Community Forum

X1 Technical Issues

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Technical Issues

I received my x1 yesterday.  could not activate.  called xfinity.  after 4 reps they said call for tech (2 day wait). I unplugged and reinstalled old dvr1.   this morning I decided to call again.  it only took a few minutes and my x1 was running. sometimes it is just a matter of who you talk to.  it was something on how the account was set up she said...  working like a top...

New Poster

ok i just tryed to power cycle again and now i get a blue screen with the word CASt in the box where the time would be. and now it's completely off.

Expert

@familyhome4 wrote:

ok i just tryed to power cycle again and now i get a blue screen with the word CASt in the box where the time would be. and now it's completely off.

did you call the dedicated x1 support center at 877-896-8678? CA = cable card St is a step in the authentication process. Cablecard is the security system of current set top boxes.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

x1 platform rdk-03003 "signal connection problem"

Will someone please explain to me how after Comcast did a scheduled maintenance in my area that now I have a signal connection problem with my X1 platform...???? My service worked just fine until 5am this morning when a "scheduled outage" happened. After 2 hours my phone and internet started to work. After speaking with 3 separate customer service reps, they finally determined I had a signal connection problem. NO ONE at Comcast is able to figure out why or how... I NEED ANSWERS NOW. They won't send anyone out until Friday. I am appalled at the lack of compassion and knowledge of Comcast employees.

HOW DOES A SIGNAL CONNECTION PROBLEM OCCUR? 

Expert

Re: x1 platform rdk-03003 "signal connection problem"

@lltackett wrote:

Will someone please explain to me how after Comcast did a scheduled maintenance in my area that now I have a signal connection problem with my X1 platform...???? My service worked just fine until 5am this morning when a "scheduled outage" happened. After 2 hours my phone and internet started to work. After speaking with 3 separate customer service reps, they finally determined I had a signal connection problem. NO ONE at Comcast is able to figure out why or how... I NEED ANSWERS NOW. They won't send anyone out until Friday. I am appalled at the lack of compassion and knowledge of Comcast employees.

HOW DOES A SIGNAL CONNECTION PROBLEM OCCUR? 

still have internet (from comcast) working? I thought that 03003 = no cable at all (like unconnected to the home).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi

Thanks for contacting us via the forums.

I just reviewed your account, i did see that the main box is offline and not getting any signal to it. I tried to check if there were any earlier appointments but Friday is the earliest. With the stb being offline there is hardly anything we can send to the box in regards to signals.

You probably have already tried this but while we wait for the tech you can try to unscrew the coaxial cable from the stb and the splitter or wall and reconnect it to see if it will get the stb back online.

Thanks

Joseph

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I have a connection problem as well and have a house of prospect college students who need to finalize application. The message I keep getting is "outage in your area". This too much of an often occurrence. I run a business and do NEED Internet for my affairs..: What is causing the outrage? It's 4:55 PM and i and still not able to get into the Internet. I need service ASAP!!!!
New Poster

I'm having this same exact problem. I tried troubleshooting, I turned my box off and on multiple times, unplugged it and tried to reset it to no avail.
Frequent Visitor

I called Comcast regarding  my remote suddenly  not  linking to my Tv .I  could not change channels, select on demand, etc.

I was on the phone with some X1 "Tech Support guy, who obviously did not know  how to fix the problem. Besides asking  questions such as  "Is it Plugged in ?" (of course it was plugged in I am watching a channel that cannot be changed)  Is your cable (HDMI) cable Plugged in ? (Of course.. again.. I am watching a frozen  channel.) "Can you unplug the   Box, and  plug it back in?"  (I told him 3 times I had done that, and problem not solved.)  He sends a "refresh signal" Nothing happens. I tell him that the problem in my opinion is the  lack of communication between the rmote and the X-1, and the TV.... He ignores me.  Tells me  he cannot fix the problem and  that I will get a call from  Tech support between 9am and noon the next day. He hangs up.

