Community Forum

Xfinity Watchathon Week 2020

Highlighted
Administrator

Xfinity Watchathon Week 2020

Watchathon-Logo-Black.jpg

Starting Monday, May 11, 2020 and continuing through Sunday, May 17, 2020, the biggest week in television history is back!

If you’re an Xfinity TV customer with access to Xfinity On Demand, watch thousands of episodes from TV’s top networks, premium channels and subscription On Demand services. Catch up on series like HBO®’s Westworld, SHOWTIME®’s Billions and Hulu's The Handmaid's Tale! Learn more from Get Ready for Watchathon Week 2020 on Xfinity and Get Ready for Watchathon on Xfinity Flex on the Xfinity Hub.

Not an Xfinity TV customer, but have Xfinity service and an Xfinity ID and password? You can still watch a special selection of series from Hulu and full access to On Demand networks like STARZ, EPIX, Hitz, HBO, Cinemax, History Vault, Acorn TV, Anime Network, Pantaya and more with the Xfinity Stream online portal and app!

For more information, see How to Watch Xfinity Watchathon Week 2020.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Watchathon Week 2020

Sketchy details for Watchathon Week 2020 May 11-17 are available at https://www.xfinity.com/hub/free-tv-movies/get-ready-for-watchathon-2020 and https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/xfinity-watchathon-week-may-11-17-free-tv-shows-and-mov.... Although neither link spells it out, free content like Watchathon is typically only available On Demand and through special links in the Stream app and on https://www.xfinity.com/stream/, not on the standard numbered channels.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Watchathon May 11-17 2020

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/xfinity-watchathon-week-may-11-17-free-tv-shows-and-mov...

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Watchathon Week 2020

Do I remember correctly with past Watchathon's that each day Comcast offered what would normally be a movie to buy, for free?  I was curious if that was being continued.

Also, do I understand correctly that it is NOT every movie and TV show on the included channels/networks that is included but instead, only selected ones?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

It's up to the network what they will make available.

Highlighted
Contributor

Right, as everything is always up to someone else, but it's days away and no one knows?

Highlighted
Contributor

i read about the Watchaton a couple days ago and it sounds like a lot of fuss to me that might not be to the advantage of the Comcast customer

does this mean all movies & tv series on networks like HBO, Showtime, Starz, Epix will be available?

or only limited availabilty and maybe on in SD, not HD?

if someone can answer these questions that would help tremendously

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

First, it's only through OnDemand, not the linear channels you tune into.

Second, what is available depends on the network. Some open up their full catalog, others may only offer a few series or episodes of a series. I've never seen it limited to just SD.

Highlighted
Expert

"Watchathon Week" on regular Cable box.

The "Watchathon' can be found on the: On Demand menu listed as "Watchathon". No need for voice use. Works fine for me today.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Contributor

now that is has been a couple days i have to admit the 2020 Watchathon is a tremendous deal for customers. I don't subscribe to STARZ but i see a lot of available TV shows and films that are now free. thank you because there has been programming on STARZ i have not seen because i am not a subscriber

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Watchathon Week 2020

Trying to figure out to get notified when Watchathon is available. . 

Highlighted
Administrator

@dcb716 wrote:

Trying to figure out to get notified when Watchathon is available. . 

@dcb716 

Xfinity Watchathon Week 2020 began Monday, May 11, 2020, and continues through Sunday, May 17, 2020.  Additional information about this year's Watchathon Week can be found in the first post on this thread. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or need anything else. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

nothing is free. i get prompted to subscribe to premium cgannel for show. what is the purpise of watchathon if you have to pay
Highlighted
Official Employee

@ritadefil 

We offer tons of free movies available every day: 

https://www.xfinity.com/hub/free-tv-movies/watch-at-home-free-preview

Xfinity customers can now access a selection of free programming spanning kids educational content, fitness and TV & movies via Xfinity On Demand including on X1 and the Xfinity Stream app and web portal and also on Flex by saying “Free” into the Xfinity Voice Remote.

To see what shows are available to you today and any time for free, just say “Free” into your Xfinity Voice Remote.

Plus Watchathon underway now through May 17, 2020.  Enjoy!

https://www.xfinity.com/hub/free-tv-movies/get-ready-for-watchathon-2020

Looks like you were able to enjoy a few free movies already during Watchathon. 

I've credited back your recent On Demand movie purchases in full and I have also applied a credit on your account that will cover a few additional On Demand movie rentals with our compliments.

What is Watchathon Week?

