Community Forum

XG1v4 Jumping to 4k Resolution

Highlighted
Problem Solver

XG1v4 Jumping to 4k Resolution

Starting last night, my box keeps going to 4k resolution. I have a 4k TV, but use an HDMI Extender that does not. As a result, it keeps knocking my picture out.

If it is not on 1080p in device settings on the box then my picture is gone.

Why is the box suddenly changing my video settings in the box?

Never had this issue for 2 years with this box.

Tek
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: XG1v4 Jumping to 4k Resolution

Same exact thing except my TV still works most of the time. Best fix, get rid of the Comcast 4k box, especially if they are charging you extra. Stay with their older HD box and get Chromecast or Roku for 4k. Their 4k boxes are junk. I had to turn off my true color / active matrix / each TV manufacturer calls it something different but same underlying technology. Dozens of people across numerous forums and it was a user that accidentally found the workaround. Plus the colors are not correct with Xfinity 4k, especially with reds shading to orange more noticably than any and that occurs anytime it's set to 4k, even if picture is only HD. And then there was the update that broke all wired boxes to other TVs and them not having the Xi4 / Xi6 boxes at sufficient quantities yet to get service back to other TVs. Like I said, dump the 4k box. Look around the Xfinity forums, look at all the issues, and look forward to the next rate increase they already announced for late in 2020 back in February.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

I just signed up for YouTube TV. Keeping internet only. 20 years and I have had it with them. I having other issues, but this was the icing on the cake.

Tek
Highlighted
Problem Solver

Software Update Auto Selects Best Available Resolution

FYI. My other thread on this was locked for some reason with no resolution.  However, this week they updated the boxes to automatically select the best video resolution setting available.

This is an issue if your box thinks your TV is 4k and it is not for example. Advanced repair contacted me and there is now a setting in General Settings to lock the resolution.  

They had many calls on it. It was causing my picture to blank out everytime turned the TV off and on.

If you prefer a certain resolution then you should turn this to on. 

Tek
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Software Update Auto Selects Best Available Resolution

Your previous thread, was marked solved and usually close with nothing new to add

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Problem Solver

It was locked before it was marked solved. None the less, this is an issue for older TVs or people using hdmi to dvi or hdmi extenders. 

Tek
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Sounds like the boxes may have done an HDCP update

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Administrator

@Tek 

Thank you for posting your questions here in the Xfinity Forum. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We recommend modifying the resolution on your Xfinity television box. You can do so by pressing the following button sequence on your Xfinity television remote, “exit, exit, exit, 720”. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!