My 12 year old then  tells me that  I need to hold down the "Setup" button on the remote, and that when the screen shows  the code, to enter it on my remote. I do this and.... IT WORKS!!.

I do not get any calls from Comcast tech support until 3 PM the next day... Not between 9 am and noon.

Cannot wait  to switch to AT&T or  until Verizon FIOS arrives in our community.  No wonder Comast  is rated at the bottom of the  Cable providers in Consumer reports.

Tags (2)
Official Employee

@mnicoleau wrote:
I have a connection problem as well and have a house of prospect college students who need to finalize application. The message I keep getting is "outage in your area". This too much of an often occurrence. I run a business and do NEED Internet for my affairs..: What is causing the outrage? It's 4:55 PM and i and still not able to get into the Internet. I need service ASAP!!!!

Hi mnicoleau

Thanks for contacting us via the forums.

I just reviewed your account and did see an outage posted. The  Estimated time of repair is around 8:14PM. You can check back around the evening to see if that is still the case. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks

Joseph

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@alykat4592 wrote:
I'm having this same exact problem. I tried troubleshooting, I turned my box off and on multiple times, unplugged it and tried to reset it to no avail.

Hi @alykat4592

I reviewed your account and i can see there are no signals coming to any of your boxes. I did see that there is a maintenance work order set up to have the outside lines fixed. i do apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks

Joseph

Expert

@Adsong wrote:

I called Comcast regarding  my remote suddenly  not  linking to my Tv .I  could not change channels, select on demand, etc.

I was on the phone with some X1 "Tech Support guy, who obviously did not know  how to fix the problem. Besides asking  questions such as  "Is it Plugged in ?" (of course it was plugged in I am watching a channel that cannot be changed)  Is your cable (HDMI) cable Plugged in ? (Of course.. again.. I am watching a frozen  channel.) "Can you unplug the   Box, and  plug it back in?"  (I told him 3 times I had done that, and problem not solved.)  He sends a "refresh signal" Nothing happens. I tell him that the problem in my opinion is the  lack of communication between the rmote and the X-1, and the TV.... He ignores me.  Tells me  he cannot fix the problem and  that I will get a call from  Tech support between 9am and noon the next day. He hangs up.

My 12 year old then  tells me that  I need to hold down the "Setup" button on the remote, and that when the screen shows  the code, to enter it on my remote. I do this and.... IT WORKS!!.

I do not get any calls from Comcast tech support until 3 PM the next day... Not between 9 am and noon.

Cannot wait  to switch to AT&T or  until Verizon FIOS arrives in our community.  No wonder Comast  is rated at the bottom of the  Cable providers in Consumer reports.

what your son did is set your remote to RF (radio frequency) also sometimes called point anywhere. If not set to RF then remote uses IR (infrared) often called line-of-sight (have to aim the emitter end of the remote toward the front of the X1 equipment. An alternative is to use the xFinity X1 remote smartphone app. Either way (RF/IF and smartphone app) the command goes to comcast and back to your set top box to carry out the requested function. What you describe as proven by changing to RF fixed it, is that your X1 set top box couild not 'see' the signal from your remote. It is great that your son fixed it for you.

Frequent Visitor

Is it not ridiculous that after pointing out the Non-Linkage  problem between the remote as the probable problem, that the  "Technician" was not aware of this simple fix??. A sad situation when tech support did know  or  tried this fix>

Here's another one ghat just occurred:

This is the 6th time in 3 months that I am having problems with Comcast Cable and Internet service, and issues with Comcast technical support.
For the past week, our TV picture had been pixilating, and then all channels freezing. After calling comcast, and being transfered to 3 diffeent support area (1 was for Cable problems, the other for the Cable Box Problem, and the third for the "X-1 Support department" to try and correct the problem. Nothing was resolved. I was told It was  definitely my cable box, and that I would need to make an appointment for a technician to come to my home and  swap boxes.  

