Spokane44's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Called Xfinity and asked about the availability of XG1v4 cable boxes at my location (WA state), which has the capability to stream 4k content through Netflix.  Was assured, with repeated confirmations, that they were available to the local service store, would just have to bring in my existing cable box and exchange it.  Bought a nice LG OLED TV, upgraded my Netflix account to receive Ultra HD, and took my box down to the local service center for exchange, per customer service direction.  You can probably guess what happened next - "sorry, we don't have any 4k boxes, don't know when we will".  Anyone else been misled by the Xfinity garbage customer service?  Went online to see what lies they convey on their website regarding this matter, and found this:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/   More misleading BS.  Wanted to warn anyone else potentially in the same situation as myself not to believe anything you are told or read about the availability of XG1v4 boxes; go to your service center first to confirm.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

6 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rarechaga wrote:

So does Comcast have any plans to provide 4K UHD/HDR content any time soon? Or else this STB is useless, because if you have a 4K TV you probably have Netflix already on it, and if you pay for the Premium, you already get everything that you would if you got this STB. 

I went to a friend's house that has Direct TV and the movies were in 4K, so there is some content out there, why can't we get it? 

Comcast hasn't annouced anything.  When they do, you will know.

Comcast just announced a new agreement with Amazon Prime. There may be some advantages using Comcast version through their 4K DVR versus using Amazon Prime 4K through our UHD television app.

Sounds like Netflix.  For one thing, I can access Netflix easier than using my TV's app, and some of my TV's don't have the app.

The Amazon Prime announcement is on top of X1 forum. anyone can read info. there.

It most likely will not work for me. No X1, 4K DVR, or Comcast cable. I would have to use my Amazon Prime app. Other's might like it.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

6 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

Sounds like Netflix.  For one thing, I can access Netflix easier than using my TV's app, and some of my TV's don't have the app.

My Apple TV 4k has performed the best as far as any streaming app, but I really like the convenience of just using my X1 box.

Problem is, I keep defaulting back to my Vizio TV's built in Netflix app because it doesn't start previewing a show that I happen to be browsing, which I find extremely annoying. 

Since Prime doesn't do that, I'll give the X1 Amazon Prime Video app a try when it launches for sure. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

6 years ago

Hello all,

Just a reminder.  If you place an order through our team here on XFINITY Help & Support Forums  - we don't charge a shipping fee. However, when we send a new DVR cable box, the billing system automatically adds an "Additional Outlet" charge because you technically have two active DVR cable boxes on the account. As soon as you return the old DVR - the system will automatically prorate the charge and apply a credit. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. If you would like to get a 4K DVR please post publicly in this thread to enable the PM feature. Then please send me a private message with your full name, the account holder's name as it's listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.  

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

6 years ago

I missing the point of having one of these boxes as others have pointed out, the Netflix app and other services are already on your tv's app. You do have to pick up another remote to access it but I would rather do that than pay an additional fee to Comcast. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@MSDOGS1976 wrote:

I missing the point of having one of these boxes as others have pointed out, the Netflix app and other services are already on your tv's app. You do have to pick up another remote to access it but I would rather do that than pay an additional fee to Comcast. 

if you have a non-4k DVR swapping to a 4k is the same price.

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

6 years ago

Having issues connecting to Netflix,Any advice?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@moncity423 wrote:

Having issues connecting to Netflix,Any advice?

Was your netflix working then it stopped or never worked?  did you try pressing the A button and select and run 'Reset Netflix'?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I was wondering if I can switch out my v3 for a v4 since I now have a 4k capable to.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@AlltimePro wrote:
I was wondering if I can switch out my v3 for a v4 since I now have a 4k capable to.

Hi, I moved your post to this thread. scroll back to the 8/5/2018 post by @CCElla and follow the directions there.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

True that q080 or even 720 is not uhd, however alot of TV's (mine are Hisense, Vigio, and Mitsubishi)

All hd and one is UHD 4k. They all have upscaling. This means they will make a point turn better quality even if it's not HD. What I believe the question above was he was asking does the x1 box make hd look better (i.e. upscaling) even if it's not 4k?.  I am not a Comcast rep, however I am hugely tech savvy. I'm the guy friends and family call before tech for things. 

