Community Forum

Recording on DVR are skipping

New Poster

Re: DVR recordings in the cloud Skipping stop/starting

Same here in Atlanta. Disappointing after a long day at work to be stressed with the cloud. I’d like to know too how to direct recording to the dvr box. I have lots of space. Why can’t I use this unused space and prioritize recording to it?
New Poster

Mine is doing the same too 😡
New Poster

2:14 am CST has come and gone but the problem has not.  It's 9:30am in Ann Arbor, MI and this morning's recordings of the Today Show are worse than yesterday's - and those were pretty bad.  Why is Comcast not issuing a statement about this?  Are we individually going to have to ask for a credit for the time period our DVR system was not available?  Apparently and not surprisingly so.

New Poster

Mine is doing it also, we’re in the suberbs of Chicago and the DVR is horrible! Won’t play back and is super choppy...this is brutal!

New Poster

Amen to that!

Regular Contributor

Now I'm worried...My "Outage" designation is gone , but I still have the same problem.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@tbill1 wrote:

Now I'm worried...My "Outage" designation is gone , but I still have the same problem.

"outage" is different than the issue discussed in this thread.

Why it was brought up by an "expert poster" , I really have no idea...

Regular Contributor

Starting yesterday, all of my new DVR recordings are playing back from the cloud

Everything I recorded before yesterday play back from my DVRs (Project Blue Book attachment).

However, starting yesterday, everything I record plays back from the cloud (The Magicians attachment).

Why is this all of a sudden happening?  Playing back from the cloud has sluggish controls and the picture isn't as good as playing back from my DVRs.

themagicians.jpg
projectbluebook.jpg
Regular Visitor

Looks like @ComcastCares has replied to a few folks on twitter acknowledging the problem and that Engineering is working on a fix.
Regular Contributor

I never asked you to identify me or claimed to be an "expert poster" . When nothing is wrong except for the DVR playback, and the App, phone, and the fellow I talked to at Corporate all refer to an Outage, that is what I assumed they were talking about. 

Regular Contributor

Re: DVR playback is choppy

@FreelandTrafyon wrote:
Same here as well.
Reset and unplugged several times, issue remains. All recordings AFTER TUESDAY are not watchable including instant recordings.

There has to be a nightly update that messed up the DVR function of all these x1 boxes at the same time.

Comcast, please inform and correct, at $200+ /month ....this is not acceptable!

I am having the same issue in the Chicago suburbs.  Everything I recorded prior to Wednesday recorded to my DVRs and play back from my DVRs.  Everything I recorded after Tuesday seems to have been recorded to the cloud and will only play back from the cloud.

It is very aggravating as the cloud is horrible.  The controls are sluggish and the picture isn't as good as playing back from the DVRs.

Regular Contributor

@MLTWA wrote:

chatted with Comcast and was told there is a problem with the cloud. Techs are working on it. Boy.....that sure clears things up.

I don't buy that.  If there was a problem with the cloud, why are recordings all of a sudden going to the cloud instead of my DVRs?

Regular Visitor

DVR Playback

Lately the playback on some of my dvr recordings is skipping.  It seems to be affecting recordings from NBC.  other recordings seem to be fine.  I have reset, and refreshed the system.  Is this a box problem, a hard rive problem, a connection prolem, a system problem or all of the above. Please advise and thanks in advance

Regular Contributor

@RachelAW wrote:
Just chatted with them. They said this was a national issue and their “advanced technical team” is “working on it.”
They gave me an estimated fix time of 2:14 am CST 1/24

Well, they missed that time.  I just recorded something 10 minutes ago and played it back.  It played back from the cloud and was hardly watchable.

New Poster

Interestingly, the DVR has the issue, but I can watch  on my iPad without the skips, stops, and stutters. Why hasn’t Comcast/xfinity responded to this forum with an solution?

New Poster

Is anyone from Comcast going to respond to any of these posts...? It's 2019, we (your customers) all have access to the internet, meaning we have access to information and access to each other thanks to this awesome forum. What legitimate business would ever allow this many bug reports to go unanswered (3 pages and counting JUST on this thread) for this long?  Is your reputation really so bad that you've decided to give up on any sort of attempt at damage control? ...what gives? 

Regular Contributor

This is how "Cloud" recordings actually work.   When you set a recording on your DVR the recording is also set on the cloud.  Normally playback is through your DVR however the cloud recording also allows you to access the same recordings via the Streaming App where you do not have direct access to the DVR itself.

Regular Contributor

Not sure where you're getting this info but it's nonsense.   My X1 DVR has a built in hard drive used for recordings.   You can still TODAY get video equipment from Xfinity that STILL include on board hard drives for recording on the DVR.

When you set a program to record on the DVR it also sets a recording to the "Cloud".   So you've got the program recording in 2 locations.

@dominick1946 wrote:
Customers who have converted fully to the XFinity X1 platform need to know that, with X1 you no longer have a hard drive in your DVR box. All the recordings with X1 are stored in “the cloud”, not in your box. “The cloud” accually refers to large capacity storage servers that are maintained by Comcast.

The old DVR’s did have hard drives inside your box to record programs, but this is no longer the case with the XFinity X1 platform.