The day the  technician was to arrive, everyone's Cable service in our community of 82 homes began to pixilate, and picture freezing. I called Comcast and they told me it  was a  system failure in my area.  that it would be 5 hours before the problem was resolved. 6 hours later, it was resolved. (This included my own service... So it was NOT My box, it was the deterioration of Comcast's signal )

Contributor

call the fcc

Frequent Visitor

We called the FCC.

Over seven times.Apparently, not enough  people complaning. 

New Poster

Oh My Gosh I am so fed up with this. I have woken up 3 out of 5 morning this week to no TV service. I have literally been on hold for 25 minutes now waiting for help. I am soooo close to calling Direct TV. It may be a tad more expensive but we NEVER had these problems with our service, or a lack of customer service. My code this morning is XRE 00088.... I had unplugged, held the power button down, it says restart now but does nothing when I press ok...very disappointed. About to do a corporate contact search. Anyone have this info??

Expert

@kimba72 wrote:

Oh My Gosh I am so fed up with this. I have woken up 3 out of 5 morning this week to no TV service. I have literally been on hold for 25 minutes now waiting for help. I am soooo close to calling Direct TV. It may be a tad more expensive but we NEVER had these problems with our service, or a lack of customer service. My code this morning is XRE 00088.... I had unplugged, held the power button down, it says restart now but does nothing when I press ok...very disappointed. About to do a corporate contact search. Anyone have this info??

Send an email to:

we_can_help@comcast.com

Include all of your information, full name, service address, phone numbers where you can be reached easily, as well as the phone number associated with your account, your account number, and details about all the issues you have been having. Also include a link to this post.

New Poster

Re: error RDK-03003

I had the same problem...here's how I fixed it: The reason I got this code was because the box that is connected to the coax cable that comes into the house was unplugged. Find where the cable comes into your house (mine is in the basement)...you'll see it connected to some kind of splitter, which also has a power cable connected to it. Turns out mine was unplugged...I plugged it back in and voila! It worked! Keep in mind I am NOT referring to your actrual cable box...I'm referring to the splitter that is located wherever the cable is coming into your home. Good luck. 

Frequent Visitor

X1 Companion box will not activate - flashing lights on front of box

Has anyone had issues with activating an X1 companion cable box? I have (3) X1 boxes: 1 main DVR and 2 companions. I have 1 companion box that I haven't been able to get working.

I've tried all the basic troubleshooting with the jokers at Comcast tech support (tier 1). All the basics are covered: no coax issues, HDMI issues. The other boxes work on the outlet so I know I have adequate signal. I've also replaced the box in question with a new box and the new box is duplicating the same issue.

When I power on the box I get "XFINITY" in red letters on the TV for about 3 seconds. It goes to either a black or gray screen. The lights on the box (model RNG 150N) light up in sequence from: Remote to Data to Record. The box is unresponsive and I have to unplug it. If I power it back up the same cycle continues.

I've spent 8 hours on the phone with tech support...nuff said.

Any insight?
Official Employee

Re: X1 Companion box will not activate - flashing lights on front of box

The other boxes work on the outlet so I know I have adequate signal. I've also replaced the box in question with a new box and the new box is duplicating the same issue.

What happens when you put the new box in a location that has one already ( opposite of what you tried)

Frequent Visitor

It goes through the same sequence regardless of which of the 3 outlets in the house I use. I've confirmed all 3 outlets work with my other 2 boxes.
Expert

@spar10s93 wrote:
It goes through the same sequence regardless of which of the 3 outlets in the house I use. I've confirmed all 3 outlets work with my other 2 boxes.

for giggles and grins after you are sure box is 'up' and running hit exit exit exit 480 (on the remote) see if box resolution in 480 works. also if that doesn't work does a coax patch cord from box to tv give you any image/box message ?

