chrism3's profile

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

Saturday, August 25th, 2018 7:00 PM

Closed

XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

After a recent move, we upgraded from our old X1 box to the new 4K "XG1v4-A" box to work with our Samsung 4K UHD television.

We immediately realized that our box was requiring a reboot every day. So, we've been unplugging the box and plugging it back in. I've contact Xfinity about this issue several times. No one over the phone has been able to help.

Xfinity tech support simply had me swap out my box for a new one (which they have to send via FedEx -- requiring me to drop off the old box to the Xfinity store).  This is the third box and I still have the same issue. 

So, Xfinity sent out a tech yesterday. We were also having some internet connectivity problems (intermittent loss of internet on all of our devices). He discovered that the splice was installed by the Xfinity installation guy incorrectly (or so he said). 

However, the tech was puzzled. He said that everything should be working. He then attempted to say that our "problem" was our television.

I explained that we have swapped to another TV that worked perfectly fine (trading my sister-in-law's for a few days). Our television worked perfectly fine at her house with Xfinity and her TV worked fine at our house using the same box and same HDMI cable.

I explained to the tech that this didn't happen with the old X1 box. It doesn't happen with anything else connected to the TV (e.g., Xbox One, Blu-ray, etc.). I've even swapped HDMI cords, switched HDMI inputs, etc. Each and every time, the problem is only with the new XG1v4 box. 

The tech then said that he thinks that the cable issue that he "fixed" might solve the issue. He left roughly 25 minutes after arriving and said that he would have someone follow-up with me in a couple of days.

Today, I turned everything on again....and have the same problem. 

My TV is a Samsung 4K UHD television.

My power save mode is OFF.

My HDMI cable is 2.0 compatible (and I've tried FIVE of them -- all with the same issue).

My TV's firmware is up-to-date.

Apparently, this is a known issue. There are quite a few threads on the Xfinity forums with many posters addressing this issue. For instance:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/XG1v4-requires-reboot/td-p/3025141

Doe anyone have a resolution? 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, that is correct.  But I don't understand why your xg1v4 is sending PCM when it is capable of dolby digital.  Or why it would select that on auto if your TV is capable of accepting DD.  That's why I wondered if it would see the DD capability if you plugged it into your receiver.  When you are testing, be sure you are using a source that sends surround (maybe the netflix or amazon apps where the content is marked), although mine seems to send everything as DD even if there are only 2 channels.

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

Tv sees it from Nextflix and Prime also Hulu. Purchased a movie last night from Hulu 5.1 Dolby. I just think the X1 box isn’t sending out a 5.1 signal. TV sends 5.1 Dolby thru ARC to the denon receiver on any streaming device. I had the non 4K X1 box that worked fine just added the new box Monday.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

The Netflix app and content should be the same if you run it on the X1 box.   Have you checked if there is a firmware update for your TV.  Some other (different) LG issues posted here were resolved with an update.

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

I’m getting Netflix thru my TV app not the X1 box. But I just put in a dvd and I’m not getting DD from the dvd only stereo. Settings in the dvd are 5.1 DD don’t have a clue now

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

If the Netflix and Amazon apps on the X1 box send DD 5.1 the settings have to be right.  Mine (on auto setting) seems to send everything converted to DD.

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

I got it working by running everything thru the receiver and turning on all inputs on the receiver. Connecting straight to TV would not work. Thanks for you help

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

@chrismireya wrote:

@Klaus951 wrote:

Did you try turning on the energy saver option on your TV? It took care of the problem for me.

Could you please explain. Did you do this via your 4KTV or via the 4K X1 box?

I was instructed to turn OFF the "energy saver" problem via the X1 system box. It yields the same result regardless of whether it is on or off. 

BTW, my issue is with the Samsung 4K television. It seems like everyone that has a problem like this either has a Samsung 4K or Sony 4K television. 

I haven't finished reading through the forum, however we've been having the same exact issue with our LG tvs.  In fact, this is the 3rd box since mid-November.  Will be reading through this site to see what if anything can be done.  Very frustrating to say the least.

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

4 years ago

The problem returned about 2 weeks ago. And then there was a restart or reconfiguration in my service area, where I had to restart my other boxes. And the problem with the x1 went away. Weird. 

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

@chrismireya wrote:

I am the original poster for this. Somehow, an "answer" was selected for this that was NOT a real answer (and it wasn't selected by me). So, let me provide an update.

My issue began in July 2018. After countless attempts to resolve this issue, multiple XG1v4 replacements, many phone calls, a few tech workers sent to our home, changing settings on the TV or X1 device, etc., nothing worked.