So here's my best guess by experience, if your TV has upscaling (ask Google if your TV model does to find out) and you do have an x1 box, it should look better if your TV is seeing uhd compadibco box. When I turn on ps4 pro 4k is shows my inpits now as uhd HDMI instead of just saying HDMI with Comcast box. You also need to go into TV settings and change HDMI from standard to enhanced to Allow for rgb uhd.  You may need a better HDMI  cable f yours isn't a good one. The old HDMI were designed for 1080p and 4k MAY suffer some quality if yours isn't compatible. 

Hope this helps some, if not I will try to answer any questions regarding settings of your TV and HDMI cables. Please ask techs for Xfinity related tech questions.

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

I believe I can shed some additional light on this topic from the 4K perspective.  I have the Sony 75" x850e - I mention that because the settings nomenclature differs from one brand to another.
Also - be sure to read the manual that came with your TV.   
ON THE SONY TV, 4K UHD INPUT IS POSSIBLE ONLY ON HDMI 1 AND HDMI 2. 
I ripped-out what little hair I had left because I didn't realize it.   

When I received the XG1v4 box, and after I set it all up, I was disappointed with the set top box performance.  Some xfinity HD channels filled the screen (ABC, NBC & CBS) and most others did not.  On the channels that failed to fill the screen, the 1080P picture appeared centered on the 16:9, 2160P60 4K UHD picture that the STB was sending.  This caused a wide black frame to surround the picture.  For me, the fix was to change the TV screen setting from AUTO to Vivid.  Change the UHD setting from AUTO to On.   Presto.  The XG1V4 now upscales all content to 4K, and the pictures are stunning.  When the TV receives 4K Dolby Vision HDR10 content from 4K Apple TV or the Sony 4k HRD10 blue ray player, the pictures are not incrementally better than cable.  But the XG1V4 is a wow.  

One big task was to recalibrate the brightness, contrast, color, hue and everything else.  The "Vivid" factory settings are designed to compete with every other UHD picture in the store , and if you try to watch it in a dark room you will need sunglasses.  

One comment about cables - I did need one more cable because the 4K Apple TV runs a test before it will turn on HDR10 and DolbyVision.   But i didn't spend monster-sized bucks on a snake oil cable.   There are excellent cables on line right priced for the amount of copper in the product.  I added the link below because it's possibly the best made cable i've encountered for exactly the right price.  The specs are quite good and it performs as advertised.  I omitted the brand name.  The link will take you to Amazon.  The reviews you'll read there are absolutely true. 

4K HDMI 2.0 Cable  
Link: http://a.co/2Faa4SW

This High-Speed HDMI Cable supports HDMI 2.0b including 18 Gbps, Mirror & Extend mode, UltraHD 4K 2160p (up to 60 Hz 4:4:4), HD 2K 1080p (up to 240 Hz), QHD 1440p (up to 144 Hz), HDCP 2.2, 48-Bit Deep Color, 21:9 video aspect ratio, Audio Return(ARC), Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio and Hot plugging and multi-stream audio and video on this cable.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

6 years ago

@MikeToz wrote:

I added the link below because it's possibly the best made cable i've encountered for exactly the right price.  The specs are quite good and it performs as advertised.  I omitted the brand name.  The link will take you to Amazon.  The reviews you'll read there are absolutely true. 

4K HDMI 2.0 Cable  
Link: http://a.co/2Faa4SW

This High-Speed HDMI Cable supports HDMI 2.0b including 18 Gbps, Mirror & Extend mode, UltraHD 4K 2160p (up to 60 Hz 4:4:4), HD 2K 1080p (up to 240 Hz), QHD 1440p (up to 144 Hz), HDCP 2.2, 48-Bit Deep Color, 21:9 video aspect ratio, Audio Return(ARC), Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio and Hot plugging and multi-stream audio and video on this cable.

I have exactly that same cable, and I absolutely love it. It's sturdy and has actually ameliorated some of the issues I've had with my setup.  I'm going to upgrade the rest of my system with those cables. 

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Please assist in mailing a xg1v4 box.  Thanks

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Govolsnt wrote:

Please assist in mailing a xg1v4 box.  Thanks

hi, moved your post to this mega-thread. scroll back to 8/5 post by @CCElla and follow her directions.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Can you help me get one of these in the Boston area?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here