chrism3's profile

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

Saturday, August 25th, 2018 7:00 PM

Closed

XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

After a recent move, we upgraded from our old X1 box to the new 4K "XG1v4-A" box to work with our Samsung 4K UHD television.

We immediately realized that our box was requiring a reboot every day. So, we've been unplugging the box and plugging it back in. I've contact Xfinity about this issue several times. No one over the phone has been able to help.

Xfinity tech support simply had me swap out my box for a new one (which they have to send via FedEx -- requiring me to drop off the old box to the Xfinity store).  This is the third box and I still have the same issue. 

So, Xfinity sent out a tech yesterday. We were also having some internet connectivity problems (intermittent loss of internet on all of our devices). He discovered that the splice was installed by the Xfinity installation guy incorrectly (or so he said). 

However, the tech was puzzled. He said that everything should be working. He then attempted to say that our "problem" was our television.

I explained that we have swapped to another TV that worked perfectly fine (trading my sister-in-law's for a few days). Our television worked perfectly fine at her house with Xfinity and her TV worked fine at our house using the same box and same HDMI cable.

I explained to the tech that this didn't happen with the old X1 box. It doesn't happen with anything else connected to the TV (e.g., Xbox One, Blu-ray, etc.). I've even swapped HDMI cords, switched HDMI inputs, etc. Each and every time, the problem is only with the new XG1v4 box. 

The tech then said that he thinks that the cable issue that he "fixed" might solve the issue. He left roughly 25 minutes after arriving and said that he would have someone follow-up with me in a couple of days.

Today, I turned everything on again....and have the same problem. 

My TV is a Samsung 4K UHD television.

My power save mode is OFF.

My HDMI cable is 2.0 compatible (and I've tried FIVE of them -- all with the same issue).

My TV's firmware is up-to-date.

Apparently, this is a known issue. There are quite a few threads on the Xfinity forums with many posters addressing this issue. For instance:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/XG1v4-requires-reboot/td-p/3025141

Doe anyone have a resolution? 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

We have had two tech visits, 4 different boxes, all new cables - still have issue. Our other main box is and has been fine. Also, the TV with the issue is an old vizio.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

For what it's worth, I had to unplug and replug the power to the xfinity box for over five months and now, as of about 4 weeks ago, I don't have to.  I think a firmware update was rolled out to fix my situation.  Sony 4K HDTV (2017 vintage) running through a Denon receiver.  I had Comcast people come out clueless.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

my solution was to turn off the power save option.  it now comes on every morning.  the technology suks.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Hello, I had the same issue with my Samsung TV. This is what I did to fix it and for the las 2 month it’s been working ok. 1 replaced the provided Comcast cable with HDMI cable 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 compatible from Amazon or Bestbuy. 2 route the HDMI cable from the XG1v4 box direct to the TV HDMI port #1, if you route it via a sound bar then to the tv it may not work. You can then use another cable from the ARC tv port to the sound system.
3 Allow the box to update at night, I believe Xfinity has been rolling out firmware fixes for individual TV models.

This fixed my problem, I no longer have to reboot the box, but this issue is a TV / Topbox hand shake issue it works for some units but not for others.

Give it a try and let me know.

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you replying. The issue is fixed: all we did was switch boxes with the one in my living room, which was nearly but not quite identical, and we no longer have the “no signal” issue. Plus the box’s fan ran all the time and was noisy when sleeping. No issues once we swtiched to the other tv.

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

5 years ago

@rrrrob wrote:

my solution was to turn off the power save option.  it now comes on every morning.  the technology suks.

This hasn't worked for us. 

In fact, I never hated Comcast/Xfinity despite this problem. However, over the last month, I've noticed that Xfinity's customer service has taken a terrible downward turn. 

I was offered a free three-month trial of Showtime a couple of weeks ago because of our ongoing problem (and the fact that they no longer offer HBO trials). I noticed today that it doesn't work. I called Comcast only to have the agent transfer me to a rude person trying to upsell another slightly more expensive subscription plan to me.

This agent repeatedly told me that (from his notes) no one ever offered us a free trial of Showtime (which is frustrating and makes me upset to hear someone almost call you a liar on the phone). I explained that the ONLY reason that I called was because of what I was told. We don't even want Showtime -- but I only wanted to know why the promised free trial wasn't working.

We have been having this problem since July. The agent's only solution is typically to send out techs -- who cannot replicate the problem anyway. It is undoubtedly a software issue (because we didn't have this problem on my sister-in-law's TV when we swapped it for a week...and she didn't have any problems with our TV either). 

Like I said, I have been patient with Comcast Xfinity. Now, because of these poor experiences, I feel like cancelling and telling anyone and everyone on social media to avoid this company.

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

5 years ago

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@vadeltachi wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion; however, I've tried the new cables and they didn't solve the issues here.

I've also tried the suggestion to turn on the "HDMI UHD Color" on the HDMI port connected to the Comcast 4K box and that didn't solve the issue either. According to Samsung, turning this feature on tells the Samsung TV to expect 10-bit color signals from the source.

The issue definitely seems to be related to Samsung 4K TVs and the 4K Comcast box.

I am not sure to tell what software is running on the 4K Comcast box. One version is dated 2/22/19 and another version is 11/12/18. 

We are still having to manually reboot the box every time we want to watch TV.  

The once- daily system refreshes we are able to perform manually do not resolve the issue.

The suggestion was to turn "off" the UHD color on the HDMI port. Was that just a typo. on your post here?

