U

2 Messages

Tuesday, September 19th, 2023 4:07 AM

Closed

Sudden Spike in Data Usage

There are dozens upon dozens of closed topics with this same subject line with hundreds of people all reporting very similar experiences and no fixes, just upselling. My data usage is typically 400-500gb. In March (6 months ago) I had to upgrade my modem to the new Gateway package with faster download speeds - from 200GB/s to 400GB/s. I was still consistently using 400-500gb of data every month. Then suddenly in July, it ballooned to 1000gb with zero change in habits or devices. Then August it was 900+gb and two weeks into September, we've used 95% of our data. We've never come close to going over and now suddenly, these huge spikes that many customers are experiencing. I reached out to friends and family and those with Xfinity have or are experiencing this too. From the comments, customer service can't provide detailed usage per month and they typically just try to upsell you to unlimited speeds. Our habits and devices have not changed but I have a little less than two weeks left and only 3% of my data remaining. We're definitely going over this month. I'm not looking forward to trying to resolve this issue as contacting Xfinity is worse than getting a root canal.

2 Messages

1 year ago

I have the exact same experience. Averaging 400GBs a month all year, then in Aug. and Sept., I am at the limit in the first 10 days. No change in my habits. In fact, my daughter moved out, taking her game consoles with her. In theory, that would mean less data usage, not twice the usual amount. When is Comcast going to call me back?

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello, @user_781845! I know I'd be wondering that same thing too! You've reached the right team for help. A benefit to choosing Xfinity is xFi Complete which allows you to personalize and control your home network. This is beneficial because you're able to easily manage who is online, when, and using what device. You can even pause and unpause individual devices or an entire user profile from accessing your home network. Even receive a text alert if an unknown device connects to your network. To gain a better understanding of the data consumption; have you had a chance to create user profiles for members within your home, name devices, and allocate connected devices to each user in your home? 

As a quick reminder; you can find out how much data you use and see your monthly data history online. To do so visit the devices page on xfinity.com, and you'll see your Data Usage Overview. You’ll need to sign in with your Xfinity ID and password. You can also see your data usage using the Xfinity app by selecting Internet Data usage from the main screen. I wanted to quickly share this article to review what counts towards your data usage plan which may help. Please let us know if customizing Xfinity xFi and cross-referencing who and what devices are online by using the data usage tools helps!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

Thank you for your reply. I have the same problem too.

2 Messages

@XfinityThomasA​ I don't want to sign up for a new service. I want support with the service I have. Recommending new products when the one you're providing has errors is nuts.

1 year ago

These are my opinions/views and not the opinons/views of Comcast/Xfinity:

I recommend creating a profile for each person in the home in the Xfinity app. Assign each persons devices to their profile. Create a profile for the home for things that are smart home related and not personal devices such as lights, thermostats, etc. Once this is done, you will be able to view data usage on a daily and monthly view and this will help identify which group of devices is using the most data and at what times. Any devices connected to the network that you don't recognize as being in the home, I would pause. 

(edited)

1 Message

@SeniorMasterTechnician​ How do you see data usage by user?

I set up a user profile for each person, and an additional one for the shared devices, but I cannot see any option to view data usage.

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

Hello @user_804e46 At this time, the best way to manage and review your data usage is via the Xfinity app as a total monthly usage. While you can set up profiles to manage your devices, specific usage for each device or profile is not currently available via the Xfinity app. I did test this on my end as well with my own account and didn't find a way in the app to review individual usage for a profile, however, the overall general usage is still available for each month. You can use this link a helpful article you can review that goes over how to review your data usage.

[Edit: Fixed link]

(edited)

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

1 year ago

@user_0af3a2 Good morning! Thank you for taking the time to reach out to our Community Forums Team for assistance with your data usage concerns. I can see how having this variance would be alarming. While we are not able to see the usage by device, I can assist you in narrowing down where the issue could be, along with issuing a ticket if needed. To begin, can you please send a Direct Message with your name and service address? 

Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Messaging" icon at the top of the page (looks like a text bubble)
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

1 Message

11 months ago

Seeing the same issue.  No change in habits, and data has ballooned.  As a precaution, I reset the password, and updated all devices.  In addition to the additional data, the xfinity assistant on the app seems to be broken in reporting data usage.  It now is showing DOUBLE what is actually used.  I called customer care, they told me I've used about 300 for the month so far.  The Xfinity assistant app shows over 600 and it is showing double for previous months as well.  [Edited: "Inflammatory"]. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

@user_6dozun Since this is something that you've seen occuring for more than just this month, and you have changed passwords etc, I would recommend contacting our Customer Security Assurance (CSA) team. They have the tools to dig into the concerns regarding data further. You can contact them at 1-888-565-4329. They are available 7 days a week from 8 AM - 12 AM EST. 

Contributor

• 

139 Messages

11 months ago

12 Messages

10 months ago

As stated - this is happening to a lot many folks. Daily habits haven't changes, and we use around 700-800GB while suddenly since Sep, a sudden spike is see in our data usage and gone beyond the 1.2TB limit resulting in me being billed for that . I've spoken to a rep yesterday  on this number 1-888-565-4329 and that person was not aware of this data usage meter issue.

