Community Forum

XG1v4 Jumping to 4k Resolution

Highlighted
Problem Solver

XG1v4 Jumping to 4k Resolution

Starting last night, my box keeps going to 4k resolution. I have a 4k TV, but use an HDMI Extender that does not. As a result, it keeps knocking my picture out.

If it is not on 1080p in device settings on the box then my picture is gone.

Why is the box suddenly changing my video settings in the box?

Never had this issue for 2 years with this box.

Tek
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: XG1v4 Jumping to 4k Resolution

Same exact thing except my TV still works most of the time. Best fix, get rid of the Comcast 4k box, especially if they are charging you extra. Stay with their older HD box and get Chromecast or Roku for 4k. Their 4k boxes are junk. I had to turn off my true color / active matrix / each TV manufacturer calls it something different but same underlying technology. Dozens of people across numerous forums and it was a user that accidentally found the workaround. Plus the colors are not correct with Xfinity 4k, especially with reds shading to orange more noticably than any and that occurs anytime it's set to 4k, even if picture is only HD. And then there was the update that broke all wired boxes to other TVs and them not having the Xi4 / Xi6 boxes at sufficient quantities yet to get service back to other TVs. Like I said, dump the 4k box. Look around the Xfinity forums, look at all the issues, and look forward to the next rate increase they already announced for late in 2020 back in February.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

I just signed up for YouTube TV. Keeping internet only. 20 years and I have had it with them. I having other issues, but this was the icing on the cake.

Tek
Highlighted
Problem Solver

Software Update Auto Selects Best Available Resolution

FYI. My other thread on this was locked for some reason with no resolution.  However, this week they updated the boxes to automatically select the best video resolution setting available.

This is an issue if your box thinks your TV is 4k and it is not for example. Advanced repair contacted me and there is now a setting in General Settings to lock the resolution.  

They had many calls on it. It was causing my picture to blank out everytime turned the TV off and on.

If you prefer a certain resolution then you should turn this to on. 

Tek
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Software Update Auto Selects Best Available Resolution

Your previous thread, was marked solved and usually close with nothing new to add

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Problem Solver

It was locked before it was marked solved. None the less, this is an issue for older TVs or people using hdmi to dvi or hdmi extenders. 

Tek
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Sounds like the boxes may have done an HDCP update

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Administrator

@Tek 

Thank you for posting your questions here in the Xfinity Forum. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We recommend modifying the resolution on your Xfinity television box. You can do so by pressing the following button sequence on your Xfinity television remote, “exit, exit, exit, 720”. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

My X1 is doing the exact opposite. I have a 4K TV, and 4K audio video receiver, and have set the X1 video output to 4K best available.

Every day it reverts to 1080p and I have to change the X1 video output to 4K, again.

The X1 software/ firmware is very buggy. All you have to do is look at these forums to see the problems.

Highlighted
Expert

@KenH1 wrote:

My X1 is doing the exact opposite. I have a 4K TV, and 4K audio video receiver, and have set the X1 video output to 4K best available.

Every day it reverts to 1080p and I have to change the X1 video output to 4K, again.

The X1 software/ firmware is very buggy. All you have to do is look at these forums to see the problems.

To what is the HDMI cable from the set top box connected? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
New Poster

I have the same problem with 4K resetting down to 1080p nightly. In my case the xfinity box connects directly to my 4K Denon AVR receiver. All my cables are certified for 8k end to end. Denon and LG 4K HDR TV are capable and certified for 4K HDR10 picture. I have no problems after manually setting best available 4K each day.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue as well. Especially after I visit either YouTube via the TV's APPS or the Comcast YT APP it often downgrades to 720p or 1080p and I have to constantly go into settings and change back to 2160p best available.

I called Comcast but they just did standard screen read protocols which was ineffective.

There is no available "Lock resolution" option. For years this was a non issue so either the box is getting defective or their updates did it.

With the covid Chinese virus plague, it can take hours to get to a live agent sadly, so most just live with it.  I may try to have the box swapped out as I think my local xfinity store re-opened in a limited way.

Highlighted
Contributor

I'm having the same problem as well.

I have a 4K TV with a 4K receiver and all the appropriate HDMI cables.

Every single time I turn off my system and turn it back on again, the X1 box reverts back to standard 1080p HD. It won't "stick" the 4K UHD (Best Available) setting. I have to manually switch it every time, even if the system is only powered off for a second.

This is a recent issue (started around 6 or 8 weeks ago), so I'm guessing it's buggy firmware.

Highlighted
Expert

@Dahmenator wrote:

Every single time I turn off my system and turn it back on again, the X1 box reverts back to standard 1080p HD. It won't "stick" the 4K UHD (Best Available) setting. I have to manually switch it every time, even if the system is only powered off for a second.