@MNtundraRET  No -- the suggestion was from Samsung. It is apparently irrelevant as Comcast does not send 10-bit color signalling. So, on or off, has made no difference for us.  

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

There is no such thing as HDMI 2.2 The latest version of HDMI is 2.1, and it is not here yet. If you don't know the difference between HDMI and HDCP (Which really can be ver 2.2), please stop confusing people. Just google HDCP and HDMI...

@MNtundraRET wrote:

As already stated; you should be using 4K HDMI cables that are 2.2 compliant. Not all 4K HDMI are created equal. Your first post stated your's are only 2.0 compliant.

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

5 years ago

@Name_Taken wrote:

There is no such thing as HDMI 2.2 The latest version of HDMI is 2.1, and it is not here yet. If you don't know the difference between HDMI and HDCP (Which really can be ver 2.2), please stop confusing people. Just google HDCP and HDMI...

@MNtundraRET wrote:

As already stated; you should be using 4K HDMI cables that are 2.2 compliant. Not all 4K HDMI are created equal. Your first post stated your's are only 2.0 compliant.

I think that MNtundraRET directed his comment to me. I understood what he meant. An upper eschelon tech support rep at Xfinity told me that he was incorrect anyway. He stated that the cable included in the XG1v4 box is HDMI cable 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 cable compatible.

Still, from recommendations from various Xfinity reps and individuals in the forums, I have purchased several new HDMI cable 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 compatible cables. None of them resolved this issue.

I've had this issue since early July 2018. Since I pay well above $2000 per year, I would have expected the corporation to have at least contacted me for a temp fix.

The irony is that we had a very similar issue roughly eleven years ago. When we added Comcast, our flat-panel HDTV at the time (a higher end Toshiba) didn't work with the remote. You could turn on the TV; however, you couldn't use the remote to change channels or even turn the TV off again. It was baffling. 

Over the course of several weeks, different tech support workers were sent to our home. They kept saying that I must have defective HDMI ports on the TV. I pointed out a "fix" that I found online -- simply to show them that I wasn't the only person with a Toshiba TV that was having the problem. The "fix" was to simply use component cables. 

Sure enough, the component cables worked. The tech workers concluded that the "problem" was the television (despite the fact that HDMI worked with EVERY OTHER DEVICE). They even charged me for the visits (which was a pain to get those fees waived). We were just happy to have a working remote control.

A couple of years later, we had another issue with Comcast and we decided to purchase a new TV (since Comcast tech support was still acting as though our TV was defective). Before I disconnected and removed the old TV,  I unplugged the component cables and plugged in the HDMI cable to the Toshiba TV. It worked perfectly.

My guess is that it was a software issue with the box. Apparently, a software update was sent out between the time of our problem and the time when we bought another TV. It fixed the problem. I searched online and several people who had the same issue said that their fix was an update from Comcast.

I think that this is the same issue here. Xfinity continues to try and send tech support workers to our home. Each time, they cannot identify the issue and reach a conclusion that the problem is the TV. This is despite the fact that everything else works well on the TV (including an Xbox, 4K Blu-Ray, 4K Roku, DirecTv [which we tried by temporarily swapping with someone to check], etc.). 

Interestingly, our TV turned on for three days in a row. I thought that the problem might have been resolved. However, it was back to normal yesterday (requiring me to unplug the XG1v4 box and plug it back in). It makes me think that they are working on a fix though. 

I just wish that Xfinity customer service wasn't so dreadful. Has anyone else found that it has taken a turn for the worse over the last month or two?

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

we have the same issue

brand- new samsung 65 inch 4K tv - new comcast 1GB modem - new comcast 4k DVR box - polk audio command soundbar - orbi wireless system 

4K picture and sound via netflix, Amazon prime, youtube 4k is amazing

every other day or so we have to unplug the comcast box and plug it back in for a 2 minute reboot - not worth it for me to get comcast involved because they can't fix it....and very annoying customer service crew

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

I found that unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging back in fixed the problem immediately and avoided the 5 minute box reboot.  The problem was completely solved when we switched boxes with another room....

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

this our main dvr box so it may cause other issues if we switch, it doesn't happen every day, and some days turning it off and on fixes it.

the polk soundbar could also add to the issue, it has Alexa built so when i use Alexa i need to hit the HDMI button on the polk remote to change sound back from Alexa to TV (this is Polk expected behaviour)

but there are lots of 'smart devices' involved ,.....smart tv, smart soundbar, smart X1 box........so i can see why there are potential snags.

i will try unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable if it gets to be too much of a pain.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

How are you routing the Polk audio. X1 box to Polk audio to the tv? If that’s the case Try routing x1 box to hdmi port #1 then from tv ARC hdmi port #4 to the audio system. That’s how I had to rout my HDMI cable and it works
Good luck

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

Is there any way to talk to a Comcast engineer?  Someone posted a while ago that Comcast was working on solving this problem.  I am not sure how that information was obtained.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have exactly the same issue.  Samsung 4kTV, X1 box.  Several visits, box change and nothing corrects the issue for more than 24 hours.  I use the "My Account" app to send a restart signal to the box, wait the 5 minutes for everything to reload and then it works fine until the next day.  Turning off power savings, changing resolution, using different HDMI cables (and ports on the TV) and a new surge protector (all suggested by various Comcast technical support folks) had no effect on the problem.  It is very frustrating to have to do this every time we watch Xfinity.  Roku, Applet TV and Samsung DVD player all work as designed with any of the HDMI cable or ports on the Samsung set. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here