mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Great to hear that.  In our case, for awhile, the DVR box was actually ok (i.e., TV worked fine) but the issue shifted to our two other boxes with two different issues every morning.  Xfninity was out a few times . . . today they changed the DVR box to a different one.  We'll see what happends after the next update tonight.  

I know the box changes have not worked before (this is our 3rd or 4th) but maybe they have done something since we were OK at the main box for the past couple of weeks.

I'll write back in a few days to update everyone.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Same problem here - black screen with no audio or video every few days. Very annoying and I've found only power cycle fixes. I will try the TV HDMI input change next time it happens . My equipment: XG1-v4-A, Denon AVR-X4400W Receiver, Sony XBR940D 75", Comcast 4K high speed HDMI cable from X1 to AVR; 4k high speed cable using ARC from TV to AVR. 

Hoping a fix comes soon otherwise I am swapping this out to older box as there really is no benefit to the 4k box vs 1080p. Netflix is way better on the Android  Sony TV app with Atmos support and a cleaner picture.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Back yesterday to black screen on DVR but other TVs ok. Today, all ok. Tech coming again tomorrow. If no solution, going to switch back to. FIOS who now has 4K box and voice remote. They pay switching costs. But I need Comcast to take back X1 Pods.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

Good News.  SO FAR  I have not had the problem since I tried your suggestio to turn off the UHD setting to the HDMI port that the  X1 box is connected to.    It has been 10 days since I changed the setting and have not experienced the black screen issue. 

Prior to that I had to restart the X1 every 2/3 days to get a picture on the TV.  

Thank you for your suggestion.   I have been having this problem for months and tried everything people on this forum suggested.   Nothing worked till you mentioned this.

Hopefully it stays like this.

@rlee131 wrote:

@jmg1951 wrote:
I found 2 solutions to this problem.
1)On your Xfinity remote go to settings, device settings,power preference, and turn your power saver ON. Box will go to sleep at night but when you turn your tv on in the am it will turn the box on also. When both the box and tv turn on together the video will connect with no problem.
2) If you have a Samsung tv or a tv with the HDMI UHD COLOR setting turn it off for the HDMI cable box input. Per Samsung this setting must be on for any type of gaming because it increases the refresh rate but for a cable box with 4K it has no effect. I have mine turned off and it’s been working every morning for the last week and the 4K does come thru on Netflix.

Thanks for your suggestions.  #1 That’s how mine is currently set.  

#2 I’ve never tried that.  I just changed and will see what happens.  I’ll let you know. I sure hope that works. 

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

That’s what I did on my LG once the UHD setting was turned off it works with the 4K setting for regular TV. If I switch to Netflix via X1 box for an UHD movie, the tv will automatically switch to UHD on. However when I switch back to regular tv, it will lose signal and go black. I then have to manually turn off UHD on the tv for it to work. It looks like a compatibility issue since Comcast doesn’t offer any 4K programs for regular tv. My guess is the tv is looking for the signal that doesn’t exist yet and just gives up.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Techs came out today. They set box to power down when TV is off. They were convinced this will work with my Samsung TV. BTW, the UHD setting to the HDMI has been off. I’ll write again once I see if this works.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

Letting the DVR box go into sleep mode worked for me even though I'm using the UHD Color off on my TV. When youn turn the tv on in the morning the box should wake up also as long as your remote is programed correctly to tun the tv and box at the same time. When the box and tv turn on together they both are looking for a video signal at the same time and connect with no problem.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

5 years ago

@BrianHCM1 wrote:
That’s what I did on my LG once the UHD setting was turned off it works with the 4K setting for regular TV. If I switch to Netflix via X1 box for an UHD movie, the tv will automatically switch to UHD on. However when I switch back to regular tv, it will lose signal and go black. I then have to manually turn off UHD on the tv for it to work. It looks like a compatibility issue since Comcast doesn’t offer any 4K programs for regular tv. My guess is the tv is looking for the signal that doesn’t exist yet and just gives up.

On my 2015 3D UHD Samsung TV the UHD color setting can be set "on" or "off" for each individual HDMI port. For IPV (Internet broadband) UHD color setting is always "on" as it should be.   Check your LG manual to set if your's works that way. My tv never switches them from where I set them.

A possible exception might be if your television just received a "Update", or if you selected a "Reset to factory default settings.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

If I switch the UHD Color onnor off I also get a black screen , Comcast is working on the problem because I heard from them last week.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

Don't give up on Comcast yet, they have been working on the problem. Last week Comcast called me on a update they wanted to send to my box to see if there were any changes. Sorry to say the updated did not correct the condition but at least their working on solutions. 

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

Glad to hear it works for you too! Mine has been working 3 weeks without a problem.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

Amazing that you have been able to get Comcast to say they are working on it. In my area I gave had three technicians out to my house, 4 telephone conversations with support (two times with supervisors I requested to speak to) replaced the X1 box twice, and one visit to the Xfinity store  EVERYONE says they have no knowledge of the problem and it must be my TV. 

Anyway your suggestion to turn off UHD to the HDMI port WORKED so all is good now

one issue that has shown up is that even though the X1 is set to power saver every couple of days in the morning before turning the system on the light on the X1 is already on so it did not turn off since I last shut down the TV ( 14 hours 

not worried about because your fix took care of the HANDSHAKE issue Would love to connect your Comcast people with those supporting this area 

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

My tech said light won’t go off but box goes to sleep. Today I was good but we’ll see tomorrow.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

Right the light on the box doesn’t go off . Glad it’s working for you so far.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

Acturally the light on my box in power saving mode does go off after a couple of hours after the tv is turned off.   Then in the morning it does not go on till I hit the remote turning on the box, Sound and TV.   This happend all the time until I change the HDMI setting that fixed the handshake.   Now when I get up in the morning about 50% of the time the X1 box light is on unlike previously when the the was not on till I hit the remote.  

Not a big deal, dont really care about the power saving mode its just that  for some reason it does not function as it did befor

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here