I had to state to this rep that this is a known issue at the backend application as stated by Xfinity employees and that for some customers it's been resolved but other other customers, like me, I am still being shown a sudden spike and being over the data  limit, and secondly, how my billing is going to be handled?

What he did  they assure me that he is going to escalate this and they are going to call me back. That's it. 

So, in the meantime, I have power cycled the modem multiple times, and the usage meter is still showing incorrectly as doubled and my account is shown as being billed for that overage. Being a longtime and very unfussy Comcast customer, this is very upsetting! I'm now going to look at AT&T and Sail Internet. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@user_0af3a2 Have you heard back from the CSA Team on your data concerns? The CSA team that you reached out to is definitely the right team to assist in data issues. 

3 Messages

@user_b9z7gb​ Having the same problems now. 600-790GB since June(with kids home from school June and July) and now 1232 in back to back months. I was told I used 200 yesterday and wasn't home much of the day. But no one can tell me why or how. 

1 Message

10 months ago

I am experiencing this issue as well. I've talked to the data escalation team, and the support person I spoke with didn't seem to know anything about Xfinity's problem in engineering. She couldn't give me any more info or instruction than "it's probably your modem, call the manufacturer." I asked if she had ever come upon this problem before, and if so, what was the culprit. She said she would create another ticket for me. While I was waiting I found this thread in the community forum and started reading. Relaying the information to her, the call was disappointingly unhelpful and they may have given me misnformation as well. 

When I mentioned the overage charges incurred for June, July, Aug, and now September, (I do not have unlimited data plan) and how I might be compensated for those charges, she told me the modem manufacturer will handle it with Xfinity, and to call them to verify the problem is with the device. Clearly it's' not the device's issue, and even if that were the case, I do not see Arris and Xfinity getting on the phone together to chat about how they'll cover by internet bill for the upcoming 4 months.

Has anyone run into this block with the CSA team due to their modem being self-owned? What should I do? It seems most other people are raising concern, then the concern goes away when their usage returns to normal, the problem resolves itself once concern is raised by customer to xfinity staff. I have done that, and I was denied the same reassurance. Thanks so much.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello @user_jczhw0, thanks for reaching out for help with your data usage and modem reporting. 

When you spoke with our data team, did they say how long it would take to hear back on the ticket? If we are able to determine that the issue was on our end then we will be able to reverse the data charges for you no problem. If there was an issue with the modem, then I'm confident our data escalations team will be able to work that out. 

3 Messages

@user_jczhw0​ This is the exact response they gave to me after spending hours on the phone with the CSA team. My only solution is to go to switch internet providers. Going to Google fiber.

1 Message

10 months ago

After reading the complaints of people that are experiencing the same bump in usage that my wife and I are experiencing, it seems to be very clear [Edited: "Inflammatory"]. As in some areas of the country we don’t really have a choice for internet service, [Edited: "Solicitation"]

(edited)

1 Message

10 months ago

I am experiencing this issue as well.  In the past year, we have only be over in useage 1 time and that was my sons downloading a game.  However, without changing useage.  We are steadily climbing.  Where do I go for help to get this problem resovled.  On saturday we were not able to connect to the internet but we are now at 95%.  

Official Employee

• 

897 Messages

Hi there @user_iwxh65 ! We are not running into any known issues with data at this time however, I would recommend checking out the FAQ about our data usage plan here and some information on what counts towards it here. It may provide some insights. Thanks!

3 Messages

9 months ago

Exactly the same. I went form 707 June, 798 July, 745 Aug, and 672 Sept to 1218 Oct and 1229 Nov.  I talked to CS and they can't tell me why or how. No new devices or usage out the norm but way over my normal usage the last 2 months. 

Official Employee

• 

882 Messages

@user_kfl2727 I definitely understand the concern when it comes data usage. Our options are limited with seeing data usage, as we can see the overall usage for current and previous months. If you haven't spoken with our dedicate Customer Security Assurance experts, I would recommend reaching out to them with for the data concern: 1-888-565-4329, they are available 7 days a week between 8:00am - 12:00am EST. 

8 Messages

@user_kfl2727​ You have a MoCA problem! Get a MoCA filter from Amazon for $8.00 and your problem will fix immediately. 
Read my highlighted posting from yesterday about this issue! You will thank me!!!! :)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

9 months ago

We just received a message from xfinity saying we have used 96% of our 1200gb in 3 days! How is that even possible?!!! When I called, they just tried to upsell me on some kind of prevention thing. They couldn’t tell me what device was using this much data. It’s suppose to be unlimited data, but apparently there’s a limit to unlimited?! I’m fuming! At this rate, we will have projected 718% over usage. Basically that’s a bill that will be over $7000! 

1 Message

@Bkvore​ Upgrade to "Xfinity complete". atleast it will cover you for now untill you can figure it out. It makes your internet limit (100,000gb) (unlimited internet.)

I am checking on my random spike. I believe my son has his multiple devices using streaming live. I went from 900 a month to using roughly 450 in the first 2 days. But now I dont mind, and he can do what he wants. Not having to worry about maxxing or going past every month.