By October 2019 (literally 15 months after the problem was first noticed -- and more than 450 days of having to unplug and replug my XG1v4 box to reboot it -- I had given up hope. I was going to transfer my home phone line from Comcast to AT&T and simply cancel my Comcast Xfinity service altogether (after 11 years with Comcast).

As my one-year locked Xfinity pricing was about to end,  something changed. Suddenly (in October), there was an outage. Afterward, I could turn on my TV with the remote and it actually worked. I had little faith that it would last more than a day or two -- but it did. A few weeks later, it still worked. It felt like a miracle. My cable would actually work when I turned it on!

It is now mid-November and I have not had this problem for about a month. The only thing that I can conclude is that it was some sort of software issue that was FINALLY resolved. It wasn't a tech support person fixing this via the phone. It wasn't a tech sent to my home. It wasn't a setting on my TV or X1 box. It simply started working.

It is crazy to think back over the last 16 months and how I had to unplug and replug my TV in every single day throughout that time period. To compensate me for my inconvenience, I had been promised credits a few times. They never showed up on my account. I had been promised that my issue would be escalated and I would receive a call. No one ever called back. 

In fact, I think that I only actually received one $20 for the "inconvenience" (of being unable to use my cable each day without having to unplug and replug my box in everyday). I don't think that I ever felt less valued as a customer than I did throughout that time. I think that Ken (the Xfinity rep in this thread) was the only one that seemed to go out of his way to find a solution. 

Still, it is nice to know that this issue has been resolved for me. I don't know HOW it was resolved after 16 months. However, it was resolved nonetheless. 

If you're still experiencing the problem, I would suggest that you contact Xfinity Tech Support and refer them to this thread. Whatever they did for me (and others like me) needs to be done for you. 

How do I order an outage?  Ever since we moved to our new house, I've had to occassionally reboot an X1 box in the same room.  The setup in the room hasn't changed since we moved in:  Cable wire into X1 4k box...HDMI to Pioneer Elite receiver...Receiver HDMI out to LG OLED TV HDMI in (not ARC).  TV not on on power save/eco settings.  When not in use, TV and receiver are turned off.  X1 4k box had always beeen on power save mode.  We have another 4k X1 box running through a Yamaha receiver into an LG and a non-4k, non-DVR X1 box straight into a Samsung TV....both have had no issues.

The week before Thanksgiving the cable wouldn't come on after several unplugging/plugging attempts.  Would occassionally see the "welcome" screen and then black screen on the TV (which meant that the TV was receiving a signal...when the TV doesn't have any signal it displays a message to that effect).  Reciever was still passing signals to TV because output from the the Blue-ray player through the reciver to the TV worked, as did the receiver's menu.  Swapped HDMI cable from X1 to reciever but still nothing.  Called Comcast and tech came out.  Checked all cables and signal strengths and said everything was fine...good signal from the passive splitter to the X1, etc.  He ended up installing a new (refurbished) box.   During setup of the new box, the tech had to use his portable TV to set up the new box b/c it didn't send signals through the receiver to my LG (in retrospect, that wasn't a good sign).  However once set up, he switched the HDMI cable from his TV to the reciever and all was well.  No problems until last week (Dec. 8th).

Last Sunday, the same problem occurred.  Lather, rinse, and repeat re: testing all inputs, etc.  Another tech came and this time he swapped out the power supply.  He was able to set up the 2nd box without having to use his portable TV so he attributed the previous incident to the power supply.

This morning, the same issue...no cable.  Tried this time to switch the HDMI from the receiver to go to the TV's HDMI 2 (ARC) connection...still nothing.  Then found this thread.  A third tech will come tomorrow with a non-4k, non-DVR X1 box...will see if that works.  (WHile the LG is 4k capable, the Pioneer is too old to pass 4k signals so it won't be a big loss.)  Perhaps the problem will go away.  Or perhaps someone can let me know how I can order an outage in the Boston suburbs?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I've had Comcast for almost 2 years now and need to reboot my box at least every other day. I'm counting down the days for a second choice for internet in my area. I can't dump Comcast soon enough. Making sure to teach my children to never use Comcast.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

That's not the normal experience.  If disconnecting the HDMI and reconnecting wakes it up, it is the handshake with the TV failing which seems to happen with a few brands/models.  Switching TV inputs to a different port and back might be enough to wake it up.  Some people have fixed it by changing the low power/sleep modes of the box and/or TV, updating TV firmware, changing the HDMI cable, or swapping the X1 box.

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

4 years ago

Twice I haad the problem, and twice it was resolved after an area-wide Comcast reset. Not a software version on the box, not a software upgrade to the TV, but a reset area-wide. Maybe it's a signal strength issue, or something, but it's working now.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

4 years ago

I have remarked this post as your Best Answer. You deserve it.

This post will be "Locked" since solved for you.

Thank you.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here