LeeSoFL's profile

Contributor

• 

410 Messages

Tuesday, January 28th, 2020 5:00 AM

Closed

Max of Six Recordings Starts March 2020

Beginning Friday, March 20, 2020, you will be able to record a maximum of 6 programs at one time.

I have two xg1-v4 DVRs in the house.  Does that mean 6 per box?

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

4 years ago

OK I am learning something new here. So do I understand it correctly that I can go to Xfinity using my app on my cellphone or via the web and select multiple shows to be recorded and they will be recorded to the cloud? Interesting. I still think we DVR owners will be restricted to 6 records because they sent me a letter and I think that letter must have gone to customers with more than one Comcast DVR.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

They will only be available on that particular DVR and the TV it is connected to.
No, not quite. If you have multiple dvrs or X1 boxes they will still be available for viewing. The cloud is only used for access via mobile/website. The X1 boxes use moca to communicate and share recordings

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

OK I am learning something new here. So do I understand it correctly that I can go to Xfinity using my app on my cellphone or via the web and select multiple shows to be recorded and they will be recorded to the cloud? Interesting. I still think we DVR owners will be restricted to 6 records because they sent me a letter and I think that letter must have gone to customers with more than one Comcast DVR.

cloud dvr now will have same shows unless more than 6 tuners are scheduled at same time. note that adding a manual extra pad to recordings at front or back keep that tuner occupied. the effect would be that at next 'hour' some tuners won't be available if you have 6 shows in hour A and 6 shows in hour B. If the hour A shows are manually padded then no hour B shows can be recorded. I removed all manual paddings last night on all series. X1 still has autopad on and it is working (use padding on in-home DVR when tuners are not needed).

Frequent Visitor

• 

18 Messages

4 years ago

I have 2 X1 DVR boxes.  How do I know if its a cloud dvr box?  If this impacts my ability to record all of our shows Im dropping Xfinity.  Paying so much as it is for their Cable, Internet and Phone as it is.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Somaed wrote:

Wth?  I have 2 X1 DVR boxes.  How do I know if its a cloud dvr box?  If this impacts my ability to record all of our shows Im dropping Xfinity.  Paying so much as it is for their Cable, Internet and Phone as it is.

when you have DVR service (with one or more in the home) you get access to a 'free' add-on cloud DVR that records on a server that is not using your home equipment at all (good backup for storm electricity outages). what seems to be changing is that those with multiple DVRs will have only 6 tuners at one time to use to record. I havent' seen an answer to the question of space (not tuners). at this time i have 4 DVRs so will go from 24 cloud tuners to 6. waiting to see what the space on the cloud DVR will be for those with multiple DVRs. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Somaed
Did you thoroughly read the answer given by an Official Employee above?

Contributor

• 

123 Messages

4 years ago

So basically?, it looks like it will be a waste of money to have a 2nd dvr

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

4 years ago

@rickcitgo wrote:

Yes unless the reason you have 2 DVRs is because you can't get family members to delete recorded programs so you need the extra storage space or you have Superbowl 51 recorded and you watch it over and over again (guilty).   

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

4 years ago

OK we will test it on March 20th and report back.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Read the Best Answer carefully

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@rickcitgo wrote:

i can get by with just 6 'tuners' (recording DVR programs) in the cloud. I need the extra space though and so far there is no announcement of if we still get 60 hours per DVR in the home. I removed all the manual padding on shows to be sure the tuners are available on-time for the cloud as x1 won't do a partial or late-start when tuner is available recording.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Rustyben wrote: ... so far there is no announcement of if we still get 60 hours per DVR ...

@ComcastJessie posted at https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Max-of-Six-Recordings-Starts-March-2020/m-p/3306862#M186370 :

Note: Reducing the number of tuners will not affect the amount of cloud recording hours customers currently receive or their DVR recordings.

According to that post, only the maximum number of simultaneous cloud recordings will be reduced, not the number of cloud recording hours or the number of simultaneous DVR recordings.

IOW the change means that if there are more than 6 simultaneous DVR recordings in progress, only 6 of them will be captured on the cloud servers.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@BruceW wrote:

@Rustyben wrote: ... so far there is no announcement of if we still get 60 hours per DVR ...

@ComcastJessie posted at https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Max-of-Six-Recordings-Starts-March-2020/m-p/3306862#M186370 :

Note: Reducing the number of tuners will not affect the amount of cloud recording hours customers currently receive or their DVR recordings.

According to that post, only the maximum number of simultaneous cloud recordings will be reduced, not the number of cloud recording hours or the number of simultaneous DVR recordings.

IOW the change means that if there are more than 6 simultaneous DVR recordings in progress, only 6 of them will be captured on the cloud servers.

that is how I want to read that too.

Contributor

• 

157 Messages

4 years ago

I have 2 DVRs so I'll still be able to record 12 shows at a time but only 6 will record on the cloud.  Just to be 100% clear, I can still watch all 12 of those shows on any TV in my house right?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@kjakubowsk wrote:

I have 2 DVRs so I'll still be able to record 12 shows at a time but only 6 will record on the cloud.  Just to be 100% clear, I can still watch all 12 of those shows on any TV in my house right?

that is the current customers like us reading of the posts to this point. note that any use of manually adding to the start/end times when setting up a series ties that tuner up in either or both time slots before and after the actual show's time slot (making fewer tuners actually available).

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here