Anon552426's profile

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Friday, November 29th, 2019 9:00 AM

Closed

Smithsonian Channel HD? When will it be available?

I just switched to Xfinity from another provider and enjoyed Smithsonian Channel in HD for years.  I made sure to specically ask for Smithsonian when I ordered service.  I'm in the Chicagoland area and discovered it's only in SD.  This is unacceptable in 2019 not to have it in HD.  When will it be avialble?  That's the channel I watch most than all the others.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Problem Solver

• 

720 Messages

4 years ago

You're lucky to get it in SD. Where I live, Comcast doesn't offer it, even in SD, and I have the HBO-level package.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

This is truly unacceptable. If you’re going to offer a channel, it surely must be in high definition if you’re making your customer pay for your service. I’m incredibly disappointed in Comcast.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I agree.  Why isn't Smithsonian in HD especially since it's educational?  I had it in HD on T-mobile.  Instead, there are dozens of channels that I don't care for in HD.

Contributor

• 

374 Messages

4 years ago

@Anon552426 wrote:

I just switched to Xfinity from another provider and enjoyed Smithsonian Channel in HD for years.  I made sure to specically ask for Smithsonian when I ordered service.  I'm in the Chicagoland area and discovered it's only in SD.  This is unacceptable in 2019 not to have it in HD.  When will it be avialble?  That's the channel I watch most than all the others.

Weird that you don't get it.  Been watching Smithsonian Channel in HD for years here in the Atlanta area.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

4 years ago

I still have the Smithsonian Channels (SD & HD) in my service area (Twin Cities MN).

If you do not have it just type in "Smithsonian" in the search field of "You Yube" on a smart tv with "You Tube" app, or other other IPV type of boxes for Internet streaming. Most recent, or old, eppisodes can be found there.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

4 years ago

Many Smithsonian shows are also available in HD OnDemand. I record shows, but usually wait a day to watch them OnDemand, if they show up.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am searching my OnDemand for Smithsonian Channel and I cannot find it. In Charleston, SC with the preferred package.

Problem Solver

• 

818 Messages

4 years ago

It is being added on August 25th, 2020 per my latest bill.

Problem Solver

• 

308 Messages

4 years ago

Tek, where are you located?

I am hearing it's going IP, and that areas that have it in SD will have it in HD 8/25, like you said. This will not likely change anything for areas that don't have it.

These things vary from region to region, which is why some have had Smithsonian in HD for years, while others don't have the channel at all.

Contributor

• 

67 Messages

4 years ago

I also got a notice in my last bill saying smithsonian HD will be added on august 25th I am one of the lucky people who has had smithsonian HD for years  with Comcast  but I have been on this forum for years and  I have read many people still  not getting smithsonian HD hopefully that will end on august 25th

Problem Solver

• 

818 Messages

4 years ago

I am in New England. I couldn't find any other info outside of the message on my bill. They are adding a bunch of cable networks that were not HD to the HD channels, but the other channels are odd ball ones. 

I have it in HD on YouTubeTV, which I am curre tly using due to problems with my cable service. Love the channel. Happy to know if they ever fix my X1 that I will now have it in HD kn X1. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Tek wrote:

I am in New England. I couldn't find any other info outside of the message on my bill. They are adding a bunch of cable networks that were not HD to the HD channels, but the other channels are odd ball ones. 

I have it in HD on YouTubeTV, which I am curre tly using due to problems with my cable service. Love the channel. Happy to know if they ever fix my X1 that I will now have it in HD kn X1. 

Yes! "You Tube" has better resolution up to 8K / HDR. "National Geo." also has some 4K HDR not available in USA cable or OTA. Most missing channels can be found on "You Tube" with some content.

Problem Solver

• 

818 Messages

4 years ago

I still miss X1 and the traditional cable experience. 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Lucky you.  Nothing on my bill about it in Palatine, IL. 😞 

Problem Solver

• 

818 Messages

4 years ago

Here is the full message:

Xfinity TV Update: On August 25, 2020, the following channel changes will
occur: Cooking HD, Discovery Family HD, DIY HD, Galavision HD, Ovation HD,
POP HD, Smithsonian HD, Zona Futbol, and Zona Futbol HD will be added to
the Digital Preferred Tier; WGN America HD will be added to Entertainment and
Expanded Basic; CSPAN HD will be added to Limited Basic; Smithsonian HD will
be added to Digital Economy; Galavision HD, Zona Futbol and Zona Futbol HD
will be added to Xfinity TV Latino. These channels will continue to be available in
standard definition (SD) format in other channel locations. HD channels require
HD Technology Fee and X1 TV Box or compatible customer owned device
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here