Community Forum

WAIVE MOVIE RENTAL FEES DURING COVID-19

Highlighted
New Poster

WAIVE MOVIE RENTAL FEES DURING COVID-19

Since Xfinity isn't losing a penny on this virus outbreak, you'd think they'd waive movie rental fees while we're all stuck at home.

Highlighted
New Poster

COVID-19 Shutdowns

It would be great PR for Xfinity to offer some of its popular movies free for the next two/three weeks as a gesture of support for the millions of people in lockdown due to the COVID-19 virus.

Highlighted
New Poster

National Pandemic

Given the large number of Virginians hunkered down at home to help contain spread of COVID-19, it would be a huge public service if Comcast offered new theatrical movies for home viewing at no or reduced cost. At the moment, we're all extra-dependent on cable tv to navigate the long days at home. Shouldn't Comcast consider this move, especially given the steps so many other companies are taking to support their customers during these trying times?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: National Pandemic

That is a decision to be made by movie producers / owners of the shows. Comcast cannot do that for movies not offered to them for showing.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

FREE ON-DEMAND MOVIES FOR DURATION OF NATIONAL QUARANTINE.

During the Coronavirus pandemic can comcast/xfinity make all on demand movies free.  The country is quarantined and hostage to our televisions.  Maybe set up a free movie a week or 5 free movies a month until the national quarantine is lifted. The best would be totally free for the duration.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Corona Virus Quarantine Suggestion

I thought it would be a nice gesture for Xfinity/Comcast to get together with HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz to provide your customers with FREE premium movie channels for the duration of the Stay Home Presidential Order. There's going to be a lot of home television watching in the next couple of month. Many of us have lost our jobs and are stuck at home due to the presidential order to shut down restaurants and other gathering places.
Highlighted
New Poster

COVID-19

With so many of us being forced to stay home to shelter in place and some of us may lose livelihoods. Do you think Comcast/Xfinity that you could provide more FREE movies now during this crisis when so many are at home and do your part to share in the relief?
Highlighted
Expert

Re: COVID-19

@gunsaljm wrote:
With so many of us being forced to stay home to shelter in place and some of us may lose livelihoods. Do you think Comcast/Xfinity that you could provide more FREE movies now during this crisis when so many are at home and do your part to share in the relief?

Comcast is doing their part to share in the relief.  FWIW, they can't give free movies unless the networks provide them.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

So you're giving me a discount while I'm out of work? If not then tell me exactly what Comcast/Xfinity is doing to share in the relief?
Highlighted
New Poster

I read it. Sounds like I might actually get the internet speed I've been paying for all these years. At least a little better cause it is horrible!
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: FREE ON-DEMAND MOVIES FOR DURATION OF NATIONAL QUARANTINE.

There are already thousands of free movies available

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Really, thousands???  Where, unless you mean the ones from the 40's to the 80's. 

Nothing current is free. 

In fact I just looked at the excerise section and it is not free during this quarantine

Diamond Problem Solver

Free is free, I didn’t state the content. And it wasn’t asked by the OP. Nothing current is going to be free by any provider.

Highlighted
Administrator

**UPDATED 04/09/2020 - Frequently Asked Questions**

**UPDATED 03/27/2020 - Additional Resources**

All,

With so many of our customers confined to their homes during this difficult time period, we have worked with our various programming partners to make extra content available. Simply say "Free" into your Xfinity Voice Remote for available content. Even without a television subscription, you will have access to select content via the Xfinity Stream Website and App. All you need is your Xfinity ID and password to access Xfinity Stream via the app or online portal. Please note that much of this free content is only available during certain window periods. 

Thank you all or your feedback. Any additional updates to this information will be shared here. 

Additional Resources:

https://www.xfinity.com/hub/free-tv-movies/watch-at-home-free-preview

Frequently Asked Questions:

I went to live stream a specific show or a specific network and it wasn't available. Why?
The majority of the free previews are On Demand only. There are a few networks with live streams available, please see https://www.xfinity.com/hub/free-tv-movies/watch-at-home-free-preview for additional information on availability.

Will live TV and/or Xfinity On Demand streaming on the Xfinity Stream app or web portal count against my Xfinity Internet data usage plan?
All data cap plans have been paused for 60 days. If you have a traditional data usage plan, you will not be charged additionally for going over.

I don't have an Xfinity TV subscription but am an Xfinity Internet ( or Xfinity Home, etc.) subscriber. Am I able to watch any content during the free preview window?
All you need is your Xfinity ID and password to access Xfinity Stream via the app or online portal. Please note that much of this content is only available during certain window periods. See https://www.xfinity.com/hub/free-tv-movies/watch-at-home-free-preview for free preview dates.

