Community Forum

pausing, pixelating, freezing, sound drops for several seconds

Highlighted
Contributor

pausing, pixelating, freezing, sound drops for several seconds

2nd attempt

MODERATORS - please don't move/delete this again as "unhelpful" , I am still having this issue and hoping for advice of resolution form the Comcast employees on the board

Several channels on all TVs in the house have pausing, pixelating, freezing, sound drops for several seconds.  CNN (817) and the music channels (429, 427, 428) for sure

This happens several times an hour and is really annoying an interruptive.

We had this once before a few years ago, it took like 9 months to close the ticket,   Several tech visits, lots of resets, all splitters and cable ends replaced, all boxes replaced.  A service manager with a fancy meter tested our house, let us know it was NOT in our home but somewhere in the Comcast network, probably locally to our area,   He called a few weeks later and said that equipment/cabling locally was replaced or repaired and it fixed several long running issues.

So my questions:

Is anyone else having this?

Is there any way to request the ’local area’ to be checked or whatever like the manager did without going through the months of site visits and phone support first?  We are in Elkton MD

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: pausing, pixelating, freezing, sound drops for several seconds

@ComcastTeds @ComcastNick @ComcastMorgan 

Also - is it possible to get the box in front of th ehouse / amplifier / filter or whatever checked without doing an in-home visit?  (Covid social distancing and all that)

Thanks!

Highlighted
Official Employee

@jbrady33 

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above.

Pixelation and audio-video dropout issues are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

Box swaps, box refreshes and multiple box refreshes may not resolve this issue if there is an underlying local signal issue.

I have asked that someone on our Maryland team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

A technician visit may be required so that the signal levels can be reviewed and adjusted if necessary. There is no charge if the issue is determined to be with our equipment or originating outside your home.

Thanks for your patience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Once again @ComcastTeds is the hero  🙂

Thanks for picking this up!  Let me know if you need anything from me

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This has been happening to me for sometime now also. I have also had a tech come to my house and redo everything on Comcast end. I already had swapped out my dvr box and have a new tv. The pixelating had stopped but the freezing and sound stopping keeps going on.  

On a recent visit to my friends house in another city, I noticed her tv does this also. She mentioned this is also VERY annoying and said she needs to contact Comcast also. 

So this issure cannot be just a regional thing, can it?? 

I wish I knew how to resolve this issure because it IS very frustrating and have tried to get to technical support to find answers but the robot lady will not let me through. 

PLEASE Comcast, fix this issure!

Highlighted
Official Employee

@jrspeers 

Pixelation and audio-video dropout issues are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

Box swaps, box refreshes and multiple box refreshes may not resolve this issue if there is an underlying local signal issue.

I have asked that someone on our Oregon team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

A technician visit may be required so that the signal levels can be reviewed and adjusted if necessary. There is no charge if the issue is determined to be with our equipment or originating outside your home.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

We are having the same problem in Old Lyme, Connecticut, noticeably CNN (1111).
Highlighted
New Poster

Yes having these issues on and off for sometime now. It's on a handful of channels, the problem seems to go away on non HD channels. We're in the Detroit viewing area

Highlighted
Expert

the last two replies need to contact (800-Comcast) technical support to arrange for a premise entrance tech test to ensure the signal is good coming to your home. What you both describe is bad signal on multiple channel frequencies.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Official Employee

@gary.novick 

Pixelation and audio-video dropout issues are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

I have asked that someone on our Connecticut team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@dn4cir 

Pixelation and audio-video dropout issues are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

I have asked that someone on our Michigan team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

This may be related to a potential issue on Comcast's end that I've been troubleshooting over the past week or so.  This may not be unique to the X1 platform but something going on with the downstream linear TV signal from Comcast.

I noticed a week or so ago that CNN's audio/video was freezing a few times an hour ... not pixelating, but the audio and video were freezing every 10 to 20 minutes.  This was happening on both my XG1v4 box and my non X1 HD-DTA.  I eventually noticed that this was happening on a few other channels such as Comedy Central and AMC.

I know how to check the diagnostics and signal levels on my equipment and noticed they were all occuring on the same frequency.  Comcast compresses groups of channels onto single frequencies.  In my area just north of Philly, Frequency 309 MHz contains ...

CNN

AMC

MTV

MTV Live

VH1

Comedy Central

Hallmark

E!

FreeForm

Golf

All of the channels seeing the freezing audio/video are in this block.  I've checked the signal strength on my various equipment and the levels look fine on my end ... downstream power around -1 to +1, and SNR >40.

My neighbors are seeing the same thing with various equipment, AND I checked with a friend in NJ (next state over) and they are also seeing the same thing.

I'm not sure if everyone across the country are running these channels on 309 MHz, but I think this may be related to the feed coming from Comcast and possibly the equipment/software they are using to compress this specific block of channels?

