Community Forum

On Demand no longer supported on TiVo (after 6/25/19)

Frequent Visitor

Re: On Demand no longer supported on TiVo (after 6/25/19) Does th

Does this mean I can no longer watch Comcast HBO through my Tivo?

Frequent Visitor

@mamabrown1 wrote:

Does this mean I can no longer watch Comcast HBO through my Tivo?

You will still be able to watch the HBO channel. You will only lose the ability to watch HBO On Demand (and all other On Demand programming) through your TiVo.

New Poster

This is Comcast being Difficult to work with I heard the TIVO gave them a alternative but Comcast wants more money
New Poster

Re: On Demand no longer supported on TiVo (after 6/25/19)

First question, is it right that the xstream app on Roku is a free beta with limited functionality and is free to use?

Second question, when the production release version is made available will you commit now to providing this free, forever, to all impacted TiVo users?

New Poster

Is Comcast working with Tivo to fix this problem?  

Official Employee

ssoong, thanks for your question. 

We have consulted with TiVo on decommissioning this feature. I encourage you to pursue other options in watching on demand content like via our XFINITY Stream app! We are now streaming on Roku devices and Samsung Smart TVs. LG and Sony TV compatibility is coming later this year. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

TiVo vs VOD

I am told by both Xfinity & TiVo (in exactly the same words) that I will no longer have access to on-demand after 6/25. No one can give me a reasonable explanation as to why or if there is a solution in the works. All the work arounds will not work for me. I DO NOT want to pay for a movie I can only watch on my 4" phone screen.
Someone give me some good news
Regular Visitor

Re: If I'm forced to choose between TiVo and Comcast, I'm choosing Tivo!

No good news. I'm angry and dissapointed by this as well. TIVO users need to collectivly raise thier voices with both companies to express their anti consumer consideration. <Edited>

Official Employee

Re: TiVo vs VOD

@madray wrote:
I am told by both Xfinity & TiVo (in exactly the same words) that I will no longer have access to on-demand after 6/25. No one can give me a reasonable explanation as to why or if there is a solution in the works. All the work arounds will not work for me. I DO NOT want to pay for a movie I can only watch on my 4" phone screen.
Someone give me some good news

Apologies for the experience. 

On June 25, Comcast and TiVo will remove the ability for customers to access Xfinity On Demand on TiVo devices.

The platform that connects TiVo and Xfinity devices uses out-of-date technology that can’t be upgraded or updated, making it susceptible to security breaches and therefore both companies decided to sunset the feature.

Why can I no longer access Xfinity On Demand on my TiVo device after June 25th?
We made the decision to remove the Xfinity On Demand app from TiVo devices because the platform utilizes outdated technology that can no longer be updated and is therefore susceptible to security breaches. The decision to remove the feature was made in close consultation with TiVo.

Does this include access to SVOD (Subscription Video On Demand) packages I access through Xfinity On Demand such as: DOGTV and History Vault On Demand?
Yes. In order to continue watching this content, you will need an Xfinity TV box or a device that can access the Xfinity Stream App (Roku, certain smart TVs, smartphone, tablet or computer).

Will any other parts of my TiVo experience be affected by this change?
No, no other part of your TiVo experience with Xfinity will be affected. You can still watch and record live TV, and your recordings won’t be deleted.

Are there other ways I can watch On Demand content?
Yes. If you have an Xfinity TV Box, you can still access your On Demand content, including any SVOD subscriptions. You can also access all of your On Demand content via the Xfinity Stream app and portal, which is available on Apple and Android devices, computers/laptops, Roku devices, Samsung Smart TVs and later this year on LG Smart TVs.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Ted-  I keep seeing party line answers, but no estimate as to when this will be resolved.  Understand that "this runs on an old OS that can no longer be updated", but applications are replatformed every day.  When can we expect this to be resolved?

Official Employee

@e3smith wrote:

Ted-  I keep seeing party line answers, but no estimate as to when this will be resolved.  Understand that "this runs on an old OS that can no longer be updated", but applications are replatformed every day.  When can we expect this to be resolved?

Apologies. The "resolution" is that both TiVO and Comcast jointly decided to sunset/remove the current On Demand application.  Some options have been presented above.  

