sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

11 years ago

I only have Internet with comcast. I pay for netflix and The Blaze TV services I also download all the TV shows I like to watch. If I could pay HBO directly like I could for MLB TV like 150 or even 200 bucks annually I would. Then stream it through my pc or a Roku device.

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

11 years ago

@Dubguy wrote:

Oh I agree, I just think that HBO should take a more "either you support all devices or you don't get to offer us in your channel lineup" approach. I mean, when it comes down to it, HBO has all the bargaining chips in their conrner, and it makes sense that they would want PAYING customers to be able to access the content on the device of their choice. 🙂

It's like Comcast perceives Roku as a threat to it's market, but since you HAVE to be an HBO subscriber in order to get HBO GO in the first place - I really don't see how it's a threat to their bottom end, and if they leveraged it the other way around, it might actually drive more sales to them! It must come down to licensing fees or something - it's the only thing that makes sense

2 words

BOX RENTAL

They make millions in box rentals alone.

They prolly still have a contract with HBO that lets them (comcast) decide how to distribute HBO content to their subs.

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Okay - but I'm already paying rental fees for my box and my modem. If my box would let me watch the content available on HBO GO this would not be an issue. I can only assume everyone with Comcast subscribing to HBO also rents a Comcast box? Is this assumption incorrect?

On a side note - how are you guys replying and getting the "replied to" text to show up? Are you pasting it in? 

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

@Dubguy wrote:

Apparently all of these other companies understand that not everyone wants to watch HBO shows on their phone or tablet, why doesn't Comcast seem to get it? It's not like subscibers are going to throw their Roku device away and update to a triple play service in order to get the X1 (assuming the above poster is correct, they do not list that device or Samsung Smart TV's either).

Oh, they understand it. They just don't care.

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

@FrozenSlime wrote:
As for anyone who thinks HBO Go and HBO on Demand are similar, their not!  HBO Go has pretty much everything HBO have every produced - you can watch ALL of Larry David or The Extras for instance (both of which are NOT available with HBO on Demand) -- you can even start BoardWalk Empire from Episode 1 and zip up to the newest episodes in a week (like I just did).  Can't do that with On Demand...

Point of clarification--the full library is not available on COMCAST's on Demand, Dish HBO on Demand has the full library that is also on HBO Go.

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

@Dubguy wrote:

OMG! They have just added Comcast XFINITY to their partner list, however when you go to check the "supported devices" under Comcast, it lists darn (fixed so as not to offend the censors - jeez)  near everything BUT the Roku (iPad, iPhone, XBox 360, Apple TV, Kindle Fire and Android phones/tablets). What kind of BS is this Comcast? Wht did Roku do to you? Either they really have an issue with Roku, or they have some secret deal with Google for a percentage of ChromeCast sales... I'll be sure to let them know I bought their device thanks to you.

And still no official response on here? Close to 1500 complaints and no official word regarding their lack of support? Way to go - a new customer service low.

Dubguy, HBO Go has been available for Comcast customers since at least October 2012 when I switched to Comast for 5 weeks--just NOT on the Roku. They allow it on pc, tablets and phone, XBox live. Just NOT Roku/

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Hey all, if you guys want to effect change, go to https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry/ and chat up a representative.  Let them know 3 things:

1) Comcast does not grant access to HBOgo app on Roku while other cable providers do,

2) HBOgo access on Roku is important to you, and although you don't want to change cable providers, you will if Comcast doesn't allow access in the near future,

3) Ask that your concerns are forwarded to upper management.

The rep that I talked to told me that they were getting a few of these requests and that the "upper tier" management were discussing HBOgo on Roku.  What we need to do is blast them with requests for hbogo support on Roku.

The bottom line: they do not care about this forum so it is best not to waste your effort here.  Also, don't even bother with calling in.  I was transferred 5 times and waited on hold for 45 minutes just to get "Comcast doesn't currently support HBOgo on Roku."  That was from a supervisor who told me that there was no one above him I could talk to.