How do I find the content available to me during the free preview?
Log onto the Xfinity Stream portal or download the app and sign in with your Xfinity ID and password. You’ll see the content available to you.

Can the content be viewed out of home?
Some of the content can be viewed out of the home.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Cornoavirus "free entertainment channels" won't work

I got an email from Comcast/Xfinity: "More entertainment content is now available for you to watch for free: We have worked with our partners to provide a range of additional free content to keep you entertained while you're at home [Stay-inPlace CON-19 pandemic]. You can find it by saying "Free" into your Xfinity Voice Remote." So... I say "FREE" into my Xfinity Voice Remote and up pops  Showtime, History Vault, Curiosity Stream, etc. and says I can watch free until April 9 due to pandemic. However, when I select Showtime, History Vault, etc. it says I must subscribe. What's the deal? Don't email me to say you will help those of us stuck at home for weeks by offering help with free channels and then don't? I can I get the Free channels you said I can get?

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Cornoavirus "free entertainment channels" won't work

@rlteed wrote:

I got an email from Comcast/Xfinity: "More entertainment content is now available for you to watch for free: We have worked with our partners to provide a range of additional free content to keep you entertained while you're at home [Stay-inPlace CON-19 pandemic]. You can find it by saying "Free" into your Xfinity Voice Remote." So... I say "FREE" into my Xfinity Voice Remote and up pops  Showtime, History Vault, Curiosity Stream, etc. and says I can watch free until April 9 due to pandemic. However, when I select Showtime, History Vault, etc. it says I must subscribe. What's the deal? Don't email me to say you will help those of us stuck at home for weeks by offering help with free channels and then don't? I can I get the Free channels you said I can get?

@rlteed 

Have you tried resetting your television boxes by unplugging them for 1 minute and then plugging them back in? If so, is this still happening? 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Programming

During this COVID health crisis where many of us are under mandatory stay at home orders, wouldn’t it be great if Comcast and other providers offered free on demand movies for a limited time. Just a thought.
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Programming

It would be and it is
Here ya go
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/WAIVE-MOVIE-RENTAL-FEES-DURING-COVID-19/m-p/3315967#U...

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: WAIVE MOVIE RENTAL FEES DURING COVID-19

Verizon giving free 15 GB till April 30 and restaurants giving free delivery etc BUT what is Xfinity giving back to the community during this crisis..............Nothing, Zilch, zero

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: National Pandemic

They could give HBO and Showtime etc. free to those that do not have it for at least till the end of April

Highlighted
Expert

@maxlow123 wrote:

Verizon giving free 15 GB till April 30 and restaurants giving free delivery etc BUT what is Xfinity giving back to the community during this crisis..............Nothing, Zilch, zero

Comcast's Covid-19 Response

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Programming

@dscomer wrote:
During this COVID health crisis where many of us are under mandatory stay at home orders, wouldn’t it be great if Comcast and other providers offered free on demand movies for a limited time. Just a thought.

With so many of our customers confined to their homes during this difficult time period, we have worked with our various programming partners to make extra content available. Simply say "Free" into your Xfinity Voice Remote for available content. Even without a television subscription, you will have access to select content via the Xfinity Stream Website and App. All you need is your Xfinity ID and password to access Xfinity Stream via the app or online portal. Please note that much of this free content is only available during certain window periods. 

Thank you all or your feedback. Any additional updates to this information will be shared here. 

Additional Resources:

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Exactly.... I tried requesting the channel and it won't let me view, however Verizon is offering free channel lineup

Highlighted
New Poster

COVID-19

You'd think with this virus impacting the world and a stay at home order, the cable companies would work with these big money scumbags like HBO, Starz, Showtime and Cinemax to offer free services for the next month. Money hungry and just worried about taking money from the poor is all you get. I hope people cancel their services with the all the above during this time!

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

You have no idea what you’re talking about
Nothing to do with Comcast but
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/hbo-free-stream-sopran...

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Jeannes8503 Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I went ahead and sent a refresh signal to your cable boxes to see if that resolves the issue.

Are you seeing an error message when trying to view this content? Please provide any additional details around whats happening. Thanks much.   

We’ve added newly available free content from Lifetime Movie Club, Acorn TV, Starz and much more. Find it by saying "Free" into your Xfinity Voice Remote. Plus, if everyone wants to watch something different, you can use the Xfinity Stream app to turn your tablet or smartphone into a TV in any room.