New Poster

I have a 2 yr old Samsung TV that cannot use the Xfinity Stream App - aparently not "new enough".

Contributor

I think you can expect that they do not care and will not "fix" this.  Saying it will be available on other platforms is just propaganda to try to soften the blow.  They do not value their customers at all, particularly their TiVo customers.

New Poster

So to be able to stream XOD on something other than a tiny screen, it seems the cheapest solution is the basic Roku player?

New Poster

yep, and another remote, and another education sesion with the other users in the house...

Regular Visitor

Could one of the Comcast official reps (@ComcastKenF or  @ComcastTeds?) please clarify how the licensing agreements with the networks forbid using Xfinity Stream on a Chromecast or Apple TV, but allows the use of Xfinity Stream on a Roku?  Or allows streaming on Samsung and LG TVs, but not my Panasonic that has a Chromecast attached to it?  Is Roku or Samsung or LG paying a licensing fee that Google won't pay?

Seems like we all should just go out and get a $30 Roku Express.  Looks like there is no subscription or monthly fee required.

@ComcastKenF wrote:
@ComcastTeds wrote:
Yes. If you have an Xfinity TV Box, you can still access your On Demand content, including any SVOD subscriptions. You can also access all of your On Demand content via the Xfinity Stream app and portal, which is available on Apple and Android devices, computers/laptops, Roku devices, Samsung Smart TVs and later this year on LG Smart TVs. 

How about allowing access to Airplay on iPads so that I can watch content from the Xfinity Stream app using my AppleTV? If I already own an AppleTV why would I want to get yet another device to watch the service that I pay for.

MrRuffles, great suggestion. However, we are unable to cast or stream content from the app to a larger device due to licensing agreements we have with the networks. 

As far as the HBO GO app on TiVO, there have been no announcements on this partnership at this time. 

Ken

Frequent Visitor

There is no way to display On-Demand content to my LG TV.  I have a Tivo and an Apple TV....  The On-Demand app on an iPad for example can run On-Demand but I am unable to cast that content to a relatively new LG 65" TV through Apple TV?  Therefore I have no solution to display On-demand on a large display.

Basically, I'm paying full price for a now incomplete service because I have a Tivo.  Since your service has been reduced will my subscription be discounted or the terms renegotiated before the end of my 2 year agreement?

Regular Visitor

I'm sure Comcast doesn't see it that way....maybe the app should work on older smart TVs and android devices. It's all designed to force you to use their equipment.
Frequent Visitor

Whose equipment is outdated, TiVo or Comcast?  So you are going to change me for another Comcast DVR because the equipment is outdated in order  for me to get OnDemand?

Official Employee

@miwi98 wrote:

Whose equipment is outdated, TiVo or Comcast?  So you are going to change me for another Comcast DVR because the equipment is outdated in order  for me to get OnDemand?

Apologies. Both. 

Some options below. 

Regular Visitor

I have a Samsung smart TV and I can not use the app this is a load of crab the problem is Comcast doesn't see that there is a problem
Official Employee

@Garyhaz wrote:
I have a Samsung smart TV and I can not use the app this is a load of crab the problem is Comcast doesn't see that there is a problem

Apologies. What is the make and model # of the Samsung Smart TV that you have? Can you describe the issues are you having? Thanks for any additional information that you are able to provide.  

Regular Visitor

I know my Samsung is not on the list it is 3 years old. The problem is in your cookie cutter statements you say Samsung smart T v's leaving out the fine print because you plan to do nothing. Also when will the app be available for android devices that would solve a lot of issues for people I'm guessing it will never be
New Poster

I have a 

UN65KU6300 with the latest SW - and the xfinity app doesn't show up on the app list - I assume its not supported too.

Official Employee

@Jshur wrote:

I have a 

UN65KU6300 with the latest SW - and the xfinity app doesn't show up on the app list - I assume its not supported too.

Thanks for that information. The Xfinity Stream app is available on selected Samsung TVs manufactured in 2017 through 2019. Appears that the referenced model was manufacturered in 2016.   

