kjakubowsk's profile

Contributor

• 

157 Messages

Sunday, February 14th, 2021 9:00 AM

Closed

I have two DVRs. How many shows should I be able to record at once?

We have two DVRs and currently have six shows scheduled to record at 9pm this coming Wednesday.  I just tried setting a movie to record and it is telling me that, if I record the movie, something else won't record.  I can swear I used to be able to record more than six shows at a time with two DVRs.  Did this change?

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

39 Messages

4 years ago

Hi @kjakubowsk and @BruceW

Yes, we updated our DVR recording policy in 2020. This change stemmed from a broader goal to bring consistency of experience across our local and Cloud DVR customers. As part of that initiative, a few areas we examined included: DVR storage space, recording retention policies and tuner usage. Fun fact: Before we updated the tuner threshold to 6 universally, we analyzed hundreds of millions of DVR recordings. The data indicated that 6 tuners met customer needs in more than 99.9% of recording scenarios.

[UPDATED 2/18/21]

For customers who add a second DVR, while we don't currently increase the number of simultaneous recordings that can be scheduled, we DO double your storage capacity (by providing an additional 150 hours). We also reserve additional Cloud storage capacity for recordings on that second DVR -- this doesn't impact a customer's total recording capacity, but it does provide the flexibility to access all recordings (from either DVR) for playback on mobile devices or computers.

Contributor

• 

157 Messages

4 years ago

I found an old thread saying that beginning in March 2020 you can only record six shows at a time but I have two DVRs.  Since I physically have more than six tuners, why am I being limited to six recordings at a time?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Comcast has been cutting costs in many ways over the last year or two, including limiting the number of simultaneous DVR recordings. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-overview says;

With DVR service on X1, you can record up to six* shows at once. ... You can't record more shows simultaneously, even if you have more than one X1 DVR.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here