Also Showtime On Demand content is open and available for all of our X1 and Flex customers at no additional cost:

With so many of our customers confined to their homes during this difficult time period, we have worked with our various programming partners to make extra content available. Simply say "Free" into your Xfinity Voice Remote for available content. Even without a television subscription, you will have access to select content via the Xfinity Stream Website and App. All you need is your Xfinity ID and password to access Xfinity Stream via the app or online portal. Please note that much of this free content is only available during certain window periods.

Additional Resources:

Highlighted
New Poster

“Free” previews still not working

I have had this issue for over two years. Every time there is a “free preview” or “watchathon”, I am unable to get anything free. Yes, I know it’s only “on demand”. I’ve talked to over ten people at Xfinity who were unable to fix the issue. There is an issue with the code on the box, apparently, and it’s never been fixed.
I know other people have reported the exact same issue. WHY CAN’T THIS BE CORRECTED?!?!
Last time I talked to someone, I thought it was fixed. I could finally get the programming. Got an email a couple hours later that she had SUBSCRIBED me to the channel without telling me I would have to pay!!! Stupid...
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: “Free” previews still not working

same here ......  don't think they're capabile of correcting

Highlighted
New Poster

Only fix seems to be making you subscribe which defeats the whole purpose.
Just seems like they would have someone working on it. I know I’m not the only one with the issue.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

• Speaking of which, anyone know if and when we are having WATCHATHON? I am getting my free STARZ. They mix $$Starz/Encore in with it under "Starz Free Preview or Premium Channel Starz.
Highlighted
New Poster

Covid Comp Month ondemand

Just a suggestion. How about working to get a free month of on demand as we are all sitting at home with no to little pay? Or possibly a care program like PG&E is offering to reduce rates?

Even the free month trials aren’t working. Says free, my bill is paid, still can’t get the movie.

I just think offering a free month would be a crazy incentive. And not just movies, the fitness channels are SO very needed right now.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Covid Comp Month ondemand

Actually I see that a lot of premium channels are and I was able to access the movies. Please highlight this on your webpage or send out an email. This is great and much appreciated.
Highlighted
New Poster

FREE EPIX

EPIX is not free as advertised in emails.  It still asks for subscription.

Highlighted
New Poster

Free Showtime during pandemic

How do you get free showtime as shown under "free". I click the icon but comes up to subscribe for $12.00 a month

Highlighted
Official Employee

Free TV to watch while you’re staying home

@Kobi1020  and all Link below has additional info: 

Xfinity is making a series of premium networks and subscription video on demand (SVOD) services available for free for its X1 and Flex customers.

Free TV to watch while you’re staying home

Xfinity customers can now access a selection of free programming spanning kids educational content, fitness and TV & movies via Xfinity on Demand including on X1 and the Xfinity Stream app and web portal and also on Flex by saying “Free” into the Xfinity Voice Remote. Popular networks and streaming services include:

• EPIX – happening 3/20-4/19, featuring movies like Rocketman, and shows like War of the Worlds, and Godfather of Harlem (Available on X1, Stream, FLEX)
  • History Vault – happening 3/20-4/19, featuring shows like America, The Story of Us, and The Men Who Built America (Available on X1, Stream, FLEX)
  • Lifetime Movie Club - happening 3/26-4/25, featuring movies like Taken from Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story, and The Secret Lives of Cheerleaders (Available on X1, Stream, FLEX)
  • Acorn TV – happening 3/26-4/9, featuring movies like Miss Fisher & the Crypt of Tears, and shows like Murdoch Mysteries (Available on X1, Stream, FLEX)
  • Urban Movie Channel – happening 3/26-4/9, featuring movies like Pride & Prejudice: Atlanta, and shows like Stuck with You (Available on X1, Stream, FLEX)
  • Hallmark Movies Now - happening 3/26-4/25, featuring movies like A Summer Romance and A Taste of Summer (Available on X1/FLEX)
  • SHOWTIME® – happening 3/20-4/18, featuring original series like Homeland, Black Monday and Billions (Available on X1 and Stream)

To see what shows are available to you today and any time for free, just say “Free” into your Xfinity Voice Remote.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: FREE EPIX

Free previews almost always are On Demand, and https://www.xfinity.com/hub/free-tv-movies/watch-at-home-free-preview says:

Xfinity is making a series of premium networks and subscription video on demand (SVOD) services available for free for its X1 and Flex customers.
EPIX – happening 3/20-4/19
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Say Free into remote.... no X1

Well I do not have X1 or a remote that I can talk to.