Additional details below: 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activating-xfinity-stream-samsung

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/06/comcast-xfinity-stream-app-samsung-tvs/

Not all device models meet the minimum hardware requirements for the Xfinity Stream app. We are working with equipment manufacturers to bring the Xfinity Stream app to additional devices and models.

Official Employee

@Garyhaz wrote:
I know my Samsung is not on the list it is 3 years old. The problem is in your cookie cutter statements you say Samsung smart T v's leaving out the fine print because you plan to do nothing. Also when will the app be available for android devices that would solve a lot of issues for people I'm guessing it will never be

The Xfinity Stream app is available on selected Samsung TVs manufactured in 2017 through 2019. 

Not all device models meet the minimum hardware requirements for the Xfinity Stream app. We are working with equipment manufacturers to bring the Xfinity Stream app to additional devices and models.

The Xfinity Stream app is available for Android devices, download it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xfinity.cloudtvr

New Poster

I want to access Xfinity OnDemand and view the content on my smart Samsung TV which is also connected to TiVo and AppleTV devices.  I can no longer do this without adding another device even though I still pay the same amount to Comcast as I when I could do this before June 25.

Comcast - please advise on the no cost solution to the problem you have created and how to access the  valued services you have removed from my account ON MY TV WITHOUT AN ADDITIONAL CABLE BOX  - if there is no solution when my contract expires, my solution will be to stick with TiVo, cut the cord on your cable content and monthly bill for it, and invest the savings in alternative access methods necessary from other more customer-oriented providers.

Thanks - please surprise me with an innovative, customer-focused solution!

Official Employee

@Allthedogs wrote:

I want to access Xfinity OnDemand and view the content on my smart Samsung TV which is also connected to TiVo and AppleTV devices.  I can no longer do this without adding another device even though I still pay the same amount to Comcast as I when I could do this before June 25.

Comcast - please advise on the no cost solution to the problem you have created and how to access the  valued services you have removed from my account ON MY TV WITHOUT AN ADDITIONAL CABLE BOX  - if there is no solution when my contract expires, my solution will be to stick with TiVo, cut the cord on your cable content and monthly bill for it, and invest the savings in alternative access methods necessary from other more customer-oriented providers.

Thanks - please surprise me with an innovative, customer-focused solution!

Apologies for the delay in responding.  Please check your Private Messages. 

The Xfinity Stream app is available on selected Samsung TVs manufactured in 2017 through 2019. 

What model of Samsung TV do you have? 

Frequent Visitor

my SUPER UHD 4K HDR Smart LED TV w/ Nano Cell™ Display - 65" Class (64.5" Diag)

• Model65SJ850A  also doens't support the Xfinity Streaming app. I also have iPads, Apple TV. Ipad Xfinity On-Demand Streaming app casting to Apple TV or LG isn't supported.

Oddly, my Tivo does support OTA broadcasts which is where I'll be (cutting the cord) at the end of this contract period.  If I have to get Roku or whatever, I might as well just drop Xfinity and go all-in those solutions.

New Poster

This is just Comcast's way of forcing customer to rent their DVR's.  As if their service is not expensive enough.  I will be cancelling.  There are other options.  Nice job Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

Please stop telling people to get a Samsung TV as an alternative without telling them that it only applies to a few specific 2017 and 2018 models. I read this "solution" Xfinity is handing out and went and bought a new Sansung to replace my 2015 model Sansung and this app is not available on 2019 Samsungs.                             

If the Xfinity DVR was even half as functional as TiVo I'd switch to X1 but just the inability to switch between tuners is enough to keep me from switching. 

After 30 plus years I think I am done with Xfinity.

Official Employee

@wgmarq wrote:

Please stop telling people to get a Samsung TV as an alternative without telling them that it only applies to a few specific 2017 and 2018 models. I read this "solution" Xfinity is handing out and went and bought a new Sansung to replace my 2015 model Sansung and this app is not available on 2019 Samsungs.                             

If the Xfinity DVR was even half as functional as TiVo I'd switch to X1 but just the inability to switch between tuners is enough to keep me from switching. 

After 30 plus years I think I am done with Xfinity.

