mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@radnortx1 wrote:

UHD is off to all HDMIs . . . so that's not it . . . off that it was ok for a while with power saving on on X1 box

at least two comcast Official Employees have gathered information on the 'no signal' issue. to date nothing has been said on cause nor fix.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@rlee131 wrote:

Acturally the light on my box in power saving mode does go off after a couple of hours after the tv is turned off.   Then in the morning it does not go on till I hit the remote turning on the box, Sound and TV.   This happend all the time until I change the HDMI setting that fixed the handshake.   Now when I get up in the morning about 50% of the time the X1 box light is on unlike previously when the the was not on till I hit the remote.  

Not a big deal, dont really care about the power saving mode its just that  for some reason it does not function as it did befor

Just an update  The handshake issue has not been a problem now for over a month since as suggested I turned off the UHD to that HDMI Port.   

But now the box light NEVER goes off (sleep mode) eventhough its set for power savings.  Had a tech out and he changed the X1 Box.  The first night it went to sleep after that it now never goes to sleep mode.     At least the handshake issue is resolved  NO THANKS TO COMCAST.  

Anyone know how to solve the issue of the box never going to power savings eventhough the power savings is turned on?

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Our light never goes off. In the last 7 days, only one black screen. 5 days so far in a row. Not sure we are really fixed. Did shut off instant on feature on our Samsung before the 5 day run. I’ll update again in a few days.

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

My 2014 Vizio P is affected with the same problems as above. I am now trying the sleep setting to on and turning off cec. We’ll see if that helps. But I agree with the above re: randomness of problem. Sometimes I go a week without issue and now it’s every day.

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Turning off cec and turning on power save mode didn’t work for my vizio tv. In fact my tv showed no signal issue 2 times tonight. I’m over it. It’s a waste of time and I’m not paying a cable company my money and my time. How archaic are cable boxes anyway in this day and age. Promising interface but the technology stinks. Oh well. Heading back to Fios. Hopefully Fios One is reliable.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

Did the tv and the cable box both come on at the same time first thing in the morning? This is the only time the power saver comes into play after sleeping at night. It has been working on other brand TVs. Why don’t you just downgrade your box to the older one you had before till they fix the problem with the 4K box. They have to come up with a solution sooner or later with so many people having the same issue.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Had 7 good days then it happened again. And there was a actual software update. 2 days now ok. But, it’s starting not to be worth it. Never had issues with FIOS. And also we are getting what I call jerky pictures. Motion slows for a split second just enough to be annoying. And it’s happening a lot.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Btw - box never goes into power save. Never. They really have issues that they are not addressing. Probably will switch back to Fios next week.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

I know it’s stressful! I was about to give up also till the work around came up. Actually I had made a appointment to downgrade my box to non 4K one I had previously but I’ve been fine for a couple of months now with my Samsung tv,. I couldn’t switch to another cable company because It’s Comcast or Direct Tv , no Fios in my area.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Exact same issue.  Multiple calls.  Its hard to believe this is a TV brand problem as I have a Vizio E70-F3 having the same issue as those mentioned with Samsung and Sony.  The boxes have a problem.  It's dissappointing that the internal apps of my TV have the ability to do what a device I'm paying a monthly rental for does not.  I'm not looking for the cheapest solution, I'm looking for a service that works.  If Comcast equipment doesn't catch up to 4k as more content becomes available they'll face a further wave of cord cutters who can no longer justify spending over $200 a month for something replaced by internet + a $50 device that does what theirs cannot consistently.  I'm rooting for a solution before I have to shop elsewhere.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Went 5 days this time and then a black screen. I will be asking $5 from Comcast fir everyday I have to reboot. If everyone stated doing that, maybe we’d see a fix. And I agree, not brand specific as my people claim.

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

5 years ago

@Rustyben wrote:

Comcast has not yet announced when the fix is ready for the 'wake up' issue with some TVs and the XG1v4 4k/UHD set top box. The simplist workaround is to change the TV HDMI input to any other port and then back to the HDMI port the set top box is connected. That way no reboot is necessary and you don't lose the current channel's buffer. 

This "simplest" workaround doesn't work for me. 

I have had this issue since July (it is almost April now). It has been 270 days in which I've had to reboot the XG1v4 box (by unplugging and replugging) nearly every single day. I've spoken with numerous Comcast techs. I've had four boxes and two techs in my home. I've been promised credits that have never appeared. 

One of the most recent Comcast customer service reps sounded almost antagonistic on the phone. He wasn't a tech, but he was recommending that I buy even more equipment to "fix" a problem -- in which he wouldn't listen to the various efforts that I've already tried or that he apparently had no skills in trying to diagnose.  He kept blaming both the TV and the "wiring in the house" -- despite the fact that I told him that we did not have this problem when I borrowed my sister-in-law's television. 

At this point, Directv and Dish Network are sounding very appealing. 

Regular Visitor

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

Some company is about to get put on Blast because Howard Stern is doing a whole segment on this situation right now...tune in!

@chrismireya wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Comcast has not yet announced when the fix is ready for the 'wake up' issue with some TVs and the XG1v4 4k/UHD set top box. The simplist workaround is to change the TV HDMI input to any other port and then back to the HDMI port the set top box is connected. That way no reboot is necessary and you don't lose the current channel's buffer. 

I have had this issue since July (it is almost April now). It has been 270 days in which I've had to reboot the XG1v4 box (by unplugging and replugging) nearly every single day. I've spoken with numerous Comcast techs. I've had four boxes and two techs in my home. I've been promised credits that have never appeared. 

One of the most recent Comcast customer service reps sounded almost antagonistic on the phone. He wasn't a tech, but he was recommending that I buy even more equipment to "fix" a problem -- in which he wouldn't listen to the various efforts that I've already tried or that he apparently had no skills in trying to diagnose.  He kept blaming both the TV and the "wiring in the house" -- despite the fact that I told him that we did not have this problem when I borrowed my sister-in-law's television. 

@chrismireya wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I've had this issue ever since getting my 4k box. I have a samsung hu8550 (2014). Tech came out and said to try new hdmi cable. Try new hdmi cables that exceed 4k specs and still have same issues. Only way to get picture is to power box off and on. Guess I need to try hdmi color off and also should try port 3 on my tv since its 2.2 hdcp capable. All the other hdmi ports are hdmi 2.0 which are 4k ready.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

My new DVR (model #AX014AM) periodically (seems like overnight, maybe during updates)  loses the connection with my TV even though it is hardwaired with a HDMI cable. The only way to get it to reset is hardboot the DVR. Obvisouly this is a problem that I need to fix. Any ideas on what settings I need to change to get this from happening again?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here