eastmoreland's profile

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

Sunday, October 3rd, 2021 6:15 PM

Closed

Smart Resume not working correctly

For the last week or so on my X1, the Smart Resume feature has started to resume too soon.  That is, when a commercial starts and I hit fast forward, the fast forwarding stops somewhere between 30 seconds and 90 seconds before the program starts playing again.  So I'm forced to watch at least one commercial before the program starts, unless I manually skip or fast-forward through them.

When I look at the blue and yellow bar indicating where the smart resume window is in the programming stream, it actually looks like the whole smart resume window is skewed about 30-90 seconds early.  That is, the yellow part starts before the commercials start, and the yellow part ends before the commercials end.

Anyone else notice this problem?  I haven't actually reported this to Xfinity Support, but I hope someone might be monitoring this and could address this if it is a general problem.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I forgot to mention the biggest issue I had with Smart Resume. When I’d fast forward through the commercials, it then would back up about a minute and play part of the commercials I just skipped. But if I then pressed fast forward again too soon, it would back up again and replay the same last minute of commercials again. So, I would have to watch about 10 seconds of the commercial again and THEN press fast forward, and then once actually past the commercials, press play. Since it was now requiring so much extra interaction, I turned off Smart Resume. It’s easier to just fast forward, watch the screen, and then press play once past the commercial. When Comcast first implemented Smart Resume, it worked great. But not anymore. I can only assume that Comcast changed this intentionally so that customers would have to see the last commercial before a show resumed. Remember, Comcast owns NBC, so perhaps this now allows the network to charge more for the last commercial spot before a show resumes. Either that, or they tried to improve it in their app and in doing so, messed up the experience for those using an Xfinity DVR.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@Crusader13​ I just disabled Smart Resume. Problem solved.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

That’s not really a solution.   It’s the only feature that makes Comcast a contender and it doesn’t work.  This has been going on for over a year.  I’m on my third box.   It worked for awhile when I swapped out boxes, but since we normally get refurbished boxes that no longer solves the problem.   I’m convinced it’s a revenue feature for Comcast and my $200 a month is not sufficient enough for me to have the features I’m paying for.  

Problem Solver

• 

735 Messages

@user_56b02b

Good afternoon! Thank you for reaching out to us here through our Xfintiy forums regarding these concerns with your Smart Resume feature. It is an amazing feature that we want to be sure works well for you and we are glad to offer our support for this.

I would like to work on this as a ticket through your account. Since you have tried replacing the cable boxes and other troubleshooting, we would like to look at this further. Can you send us a direct message so we can enter this ticket and work directly through your account, please?

Here's the detailed steps to Direct Message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message

I no longer work for Comcast. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

How much you figure Comcast gets for that last ad, eh?

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@user_437b26​ I just disabled Smart Resume. Problem solved.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

2 years ago

I just disabled Smart Resume. Problem solved.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@Audiomixer​ me too. More trouble than it was worth. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

It has been months and nothing? C’mon Comcast! I am convinced this is a way for Comcast to force feed paid advertising regardless of the features their customers are paying for. I’ve just about reached the end of my cable.

Official Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

Hello, @user_dde96f and thread. We definitely want Smart Resume to work correctly and do not intend for commercials to play while using it. I understand the frustration and really enjoy the feature as well. I was able to find a ticket earlier in the year from our Engineering team that was working on this issue. Checking again today the previous work was completed and I am no longer seeing an open ticket for this which is why we want to go through our troubleshooting ticket system to get ensure this problem is resolved. If you have already tried the troubleshooting steps listed in this thread such as sending signals to your equipment or changing it out please send us a direct chat message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here are the detailed steps to direct message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Press Enter to send your message

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

@XfinityRay​ The problem still exists for me on all the channels that support Smart Resume, though the timing is now almost always about 30 seconds of commercials not skipped (it used to vary widely among channels).  I've sent you a message to that effect, as listed above.  However, if you respond to those personal messages, I never know about it unless I happen to look.  It would be nice if a response to those personal messages would trigger an email, like a response to this thread does.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

@eastmoreland, you do have the option to edit your notification preferences in your profile settings in our forum. I see that we're already working together on a direct message and look forward to working with you to get a fix. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

Yes, I can edit my notification preferences.  But when I looked at them, every one was set to have both an email and a platform response.  However, when you posted the very message I'm now responding to, NO NOTIFICATION was sent to me.  I only noticed that you responded because I got an email that someone else had responded.  When other folks respond to this topic in the forum, or when they "like" it, I get an email.  However when an "Official Xfinity Employee" responds, I do NOT get any notification, even though I've got my account set to notify me whenever anything happens.  So something is seriously wrong with your message board.  

Also, as I've said before, when you direct message me, I do NOT get any notification of it.  Again, something is seriously wrong with this message board,

Official Employee

• 

32 Messages

Thank you for your feedback regarding the notifications on our  message board. I am not sure why you are not getting notifications from us. We will have to look into this. I do understand your skepticism since you been down this road before. Please know our engineers are working on this matter. Thank you for bearnig with us while they work toward a resolution. We will let you know as soon as we have an update to share. 