This is a recent issue (started around 6 or 8 weeks ago), so I'm guessing it's buggy firmware.

is the set top box connected directly to the TV's HDMI1 or HDMI2 (4k designated port)? is your set top box set to 'expert' under resolution?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Dahmenator wrote:

is the set top box connected directly to the TV's HDMI1 or HDMI2 (4k designated port)? is your set top box set to 'expert' under resolution?

@Rustyben,

No. My STB is connedting to my 4K Yamaha receiver which in turn is connecting to the 4K ARC HDMI input on my 4K TV. This is the way I've had it setup for almost two years and has never resulted in this issue until about 6 or 8 weeks ago.

Also, I don't have an "Expert" setting in my STB's Video Display settings. I do have an "Expert" setting or Audio and it wasn't set to that. It was set to "Auto Detect (Dolby 5.1)". I changed it to "Expert" turned off my system, restarted it, and the video resolution still reverted back to standard 1080p HD. 

Highlighted
Expert

@Dahmenator wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Dahmenator wrote:

@Rustyben,

No. My STB is connedting to my 4K Yamaha receiver which in turn is connecting to the 4K ARC HDMI input on my 4K TV. This is the way I've had it setup for almost two years and has never resulted in this issue until about 6 or 8 weeks ago.

Also, I don't have an "Expert" setting in my STB's Video Display settings. I do have an "Expert" setting or Audio and it wasn't set to that. It was set to "Auto Detect (Dolby 5.1)". I changed it to "Expert" turned off my system, restarted it, and the video resolution still reverted back to standard 1080p HD. 

since you have a device between your set top box and the TV (video) there is no way to diagnose why the change is happening. the EDID of the TV is obviously not being seen/recognized at some point and the set top box goes to standby 1080p. Is there some reason you can not connect the set top box directly to HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 (not ARC) on the TV and then feed the audio back to the sound bar via the ARC connector? 

Highlighted
New Poster

Xi6 TV Box wifi 6 cable modem upgrade in hardware needed as DOCSIS got updates for your recent free air native 4k spec ATSC 3.0 more than likely. The Comcast app and website do not have an option for hardware trade-ins as of yet for pick up drop off at mail centers like Amazon and Apple does for upgrading hardware for 4k spec if you're like me wanting to get a new cable box for 4k and wifi 6 for cable internet here when you least/rent the equipment from them/Comcast, let alone upgrading it from the cable box options menu itself to contact Comcast for a package/hardware upgrade via from the cable tv box itself if your tv can handle 4k in youtube app on the smart tv android side of things without needing the cable tv box to watch 4k videos here as I've done with my old 2016 Sony Bravia 4k tv set. 

My hunch is they are waiting on the tv and mobile makers to adopt it before they make an upgrade to the hardware here with the recent advances in native cameras shooting live sports events at 4k right now. Also with wireless internet now at terahertz speeds like Starlink can do soon thereby eliminating the need for cable wires completely in the future in the 2030s for 8k native live satellite mobile internet/cable tv like 2001 space odyssey shot in 70 mm film.

Highlighted
Contributor

For what it's worth, I have the same issue with my new XG1v4 box. I have to reset it daily to get 4K or be careful not to turn it off at night. Annoying.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Have you gotten any answers to correct this issue? Would love to hear.

Ed

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Is yours increasing or decreasing resolution?

If it is increasing to 4k from a lower setting you can go into device settings and shut off default to best resolution.

Tek
Highlighted
Contributor

It will say 1080p is the best resolution possible. I have to reboot everything for 4K to be an option. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have been having the same issue for a couple of months now.  The settings will drop from "Best Available" 4k 2160p to 1080p almost daily.  I have to go in and manually change the setting to 2160p.  I have not called in since I did not want to spend an hour or two on this.  I am assuming no resolution for this issue yet? thx.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Just had texting time with them. They say there will be a firmware update soon. How soon, who nows. Me, it was a terrible design flaw. You would think that people that are getting this set top box have nice TVs and surround sound systems. They set it up just for horrible tv sound. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Like others here, my X1 HDMI goes into the Yamaha 4K a/v receiver, and the Yamaha passes whatever it gets to the LG 4K display.

I use the Yamaha for 4 different 4K inputs, 2 PC, 1 TiVo, and the X1, and can set the audio and video for each one separately. If I use ARC, I'm limited to only one audio video setting for the Yamaha.

Highlighted
Expert

@KenH1 wrote:

Like others here, my X1 HDMI goes into the Yamaha 4K a/v receiver, and the Yamaha passes whatever it gets to the LG 4K display.