I'm hearing of enough people in various areas of the country that may be seeing this ... if it's possibly isolated to the block of channels I listed, then this may not be a singal/noise issue in the 'plant' but some sort of engineering issue.

Highlighted
Expert

@Brocktoon wrote:

This may be related to a potential issue on Comcast's end that I've been troubleshooting over the past week or so.  This may not be unique to the X1 platform but something going on with the downstream linear TV signal from Comcast.

I noticed a week or so ago that CNN's audio/video was freezing a few times an hour ... not pixelating, but the audio and video were freezing every 10 to 20 minutes.  This was happening on both my XG1v4 box and my non X1 HD-DTA.  I eventually noticed that this was happening on a few other channels such as Comedy Central and AMC.

I know how to check the diagnostics and signal levels on my equipment and noticed they were all occuring on the same frequency.  Comcast compresses groups of channels onto single frequencies.  In my area just north of Philly, Frequency 309 MHz contains ...

CNN

AMC

MTV

MTV Live

VH1

Comedy Central

Hallmark

E!

FreeForm

Golf

All of the channels seeing the freezing audio/video are in this block.  I've checked the signal strength on my various equipment and the levels look fine on my end ... downstream power around -1 to +1, and SNR >40.

My neighbors are seeing the same thing with various equipment, AND I checked with a friend in NJ (next state over) and they are also seeing the same thing.

I'm not sure if everyone across the country are running these channels on 309 MHz, but I think this may be related to the feed coming from Comcast and possibly the equipment/software they are using to compress this specific block of channels?

I'm hearing of enough people in various areas of the country that may be seeing this ... if it's possibly isolated to the block of channels I listed, then this may not be a singal/noise issue in the 'plant' but some sort of engineering issue.

please check the post just before your post here by @ComcastTeds 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Official Employee

@Brocktoon 

Pixelation and audio-video dropout issues (freezing) are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

I have asked that someone on our Pennsylvania team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved. I've also alerted our national engineering and operations team on this experience for that team's additional monitoring.  

Highlighted
New Poster

I have this issue with ESPN and ESPN only. It skips, freezes and lags. All of my cables are in tight. Brand new box (less than a week old), brand new Samsung TV and all brand news coax and hdmi cables. Incredibly annoying.
Highlighted
Official Employee

@MakeESPNwork 

Pixelation and audio-video dropout issues (freezing) are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

I have asked that someone on our Florida team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved. 

Based on a cursory review of your account, there are some definite signal level issues impacting your service.  

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Thank you very much for your reply and I appriciate that you were able to forward along my concern.  I was contacted by a local rep today.

I wouldn't consider the issue I'm seeing as major, and I'm still trying to troubleshoot from my end to provide the best information to Comcast.  But hopefully any information I can provide may help to get to the root cause of the issue.

I can say that today is the 1st day in atleast a week that I haven't seeing the freezing issue occuring.  It could be a coicidence, but I'm wondering if it may have even been resolved today?  I'll continue to monitor to see if it comes back

Thanks again

Highlighted
New Poster

Won’t be holding my breath. Brand new service and can’t wait to see how much I’m swindled on a tech visit for service on all brand new equipment and accessories.
Highlighted
Official Employee

@MakeESPNwork 

Sounds like in your case the issue may be outside of your home. There is no charge if the issue is determined to be with our equipment or originating outside your home.

Highlighted
New Poster

I am having the same issue in the Seattle area on CNN HD, and I also have the issue when using xfinity stream, watching CNN HD
Highlighted
Contributor

Comcast Gurus on this thread - is it possible this is a wide spread on the source end of things issue?   Not even Comcast but the feed they are seding you?  Several people on here have similar complaints, and a quick google search shows people on multiple cable and satellite providers with the same compliant.

And to be more accurate – I shouldn’t have said pixelating, the others are correct that it is really a freeze in picture and sound, then jump to a few seconds later.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I am not sure where you are but we are having a bunch of pixelation and audio dropouts here in Hermitage, TN. I first talked to my neighbor across the street and he is also been having these issues for over a week now like me. Then someone started a thread on nextdoor and neighborhoods all around me are having the same issue. I am getting tired of the pad answer "An outage has been detected in your area" . I have signed up for the text for when the outage has been cleared. After I get that it still is not cleared. Very frustrating for me and everyone around here.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Same problem here, also in Hermitage, TN.  Yesterday's football game was almost unwatchable and not only because the Titans played so poorly! Problem here is primarily with the local channels.  It has gotten worse since the last two "planned outtages" in this area.  We are also seeing very brief intermittant outtages of our internet connection.  When logging on to "my account" it will oftewn report cannot connect to yout device".  Refreshing the page usually results in "everything looks ok".