The Xfinity Stream Beta app is available on the following Samsung device models:

2019 TVs (no minimum software version) and QLED Model Codes Q900R, Q950R, Q90, Q85, Q80, Q70 and Q60; UHD Model Codes RU8000, RU7300 and RU7100

2018 TVs with minimum software version T-KTM2AKUC 1131.9 and Model Codes NU8500, NU850, NU8000, NU800, Q9F, Q8F, Q7C, Q7F and Q6 [F = Flat, C= Curved]

2018 TVs with minimum software version T-KTM2LAKUC 1131.9 and Model Codes NU7300, NU730, NU7200, NU7100 and NU710

2018 TVs with minimum software version T-KTSUAKUC and Model Code UNXXNU7090

2018 TVs with minimum software version T-KTSNAKUC 1131.9 and Model Codes N5510, N5500, N5350, N5300, N4500, N4350 and N4310

2017 TVs with minimum software version T-KTMAKUC-1210.8 and Model Codes Q9F, Q8C, Q7F (Flat), Q7C (Curved), MU9000, MU8500, MU8000, MU7600, MU7500, MU750, MU7100, MU700, MU7000, MU6500, MU6490, MU6300, MU630 and MU6290

2017 TVs with minimum software version T-KTSAKUC-1210.8 and Model Codes M5300, M530, M4500 and M450

Frequent Visitor

thank you, that must have come out in the last 2 weeks. It wasn't there when I bought the TV.

Gold Problem Solver

@wgmarq wrote: ... that must have come out in the last 2 weeks ...

According to https://web.archive.org/ the 2019 model info was added to https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activating-xfinity-stream-samsung sometime after July 7. Not so awesome.

New Poster

No longer supporting TiVo On Demand

I have read all the forum listings on this topic. I don't need any more explanations about whether it is TiVo or Comcast, out-dated or un-upgradable technology, legal challenges or stubbornness. I don't care.

The issue is that I am locked into a two year contract and yet what I agreed to is not the service I am receiving. Why is there no prorated option for this "unsolvable problem"? This is breach of service. The option of using the Comcast box does not provide a comparable service to TiVo - the xFinity interface is unacceptably clumsy and slow. There is a reason that elected TiVo ten years ago. And the onDemand interface has not improved in all that time.

New Poster

What isn't mentioned with the information about alternatives is that Xfinity blocks casting. While VOD is available through the app, it is virtually useless if the content cannot be viewed on the television.
New Poster

I know there is a fix but Xfinity does not want to Implement it because they want people to buy their own boxes or rent their own boxes instead of other alternatives on TIVO
Official Employee

@snadowj wrote:
I know there is a fix but Xfinity does not want to Implement it because they want people to buy their own boxes or rent their own boxes instead of other alternatives on TIVO

Apologies. To be clear,  TiVo and Comcast both were very much involved in this decision. 

There are some options presented in the direct communication that you received and above that don't require you to use our boxes.    

New Poster

Yes it is safe to say "options'
but there were certainly no solutions. The answer should be a fix that presents the user with relatively the same experience.
Official Employee

Re: No longer supporting TiVo On Demand

@AnnaFitz wrote:

I have read all the forum listings on this topic. I don't need any more explanations about whether it is TiVo or Comcast, out-dated or un-upgradable technology, legal challenges or stubbornness. I don't care.

The issue is that I am locked into a two year contract and yet what I agreed to is not the service I am receiving. Why is there no prorated option for this "unsolvable problem"? This is breach of service. The option of using the Comcast box does not provide a comparable service to TiVo - the xFinity interface is unacceptably clumsy and slow. There is a reason that elected TiVo ten years ago. And the onDemand interface has not improved in all that time.

Apologies. If you'd like to cancel your services based on this change or get out of your current contract without penalty,  I can help with that or waive your early termination fees as a courtesy - please send me a Private Message by clicking on my name above, the Send Me a Message in the upper right  and we can start the process.

Official Employee

Hi there, AnnaFitz. Thank you for posting your feedback to our forums. 

I apologize for the TiVo support not being available. 

What I can do is look into a promotion that may be better suited to your needs. I usually have access to a lot due to me being a part of corporate. 

Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 
To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Official Employee

Hello, AnnaFitz. 

I wanted to touch base with you before closing out the post. Did you have any other questions for me?