channel to 720P for quite a while. With my last X1 box, I left it’s output at 720P to prevent another resizing/resampling step from occurring before it reached the TV. Now that I have the gen 4 I have left it at 2160P/60 and the HD channels are passable quality. In the short time I’ve had this box I’ve wondered if they have since started letting 1080i signals through unmolested.

(This was in response to the recent post about the video processor up scaling to 4K better than the X1. Sorry, haven’t figured out how to quote a post)

Regular Contributor

• 

151 Messages

6 years ago

Thank You Comcast,but I am not paying for a tech to come out at this stage.I made some adjustments and did watch a 4 k version of Woody Woodpecker movie on Netflix and there was a big picture improvement.I think at this point if the programming isnt produced for 4k it just not going to look as good.But after a few days of using new 4k box I can notice a slight improvement,however a lot of people who use Comcast in my area comment on the picture looking washed out on most channels regardless of what x1 box they have.The biggest complaint at this time I have with new X1 4K box(and this has nothing to do with picture quality)is no front of box clock,,my old X1 was the only clock in my room,but this is easily remedied by buying a cheap digital clock..This issue I can live with.I really dont like the new remote that came with new 4k box as it just doesnt feel as good in my hand ,but I do like that it can change TV inputs,however once changing inputs it only controls tv sound and wont change tv channels while in OTA mode,if there is a fix for this let me know as I would like to have 1 remote that covers all devices for my TV,OTA,Roku.But certainly not the worst thing.I am sure there will be improvements  over time.Also my Vizio TV isnt the best on the Market even though its a 4K set my model is M43-C-1 but better than Ive ever had.(my TV was exchanged out directly from Vizio when my new Vizio(only HD)TV quit working after 2 weeks.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@yamato72 wrote:
Xfinity has been re-encoding every channel to 720P for quite a while. With my last X1 box, I left it’s output at 720P to prevent another resizing/resampling step from occurring before it reached the TV. Now that I have the gen 4 I have left it at 2160P/60 and the HD channels are passable quality. In the short time I’ve had this box I’ve wondered if they have since started letting 1080i signals through unmolested.

(This was in response to the recent post about the video processor up scaling to 4K better than the X1. Sorry, haven’t figured out how to quote a post)

the networks provide HVEC for HD and mpeg2 for SD (only) feeds. The HEVC is converted to the 720p60 in mpeg4. the local retransmission channels are carried in Comcast in the broadcast format and for streaming is converted to progressive scan.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Didn't mean to necessarily reply to this, just got this box and had a question. Everything is great until I start to watch 4k Olympic. As soon as the video starts to load video drops out. I unplug and replug the HDMI and I get my video back with her and 4k. When video is done and it goes back to normal video I lose video again. Again unplug and replug HDMI gives me back my video. What could be the fix? Again only happens when swapping to and from 4k videos.

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

@a5m wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@ggibson864 wrote:

60p and 60Hz are two different things. A 4K 60hz TV can get a 4K 60p signal, it doesn't require 120Hz. That's irrelevant anyway as 120Hz mainly helps to reduce motion blur or judder.

4K HDR and Dolby Atmos is a whole different thing. Just to update - I watched the Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony in 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos on On Demand last night. TV went into HDR Mode and it looked great.

I think there is a common theme developing here. If your TV (or projector) has HDR capability, then the 4K looks good. If you don't have HDR capability, then the video is very washed out. It appears that the XG1v4 doesn't do a good job of HDR to SDR conversion. The unit definitely detects whether the TV does or does not have HDR capability but I'm just not sure it does anything differently with the output to compensate if it doesn't have HDR.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here