I use the Yamaha for 4 different 4K inputs, 2 PC, 1 TiVo, and the X1, and can set the audio and video for each one separately. If I use ARC, I'm limited to only one audio video setting for the Yamaha.

the set top box responds to the EDID passed to it via the device to which it is connected. The design would be that the receiver passes the sink's (TV) display EDID to the set top box. you said it changes to 4k what do you want the set top box to do (give an example)?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

What it does, when tv is turned off the set top box  reverts back to best resolutution 1080i and remains that way when tv is turned back on. Also when you go to the resolution app screen to set box back to 4K resolution it shows no tv connected. When set top box is connected directly to tv this issue is gone and on app screen for 4K shows the tv and 4K remains after tuning tv off then back on.

Highlighted
Expert

@89741 wrote:

What it does, when tv is turned off the set top box  reverts back to best resolutution 1080i and remains that way when tv is turned back on. Also when you go to the resolution app screen to set box back to 4K resolution it shows no tv connected. When set top box is connected directly to tv this issue is gone and on app screen for 4K shows the tv and 4K remains after tuning tv off then back on.

generally 4k connects to the TV and the ARC returns the audio to the receiver/sound bar via ARC connection. EID handling is tricky and you'd never want 1080i (1080P ok). then the TV 'disappears' the set top box is probably seeing a null EDID and switches to backup 1080i.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Is there a way to fix this now or do I have to wait for a update from comcast? I have tried with ARC on and off that did not help.

Thanks for your help Everett

Highlighted
Expert

@89741 wrote:

Is there a way to fix this now or do I have to wait for a update from comcast? I have tried with ARC on and off that did not help.

Thanks for your help Everett

currently (technology) you must connect the set top box to the TV on HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 (a 4k HDMI input). Then 'return' the audio from the TV via the ARC connector to the sound bar/receiver. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Has anyone had a resolution to this?  I don't see why running a HDMI cable direct to the TV and then a HDMI cable to the receiver and use ARC for the audio is the solution?  Running everything through the receiver had worked well up until a couple of months ago.  My box is still jumping from 4k to 1080p pretty much every day and I have to manually change it back.  Despite having "best picture available" enabled.

Highlighted
New Poster

I have a 4K TV with a 4K Yamaha receiver and all the appropriate HDMI cables.

Every single time I turn off my system and turn it back on again, the X1 box reverts back to standard 1080p HD. It won't stay on the 4K UHD (Best Available) setting. I have to manually switch it every time, even if the system is only powered off for a second. 

This is a recent issue (started around 6 or 8 weeks ago). 

Highlighted
New Poster

Same issue here using a Denon avr and Epson 4K projector. Even when using the pass-through seething on the denon receiver when powered off, the xfinity box resets the video resolution to 480p and I have to reset the resolution back to 4K manually in the xfinity display settings. Super annoying. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I wanted to follow up on this.  I had to dismantle my home system for new room paint so I thought I would test running HDMI to port 2 on my Vizio M658 and using HDMI port 1 back to the receiver and use the ARC feature for audio and after two days of testing that appears to have fixed the video problem.   Still not sure what happened that the orginal configuration of running HDMI from the XG1v4 to my Yamaha receiver and then using port 1 to the TV stopped working properly.  It had worked for well over a year.  Not sure about the rest of you but it is a hassle to pull everything out to make this change.

Highlighted
Contributor

This issue has been resolved for me presumably by a Comcast software/firmware update. No need for me to switch the way my cables are routed.

I noticed the change yesterday and verified today that it's still holding. Yesterday, upon turning on my entertainment system, I changed the video setting to 4K and told the system to remember the setting. Then I turned everything off and back on again and the 4K setting was holding.

Today I just turned on my entertainment system again and it remembered the 4K setting. No need to switch it.

Highlighted
Contributor

I spoke too soon. It's now reverting back to 1080p60 HD. I went almost two days without having to switch it back to 4K.

Highlighted
New Poster

I found that by disabling the ARC functionality to my projector may have resolved this issue. Since I made this change to the input assigned to the Xfinity box, I have not had to reset the resolution since. This may not be helpful to those that use ARC with TV's but in the case of my projector, it was an unneeded feature.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Found this forum... i too am experiencing my XG1 switching from 4k to 1080p. I just upgraded my tv to a new Sony 4k XBR and have the hdmi cable from the box to my Denon receiver and out to the ARC HDMi port on the new Sony. I do have the preferred resolution set to on but continue to have to check if the resolution has switched. Is their a firmware fix coming from Comcast ? I need to keep the HDMI connecting to the ARC port for online apps. Thanks, MB.