New Poster

Outage affects internet service as well. YouTube on my smartTV is doing the same thing with no comcast box.

Expert

@dominick1946 wrote:
Customers who have converted fully to the XFinity X1 platform need to know that, with X1 you no longer have a hard drive in your DVR box. All the recordings with X1 are stored in “the cloud”, not in your box. “The cloud” accually refers to large capacity storage servers that are maintained by Comcast.

The old DVR’s did have hard drives inside your box to record programs, but this is no longer the case with the XFinity X1 platform.

your claim is wrong. if you have an xg1DVR set top box (version 1,2,3 or 4) you have a hard drive in your home. if a recording does not successfully record in the home then the set top box will play the cloud copy.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@Jesse13 wrote:
Ok. So why is there now (coincidentally?) a cloud icon next to where it says ‘DVR’, when you pause it?

any time a recording is not available on the home set top box(es) the set top box will use the cloud DVR copy. the little white cloud icon tells you that the version you are watching is from the cloud DVR.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I'm having the same issue for all my shows I've recorded this week and it's frustrating, I miss out on parts of the show and it's impossible to watch with all these pauses and skips and the quality is SD.
Expert

@tjkelly36 wrote:

@dominick1946 wrote:

All true. Comcast obviously fouled up their DVR servers in the cloud. Will the messed up recordings ever be watchable again?

A suggestion to help a little bit - if the recorded pgm was a prime time show on ABC, NBC, CBS that you recorded and Comcast can't ever recover a good recording, After 24 hrs, you can watch the missed show on ONDemand. It will be there for a couple days.

if you have an XG1 versions 1 to 4 in your home then you do have a hard drive in your home.

New Poster

Thank you for voluntering.

Some of the replys are saying that even though the have a dvr in their box that the replys are all coming from the cloud. Software change?

Expert

Re: DVR skipping and freezing

@dannyr70 wrote:

Hi, I was having trouble streaming comcast tv on my desktop, I was getting error 11700. After getting some helpful information

on this forum, someone in second teir support deprovisioned my streaming devices, and I was able to log in and watch channels on my PC.  Yesterday, I noticed that I wasn't able to watch certain channels on the desktop and saw a little note about having to be connected to WiFi, when in actuality I'm hardwired to the router and modem. Fortunately after a day I am able to view all channels on the desktop. Now on my main DVR anything I recorded after the deprovisioning was done , freezes and skips when I try to watch.

It freezes and skips on the other boxes I have in the bedrooms as well. Live tv works fine, and the programs I recorded before the deprovisioning work fine as well. It seems like this problem has to be related to the previous deprovisioning. Any help is appreciated thanks.

deprovision only voids all the streaming device's log in sessions so they have to sign back in to use the service. It does not have any affect on the cloud DVR recording process.

Expert

@Kim03 wrote:

Same here in California!  How do we fix it?  I don’t want this stupid cloud!  I just upgraded to a 4K box. It Is terrible!  I pay way too much per month for this.  It’s a box we’ve only had for 2 days. 

it appears to be a regional or national outage (no word from Comcast that i've seen so far). the 4k DVR does normally record on its own hard drive in the home. my Chicago PD from last night is playing now with 'cloud DVR' showing in the screen. did your cloud copy of the recording play fine? (cloud seems to have only 2.0 stereo but quality of video is same since it is the same stream from the network).

New Poster

Same thing is happening in Indiana. Started Tuesday night, anything recorded to DVR takes forever to start (three blinking dots), then if it does (without getting the "do you want to record this program later?" or "watch in On-Demand" messages), it's impossible to watch. Freezes then skips.  I was super close to asking for a new box (and dreading it!), but it looks like it's a national problem.  Comcast needs to communicate this stuff to customers. If not for this forum, I would have had no idea. 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

it appears to be a regional or national outage (no word from Comcast that i've seen so far). the 4k DVR does normally record on its own hard drive in the home. my Chicago PD from last night is playing now with 'cloud DVR' showing in the screen. did your cloud copy of the recording play fine? (cloud seems to have only 2.0 stereo but quality of video is same since it is the same stream from the network).

I know many are reporting poor quality playback but in my experience I'm not seeing any degraded video quality.  Matter of fact last night I would not even have noticed the issue(I did not notice the cloud icon during playback) except I noticed a slightly longer delay for the program to start once you hit play and someone posted about the issue on DSLR.   Otherwise my video PQ seems normal to what I am used to seeing.

I suspect this is an issue with accessing the actual DVR content from last nights and current recordings.

New Poster

The issue began for me on 1/20/19. Every 10-12 seconds the voice skips and/or both the voice and picture freezes for about 5 seconds. Never had an issue with DVR prior to this. Comcast - please fix as soon as possible.