Problem Solver

@spar10s93 wrote:
Has anyone had issues with activating an X1 companion cable box? I have (3) X1 boxes: 1 main DVR and 2 companions. I have 1 companion box that I haven't been able to get working.

I've tried all the basic troubleshooting with the jokers at Comcast tech support (tier 1). All the basics are covered: no coax issues, HDMI issues. The other boxes work on the outlet so I know I have adequate signal. I've also replaced the box in question with a new box and the new box is duplicating the same issue.

When I power on the box I get "XFINITY" in red letters on the TV for about 3 seconds. It goes to either a black or gray screen. The lights on the box (model RNG 150N) light up in sequence from: Remote to Data to Record. The box is unresponsive and I have to unplug it. If I power it back up the same cycle continues.

I've spent 8 hours on the phone with tech support...nuff said.

Any insight?

Hi.  Only two boxes are active on your account.  Please send me the Serial Number of the box thats giving you problems.  It should start with MA

Brandon

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Hmm based off some troubleshooting, I bet its the one ending in 151.  Please confirm.

Brandon

Frequent Visitor

MA1433EGD151
Problem Solver

@spar10s93 wrote:
MA1433EGD151

Thank you.  It looks like that box did not go through a factory scrub when the last customer returned it.  We'll need to have a tech bring you a new box.

I will make sure you incur no charge on this exchange.  Let me know if you would like me to set this up for you

Brandon

Frequent Visitor

Please send a new box. They charged me shipping for the 2nd box so I'd appreciate a credit for that as well.
Gold Problem Solver

I am tryin not to be overly cynical here but considering all the problems X1 has, now we need to worry about returned/recycled X1 boxes going back into the field and not being properly prepared for reuse?

@ComcastBrandon wrote:

@spar10s93 wrote:
MA1433EGD151

Thank you.  It looks like that box did not go through a factory scrub when the last customer returned it.  We'll need to have a tech bring you a new box.

I will make sure you incur no charge on this exchange.  Let me know if you would like me to set this up for you

Brandon

Problem Solver

@spar10s93 wrote:
Please send a new box. They charged me shipping for the 2nd box so I'd appreciate a credit for that as well.

I can mail you one, or send a tech.

Which would you like?

Frequent Visitor

Which is faster?
Gold Problem Solver

Have a tech do it. It will be worth any additional wait.

@spar10s93 wrote:
Which is faster?

Frequent Visitor

I am close to the end of my 30 days guarantee period. I'm not sure I'm willing to enter a contract given the nightmare this has been over the past 3 weeks. I don't think there is much value in having someone come into the house to screw on a coax, pull in an HDMI cable and plug it into the wall. I need the box exchanged the quickest way possible...and I already know (of course) that you don't stock the X1 boxes at your service centers.

I would like it delivered no later than Tuesday next week.
Problem Solver

@spar10s93 wrote:
Which is faster?

I can process a next-day delivery that should arrive around Tuesday. 

For the tech, first available is Tuesday morning. 

Your call sir.

Frequent Visitor

Send the tech Tuesday morning. I will be home.
Problem Solver

@spar10s93 wrote:
Send the tech Tuesday morning. I will be home.

Its been scheduled.  Check your Private Messages for details

Brandon

Problem Solver

@spar10s93 wrote:

What day did this credit hit your account?  I'd be happy to reverse it.  Also, how much was the charge

Frequent Visitor

After requesting the first replacement box, I received an email with an invoice: Self Install Kit Shipping and Handling $9.95
Problem Solver

@spar10s93 wrote:
After requesting the first replacement box, I received an email with an invoice: Self Install Kit Shipping and Handling $9.95

Thank you.  I have issued a credit for that charge.  This will be present on your next pay statement.

Brandon

New Poster

I have had x1 for 2 months now. This thing is garbage.
Box NEVER works when I turn on the TV. I want my old box back. I will throw the thing in the garbage in the morning. I have had several service calls so far. Nothing helps. Leaving comcast if you can't fix. Done with you. Very angry!!!

