U

Wednesday, February 21st, 2024 8:43 PM

XR-15 to control both TV and Vizio Sound bar

Recently upgraded my cable box and remote to a XR-15-UQ remote.  Prior to the upgrade I could control both my TCL-Roku TV power and the sound volume on the Vizio sound bar (connected via optical audio).  I'm not concerned about being able to turn the soundbar power on and off.  I don't mind it staying on all the time. 

I have searched in the forums and tried all the same fixes I could find.  Seems the remote is ONLY able to control 1 of the 2 units. 

If I follow the Xfinity set-up remote instructions process programming the remote for both the TV and the soundbar thru the Set-up menus thru the cable box, it'll program to the TV (and TV power is controlled) but then when I move to the next set of set up menus (program your remote to control and audio/video receiver?) it'll seem to reset the remote to ONLY control the soundbar and the TV power button no longer controls the TV. 

Looking thru the forums, I saw a suggestion to run thru the Xfinity box set-up SOLELY for the TV and then exit the box set-up with the TV working, then separately reprogram the remote only (via the holding Xfinity & mute buttons together).  I went thru that process but am getting the identical result.  Seems the entire remote is fully reprogrammed to ONLY allow turning the sound bar on/off and volume.  Power button no long controls the TV power.

Any other suggestions?  The above are the only 2 solutions I've found in the forums but neither is seeming to work.  Vizio sound bar code I found on-line was 32454.

when I attempt to contact Xfinity tech support on the phone they're clueless and just have me go thru the Xfinity cable box remote programming set-up.  Same result every single time.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

5 months ago

Thank you so much for reaching out, user_mtnfz3. Have you already checked out this link https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/programming-your-xfinity-remote for a step by step guide on how to re-pair your remote?

You can also try to power cycle your cable box. Then you’ll want to reset/clear your remote. If you have xr15 (no setup button in bottom left corner), hold down A and D till the light turns green then hit 981. The light will flash blue three times. Next, point at the cable box and then hold down “i” and “Xfinity” until three numbers appear. Enter the three numbers and follow the prompts and first program to your tv, then yes for audio device. If you don’t see Vizio in the list start to manually type Vizio and it may show up in the list. Finish with the code or codes there.

6 Messages

Yes, I have, multiple times both trying it totally thru the "set-up" menus on the cable box & also trying just to do the TV thru the cable box set-up menu's and then reprogramming JUST the vizio.  Same result.  Program first for TV.  TV power button works fine.  However, going into the next process (to program the soundbar), then the sound bar volume and power work but the TV is no longer controlled by the remote and I can NOT turn the TV power on and off.  I was having this SAME issue with my previous box and previous remote.  Spent at least 2 hrs on the phone with tech support to no avail.  that old box was about 5-6 yrs old so they told me it needed to be replaced/upgraded anyway.  About a month prior to the old box having these issues, I had NONE!  The remote would power the TV on and off AND also control the volume of the Vizio sound bar.  This ONLY started about a month prior to my upgrading the box...

6 Messages

Since trying to explain this multiple times as clearly as possible doesn't seem to help Xfinity support, I'm attaching a link to a video showing what's happening.  Maybe this will help someone help me with troubleshooting.... this is a link to youtube video where I recorded the process and what isn't working.

https://youtu.be/zBDb_sVSRTk

Official Employee

• 

415 Messages

@user_mtnfz3 to clarify, have you had a chance to power cycle your cable box followed by resetting the remote as mentioned above? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

6 Messages

I have power cycled the cable box a few times during all of this.... and attempted to reprogram the remote after the recycle as well.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

user_mtnfz3 I'm sorry to hear you are still having issues getting the XR15 Voice Remote programmed. I would sugest starting over with a factory reset, and go through the pairing steps again. 

To Factory Reset the XR15: 
*Simultaneously press and hold the A button [triangle] and the D button [diamond] until the status light on the remote changes from red to green. This takes about 5 seconds.
*Press 9-8-1 on your remote to complete the factory reset. Once this is complete you can retry pairing your XR15 remote.

Pair the XR15 Remote to Control an Audio/Video Receiver or Soundbar:
*This will allow you to control your Audio/Video Receiver or Soundbar’s power and volume from the XR15 remote.

