Community Forum

pausing, pixelating, freezing, sound drops for several seconds

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: pausing, pixelating, freezing, sound drops for several seconds

This is happening to me only with CNN. All other news and major networks are fine. Very annoying. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Bethany, CT here and same issue. Brief video and audio freeze of just a second or two. This only started happening over the weekend. Two techs came out yesterday and replaced my STB and redid all my coax connections at pole and on my basement. I installed new HDMI cables too. A senior engineer came out this morning and said my SNR (signal to noise ratio) has some spikes, so he’s having a maintenance tech come out with a bucket truck to check the poles in the neighborhood. I’m only watching CNN HD 1111 if that matters. I’ll keep waiting and hoping the issue gets fixed. And yes, I’ve endured three chats/calls where each service person insisted on doing the “refresh” and “hard reset” of my STB remotely with no improvement; just a waste of time.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Same exact issue with the same group of channels as was decscribed before in Lansdale PA.  They freeze at least 3 times an hour.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Don't even waste your time with refresh and hard resets or having techs come out to check your lines. This is happening all over the country on the Comcast system. There are people on this thread posting the same exact symptoms  from Tennessee, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and I'm in Florida. I've had the issue on and off for at least a month, basically only CNN HD. The same symptoms......basically only CNN HD, 3, 4 or 5 second screen freeeze or herky jerky image and loss of audio then back to normal. Obviously this is some issue with the CNN feed to Comcast or some interface problem. I'm not a techie but it's not your equipment or STB. If you post this same problem here, post what state you're in to track this issue. Wake up Comcast!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem in North Huntingdon, PA.  This is obviously a nation wide Comcast problem with CNN.  They should fix it! 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I just re-read this thread and in addition to the states I listed above I found the CNN HD freeze/pause  for 4 seconds issue posted from people in Detroit Michigan and Seattle Washington so this issue seems to be nationwide.  CNN HD just froze for 4 seconds with audio loss as I was typing this at 6:38 pm, lol. I'm in Florida.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Yup ... I 've posted previously on this thread.  The issue cleared up for a few weeks, but it's definitely some sort of feed/trasnmission issue with CNN and possibly a few other channels that have come back.  I'm just north of Philly and I'm seeing it on my XG1v4 as well as my small DTA box box.  Singal levels are fine.  Friends who use Comcast in other states have been expriencing it as well.  I think with all the attention on the Election and folks watching CNN it's becoming more obvious.

It doesn't seem to be affecting all customers though, which make me think it may have to do with some sort of 'plant' equipment Comcast may be using in certain areas of the country.

Highlighted
New Poster

Several times again today!!!  In Massachusets.

COMCAST are you reading this?  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have been experiencing this exact thing -- CNN HD audio/video freezing (channel 842) for a few seconds and then starting up again -- happening randomly. I'm guessing at least once every 30 minutes or so. It doesn't happen on any other channel (that I watch, anyway).

This happens on both of my TVs. I have the X1 system, so one box is the main/hub box and the other is a secondary/spoke box.

A Comcast tech was out here 1-2 years ago and replaced various filters/splitters (there was a MOCA issue I think). I've had zero problems since then except for this one, which I think started several months ago.

I'm in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Highlighted
New Poster

This happens to me like every 10 minutes on CNN.
Highlighted
Contributor

Happened at 8:36 while Kamala Harris was speaking, anyone else?
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I didn't note the time, but it did happen once while she was speaking.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The one time I called about this issue about a month ago, as soon as the phone tech said "Let's start with a hard set top box reset", I said thanks and hung up. I'm in Florida and people in Seattle have the identical issue and they're advising a box reset? I haven't tried the non HD CNN yet but I may try it to see if it doesn't have this issue. Btw, I use the darker font because I can barely read the default font, light gray on white. Not trying to scream.

Highlighted
New Poster

Yep, same time here during Kamala's speech

Highlighted
New Poster

You should all be happy it did it during Kampala’s speech. Lol just kidding, let’s move on. But anyways Comcast is supposed to be here today and during their call to set up the appointment they said there was “interference” from outside my building. I’ll keep everyone updated on the results and then maybe, just maybe I can enjoy sunday football.
Highlighted
New Poster

Same thing described in this thread is happening to CNN in Atlanta.  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@MakeESPNwork -- "LOL, NOT just kidding":  Please leave your divisive politics out of a forum that's about Xfinity/Comcast internet problems. That shouldn't be too much to ask. And her name is spelled "Kamala" -- K-A-M-A-L-A -- so from now on, you'll know how to spell it correctly.