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Same exact issue here in Maple Falls, WA.  Today's date March 4, 2022.

One "trick" I figured out that helps, but helps very little, is, when the smart resume hits the end of the commercials and starts to back up where it will actually start playing some or all of that last commercial, wait until it rewinds just to the point where the yellow bar ends and then press the PG UP button once.  This will fast forward a little bit and at that point you might only need to fast forward or rewind a little bit to get back to the show again.

It helps, but this is definitely a very annoying bug.  Maybe their programmers aren't smart enough to figure this out if it's taken so long from the very first report of this I've seen.  Goes to show what off-shore labor (or lack thereof) is really worth when it comes to customer satisfaction.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I had tech here to fix this and he acted like he hadn’t heard of it. The box was reset and not replaced even though we’re other issues with playback of recordings…the man walked around and tested a few lines. Then left. My remote is barely responsive to any inputs. 

Official Employee

• 

746 Messages

Hi thank you for reaching out to Xfinity Forums, I understand you had a tech visit however you are still having issues with the cable. Were you looking to swapping your box?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

This problem has not been resolved. I actually changed out my box and got a new remote. The first time I used it, perfection! The FF stopped right where it should have.  But second to line I used it up to today, a good 60-90 seconds off.

Smart resume works perfectly with my IPad.

I am also in Portland.

What is the solution? 

Problem Solver

• 

577 Messages

@user_7939cf Hello and good afternoon, and thank you for reaching out over our Xfinity Community Forum. I am so sorry to hear that you are still experiencing these issues even after changing out your box, that would definitely be frustrating. I would be more than happy to assist you in getting this resolved, no problem at all. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

32 Messages

2 years ago

@user_7939cf​ the solution is for Xfinity to admit they have a problem and figure out how to fix it.  After all, they are supposed to be the experts.  This issue has been ongoing for at least 5 months now.  I started trying to get someone to listen back in October of 2021 (the issue had been ongoing for at least a month before that).  Xfinity has changed out my X1 FOUR times and still no joy.  Like you, one of the box replacements resulted in Smart Resume working for the first night.  After that, the delay was back.  As you're probably aware, Xfinity does daily updates.  Apparently, I've been trying to explain to them that there's some code within the daily updates that corrupts the Smart Resume feature.  Another issue I have is that when you record something, quite often the recording is cut off approximately 30 to 45 seconds too soon so you end up missing a critical part.  I'm so fed up with Xfinity right now that I fully intend to cancel my account and go with one of the streaming services.  I pay over $200 per month and expect more from the folks who are supposed to be the best in the business.  I'm sure I can save money and adjust to streaming everything.  Maybe if enough of us jump ship they will finally understand that they have an extremely disgruntled base.  I'm done!

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@JP98683​ I extended all my recordings to end 3 min after the show for exactly those reasons. They are the only ones with smart resume. Even the xfinity streaming still has ff like all the rest, which may help us all get acclimated back to no smart resume then they'll miss out on their higher priced ad placements.

I've been using the ff at 4x then wait til the time numbers jump (usually 2-3) then resume ff til the program starts. This has helped in the stupid loop they put you in if you jump out too fast

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

2 years ago

I am now on my second round of Xfinity being very concerned about this situation and wanting me to document exactly which programs recorded on which dates have the problems, so they can look at my system and see what's going on.  I did this a few days ago, noting seven or eight programs (recorded from CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, and CW) and exactly how long the gap was between Smart Resume ending and program resuming.  So maybe they can learn something from my system.

However, I did EXACTLY the same thing a month or two ago, and nothing ever came of it.  And I don't think the employee who DM'd me to ask for the info had any idea that I had already done all that before.  So who knows if anything actually gets done.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@eastmoreland​ I've been following this for awhile and most seem to be turning off the smart resume. I first noticed this only on the west coast. I've talked to friends in Florida & Illinois and they didn't have this problem month/years ago. Now they are also seeing it. We must have been the trial people and they think they'll just play dumb and nothing will come of it.

