Krazykarl1322's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, February 5th, 2020 4:00 PM

Closed

X1 4k 120hz capable box?

Recently purchased a 4k TV with an available refresh rate of 120hz. From what I'm hearing outside of the xfinity community, the X1 4k dvr box (XG1v4-A) is only able to put out 4k resolution at 60hz or 2k resolution at 120hz. First, is this true? If true is there any planned rollout of a box capable of 4k at 120hz? Second, if false, does the hdmi cable that is sent out with the X1 4k box capable of 4k at 120hz, as it is not labeled or info available on the web. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Krazykarl1322 wrote:

Recently purchased a 4k TV with an available refresh rate of 120hz. From what I'm hearing outside of the xfinity community, the X1 4k dvr box (XG1v4-A) is only able to put out 4k resolution at 60hz or 2k resolution at 120hz. First, is this true? If true is there any planned rollout of a box capable of 4k at 120hz? Second, if false, does the hdmi cable that is sent out with the X1 4k box capable of 4k at 120hz, as it is not labeled or info available on the web. 

You heard wrong!

Most cheap 4k televisions are still only 60Hz televisions. They all get 4k video. 120Hz televisions will show 4k video up to a frame rate of 60. 60Hz televisions show 4K up to a 30 frame rate.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

4 years ago

I'm not sure if there is any 4K material sent at 120Hz. Most likely, your TV just takes regular 60Hz and upconverts it to 120Hz. It's mainly marketing gobbeldygook that is meaningless in the real world.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks, I figured there was some form of upconverting happening by my TV with the current signal. What I didn't want happening is that the output of the box is being limited by the hdmi cable that Comcast provides, as there's little info on it and several forum questions that are looking for answers and which speculate the cable is not able to best support the 4k singal. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

I don’t think that’s ever been stated exactly, maybe in tech’s notes. You’ll just get a normal hdmi cord, if you want something different, that’s on you.. You can always pick one up and see how it works for you personally, and return it if you don’t care for it.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@Krazykarl1322 wrote:

You heard wrong!

Most cheap 4k televisions are still only 60Hz televisions. They all get 4k video. 120Hz televisions will show 4k video up to a frame rate of 60. 60Hz televisions show 4K up to a 30 frame rate.

I appreciate your response, however, you didn't answer my questions regarding the box's output and hdmi cable provided by Comcast. The TV in question is a Samsung Q70 which is spec'd at 4k and 120hz. So I'd still like to know what the specd output of the Comcast 4k box is and what the spec of the Comcast hdmi cable that gets provided with the 4k box is? 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

4 years ago

Quoted:

"I appreciate your response, however, you didn't answer my questions regarding the box's output and hdmi cable provided by Comcast. The TV in question is a Samsung Q70 which is spec'd at 4k and 120hz. So I'd still like to know what the specd output of the Comcast 4k box is and what the spec of the Comcast hdmi cable that gets provided with the 4k box is? "

I have a Samsung 3D, Curved UHG Television circa 2015. If you read your manual you will find your television operates at both 60 Hz and 120 Hz (when put into sports mode). What matters is that you replace any older HDMI cable with a high-speed one rated for 4K.

The older HDMI cables were only good to 1080P signals. To check out your television, you should got to You Tube. Search for "4K, UHD, HDR, 8K (will play as 4K version)" The select the 3Dots menu to set the particular video to 4K. (blue 4K icon) is 4K, select it if different. Chose the resolution from list to force video output.   If you choose the Nerd icon on far right of row it will show the true output of that particular video and audio. Depending on equipment used by the person supplying the video the picture may be 25, 30, or 60 frame rate for 4K videos. Refresh rates are a separate function of the television and how you set it up. Remember you get what you pay for. Not all brands, or models, are equal.

Use the You Tube search field for HDR, 4K, 8K, test patterns to insure yourself that you are set up properely to view your television for 4K and HDR. People new to 4K can easily fool themselves to thinking they are watching 4K, when all they are seeing is a 4K 720p signal upscaled to 4K, since the new tv picture looks better.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Above answer is outdated.  I agree in principle that you need to look at your TV specifications.  Is it NATIVE 120 HZ? or effective?  Effective means 60 Hz that they try to increase via software (does not really work). 

All of the late 2020 TV and 2021 TV that are 4k will be NATIVE 120 Hz.  Sadly Roku only broadcast in 60 Hz.  I am unsure if xfinity actually broadcast in 120 Hz.  Be very wary when someone identifies as a "comcast expert" particularly when they fail to directly answer your question.  Perhaps not so much an "expert."  Should only call yourself an expert when you know the answer for sure and can provide 2 things.........details and references.  (references trump details).

Hence I am no expert.

The fact that xfinity does not specify leads me to believe that they broadcast in 60 Hz and your TV (if 120 Hz) merely repeats the frame twice.  (that is common in the industry).

Contributor

• 

387 Messages

4 years ago

After reading this thread since you bumped it up I agree. I would like to get a clarification also. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here