Regular Contributor

@tbill1 wrote:

I never asked you to identify me or claimed to be an "expert poster" . When nothing is wrong except for the DVR playback, and the App, phone, and the fellow I talked to at Corporate all refer to an Outage, that is what I assumed they were talking about. 

was not referring to you at all, rather "RobertWY"

Regular Contributor

I wish "the cloud recordings" would be in 5.1 audio surround sound

Regular Visitor

I am disgusted with the playback issues. Almost everything I watch is pre-recorded beacuse I work 3-11 PM. This type of issues should not happen for the price we are paying for the service we are getting. All my connections are tight. I've tried resetting, turning off and on, disconnecting all connections (<Edited for violating forum guidelines>) and NOTHING has changed. I don't have an hour to spend on the phone with a tech directing me to do all the things I've already done. By the looks of the comments here and in other forums....thisis clearly an Xfinity issues. Why can't it be fixed? It has gotten so bad that one cannot even follow the dialog in a program because of the "choppiness" <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

New Poster

This happened last night for me too. Now my whole platform is not working including internet and tv. Is the same for anyone else in California or across the country?
Frequent Visitor

There is now a message on the website. I chatted with support and they gave me a whopping $5 credit for my inconvenience. There is no timeline for the problem to be fixed. And just now as I'm typing this my service has stopped entirely. 

New Poster

I'm having the exact same problem in Colorado Springs.  We watch a lot of shows on Wed nights and Thursday and all our shows that were recorded were basically unwatchable.  Very frustrating with how much we pay a month.  On Demand does not have the FF available which is why we record all of our shows in the first place.  Some sort of email or communcation would be nice that this is an acknowledged issue!

New Poster

Really annoying!  At almost 200 a month and being touted as the BEST SERVICE available.... this is unacceptable!  Please get it fixed!  

Regular Visitor

When can we all expect comcast to fix this issue? Does anyone from comcast monitor things like this?

New Poster

Same problem in Centennial, CO.  Doesn't anyone form Comcast monitor these posts and realize they are about to lose hundreds of customers?  Or, do they just not care any more?

Regular Contributor

I can report It is now working properly in the Chicago area-no cloud version of a recording.

New Poster

Their Tweet from 2 hours ago:

We've identified an issue that's causing Xfinity X1 DVR recordings to freeze. We're working to fix this issue; however, there's currently no estimated time of resolution. You may be able to watch your programming via Xfinity On Demand or online via the Xfinity Stream website. -IB

Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR playback is choppy

Yep. I'm in a service outage area also.  In this case, I have regular tv, but the dvr is awful right now.

Regular Contributor

@terri2001 wrote:

There is now a message on the website. I chatted with support and they gave me a whopping $5 credit for my inconvenience. There is no timeline for the problem to be fixed. And just now as I'm typing this my service has stopped entirely. 

Where is the message?  Whenever I go to xfinity.com it just brings me to my account page.  What does the message say?

Frequent Visitor

I am one of those people. I don't expect much information if any. Why haven't they publicly posted about it except in replies? Utterly ridiculous!

Frequent Visitor

Some of the support people on Twitter are responding, but there's still no general message. It's awful!

Frequent Visitor

Well, now the message  isn't there. When I went to my status center there was a pop up in red print that said something about a known issue with DVR playback and technicians working on the problem. Now it says "everything looks good on our end." 

Frequent Visitor

Just got this message from @ComcastCares on twitter: Thank you for reaching out. I've checked and it definitely looks like a known issue we're working on. I do wish there was a timeline I could provide at this time but they are correct. We don't currently have an expected resolution.

New Poster

Earlier today, I was seeing:

"We are currently experiencing an issue with viewing DVR recordings on X1 in your area. Our technicians are aware of this issue and are working as quickly as possible to restore your service. Thank you for your patience, and we apologize for any inconvenience."

The message is now gone and a recording I just made appears to be working properly.   It's pulling from the DVR hard drive instead of using the cloud.  Might be fixed in Pittsburgh.

New Poster

SO glad we found this!!!  We're STILL having garbled DVR playback forced to cloud-streaming as of 10:30am-PST 01/24/2019.  This started yesterday, and everything we found online said to take DVR box in to swap it, as well as check connections.  Refuse to swap box, between this issue and semi-regular internet-farts, would sooner switch to another TV service, especially since we're paying almost $200/mo. for the Triple-Play bundle, which oddly, recently seemed to go up in price by $15/mo. 

Already did a system refresh, unplug/replug, and several restarts with no luck.

We're just outside Sacramento, on the edge of the town of Antelope, and hoping this is fixed soon or swapping service-providers is DEFINITELY still readily on the table.  Again, for almost $200/mo. we really shouldn't have to be troubleshooting our services and equipment once a week or two.  This right here is why companies shouldn't have been allowed to absorb so many competitors and form a monopoly! >:-(

PS - Garbling was happening today (as well as last night) with recordings from yesterday, so hopefully today's recordings will work the way they're supposed to.

Not applicable

Same exact issue for the last four days in Fremont CA. Called Comcast/Xfinity support and got to a recording acknowledging issues with the X1 DVR service in my area. Supposedly they are working on it. Also notice folks on the East Coast (MA/MI) having the same issue, so this could be a nationwide problem.

Regular Contributor

@tbill1 wrote:

I can report It is now working properly in the Chicago area-no cloud version of a recording.

Just checked my wife's recording of The Bold and the Beautiful today (it is currently recording).  Playback is coming from the cloud.  I am in the Chicago suburbs.