chrism3's profile

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

Saturday, August 25th, 2018 7:00 PM

Closed

XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

After a recent move, we upgraded from our old X1 box to the new 4K "XG1v4-A" box to work with our Samsung 4K UHD television.

We immediately realized that our box was requiring a reboot every day. So, we've been unplugging the box and plugging it back in. I've contact Xfinity about this issue several times. No one over the phone has been able to help.

Xfinity tech support simply had me swap out my box for a new one (which they have to send via FedEx -- requiring me to drop off the old box to the Xfinity store).  This is the third box and I still have the same issue. 

So, Xfinity sent out a tech yesterday. We were also having some internet connectivity problems (intermittent loss of internet on all of our devices). He discovered that the splice was installed by the Xfinity installation guy incorrectly (or so he said). 

However, the tech was puzzled. He said that everything should be working. He then attempted to say that our "problem" was our television.

I explained that we have swapped to another TV that worked perfectly fine (trading my sister-in-law's for a few days). Our television worked perfectly fine at her house with Xfinity and her TV worked fine at our house using the same box and same HDMI cable.

I explained to the tech that this didn't happen with the old X1 box. It doesn't happen with anything else connected to the TV (e.g., Xbox One, Blu-ray, etc.). I've even swapped HDMI cords, switched HDMI inputs, etc. Each and every time, the problem is only with the new XG1v4 box. 

The tech then said that he thinks that the cable issue that he "fixed" might solve the issue. He left roughly 25 minutes after arriving and said that he would have someone follow-up with me in a couple of days.

Today, I turned everything on again....and have the same problem. 

My TV is a Samsung 4K UHD television.

My power save mode is OFF.

My HDMI cable is 2.0 compatible (and I've tried FIVE of them -- all with the same issue).

My TV's firmware is up-to-date.

Apparently, this is a known issue. There are quite a few threads on the Xfinity forums with many posters addressing this issue. For instance:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/XG1v4-requires-reboot/td-p/3025141

Doe anyone have a resolution? 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

5 years ago

I can restart the boxes from the iPhone app or the web portal, but it does not restore the signal.  

A system refresh, available once every 24 hours, does not restore the signal either.

The only solution we have found that reliably works is to manually unplug the box and plug it back in - a hard reboot if you will.

As an aside, the HDMI-CEC feature that was once avilable no longer works.

Also, I have noticed that the LED lights on the cable boxed are not going dark after any number of hours unless I manully select power saver now from the remote. (The power save option is ON on both boxes). 

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I had the same issue, reboot  the 4K box every day,  found a solution in another forum.

The problem is the HDMI cable provided by Comcast. You will need to replace it with a HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 After replacing the cable with the one purcased from Amazon the rebooting issue was fixed. 

Snip20190228_1.png

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

This seems to be an issue with the box and samsung TV’s. I recently upgraded from an LG 4K to a much better Samsung qled 4K tv and immediately started having this issue. Never had a problem with the LG

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

5 years ago

I didn’t have the issue for weeks. Then after a power outage, I am back to rebooting daily again.

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for the suggestion; however, I've tried the new cables and they didn't solve the issues here.

I've also tried the suggestion to turn on the "HDMI UHD Color" on the HDMI port connected to the Comcast 4K box and that didn't solve the issue either. According to Samsung, turning this feature on tells the Samsung TV to expect 10-bit color signals from the source.

The issue definitely seems to be related to Samsung 4K TVs and the 4K Comcast box.

I am not sure to tell what software is running on the 4K Comcast box. One version is dated 2/22/19 and another version is 11/12/18. 

We are still having to manually reboot the box every time we want to watch TV.  

The once- daily system refreshes we are able to perform manually do not resolve the issue.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

5 years ago

@vadeltachi wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion; however, I've tried the new cables and they didn't solve the issues here.

I've also tried the suggestion to turn on the "HDMI UHD Color" on the HDMI port connected to the Comcast 4K box and that didn't solve the issue either. According to Samsung, turning this feature on tells the Samsung TV to expect 10-bit color signals from the source.

The issue definitely seems to be related to Samsung 4K TVs and the 4K Comcast box.

I am not sure to tell what software is running on the 4K Comcast box. One version is dated 2/22/19 and another version is 11/12/18. 

We are still having to manually reboot the box every time we want to watch TV.  

The once- daily system refreshes we are able to perform manually do not resolve the issue.

The suggestion was to turn "off" the UHD color on the HDMI port. Was that just a typo. on your post here?

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

5 years ago

@MNtundraRET

I have tried it both ways, on and off, and neither setting makes a difference.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

5 years ago

@huskur wrote:
My rebooting was cleared up by switching HDMI slots to HDMI 1 (best) on my Vizio TV. In HDMI 3 ARC (audio return channel) it would require reboot every day. All I did is was switch cables and a different HDMI slot and it’s fixed. Use the provided Comcast HDMI style 20276

The HDMI ARC port is normally reserved for 5.1 or 7.1 S.S. systems that used ARC. Most UHD televisions are designed to use HDMI 1, or 2 port, for Cable, Satellite, or DVR boxes.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

My rebooting was cleared up by switching HDMI slots to HDMI 1 (best) on my Vizio TV. In HDMI 3 ARC (audio return channel) it would require reboot every day. All I did is was switch cables and a different HDMI slot and it’s fixed. Use the provided Comcast HDMI style 20276

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Though what you say is certainly accurate, they ARC HDMI should be treated equally for use. What I was stating is what worked for me and that not all HDMI cables are created equal.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

5 years ago

@huskur wrote:
Though what you say is certainly accurate, they ARC HDMI should be treated equally for use. What I was stating is what worked for me and that not all HDMI cables are created equal.

Correct; if you are okay with using a digital optical cable for a 5.1 surround sound system. The HDMI Arc port can be used for anything else.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Same problem I had. Look a few posts up on how I was able to remedy.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

When you say your rebooting it what are you rebooting for? I have an issue with the same box where it just shows a black screen it’s like it won’t come out of power save mode. I have power save turned off and just now we shut the tv off for 3 minutes and it did it again I had to unplug the box and plug it back in.

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

5 years ago

In my case, @Steamboat927  it's a "no signal" on the TV from the 4k x1 box.

The power saver doesn't seem to work one way or another as the LED cable box light never goes off when the TV turns off, and the LED light remains on all night no matter what the device power save setting is.  The only way I have been able to power down the cable box is by a voice command "power down," but that still has not resolved the "no signal" issue the next time we turn the TV on.

I read in another forum that the power save feature saves very little energy -- someting on the order of 1.5 watts on the 4k x1 box. When active, power save apparently turns the LED light off and  kills the signal to the HDMI port.  Everything else is still on and running, including the rather noisy hard disk.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/16/pay-tv-dvrs-waste-energy-mislead-consumers/

https://energy.cablelabs.com/comcast/

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/How-much-energy-does-the-X1-set-top-box-use/m-p/1563341#M9542

Not to digress, but why is there a hard disk in a cloud-based DVR?  And if there is a need for local storage, why is it not a solid-state disk?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

5 years ago

Quote:   "Not to digress, but why is there a hard disk in a cloud-based DVR? And if there is a need for local storage, why is it not a solid-state disk?"

Mainly because the DVR was manufactured before "Cloud based services" and has been modified.

Personly; I have been programing since 1979. I don't trust clould based systems to save my data or protect it from hacking. I never use the feature.  For program use it may be okay but you are still trusting another company to not mess up, or get hacked.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here