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

@Dubguy wrote:

OMG! They have just added Comcast XFINITY to their partner list, however when you go to check the "supported devices" under Comcast, it lists darn (fixed so as not to offend the censors - jeez)  near everything BUT the Roku (iPad, iPhone, XBox 360, Apple TV, Kindle Fire and Android phones/tablets). What kind of BS is this Comcast? Wht did Roku do to you? Either they really have an issue with Roku, or they have some secret deal with Google for a percentage of ChromeCast sales... I'll be sure to let them know I bought their device thanks to you.

And still no official response on here? Close to 1500 complaints and no official word regarding their lack of support? Way to go - a new customer service low.

I think some are conflating 2 different issues. Comcast always supported HBOGo- they have always advertised this.  The problem is they don't support certain devices like Roku and Samsung smart TVs.

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

The bottom line: they do not care about this forum so it is best not to waste your effort here.  Also, don't even bother with calling in.

Then I would edit your suggestion to:

....3) Mention their lack of attention to their so-called "support forum", and include the bad publicity they are advertising on their own web site by ignoring it.
4) Ask that your concerns are forwarded to upper management.

😉

Too many companies these day think they need a support forum to be "current", and then they expect their top contributors to answer things as best they can. That is not the way it works people. If it's on your web site and folks are posting questions/concerns that they expect a support tech to answer, you better darn well have at least one person dedicated to not only moderating, but responding on a regular basis. Anything short reflects upon your company's customer service, and people DO notice these things. These same companies will often have a staff of people waiting for you via online chat. Bad resource management

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

You hit the quote button.

I was about to reply that I had no quote button, but then I noticed it here on the reply to screen. I am used to forums that put the quote button next to the reply button which lets you select only the text you wish to quote. Thanks for the heads up!

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Comcast always supported HBOGo- they have always advertised this.  The problem is they don't support certain devices like Roku and Samsung smart TVs.

Thanks Maz - I went to HBO GO via the /activate link the first time, and when you go there specifically to activate your Roku Comcast doesn't show up at all, hence my confusion

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

@Dubguy wrote:

....3) Mention their lack of attention to their so-called "support forum", and include the bad publicity they are advertising on their own web site by ignoring it.

These same companies will often have a staff of people waiting for you via online chat. Bad resource management

These forums are great for troubleshooting technical issues.  They are not great for lodging complaints and dealing with policy issues.  The question is how does one best raise a complaint.  And since Comcast is overstaffing their online chat department, that is the place to go.  Plus, the chat reps seem to be the most knowledgable and responsive.

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

@greytheo wrote:

The rep that I talked to told me that they were getting a few of these requests and that the "upper tier" management were discussing HBOgo on Roku.  What we need to do is blast them with requests for hbogo support on Roku.

I hate to tell you that a rep told me the same thing a year ago. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

@DMilnerJax wrote:
I hate to tell you that a rep told me the same thing a year ago. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Complaints are one of the only tools we possess.  Well, that and cancellation with directed reasoning.  I don't feel bullish about Comcast granting access to HBOgo for Roku users in the near future but complaining and cancelling are some of the few tools we have to communicate effectively and to effect policy changes.  With Comcast, it is all about the bottom line.  If they can short change their customers without them leaving then they are happy as pie.  Comcast needs to see teeth if they are to enact policy changes.

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

@greytheo wrote:

@DMilnerJax wrote:

Complaints are one of the only tools we possess.  Well, that and cancellation with directed reasoning.  I don't feel bullish about Comcast granting access to HBOgo for Roku users in the near future but complaining and cancelling are some of the few tools we have to communicate effectively and to effect policy changes.  With Comcast, it is all about the bottom line.  If they can short change their customers without them leaving then they are happy as pie.  Comcast needs to see teeth if they are to enact policy changes.

I voted with my pocketbook--and changed providers. The Roku issue was only one of a number of reasons, but it was one of the important ones. Given their refusal to participate in the Netflix HD internet requirements, I will change internet providers as soon as a viable alternative is available to me.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here