U

Tuesday, January 2nd, 2024 3:49 AM

Closed

TV goes black for a few minutes then comes back on... happens 3-4 times a day

I just upgraded to X1 last month after having the basic Comcast/Xfinity cable for 20 years. Ever since upgrading, the TV picture/sound goes out randomly 3-4 times a day (It works perfectly 90% of the day). Sometimes it'll go a day or two with no problems if I'm lucky. It stays off for a few minutes, then comes back on. Sometimes there will be an error code, RDK-03033, "we're having trouble connecting to the internet..." I don't even have internet with Xfinity (or even cable internet for that matter). Everything is securely tightened. The old cable box I had worked perfectly for 20 years using the same exact connection. 

Does the X1 box require a stronger or different signal or connection? Right now, the coaxial cable coming from the street is actually a double cable, with one end going into the cable box and the other going to nothing. This is the same exact double coax cable that was used for TV in this house in the 80's. 

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? Maybe I need to combine those two ends of the cable into an adapter of some sort to get a stronger signal? Maybe I need a whole new cable coming from the street? I'm hoping there's an easy fix I can do before calling a tech.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

9 months ago

Hello @jpuccia we definitley want to ensure you can always enjoy your services with us so you can get the proper entertainment you need. I know I wouldn't be too happy with my image cutting out like that, so we'll make sure we do all we can to help! Are you having this same issue across multiple cable boxes, or is only one impacted? I appreciate you sharing the error you are seeing as that is helpful! Is the RDK-03033 the only error you are seeing when one pops up? Typically, that error indicates there is a connection issue with your signal. Have you used our Status Center to see if you are in service interruption during the time the picture cuts out?

8 Messages

@XfinityKatie

It's only one cable box, the main one. There is a secondary smaller box in another room that works fine.

RDK-03033 is the only error code I ever get. It says "we're having trouble connecting to the internet". Could it be that this particular box has to have an internet modem connected to it to work properly? Are there other types of X1 boxes that might work better? This is the XG2-V2P model. 

The Status Center says there are no outages when this happens. But it also says "A System Refresh is currently unavailable because your main TV box is offline". But my main box is indeed on. However I do have a couple extra boxes that I don't use that I need to return. Is it possible that there is another box that isn't hooked up that's supposed to be used as the main box?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@jpuccia Those are all great points. The Xg2 box does act as the primary TV Box for non-X1 DVR customers. Or for X1 customers it can also be used as a 4th device. With this error if your troubleshooting through the Xfinity app or Xfinity assistance is not able to resolve the issue I would recommend having a technician come out to take a look. Issues like this can be caused by damage to the coax line, splitters or poor connections outside your home. In areas where there is cold weather ice can impact the lines connected to your home as well causing connection issues. If you take a look at the coax line check for any cuts or punctures, pinches or damaged sections. If you have any unused splitters attached to the line make sure to remove those as well. Once you have ensured the coax line is in good condition you can also say refresh into your voice remote to complete a system update. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

8 months ago

I am having the same issue on the main box in our living room.. same code error and tonight at least 5 times while watching a program it went black and then cut back to the main screen with all the streaming options. This happens daily now.. even though my wifi says 6 or full bars

8 Messages

I don't even have wifi with Xfinity and it happens to me. What model box do you have?

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

We are glad to take a look at what is going on for you @user_80emai.  Please feel free to shoot us a private message detailing your issue so that we can get to work on this for you right away.  

To send a "direct message" / "private message" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging 

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

8 Messages

you think you might be able to help me?

8 Messages

6 months ago

My X1 cable TV has been going out multiple times a day. I have an XG2v2-P box. The screen goes black and sound cuts out for a few minutes a couple times a day randomly. I usually get error code RDK-03033 "can't connect to the internet..."

I don't have even have internet with Xfinity or any type of cable internet. I currently have Verizon FiOS. Does this cable box require Xfinity internet? Does it require any internet connection? I'm getting tired of dealing with this as it's been happening for months. 

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled X1 cable goes out multiple times a day

Official Employee

• 

4K Messages

Hello, @user_jp12d1s! Thanks for letting us know you are still having issues. We can certainly have a look into this and see what could be going on with your issue. Can you please click the Direct Message icon at the top right of the page, click on the pen and pad icon, enter Xfinity Support in the "To" section of the chat, and provide us with your first/last name and full address so we may further assist you?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here