Community Forum

pausing, pixelating, freezing, sound drops for several seconds

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: pausing, pixelating, freezing, sound drops for several seconds

Same here.  Freezes appear to be gone.  Nothing was done on my end and nobody from Comcast ever acknowledged my particular issue.  So I'll assume it was a transmission issue with either Comcast or CNN that was resolved.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

A month later and the pixelating / sounds drops are back on a new downstream frequency.  Outside of Philly and several of my neighbors mentioned they were seeing issues on our local CW affiliate on ch 1057.

I checked and sure enough, all channels running on downstream frequency 201 Mhz are affected.  This is affecting myself and all the nieghbors I checked with and it's happening on all equipment ... X1, DTA, legacy boxes etc ...

I checked the singal levels on 201 Mhz on my X1 box and HD-DTA as well as my niegbors legacy DCX box ... the levels were fine on all equipment with downstream power ~ 0 to +3 dbs, and the SNR on 201 Mhz was running 38-41 on all the equipment.

This is not a signal level or equipment issue at the premises ... something is going on again with the singal or transmission on Comcast's end.

This is getting very frustrating as the previous issue went away and had nothing to do with our premises, and now it's returned on another frequency which is showing good signal levels by all the neighbors I checked with.

Someone in engineering needs to check the 201 Mhz feed in my area without having to visit my house.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Seems like it might be happening again, on CNN HD. Just happened at 9:22AM EST (in Cambridge, MA, Channel 842). Will see if it recurs or if this was a one-off.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

After a couple of days of no audio interruptions/pixelation, I also noticed it this morning again on CNN.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

My issues with frequency 201 Mhz went away sometime between mindight and 4 AM for myself and my nieghbors.  No change in the signal levels.  This still seems to point to something on Comcast's end.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Have not had a 4 sec freeze/audio drop event on CNN HD in 2  days so far (So. Florida). But would not be surprised if it returns. It went away once before only to return. Seemed to improve on Wednesday  Nov 11. If I get an event, will post time.

Highlighted
New Poster

So had a tech out here. Put an amplifier in, removed my cable splitter. Seemed to work fine, then randomly came back the next day to change the cables leading into my house. Aaaaand guess what?! ESPN is doing it again. So is nfl network. So I guess I’m paying for redzone for nothing since this is unwatchable. All my pst experience with Comcast I’ve never experienced this and it’s getting incredibly annoying at this point.
Highlighted
New Poster

Here is an update to my post. The problem has stopped. Presumably, all the effort I went through to report, endure stupid “triage” scripts, resets, box replacements, and tech visits finally resulted in a repair out on the network. XFinity/Comcast: it is despicable that I had to work so forking hard to solve your problem. Fellow end users: my only advice is this. Insist on them sending a “senior engineer” to test the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) in-person and monitor it for spikes.
Highlighted
New Poster

Same issue central ct. extremely annoying.
Highlighted
New Poster

The freezing/pausing issue has been occurring when I watch CNN HD on channel 817 via Comcast in Arlington VA since Election Day (11/03/2020). I was in Virginia Beach this week and their CNN did not freeze. I returned home to Arlington today and CNN is freezing up a storm several times an hour. It’s more noticeable now after not having it happen for 3 days in the hotel room. I believe something is going on with CNN’s feed to Comcast. I wish I knew what service the Hilton used to compare if it’s just Comcast though. Also CNN appears to be the only channel I’m having the freeze issue with.
Highlighted
New Poster

sound drops very often why?

Highlighted
New Poster

please chat on line

Highlighted
New Poster

pausing ,freezing and sound drop for several seconds please call back <Edited>

Highlighted
New Poster

I am happy to report that xfinity/comcast did contact me via email to troubleshoot this issue.  However, I was traveling on the road and did not have a chance to communicate with the rep to step through the problem.  When I arrived home I checked out CNN for 2 days and I have not seen the stuttering, drop out, pixelating, whatever anymore.

Kudos to comcast/xfinity for reading this thread and responding!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am happy to report that after watching TV all day, I am not having the freezing or sound dropping today. I'm sure you will know if it starts again. Thank you.
Highlighted
New Poster

Still got it going with espn, nfl network and any live sports. This is absolute bull”stuff”. A tech came out two days in a row and it kept doing it. Twitter support is worthless. This forum has resolved nothing. Why am I paying $140 a month for service I cannot use properly or a sports package that can’t be watched. It’s been like this since I got it. This is absurd and the lack of resolve is even more frustrating. I’ve never had issues with Comcast and always praised them and then when I actually have an issue I see why people have so much negative to say. This is absurd and quite frankly annoying as all “heck”.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Alrighty then, it lasted about a day with out the pausing and freezing. I no longer have the pixelating but now things are intermittenly freezing. I now have a senior tech coming to my house for an appointment. All equipment on my side has been changed out but for some reason people seem to think it is still on my side. NOT! So let's see how this appointment goes.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@MakeESPNwork  Apologies again, looks like a technician was out yesterday.

Are things working better now? The remote tools on our side show some improvement with the signal levels at your home. We have provided a credit on your account for the inconvenience.

Thanks for your patience and persistence. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

@jrspeers 

Apologies again, looks like a technician was out yesterday, the technician noted a degraded cable drop outside the home that was replaced. 

Are things working better now? The remote tools on our side show some improvement with the signal levels at your home. We have provided a credit on your account for the inconvenience.

Thanks for your patience and persistence.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

YES! So far so good but I don't understand why the first technician didn't catch this. Oh well, all is good. Glad I asked for a senior technician. Thank you very much for my credit!