So free premium channels are only available for those who have x1 and a remote they can talk to?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Say Free into remote.... no X1

No, it just means you’ll have to manually search for it. Do yourself a favor, upgrade your equipment sometime

Highlighted
Contributor

Wow. Really? Did you even look? I see movies from the 2000's, even as current as 2018. Hate to burst your bubble but you're not going to get Avengers Endgame, Avengers Infinity War, Star Wars Force Awakens, Rise of Skywalker or any of the other blockbusters that have recently been in movie theaters.

The proper thing would have been to say "thank you" and move on, not to sound like an entitled person. Free is free. Did you expect to get movies that were in theaters a few months ago, for free? That ain't going to happen.

That was a lesson my parents told me, that nothing in this world is ever free, not even life, because you pay for that when you pass away. And taxes are just government's way of saying "there is a value added tax on life".

Highlighted
New Poster

It looks the older movies which were free..they are now being charged for..
Highlighted
Official Employee

@Will821  Apologies, I know the On Demand team was making some changes. Please try again and let me know how things look now.  In the meantime, I've applied a credit on your account that will cover three On Demand movie rentals (@ $5.99 each) with our compliments. 

Also,  https://www.xfinity.com/hub/free-tv-movies/watch-at-home-free-preview

Highlighted
Contributor

how about a BOGO? i've been wanting to watch On Demand movies and i see the prices are $5.99 but there is no info about a BOGO during these trying times where people are home 7 days a week. or how about a $2 credit towards your first movie purchase, etc...

i never have purchased an On Demand movie and it shocks me that Comcast has zero offers for the dedicated customers who pay their bills every month.

just 🙄

Highlighted
Official Employee

@machado22 

I've credited back your recent On Demand movie in full and I have also applied a credit on your account that will cover three On Demand movie rentals (@ $5.99 each) with our compliments.

Tons of free movies available every day: 

Plus Watchathon underway now through May 17, 2020.  Enjoy!

https://www.xfinity.com/hub/free-tv-movies/get-ready-for-watchathon-2020

Highlighted
Contributor

hello again-i have to give you credit for taking action. that was very much appreciated. this morning i received an email that i have been issued the $5.99 credit and i was unclear how/why. then i see you replied to my message with information about the numerous credits you have given me. THANK YOU! as much as i want to be critical of Xfinity i have to give you all the credit in this case. i'll be sure to enjoy more On Demand movies due to your kind gesture. keep up the good work!

Highlighted
Official Employee

@machado22 You are welcome. Glad to help and enjoy the free movies plus Watchathon!

Hang in there. Thanks for being a Comcast customer. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity is a greedy corporation. no contribution to community at thus dufficult time. even the watchathon requires subscriptions and nithing is really free. only first episode is accessible to fet you to spend money
Highlighted
Official Employee

@ritadefil 

We offer tons of free movies available every day: 

Plus Watchathon underway now through May 17, 2020.  Enjoy!

https://www.xfinity.com/hub/free-tv-movies/get-ready-for-watchathon-2020

Looks like you were able to enjoy a few free movies already during Watchathon. 

I've credited back your recent On Demand movies in full and I have also applied a credit on your account that will cover a few additional On Demand movie rentals with our compliments.

What is Watchathon Week?

Watchathon Week is an annual event for Xfinity customers when many of the hottest TV shows and movies on demand are available all week long at no additional cost. Xfinity customers can tune in via X1, Flex, or Xfinity Stream to catch popular series, movies, and more from May 11 – 17.

What can I watch during Xfinity Watchathon Week?

Everyone has a show to recommend, and from May 11 – 17 you can enjoy free access to many of the most popular shows and movies from, SHOWTIME®, STARZ®, HBO® and, for the first time ever, Hulu! Catch hit series like The Handmaid’s Tale, Westworld, Billions, Outlander, and more all week long at no additional cost to you.

Looking to make it a movie night? During Watchathon Week you can also catch some of the latest hit films, like Joker (available beginning May 16), It: Chapter 2, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and many, many more.

Don’t have X1? You can also watch with Flex and Xfinity Stream, no TV subscription required. Learn more about watching on Flex here.

If you’re ready to watch, just say “Watchathon” into your Xfinity Voice Remote and enjoy some of the hottest shows and movies on demand all week long at no additional cost to you.

*Content availability may vary across Xfinity TV platforms (X1, Flex, and the Xfinity Stream app and portal). Of note, the full SHOWTIME service will be available on Xfinity on Demand and the Xfinity Stream app and portal for only a portion of the event from May 14 – 17.