Silver Problem Solver

@joepoison wrote:
I have had x1 for 2 months now. This thing is garbage.
Box NEVER works when I turn on the TV. I want my old box back. I will throw the thing in the garbage in the morning. I have had several service calls so far. Nothing helps. Leaving comcast if you can't fix. Done with you. Very angry!!!

FYI, this is a user-to-user forum.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

you are absolutley right , i have been going on nine months of the and they have credited me over 600.00 dollars but i had to keep them on the phone , they wasted my time , i wasted theres , call the fcc , inform them of the many people on the forum her , then call the states attourney and let them know , after they screwed up my house for 7 months they finally started working on the  lines to my house , the poles all new taps and node upgrades and the system has been better and better over the last 3 weeks but until it works fine for a month or 2 straight they are not off the hook , just search class action lawsuit on the forum and i think they are growing in support for this action , they still are liable for restoring my cable as i had it routed  before they mollested it and they need to upgrade the remotes if not done yet , , i feel youre pain ,as do the thousands of others  is using for guinea pigs , just read the forums which they support but dont read , good luck and keep fighting , print this and show them what others have gone through when they show up at youre door . thanks for adding to the growng voice of the coamcast lab rats they use to develope theyre product since they failed to do it before putting it in our homes , keep voicing your problems ,

New Poster

I forgot to update this thread on my issues.  I was having a black screen in the living room.   Finally got a technician out and the fix was to route the hdmi out straight to the TV instead of through the home theater receiver.   Sound goes to the receiver with a optical cable. 

Wierd that it worked for a week until an update killed compatibility. 

Oh well, it works now and we like the increased features we get. 

Gold Problem Solver

I am not so sure it was an update that caused the problem. Depending upon how old your AV receiver is, the problem could very well be the receiver. AV receivers made in the late 2000s have very fragile HDMI boards and failures are VERY common. My spare AV receiver is a Yamaha 863 that works perfectly except the HDMI board failed.

The technician may have done you a big favor by connecting your system the way he did. X1 boxes are far from perfect when it comes to HDMI but lets make sure we are putting blame in the right place.

@dands18 wrote:

I forgot to update this thread on my issues.  I was having a black screen in the living room.   Finally got a technician out and the fix was to route the hdmi out straight to the TV instead of through the home theater receiver.   Sound goes to the receiver with a optical cable. 

Wierd that it worked for a week until an update killed compatibility. 

Oh well, it works now and we like the increased features we get. 

Frequent Visitor

4-5 days ago I upgraded to the great X1 I have been watching advertised. Now daily have issues with screen freeze, guide freezing blocking my viewing, remote not able to control anything. Reseting last night let me watch the one channel I was watching and nothing else. Could not change channels and remote would not let me do anything. I had a tech come out the third day and replace all the old connectors checked my signal and he left happy with the numbers he was seeing. I am not sure if the thing will be working this morning or not. I am ready to go back to where I was and never see or hear X1 again. What can I do? What should I do? Is direct tv in my future, dish maybe? Or should I just get rid of TV and watch Netflix or the other choices I have? I cant go through this on a daily basis, I'm stressed out bigtime. Help!

Expert

@Gshad wrote:

4-5 days ago I upgraded to the great X1 I have been watching advertised. Now daily have issues with screen freeze, guide freezing blocking my viewing, remote not able to control anything. Reseting last night let me watch the one channel I was watching and nothing else. Could not change channels and remote would not let me do anything. I had a tech come out the third day and replace all the old connectors checked my signal and he left happy with the numbers he was seeing. I am not sure if the thing will be working this morning or not. I am ready to go back to where I was and never see or hear X1 again. What can I do? What should I do? Is direct tv in my future, dish maybe? Or should I just get rid of TV and watch Netflix or the other choices I have? I cant go through this on a daily basis, I'm stressed out bigtime. Help!