8 Messages

@Bkvore​ Go to Amazon and order a MoCA filter! I had the same problems and this fixed it. Read the comments there and you’ll understand how that works! It’s $8.00 and installs in 30 seconds!!!!!

8 Messages

9 months ago

You have a MoCA problem! I assume you live in an apartment building? You need to install an MoCA filter between your gateway and the coaxial cable to prevent your router of talking to other newtworks and vice versa. I had the same problem and solved it that way. See my highlighted posting! It’s a simple $8.00 fix!

2 Messages

I live in a single family home with neighbors far away. That's not what my problem is but thanks for your reply.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

8 months ago

I've had xfinity mobile since its inception. I've always had a 1G plan.  I'm retired and don't really use my phone when I'm not home. I've gone over my data maybe three times in all those years. In the last 4-5 months, I've either gone over or just eeked by. I'm in wifi 99.9% of the time. My habits haven't changed. A friend with xfinity is having the same issue. I contacted xfinity through reddit. According to them, they've escalated my issue and they've tried to contact me numerous times, by email and phone with no response. I never got an email or phone call. Problem is, Verizon and at&t are still more expensive for a single user plan.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

809 Messages

@LorraineG If you're still needing assistance with your Xfinity Mobile concerns, I would recommend reaching out to one of our Xfinity Mobile experts to further investigate. You can reach the team by texting or calling 1 (888) 936-4968. You can also chat with an expert here https://comca.st/3qrQU2Q. 

1 Message

8 months ago

https://comca.st/3qrQU2Q

Official Employee

• 

961 Messages

@user_4bzjjr Hello and thanks for sharing the Xfinity chat link. Are there any concerns we can help with? 

1 Message

8 months ago

I just typed a response and it kicked me out before I finished.  To sum things up, we are 8 days into January 2024, and I've already received a message stating I've exceeded 100% of my data usage and am now being charged $10 per 50gb.  I work from home as I have been doing since 2020, and my household has not done anything different.  How is it possible that I've supposedly used over 1500gbs of data within 8 days???  Now that has me looking at previous data usage amounts, and I noticed the total amount used has been suspiciously increasing every month.  According to the most recent summary, the app alleges my household data usage amounts was 924gb in October 2023, then 1029gb in November, 1407gb in December, and just 8 days into January it says I've already used 1500gbs.  That is not possible.  I have a case open with their Customer Security Assurance team and am waiting on a call back.  This has to be resolved.  In doing some research, it appears this has been happening to customers for several years with no logical resolution.  I wonder if there's a class action lawsuit?  Because XFinity should not be allowed to get away with this.

8 Messages

I have reported this issue to the FCC and they seemed very interested. Xfinity has until end of January 2024 to resolve this and comment back to the FCC! 

Meanwhile, because of ongoing data drain, I returned my rented modem and replaced it with my own. All those unexplainable occurrences stopped immediately. It’s their modems/gateways which have serious security flaws. 
Do yourself a favor - return your Xfinity supplied modem and get your own. You’ll save on your bill too (no rental fees)!

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

I actually don't have an xfinity router or modem and I've had an ongoing convo with xfinity about this issue. They keep ending up telling me how to view my data usage. It's ridiculous. Oh, we're escalating your issue. Then the next tier tells me how to view my data. The point is, there's no way that data usage is correct. I've been with xfinity mobile since it started. I've always had a 1G plan. In all that time, I may have gone over 3 times? Now every month a week and a half into my billing period, I've used half my data..... I'm in wifi 99.9% of the time, which is why I've always been fine with the 1G plan. Now, all of a sudden, I'm having to shut my data off toward the end of the period to make my data limit. Something stinks.

Official Employee

• 

906 Messages

Hello @Seastar_2000. We can take a look at your internet usage for you. Will you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?
~~~~
To send a "Direct Message" message:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hey @LorraineG,

Thank you for contacting customer support through Xfinity Support. I hope you are doing well. I would be more than happy to offer my assistance and provide any guidance. With Xfinity Mobile, we would be unable to review what applications, services, or updates may be going through your device. We do recommend turning on our Data Saver feature which would turn off the feature to HD Stream if you happen to not be connected to WiFi or LTE personal hotpot from your phone for sharing data. For steps on how to turn on/off Data Saver, please visit our "How does Data Saver work?" support page. 

If you are subscribed to our By-The-Gig Xfinity Mobile Data plan, you would be able to go over your By-The-Gig subscription and an automatic $15 for each additional GB would be applied towards your next service bill. 

Depending on your phone manufacture, some other data saving tips are to turn off background downloading/updates as well as going into each application and seeing if there is a WiFi only mode to not use cellular data. 

Please visit our "What’s Using Up Your Mobile Data? Here’s How To Get The Most From Your Mobile Data Plan" Discovery Hub page with more tips and tricks to see what applications are using the data and preventative measures to save data. 

1 Message

@user_b6hwzk​ 

mom experiencing the same and have gotten no where with Xfinity. Were you able to make any headway on this?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here