Highlighted
New Poster

I spoke too soon like another before me in this thread. The change I made to the ARC setting did appear to extend the time before resetting back to a lower resolution but it did revert nonetheless and I’m back to square one as well. It looks like a receiver update (cable box or media receiver) will be needed to fix it long term.
Highlighted
Expert

@DrBranca wrote:
I spoke too soon like another before me in this thread. The change I made to the ARC setting did appear to extend the time before resetting back to a lower resolution but it did revert nonetheless and I’m back to square one as well. It looks like a receiver update (cable box or media receiver) will be needed to fix it long term.

is your set top box hdmi connected directly to the TV's HDMI1 or HDMI2? is your set top box power saver setting set to off? is your set top box's CEC option set to off?

Highlighted
New Poster

My setup mentioned above is Xfinity cable box connected to Denon AVR to 4K projector. All power-saving features on all devices have been disabled, end to end. CEC is also off and I've disabled ARC on the Denon AVR input. Disabling ARC seems to have prolonged the time it retains the 4K setting on the cable box before it resets back to 480p mode, but only by a day or two.

I've also experimented with the passthrough setting on the AVR. It appears as if there is some form of communication taking place between the AVR and cable box that confuses the cable box and causes it to reset the video setting back to 480p.

Highlighted
Expert

@DrBranca wrote:

My setup mentioned above is Xfinity cable box connected to Denon AVR to 4K projector. All power-saving features on all devices have been disabled, end to end. CEC is also off and I've disabled ARC on the Denon AVR input. Disabling ARC seems to have prolonged the time it retains the 4K setting on the cable box before it resets back to 480p mode, but only by a day or two.

I've also experimented with the passthrough setting on the AVR. It appears as if there is some form of communication taking place between the AVR and cable box that confuses the cable box and causes it to reset the video setting back to 480p.

the HDMI connected devices 'read' an electronic ID of the device to which they are connected (if powered on). if not powered on or power is removed, unplanned settings can go into effect (since no ID is being received). Is it possible to connect the HDMI out on the set top box directly to the projector?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

hi... my power saver setting on the c able box was already set to off but HDMI CEC was not. I turned it off  and so far the resolution has not changed from 4k...will keep "watching" ...thanks.  😉

Highlighted
New Poster

I have the same issue as several on this thread. Yamaha receiver between LG 4K HDR TV and Xfinity XG1v4. It resets itself to 1080p60 every time the power is turned off. I had "resolved" this issue previously by connecting the STB directly to the LG TV which kept it on 4K HDR, but as of this morning all I get is "digital snow" when it's plugged in directly to the TV. I suspect there was an HDCP update and it doesn't like the cable I'm using or something else.  So now it's hooked directly through the Yamaha again and we're back to the resolution reset issue.

Hey Comcast, please release some firmware where we can actually lock the resoution or make it so the boxes don't so aggressively fall back to 1080p.

Highlighted
Contributor

This seems to be a common problem for many. It seems related to our home set ups. All that being said, why can't Xfinity simply provide the ability to lock in 4K resolution?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Same problem...I just keep checking the resolution and have had to reset it back to 4K a few times this week.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

sending an update. I've been havig another issue recently where my Denon AVR has been turning on and off by itself after i have shut off the tv etc.  I searched thru some forums and shut off some settings on the Denon...under the Video settings I shutoff the HDMI Pass Through and HDMI Control.

Just so you know im using my Xfinity XR-15 remote to power on everything. With these settings shut off i now hve to point theremote at the Denon and it sends CEC signal to power on the Sony TV and also takes the XG1v4 out of standby ( you can also leave this setting off and it stills works fine). 

The best part of this is the 2160p60 4K UHD setting is staying set on and not changing to 1080p.

It was changing recently as i powered the units off and on but it is staying on.

So try changing the settings on your Denon or AVR for HDMI Pass Through and HDMI Controll to OFF and see it will work for you. I will update if anything changes. Hope it works for ya.

Highlighted
Contributor

@mfbono 

Your suggestion worked for me for about four or five days. Buuuuuuuuut … I just turned on my system today and had to manually switch it back to 4K. I set it back to 4K and will monitor it to see how long it "sticks". 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It has been working fine for me too until earlier today, something was out of sync. When I powered on the receiver the tv didn’t power on and when I got it to come on the cable box settings were changed to 1080p.

I manually set the resolution back to 2160 4K. I shut off the HDMI setting n the cable box that put it in standby.
Will continue to watch too.
Highlighted
Contributor

@mfbono

I had the same problem. My TV didn't turn on so at the same time as my receiver so I had to turn it on separtely and found my X1 box had reverted back to 1080p.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Good afternoon all. Thank you all for your input on this. For those that are still experiencing this issue with the resolution defaulting back to a different preference, please confirm your model of 4K cable box that is being used. Thanks!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.