CCJessie1's profile

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

Friday, March 20th, 2020 7:00 AM

Closed

Comcast NBCUniversal Moves To Make Current Movies Available In The Home

NBCUniversal announced that Universal Pictures will make its movies available in the home on the same day as their global theatrical releases, as current circumstances have made it more challenging to view our films. Beginning with DreamWorks Animation’s Trolls World Tour (opening April 10 in the U.S.) the company will also make movies that are currently in theatrical release available on-demand starting as early as Friday, March 20. Titles from Universal and its specialty label Focus Features, including The Hunt, The Invisible Man and Emma, will be available on a wide variety of the most popular on-demand services for a 48-hour rental period at a suggested retail price of $19.99 in the U.S. and the price equivalent in international markets. 

Given the rapidly evolving and unprecedented changes to consumers’ daily lives during this difficult time, the company felt that now was the right time to provide this option in the home as well as in theaters. NBCUniversal will continue to evaluate the environment as conditions evolve and will determine the best distribution strategy in each market when the current unique situation changes.

The day-and-date release will be concurrent with Trolls World Tour’s local theatrical release date in each international market where available.

Additional Resources:

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I am livid that you are taking advantage of this crisis by ripping off your most loyal customers!!!  $19 to rent a movie ...      11  shame on you!!

Contributor

• 

185 Messages

4 years ago

We are all under house quarantine, cannot go to work, have no income for utilities, rent, mortgage, food, kids are at home with nothing to do. All that is really available is to watch TV, and so far Comcast and its cronies want their share of the income pie.

Contributor

• 

203 Messages

4 years ago

Have to agree. Very poor taste to charge a family $19 to rent a movie when they are stuck at home and are already paying for Xfinity services. Worse is passing it off as doing your part to help the community.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

4 years ago

Don't shoot the messenger. She just reporting what was given.

The theaters are closed. The movie owners will either sit on them, or possibly reconsider depending what happens this week or two. It,s their decision.

Contributor

• 

203 Messages

4 years ago

No one is shooting the messenger. We all understand where the decisions come from. Comcast customers are stuck at home and trying to furnish entertainment is fine. Trying to make a profit off this situation is in poor taste. If this is the Comcast true cost I withdraw all criticism.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Terry0327 wrote:

No one is shooting the messenger. We all understand where the decisions come from. Comcast customers are stuck at home and trying to furnish entertainment is fine. Trying to make a profit off this situation is in poor taste. If this is the Comcast true cost I withdraw all criticism.

It's hard to believe anyone making much money (except scammers) off the current situation. Only a fool, or someone who still has money might do this. The rest of us will just ignore and not waste time complaining.

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

4 years ago

$20? I hope nobody rents them. It's not worth it.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Everyone keeps fussing about $19.99 to rent the movie for 48 hours. Why though?

If me and my husband were to take our daughter to the theatre the tickets alone would be $27.25 (adults $9.75 kids $7.75) plus tax. Then add snacks so another $10-15. Oh and the gas to go there. Basically a movie night would normally be around $50-$60
I don’t understand the problem. I would much rather pay $19.99 and be at my house than $50!!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

You are the problem. Not everyone can afford to rent a movie at a 20 dollar price tag. It's a rip off. Who mentioned movie theaters... in home rental is not the same at all. Enjoy your range rover.

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

4 years ago

MAYBE if 3 people are watching the movie, they can justify the $19.99 price. How about us single people who live alone? I'm not paying $19.99 to watch ANY movie.

Contributor

• 

203 Messages

4 years ago

Its not about me or you. Its about the family that has no job and needs something to help keep the family entertained. The family that never could afford to take the kids to the movie to begin with.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

What are you trying to say, that people shouldn't be DISGUSTED that COMCAST NBCUNIVERSAL is leveraging the COVID-19 restrictions to RENT a childrens movie for 20$ - only to SELL the SAME movie to the SAME people for 25$ in three weeks? All the while CLAIMING that they are acting ALTRUISTICALLY for the benefit of the very FAMILIES they are FLEECING

You can't be serious.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

I tend to agree. I fully understand the argument and associated reasoning behind why entertainment and distribution executives might think $19.99 is a steal but there is an obvious disconnect between their thinking and that of the end users expected to shell out that kind of money. If I take my family to the theater I know that if I have to put gas in my SUV that those profits will go to the oil company. Same for food at a restaurant I take them to and for consessions bought at the theaters and for the film revenue which is split between the studios and the same said theater operators via prearranged contract agreements.

Yes, going to the movies is more costly but those costs benefit more entities and taking your family out for a night on the town really can't be replicated the same way by simply planting your rump on the couch and "clicking" OK to the $20 rental charge. It's just human nature and VR is not nearly advanced enough to recreate a true experience that consumers are willing to pay more for.

That said I see how $20 for a new film is justifiable from a profit/loss bottom line forensic accounting perspective by studios and service providers. However, if you can manage to survive without having to watch films that are still red hot embers in terms of newness then I recommend adding a premium channel to your plan that lets you watch hundreds/thousands of films for $5 - $15 per month no contract or just rent stuff that is cheaper...for which there are plenty. Chances are that $20 movie they want you to rent will land on HBO or Amazon Prime in 3-6 months anyway. Happy couch surfing! I hope the pandemic passes so these types of issues become less of a concern to the masses.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here