Watchathon Week is an annual event for Xfinity customers when many of the hottest TV shows and movies on demand are available all week long at no additional cost. Xfinity customers can tune in via X1, Flex, or Xfinity Stream to catch popular series, movies, and more from May 11 – 17.

What can I watch during Xfinity Watchathon Week?

Everyone has a show to recommend, and from May 11 – 17 you can enjoy free access to many of the most popular shows and movies from, SHOWTIME®, STARZ®, HBO® and, for the first time ever, Hulu! Catch hit series like The Handmaid’s Tale, Westworld, Billions, Outlander, and more all week long at no additional cost to you.

Looking to make it a movie night? During Watchathon Week you can also catch some of the latest hit films, like Joker (available beginning May 16), It: Chapter 2, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and many, many more.

Don’t have X1? You can also watch with Flex and Xfinity Stream, no TV subscription required. Learn more about watching on Flex here.

If you’re ready to watch, just say “Watchathon” into your Xfinity Voice Remote and enjoy some of the hottest shows and movies on demand all week long at no additional cost to you.

*Content availability may vary across Xfinity TV platforms (X1, Flex, and the Xfinity Stream app and portal). Of note, the full SHOWTIME service will be available on Xfinity on Demand and the Xfinity Stream app and portal for only a portion of the event from May 14 – 17.

Highlighted
New Poster

I don't understand why those of use with the lower cost cable options can't watch the "Watchathon" on tv anymore...it's like a slap in the face..."you don't count because you're not paying us enough money, so we aren't going to worry about your ability to watch premium channels becuase we know you will never pay extra for them". <Edited> It always used to be that these channels were "unlocked" for a short time and we could see something different. Thats especially important in this day and age...please don't tell me to watch on my computer--it's not the same thing.

Frankly, I don't understand why anyone wants to watch on a much smaller screen!! Please send this to the powers that be and beg them to increase their generosity to us low-income folks. Thank you

Highlighted
Administrator

@Sarathena 

We sincerely apologize for the confusion. Xfinity Watchathon Week 2020 content is available to all customers via Xfinity On Demand either on your Xfinity television box, Xfinity Flex box or Xfinity Stream. All the details related to how to watch content for Xfinity Watchathon Week 2020 is available here https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/how-to-watch-watchathon

Highlighted
New Poster

I don't have xfinity on demand, I don't have any sort of "box"...I just have a tv...what you're talking about is a more costly form of cable that I cannot afford...So, again I ask "Why does Comcast/Xfinity no longer "unlock" the premium channels for the lenght of time the promotion runs? I dont see this as an unreasonable request--they used to do it all the time.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Just how are you watching Comcast TV? Are you using a CableCard device?

Highlighted
Official Employee

@andyross  This customer has a DTA device which doesn't have the technology for On Demand or for premium channels.   

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

is Starz no longer part of the watchathon  or has something changed with Starz during the Watchathon ? I was able to watch shows on demand on Starz on Tuesday, but beginning on Wednesday, it prompts me to subscribe to the channel of $8.99 per month. I had paused an episode of Outlander (S05E02) and was able to resume that and play it to the end, but when I went to episode 3, I ran into a subscription pay wall.

Bad enough that t was dropped with basically no warnigng as a channel and he cost of my package did not go down, and it was replaced with channels broadcasting 1950s and 1960s movies.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@rovingIT  Hmm, not sure what's happening with that and we are taking a look to see what's up.  

In the meantime though, I want you to be able to see the rest of that series so go ahead and order Starz.

I applied a credit to your account that will cover a few months of Starz with our compliments. Enjoy!  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@ComcastTeds  - appreciate the very quick response here and also the extra step of the credit for Starz. Truly appreciated !
while you investigate, I did do some extra testing, and everything else is working fine. have been able to access Hulu (never had a subsctiption).

I did also note, the issue I see wiht Starz happend on the stream app  (andorid, roku and LG tv) as well as the X1 boxes in the house.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@Sarathena wrote: ... "Why does Comcast/Xfinity no longer "unlock" the premium channels for the lenght of time the promotion runs? I dont see this as an unreasonable request--they used to do it all the time.

I don't know why they don't unlock premium numbered channels, but it's been many years since they've done that. As stated previously, free preview content like Watchathon is typically only available On Demand and through special links in the Stream app and on https://www.xfinity.com/stream/, not on the standard numbered channels.

Highlighted
Official Employee

A few comments  and clarifications - most all of our video customers have the equipment to watch On Demand either via a cable box or via Xfinity Stream or Flex.   

For traditional video, a digital cable box is required to view premium channels on our platforms in 2020 and anyone with a digital cable box has access to free previews On Demand when they are offered. 