Back to the actual issue, CNN froze again for me at 8:53am and 9:42am EST. Anyone else experiencing it at those times? 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Still happening to me-CNN- in Chicago  suburbs.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Unbelievable. The entire COUNTRY seems to have this issue and Comcast is sending technicians to check boxes on a pole outside someone's house or splitter connections in someone's living room. They're obviously clueless about what's going on. You'd think after they get the same complaint ...CNN HD, 4 second freeze w/ audio loss... from like 15 states, they'd figure out it's not a set top box refresh issue. Does anyone from Comcast read these forums?

Highlighted
Official Employee

Thanks for the details of your experience, @GadgetBuilder. I'd be happy to investigate this further and help get a tech scheduled if needed. Can you send a private message? To send a private message, click on my name, "ComcastChe," and then click send a message. Please include your first and last name and address. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi everyone. Thanks for visiting us here in the Community. We certainly understand your frustration with the pixelation and audio/video feed quality you're experiencing. We do handle these on a case by case basis and then based on that, we have a department that has the ability of identifying any trends that may be happening locally and determining the cause and/or next steps accordingly. Sometimes the issues can be grouped together and fixed remotely, other times they cannot. Typically for pixelation and issues of that nature, we would need to visit the premise and identify/confirm the source in order to make adjustments and carry out a fix. If anyone would like assistance with scheduling a technician appointment, I would be glad to help.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Misspelled kamala’s name but it was a joke anywhoooo. Don’t take everything so serious.

Comcast came out tonight and so far it’s been working fine. Issue might be if you have a splitter. They put it an amplifier and got rid of the cable splitter. Like I said so far it’s been fine.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

But did you read all the responses, EVERYONE is having a problem with CNN and it appears to be happening at the same times. This needs to be looked at at a higher level. I posted a question this question on another blog and within 10 minutes people replied that it is happening all over.

Can we please get a logical answer as to what is happening here?
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@CambridgeGuy -- if you're in MA and if CNN HD is channel 842, then we're in the same service area. I'm curious if this is happening at the same time for all of us. I'll try to note times when it happens and then post here.

It just happened now, at:

9:34pm

9:51pm

10:09pm

Highlighted
New Poster

This is also happening in New Hampshire. It's been going on for months.

Highlighted
New Poster

Enough with the canned responses, this pausing, freezing problem is all over the country. I'm in Massachusetts and it happens to us, specifically (for us) on CNN. 
We pay enough for this lousy service!! Get us an answer and FIX IT.

Highlighted
New Poster

I have the same issue , Chester Virginia. Called several times , had a technician at my house today to look at it . No results yet. He agrees that the issue may be with Comcast main receiver at their end . . I don’t know why Xfinity couldn’t figure it out yet ?
Highlighted
Official Employee

@Dillinger 

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above.

Pixelation and audio-video dropout issues (freezing) are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

Box swaps, box refreshes and multiple box refreshes may not resolve this issue if there is an underlying local signal issue.

I have asked that someone on our NJ team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

Based on a cursory review of your account, there are some out of spec signal level issues that may be impacting your service (upstream TX power level is out of spec).

A technician visit may be required so that the signal levels can be reviewed and adjusted if necessary. There is no charge if the issue is determined to be with our equipment or originating outside your home.

Thanks for your patience.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@FastDr 

Pixelation and audio-video dropout issues (freezing) are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

Box swaps, box refreshes and multiple box refreshes may not resolve this issue if there is an underlying local signal issue.

I have asked that someone on our CT  team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

A technician visit may be required so that the signal levels can be reviewed and adjusted if necessary. There is no charge if the issue is determined to be with our equipment or originating outside your home.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Seaport11 

I have asked that someone on our DE team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@stereoptic 

I have asked that someone on our MA team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.  The issue is likely not with the cable boxes themselves, it is likely with the cable wiring either inside or outside the home  (that feeds both cable boxes in the home).   