Duplicate post in another topic.... X1-OMG

Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Since moving to our new apartment, at least half of our channels pop up with the XRE-00018 error code and says cannot tune. First I rebooted a dozen times. Then double checked all connections. Found the area in the Comcast Labs section that can test signal strength, it says "Good", full bars. 

So we had a technician come out and he said the wiring in our walls has the old RG59 cable and thats why so many channels arent working. It seems to make enough sense but our old building is at lease 15 years older and it definitely had the old wiring in it and we had no problem.

What is strange is that not a single apartment in our new building has the issue besides us. Also our internet was intermittent for a while but seems to have stabilized.

HELP!!

Official Employee

Since moving to our new apartment, at least half of our channels pop up with the XRE-00018 error code and says cannot tune. First I rebooted a dozen times. Then double checked all connections. Found the area in the Comcast Labs section that can test signal strength, it says "Good", full bars.

So we had a technician come out and he said the wiring in our walls has the old RG59 cable and thats why so many channels arent working. It seems to make enough sense but our old building is at lease 15 years older and it definitely had the old wiring in it and we had no problem.

What is strange is that not a single apartment in our new building has the issue besides us. Also our internet was intermittent for a while but seems to have stabilized.

The signal level of good that the box shows is for the modem inside, not the individual frequencies that channels are coming in on. Other than getting a tech out again, check your wall plates for paint ( new paint job before moving in) or old barrel on the wall plate.

Regular Visitor

X1 companion box issue. Just exchanged old box for new but same error happens. Change channels, new channel logo appears with flashing dots below on black screen. And goes no further. No channel picture or sound. Can change channel with remote but only see new logo and same flashing dots. Power down and unplug box for reboot. TV shows "no signal" on screen as it should. HDMI connection. Plug box back in, power up. No signal to TV (Sony EDTV). Reset box with smartphone app. Lights on box flash. No signal to TV. Call to tech support for their refresh. No signal display on TV. After waiting 20-30 minutes, tried unplugging HDMI from back of box, then plugging back into box. Sound and picture pop on TV. Next night, same issue. unplug and refresh (including HDMI) but this is not what I am paying a couple of hudred dollars a month (triple play package) for. Big hassle. Ideas? Signal problem to companion box? Is box able to self-test and display for signal strength? And why does the HDMI have to be disconnected from the box and reconnected each time before the signal will register on the TV?

Thanks for any helpful feedback.

Expert

@kbermi wrote:

X1 companion box issue. Just exchanged old box for new but same error happens. Change channels, new channel logo appears with flashing dots below on black screen. And goes no further. No channel picture or sound. Can change channel with remote but only see new logo and same flashing dots. Power down and unplug box for reboot. TV shows "no signal" on screen as it should. HDMI connection. Plug box back in, power up. No signal to TV (Sony EDTV). Reset box with smartphone app. Lights on box flash. No signal to TV. Call to tech support for their refresh. No signal display on TV. After waiting 20-30 minutes, tried unplugging HDMI from back of box, then plugging back into box. Sound and picture pop on TV. Next night, same issue. unplug and refresh (including HDMI) but this is not what I am paying a couple of hudred dollars a month (triple play package) for. Big hassle. Ideas? Signal problem to companion box? Is box able to self-test and display for signal strength? And why does the HDMI have to be disconnected from the box and reconnected each time before the signal will register on the TV?

Press the EXIT button for 3-5 seconds

Press DOWN ARROW twice

Press the number 2

Go down to SYSTEM and right arrow tp Page 5

Post your Downstream Power Level, Your SNR and your UPSTREAM Power levels so we can look at them...

-=Ray=-

Highlighted
Expert

@kbermi wrote:

while 'in there' doing what geek says, also go to the bottom menu MoCA, let right side update and verify moca is linked and enabled. hit right and note the lines and copy the numbers back. example

. 225 225

225 . 225