Official Employee

• 

376 Messages

Hello! I hope that you're having a wonderful Monday! I see that our Engineers have updated the ticket, and it shows that your issue has been resolved. Have you spoken with someone on our Advanced Support team about this resolution? -Ty

Visitor

• 

32 Messages

2 years ago

@eastmoreland​ The Xfinity employee's name didn't happen to be Don did it?  I've gone through the exact same process with him twice myself.  I provided the information and then never heard back other than to say that he was working with "backline" support.  I've asked that someone from "backline" support contact me directly so I can explain the situation in person rather than go through a middle man.  To date my request has not been granted.  I've found that any program recorded on ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX or CW during prime time (which are the only recordings where Smart Resume is supposed to work) has a 15 to  45 second period following automatic stop where commercial and/or future programming information occurs.  I've advised every Xfinity employee that I've spoken with that I believe the problem lies in the software code surrounding the Smart Resume functionality.  In the past 6 months I've had my X1 DVR swapped out 4 times and the problem still exists.  I had an installation Tech come on site to check all my connections and configuration of all my boxes (I have 3).  After fiddling around for about an hour he advised me that Smart Resume was supposed to have a 30 to 60 second delay after resuming.  I know that is not the case as Smart Resume worked perfectly up until September of 2020.  As I've worked this issue I've discovered another frustrating issue.  Recorded programs often end 30 to 60 seconds before they are supposed too thereby often cutting off the most crucial portion of the show.  This is especially annoying when the show is a mystery or drama and you miss the final scene of who did it.  I have developed a workaround that works fairly well.  I reprogrammed the page up and page down buttons so that page up forwards 30 seconds and page down goes back 15 seconds.  I've conditioned myself to automatically press the page up button one time after smart resume ends.  Depending on the show I'm recording I sometimes have to press the page down button so the recording rewinds 15 seconds.  More often than not a 30 second "forward" will let the recorded program start again where it's supposed too.  To be honest, I'm about done with Xfinity.  I'm seriously considering cutting the cord altogether and just using one or two of the streaming services.  It will more than likely be more cost effective and less frustrating than dealing with a company that doesn't appear to want to listen to it's customers.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@JP98683​ I've had CW work. I've been using the ff at 4x then wait til the time numbers jump (usually 2-3) then resume ff til the program starts. This has helped in the stupid loop they put you in if you jump out too fast

Contributor

• 

83 Messages

2 years ago

This issue just started for us on Wednesday. It seems like the ‘clock’ is off by about 40 seconds. At the end of smart resume, I do a 30 second skip and a few seconds after that, the program resumes. It is not channel specific. 
am I going to call this in? No, it would be a waste of my time. So I’ll just deal with it until it gets fixed. 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@R.Vicini​ Good luck! It isn’t going to get fixed. We have all been on this thread for months and months. And it’s nice that you can do a 30 second skip. Many of us are blocked from fast forwarding at all and have to sit through a minute of commercials. I finally disabled smart resume months ago. Good luck waiting on your fix.

Contributor

• 

83 Messages

@Jens0874 blocked from fast forwarding… you mean with DVR recording?

anyways, to add further issues I notice with this…

I have noticed also that the recording seems to start about 30 to 40 seconds earlier. So, I’m. It so sure this is a Smart Resume than it is a “Clock” issue. 
think about it, if the records are starting about 30 - 40 seconds earlier, smart resume is off by 30 - 40 seconds earlier, recording stops just before the end of program 30 - 40 seconds earlier… I say it’s a Clock that is off by this time. 
Would also explain why it does it on all channels as well. 
just my 2¢

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I have the same issue.  How do I turn off this terrible feature?  Fastforward worked fine before.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I’m having the same problem.  So far, this feature is terrible for me and I was doing just fine with the normal fast forward.  How do I turn off this feature?

Visitor

• 

32 Messages

@user_53a7df

Press Xfinity button on your remote

Go to Settings (Gear)

Go to Preferences

Go to General

Go to "Smart Resume for Records

It should be "ON" 

Press the OK button (which should turn it "OFF")

You should be good to go.

Contributor

• 

83 Messages

2 years ago

Programs recorded, Walking Dead (yes, I know this doesn’t have smart resume) and SWAT

Both recordings started 30 seconds earlier and stop recording 30 seconds earlier. 

I'm convinced this is not a “Smart Resume” issue. It has something to do with the system time. 

Visitor

• 

32 Messages

@R.Vicini​ I also have this issue as well as issues related to Smart Resume.  I believe both are related.  There's something in the software code that affects the timing of both Smart Resume and the start and stop times of all programs.  Apparently, Xfinity no longer has coders capable of finding and fixing the issues.  We've been dealing with these issues for the past 6 months.  Unfortunately, I doubt we will ever see a resolution to the issues.  Xfinity continues to get their money so they are not really concerned with customer complaints.  If they were really concerned the problems would have been fixed a long time ago.  In the near future I intend to "cut the cord" I'm just waiting until my current contract is up so I won't have to pay any penalties for early termination.  Enough is enough!

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Just as bad on main channels for me. TLC isnit too bad. 

Contributor

• 

83 Messages

@JP98683​ if the start /  stop times were correct, smart resume would be in line. 
just my opinion. It’s also really upsetting that the Comcast Employees on here don’t even have the balls to acknowledge us. 

Contributor

• 

157 Messages

2 years ago

Smart resume seems fine for us on the main broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc) but it is way off on HGTV.  There are sometimes two full commercials left on HGTV when smart resume stops fast forwarding.

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

@kjakubowsk​ just as bad on main channels for me. TLC is pretty good. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here