binaural2000's profile

Contributor

• 

37 Messages

Wednesday, February 24th, 2021 6:00 AM

Closed

X1 dvr recording limit changes/problems?

I’m so confused about what is going on with my x1 this morning. I have 2 x1 dvr boxes, percentage full has consistently stayed around 22-25% full the last several months with around 130 recordings give or take. All of a sudden this morning, my system says 91% full. There is a new notice in my menu saying you are limited to 150 hours of recordings and do I want to upgrade for another $10 a month?
What is going on? Did this pop up out of nowhere for anyone? I don’t recall seeing any notices of major changes or anything. I already have 2 x1 dvrs, the official Comcast site says I should then already have the “300 hour limit” due to that. I’m so confused what is happening, why my system changed so drastically overnight, and why it is trying to get me to “upgrade” to something I should already be getting. Does anyone have any advice what I should do? Just thought I’d try posting here first as I am dreading having to call in for this if it’s a new issue that isn’t even known much yet or not.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

3 years ago

Tek you can record a total of 150 hours of local storage on each X1 DVR TV Box. You have two options to protect your recordings:

How to Keep Your Recordings

• Save the recordings that matter most by marking them with Save for One Year. Learn how with step-by-step instructions for your X1 remoteXfinity Stream app and Xfinity Stream portal.
  • To make space for new recordings, delete recordings that you have already viewed or no longer need.
    • If you have upcoming scheduled recordings, you may want to reduce your number of stored recordings further to ensure you have space for your new recordings.
    • If your stored recordings were getting full, a letter was sent to you with a target % to get under to make sure you don't lose your recordings. To see your current storage %, go to your X1 guide, then to the Saved section, then Recordings.

I would definitely check your deleted files to make sure all your recordings are still there. 

Problem Solver

• 

830 Messages

3 years ago

I am here with the same question. I have a X1v4 and my box went the other way. It was around 60/70% full and this morning it dropped to 44% full. No recordings were deleted and I also have a message at the bottom of the list saying I have 150hrs and I can upgrade to 300hrs. 

In my case, suddenly my DVR has MORE space? How do these changes impact having a DVR with a hard drive? 

Problem Solver

• 

830 Messages

3 years ago

@ComcastThomasF wrote:

Tek you can record a total of 150 hours of local storage on each X1 DVR TV Box. You have two options to protect your recordings:

How to Keep Your Recordings

• Save the recordings that matter most by marking them with Save for One Year. Learn how with step-by-step instructions for your X1 remoteXfinity Stream app and Xfinity Stream portal.
  • To make space for new recordings, delete recordings that you have already viewed or no longer need.
    • If you have upcoming scheduled recordings, you may want to reduce your number of stored recordings further to ensure you have space for your new recordings.
    • If your stored recordings were getting full, a letter was sent to you with a target % to get under to make sure you don't lose your recordings. To see your current storage %, go to your X1 guide, then to the Saved section, then Recordings.

I would definitely check your deleted files to make sure all your recordings are still there. 

All my recordings are still present. Why would I go from 70/80% full to 45% full overnight? Did certain plans get increased storage? Based on my math, it would appear I gained 150 hours of storage. As to be 80% full and then suddently be 45% full would be mean they doubled my storage. The DVR PLAN Messages says I on a 150 hour plan, but the % indicates otherwise. 

I don't remember the exact percentage I was full last night, but it was around 80. 

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

We encountered the same issue. Last night the DVR was ~35% full, and today my wife encountered a message that it was ~90% full and asking us to upgrade our storage. Very little was recorded over night, and I was not aware of any changes. A call to 1-800-XFINITY was not helpful. Any chance someone could help me here?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

3 years ago

Hey, Tek! This is interesting for sure. We're not seeing any reason that this should have happened to you on our end (in general) but we would be happy to take a look at your account to see if we can identify and reason/cause/change. Let us know. 🙂

Problem Solver

• 

830 Messages

3 years ago

Seems like they are moving away from local storage and going all cloud at a cost.

Problem Solver

• 

830 Messages

3 years ago

It appears to me that the DVR Interface on the box now only displays the cloud space free. It is no longer displaying the local storage. I have 82 hours of cloud space left and my box says it is 45 percent full. Hence 82/150 is 55 percent free.

This update apparently removed the ability for X1 to read local storage.

My local recordings are far greater than 45 percent. More like 80 percent full locally. However, a ton of my recordings are old and are no longer in the cloud.

Sounds like Xfinity Engineers may need to look into the newest software.

Contributor

• 

157 Messages

3 years ago

Here is a reply directly from ComcastNima in another thread that states we should get 300 hours of recordings if we have two DVRs:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/I-have-two-DVRs-How-many-shows-should-I-be-able-to-record-at/m-p/3415699/highlight/true#M197220

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Hello,
We have the same problem. Our DVR was at 32%. No new recordings were added and we are now at 64% with the request to upgrade our DVR! The prices are already high. Please help! Phone customer service was no help and talked in circles.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

3 years ago

Hello, @kjakubowsk, thank you for reaching out on our Forum and giving me a chance to help you. I totally get where you're coming from, I pretty much live out of my DVR list. Other than sports I can't remember watching anything live lol. I have your back on this. In order to get started can you please send me a private message with your full name? To send a private message, click my name "ComastMarcos", then click "send message".

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

3 years ago

Hello, @ryanshmyan! Thank you for reaching out to us today over our Community Forums. We would be more than happy to check out your DVR storage concerns.

Please send us a Private Message with your first and last name. To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartinR" then select "Send a Message" on the right side. Thank you! 

Problem Solver

• 

1.3K Messages

3 years ago

@Jct777 Hey there! Thanks for the reply. Let's check on the DVR storage to make sure everything is looking good. Please send us a message by clicking on my profile name and then "send a message." 

Contributor

• 

37 Messages

3 years ago

This is exactly what I was thinking this morning in my post. With 2 DVR’s, shouldn’t I be getting the 300 hours? I did go back and forth a bit with support this morning on private messaging. After looking into it, they said I will only get 150 hours now because I pay an extra $10 dvr fee on only one box, and I’d need to pay yet another $10 added to my massive bill to now get the 300 hours. Seeing this official employee reply your provided seems to contradict what I was told, that one lines up more with what I was thinking in my post from this morning. PM to me did say there’s “150 hours local storage on each of my dvr’s, but I don’t see how that can really be utilized when it all just lumps together into one big main limit.

Contributor

• 

157 Messages

3 years ago

I decided to check my DVR storage (I have two DVRs) and it now says:

94% Full | 129 recordings

Something is definitely wrong since I should have 300 hours available to me (and I did yesterday).

Contributor

• 

37 Messages

3 years ago

If true, what a frustrating rollout with no notice and not ready to explain clearly to customers. I’d just recently gotten used to watching my internet usage like a hawk now to avoid going over the limit. Now having to decide out of nowhere which dozens of shows to delete today, or be forced to pay yet another $10 fee monthly to save them is pretty ridiculous. I’d been considering lately paying an extra $5 a month to be able to download Peacock shows for on the go, but I guess I’ll hold off on that for now. Who knows what other “fun changes” designed to increase our bills even more are soon to come. I guess I’m just struggling to see the logic in cutting our dvr limits drastically out of nowhere, when there are competitors that offer much higher and unlimited cloud storage.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here