Customers that only have DTA's (Digital Television Adapters -  available at a reduced monthly cost)  unfortunately do not have access to premium channels or On Demand programming due to the technology .  

Most all of our video providers/programming partners actually prefer or require On Demand only for Free Previews and Watchathon  - that way they can offer a lot more of their vast programming library on our customer's schedule as opposed to the network's limited linear schedule (what's in it for them).

This gives our customers the choice to find and watch the programs that they want, when they want and also allows for more exposure and discovery for our programming partners.  

Most all video consumed in 2020 is On Demand (in some shape or form) on our customer's schedule. Having the free previews only available On Demand also allows for a clean consistent message to our customers and encourages customers to sample multiple programs on their schedule.  

I certainly understand that some customers may prefer the linear free previews of yesterday, but that's just not how the majority of people (our customers and non-customers) prefer to consume video today. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This Watchathon is great, but I'm desperately trying to get through Handmaid's Tale before it ends. What time tomorrow does it end, Eastern Time? Midnight? I'm already paying for the highest tier of cable service you have (I think), and I can't afford to add a Hulu subscription to that, especially right now with the way things are, but I don't think I can make it through, even if it goes until midnight (and definitely not if it ends earlier than that). 😞

Highlighted
New Poster

SYFY supposed to be included but Harry Potter movies are scrambled. Why?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Note that according to the several days I that I have contacted Xfinity support including Jay Almyr - Watchathon "IS NOT be available via Roku if you only have internet service."

"It is not available on Roku 'because it is a Beta service'."

"Only tablet computer and phone allows Watchathon with internet service."

Highlighted
New Poster

I am wondering why the watchathon ended early? It is only 8:30 pm and I no longer have access to any of the watchathon shows or movies... A bit of false advertising? It is supposed to be through the 17th, am I wrong? 🤷🏻‍♀️
Highlighted
New Poster

Why is HBO no longer working? It is 5/17 and I can't finish watching Joker. 

Highlighted
New Poster

@ComcastTeds

I attempted to log in and watch some free content this week as part of your heavily promoted Watchathon event. Everything I attempted asked for me to pay or sign up for a pay subscription. I tried the two prominent big ticket movies you show in the advertising campaign touting this promotion (Joker and Once upon a time in Hollywood) as well as the new Jurassic Park. None of them work. This alleged free content all required payment.

I am with the previous poster ... why promote free content when its not free? This is false advertising.
Highlighted
New Poster

It wasn’t available to me for free on my Flex device. It requires subscriptions. See my previous post. I spent a lot of time trying to get this to work and it didn’t. Why promote free content when it’s not free?
Highlighted
Official Employee

@Lagil  The first month of Hulu is currently free on X1.

Say "Hulu" into the Voice Remote or access Hulu via the X1 app section and check out the details on the screen. Sign up and get the first month for free.

Just cancel before the first month is completed. Check the details on the screen. Enjoy. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

@mguncheon 

We sincerely apologize for the confusion. Xfinity Watchathon Week 2020 content was  available to all customers via Xfinity On Demand either on your Xfinity television box, Xfinity Flex box or Xfinity Stream.

All the details related to how to watch content for Xfinity Watchathon Week 2020 is available here 
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/how-to-watch-watchathon

That being said, we did apply an additional credit on your account to accommodate for any confusion we may have caused and the poor experience. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

@crazymare  Apologies, not sure what happened there. We provided some credit on your account to cover the rental of these movies on your schedule. Thanks for your patience and apologies again.   

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Lindsda66 Apologies, not sure what happened there. We provided some credit on your account to cover a few months of HBO, Starz Showtime or another premium service - the choice is yours.

Thanks for your patience and apologies again. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

@monellelewis  Apologies, not sure what happened there. We provided some credit on your account to cover the rental of this movie (and some others) on your schedule.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@chcallander Apologies, not sure what happened there. We provided some additional credit on your account to cover the rental of these movies on your schedule. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, @ComcastTed, but I don't have an X1 box upstairs where I watch (I have an old series 2 TiVo that requires that I use an older box.) I watched Hulu through my Roku, using Xfinity Stream. I guess I can check whether I can get that deal on my Roku (via the Hulu app), although free trials always make me nervous that I'll forget to cancel in time!

Thanks for responding through!

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Lagil  Looks like first month of Hulu free is a pretty wide offer across many platforms. 

Free trial available for new and eligible returning subscribers only.

Just set a calendar reminder on your phone or a note on a physical calendar so you don't forget.