*While the TV and Audio/Video Receiver or Soundbar are on, press and hold the Xfinity and Mute buttons together for five seconds until the remote light at the top changes from red to green.
*Enter the first five-digit code listed for the Audio/Video Receiver or Soundbar manufacturer:

**Most likely code: 32454

**Valid code = remote light blinks green twice

**Invalid code = remote light blinks red, then green

*Aim the remote at the Audio/Video Receiver or Soundbar, and press the Power button. If the device turns off, turn the device back on and verify that the Volume and Mute buttons work as well.

You can also try the following:

*Press and hold the Microphone (Voice) button and say, "Program remote."
*You can also get there by going to the Settings page, selecting Remote Settings and then Voice remote pairing.

*Follow the prompts. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 months ago

I'm having the same problem as the original poster, however I have a Roku branded TV and Bose speakers.  Using the Xfinity on screen menus, I program my XR-15 remote to work with my Roku TV and it is able to power on/off the tv and change inputs.  When I program the remote to also use my Bose speakers, the remote can fully control the Bose speakers, however the power button on the remote only powers on/off the Bose speakers, not the TV as well.  The "TV Input" button on the XR-15 is still able to change inputs on the TV, so it does still appear to be paired to the TV.

After programming the remote for the Roku TV, I've tried using the onscreen menus as well as the 5 digit programming codes to program the remote for the Bose speakers.  In both cases, the Bose can be fully controlled, but the XR-15 is not able to turn off the Roku TV.

Is the XR-15 capable of controlling power for both a TV and speakers?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hey @wkay,

Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Community Forums support page. The remote should be able to control the TV Power, secondary audio device, and the cable set-top box. This is similar to how I have my televisions set-up with a soundbar. Are you able to go through the settings to program the remote but program to the TV and audio device? Skipping TV set-up might be causing confusion with the remote and overriding the television set-up. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 months ago

Dealing with the same issue here. XR15-UQ remote, TCL tv, Vizio sound bar (32545 code). No matter the steps used (reset remote & use the on-screen remote setup, or enter the programming codes manually), the remote loses the ability to turn the TV on or off and only controls power for the sound bar.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Hi @TransAMrit Thank you for reaching out on the Xfinity Community Forums. Are you able to go through the settings to program the remote but program to the TV and audio device? Skipping TV set-up might be causing confusion with the remote and overriding the television set-up.

1 Message

I am having the exact same issue that the other two customers were referring to…. And is shown in the video,  this appears to be a widespread problem. 

can someone help?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hi there, @user_dqudk6 I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are having with controlling your sound bar with your Xfinity remote. Since it's been a few days since you last posted this, are you still experiencing the issue?-Richard

1 Message

What is the fix? I am having the same problem. I have TCL TV and a Vizio Soundbar. My Vizio Soundbar worked fine on my LG TV, but I moved it to another room and now I am experiencing the same as the other folks.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

user_2ys3q7 Thank you for reaching out via our Xfinity Forum. To program your Xfinity Remote to control both a TV and a Soundbar, please review and follow these steps:

Program your voice remote to control your TV or audio device

• Press and hold the Microphone (Voice) button and say, "Program remote."
  • You can also get there by going to the Settings page, selecting Remote Settings and then Voice remote pairing.
  • Or you can use our online Remote Code Lookup tool or the Xfinity My Account app.

Program your remote using our online code lookup tool

1. Go to the Remote Code Lookup tool and pick the Voice Remote you have.
  2. Click Continue.
  3. Follow the steps in the tool to program your remote.

If you can't find the code in the lookup tool, check to see if your remote has a Setup button. Then, follow the steps below.

If your remote has a Setup button:

1. Turn on your TV.
  2. Press and hold Setup until the light at the top of the remote changes from red to green.
  3. Enter 9-9-1. The light should flash green twice.
  4. Keep pressing CH ^ until the TV turns off.
  5. Once the TV turns off, press Setup to lock in the code.
  6. Press the TV power button on the remote. If the TV turns on, you're all set!
If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know our team is here to help 7 days a week. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here