Highlighted
Official Employee

@GadgetBuilder 

Pixelation and audio-video dropout issues (freezing) are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

I have asked that someone on our TN team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

Based on a cursory review of your account, there are some out of spec signal level issues impacting your service.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@jandj 

I have asked that someone on our TN team review your account so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

Highlighted
New Poster

The problem appears to have been resolved here, somewhere upstream from our house. Either a Comcast or CNN issue.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

To get an idea of what signal levels my TVs would be getting I log into my model gateway at 10.0.0.1 and go to connections - Xfinity Network and look at the downstream SNR on all the channels.

Right now those are all around 40. The other day when my neighbor and I were having the really bad issues they were between 25 and 30. I am curious what they will be around 5PM today when the problem seems to be the worst each day.

Highlighted
New Poster

Uh oh - starting to freeze again on CNN yesterday.
Highlighted
Contributor

same here!   was ok for a while, doing it last night and this morning

Highlighted
Official Employee

@gary.novick  Apologies, the recommendation provided earlier still is valid. 

My understanding is that the offer of a technician visit earlier was refused. 

Please reach out if you would like to get a technician visit scheduled. 

Highlighted
Contributor

@ComcastTeds  - don't you think it is odd that different peol;el in differnt parts of the country are having the same issue at the same time?

Highlighted
New Poster

More diagnostic than odd.
Please fix your little problem, Xfinity.
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Not odd at all, for a handful of people to have the same type of problem out of millions of customers, it happens , and most end up getting a tech out for a fix.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

more info:  had regular TV up at the same time as streaming CNN on tablet, appear to freeze at the same time

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Mine got better night before last with the downstream SNR numbers around 40.

Last night the pixalating and sound dropping was back while the SNR number remained at 40.

Highlighted
New Poster

Interesting
Highlighted
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same issue. For about the last month+, specifically CNN (NJ, ch 817) will freeze (sound and pic) intermittently for a couple of seconds. I can't predict any pattern. I can't recall seeing the issue on other channels or using 3rd party apps through Comcast. It's curious many are reporting similar issues with these specific block of channels when searching forums.
Highlighted
Contributor

I don't ever recall it happening during a commercial either, does anyone else? (could be my imagination)
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I live in Danbury, Connecticut and am having the same issue with audio/visual freeze noted by others on this thread.  I did look at SNRs through the gateway and for that snapshot time all we’re around 40-41.  FYI

Highlighted
New Poster

Having the same issue (Lewes, DE) for several months now, only on CNN.
May be on other channels, have not checked.
Highlighted
New Poster

We are having the same issue with CNN in the house here in Cape Cod MA.  It is on both TVs, each is in a different room, and each is a different box, so I seriously doubt that it is an issue with our equipment (as Comcast posted several times above) especially since several others on the forum here have the same exact issue with CNN.  Also, I have had my external and internal connections by Xfinity within the last year or so due to other issues, so I feel secure that my incoming signal is good. Thanks for looking into this.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

So I had my appointment all set up and needed to reschedule which I did. Then something else came up and I needed to reschedule again and your system wouldn't let me reschedule again and I tried everyway I could think of to try to reschedule. So I finally got so mad that I canceled my inhome appointment. Do I need you to link me up for this follow up appointment or can I schedule. Will the right person come out? I think you need to instigate so the right person is put on this and you receive the feedback. When i call I have to start from scratch and tell the whole story over and it gets frustrating. Thank you very much for your attention to this matter. I still have freezing with picture and sound not only on CNN but on some of my recordings also. I wonder how much I've missed?? LOL!

JRSpeers

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Having issues described above on CNN (216) in Chicago area.  Lasts for a couple of seconds a few times an hour.

Happening on multiple boxes.

Highlighted
New Poster

Same here in eastern CT. Both boxes.
Highlighted
New Poster

OK, so it just happened again on Friday November 6, 2020 at about 1:35 PM.

I am using an LG TV, if the brand of TV may somehow be involved in the issue.  Maybe keeping a log here of times will help Xfinity research the issue instead of cutting and pasting boilerplate responses.

Highlighted
New Poster

again at 1:45PM!

Highlighted
Contributor

been pretty bad on and off in MD today as well

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue with Comcast in South Florida. Mainly CNN, momentary pause and loss of sound for maybe 3  or 4 seconds. Was bad for a month, then stopped for a week so I thought it was resolved, then started again on Nov 3 election night just as I turned on CNN. Just like someone above posted. I'm not even bothering to call Comcast because it seems to be happening on CNN all over the country so it's not my equipment or cable. I hope Comcast is aware of this issue.

Highlighted
New Poster

I have been having this issue for over a week always on CNN. We have been doing resets and all that and nothing helps.
Highlighted
New Poster

Same issue on CNN only in Eastern Connecticut. I anticipate as they announce the next President of the United States it will freeze up and I will be left to wonder for five seconds. Lol