Highlighted
Official Employee

@jrspeers 

I have asked that someone on our OR team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved and your appointment rescheduled.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@tbill1 

I have asked that someone on our IL team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

Highlighted
New Poster

I had a technician visit today . He couldn’t do anything about the issue , stated that it is an issue of a main Comcast receiver at their end and that he will issue a ticket so that xfinity engineers can look into it .
Highlighted
Official Employee

@twx55 

I have asked that someone on our FL team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

Based on a cursory review of your account, there are some out of spec signal level issues impacting your service (moca network).

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It's hopeless. We're just lost in the system, getting robotic apologies. I'm actually avoiding watching CNN HD at this point. It's like a form of chinese water torture waiting for the next picture freeze. That's all I'm thinking about as I watch.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@krusso29 

I have asked that someone on our MA team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@codton 

I have asked that someone on our CT team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I posted earlier in this thread regarding these pauses in Lansdale PA.  I do have a question.  I have a splitter in the basement and one of the lines leading out is not being used.  Can I unscrew that line and put a cap on it to save signal?  If so would it be a 75ohm terminator cap I would need to use?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@aauchjr wrote:

I posted earlier in this thread regarding these pauses in Lansdale PA.  I do have a question.  I have a splitter in the basement and one of the lines leading out is not being used.  Can I unscrew that line and put a cap on it to save signal?  If so would it be a 75ohm terminator cap I would need to use?

Thanks.

Why do you have a splitter at all if you're only using one side of it? But that aside, I doubt that's the problem with CNN.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It's a three way splitter.  One goes to my living room tv, one goes to the phone modem (still in use) and one to my sons room which isn't being used now.  So I want to cap off the one split to save signal.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@ComcastTeds wrote: @Brocktoon ... Pixelation and audio-video dropout issues (freezing) are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. ...

Ted, I'm seeing the same thing in South Central PA. My service includes CNN, AMC, Comedy Central, Hallmark, and E! channels. All of them are on carried on 339 MHz on the local system, but only CNN is displaying these periodic brief audio/video dropouts. It's been happening for at least a week.

Tivo Roamio diagnostics show a strong signal with good SNR and with zero Corrected and zero Uncorrected errors, suggesting that the problem is not local.

Highlighted
Contributor

I'm starting to think this isn't Comcast either, a Google search shows the same complaints on multiple cable and satellite providers.

Comcast people - could this be CNN's fed to you?
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi @jbrady33,

It's a possibility. My team can investigate your issues to help determine the cause and work with you until we get this fixed. Please send a private message with your full name and service address as it appears on your billing statement. To send a message, click on my name "ComcastChe," then click send a message.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Sorry you're still experiencing freezing with your picture and sound. If you aren't able to reschedule the appointment on your end, me or a member of my team can and will continue to follow up with you in a private message until we confirm it's actually resolved. If you're open to working with us, I want to help by taking an in-depth look at your premise signals and the health of your node. I'll also check for any signal leakage in your area that would be causing this. 

Can you send a private message? To send a private message, click on my name, "ComcastChe," and then click send a message. Please include your first and last name and address. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Today, I have had CNN on for the past three hours. This is the first time in months that the freezing has not happened. This is after first contributing to this blog a few days ago and contacting CNN. I will see what happens over the next few days. Something has changed outside of my home and I hope it sticks. Thanks.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have also noticed that today, for the first time in weeks,  there have been no audio interruptions or pixelation.  Hopefully the problem has been corrected.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I also noticed CNN HD seemed OK today. Did not see any  4 second freeze all day but I was not on the channel for an extended period of time. Hopefully this has been resolved though it cleared up once before and then returned. Fingers crossed.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@CambridgeGuy - I noticed the same thing. CNN HD hasn't frozen at all in the past few days, for the first time in ages.

Highlighted
New Poster

I agree. I haven’t seen It freeze at all lately. Hopefully the problem is fixed. Just a shot in the dark here, but I wonder if it’s because the channel was being viewed by huge numbers of customers? Now that the election is over, I’m guessing the number of people watching CNN has gone down a bit. No scientific evidence here, just a theory!