LeeSoFL's profile

Contributor

• 

410 Messages

Tuesday, January 28th, 2020 5:00 AM

Closed

Max of Six Recordings Starts March 2020

Beginning Friday, March 20, 2020, you will be able to record a maximum of 6 programs at one time.

I have two xg1-v4 DVRs in the house.  Does that mean 6 per box?

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

4 years ago

@LeeSoFL wrote:

Beginning Friday, March 20, 2020, you will be able to record a maximum of 6 programs at one time.

I have two xg1-v4 DVRs in the house.  Does that mean 6 per box?

**UPDATED 02/19/2020: Included additional help links**

@LeeSoFL 

Thank you for posting your question here in the Xfinity Forum. X1 Cloud DVR customers are currently able to record six concurrent programs in the cloud for each XG1 on their account. In an effort to align our DVR product across all subscribers, in March 2020, Comcast will cap the total number of concurrent cloud recordings at six regardless of the number of additional XG1s on the account.

Note: Reducing the number of tuners will not affect the amount of cloud recording hours customers currently receive or their DVR recordings.

For additional information about X1 DVRs and storage capacity see here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-storage-overview, here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-overview, and here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xtv-web-managing-scheduled-cloud-dvr-recordings

For additional FAQs related to X1 Cloud DVR see here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-recording-playback-faqs & here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

maybe the cloud DVR will record 6 channels now not 'reduced number' when companion devices are using the DVR (hub's) tuners? or maybe the companions will be using IPTV instead of the DVR (hub's) tuners? interesting.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Assuming that message was found on a billing statement, it’s vague and really doesn’t make a specific reference. Each X1 dvr already has that ability, unless you’re using the XG1V1.

Contributor

• 

410 Messages

4 years ago

fourth paragraph on new billing:

Capture.PNG

Contributor

• 

410 Messages

4 years ago

The issue would be present if you're auto-buffering your programs, where a show starting at 9:00 actually starts recording at 8:59, and another program ending at 9:00, auto extends to 9:01.  

All you would need is all six program recording from 9:00 to 9:01 and you've reached capacity.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Since it doesn’t specify X1 or not, it may be geared towards legacy equipment. Unfortunately that paragraph just lacks details. X1 has had the ability to record 6 dependent on the other X1 equipment

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

4 years ago

Legacy boxes only have 2 tuners, so the message would not apply.

Some older X1 boxes were limited to 5 tuner recordings, even though they had 6 tuners. Maybe they removed the limit.

Maybe this also refers to cloud recording limits?

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

4 years ago

Just received my latest bill and see a notice saying that after March 20 we will be restricted to recording 6 programs simultaneously. Can someone who knows the policy, rather than speculating, tell me why the policy change? I have two Comcast DVRs and although I don't try to record more than 6 but it sometimes happens. Since I'm paying for 2 DVRs and each can record 5 programs I should be allowed to use all 10 channels.  

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

4 years ago

Knowing Comcast I think we can safely assume it means 6 recording period no matter how many devices we own. I will assume they are trying to stop scammers from recording new movies and distributing them on DVDs. But I think the limit of 6 is too low. The limit should be 10 so if you own 2 DVRs you are not restricted. I think the Comcast executives are unaware of how many house holds have more than 1 DVR.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

I don’t think scammers is a problem, by the time a movie hits cable, it’s well into the pirating process. But it’s been escalated to hear from an Official Employee
for clarification

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

4 years ago

Received a letter in the snail mail confirming the new policy that we will be limited to 6 recordings simultaneously. I still think this is wrong. If I have 2 Comcast DVRs and each can record 5 programs then I should be allowed to record 5 programs per DVR. 

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

4 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

Received a letter in the snail mail confirming the new policy that we will be limited to 6 recordings simultaneously. I still think this is wrong. If I have 2 Comcast DVRs and each can record 5 programs then I should be allowed to record 5 programs per DVR. 

Was the mail unsolicited?

I am presently paying for the X1 Premier Quad Play.

Which plan are you paying for?

I'm in the signature tier which is Phone,Internet,TV one level under the 1Gb internet tier. I use 2 DVRs and often in the evenings and Sunday morning record 5 or 6 shows simultaneously. And there are times that the overlap minutes could push me higher than that.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

4 years ago

Yes the letter was unsolicited. I assume it was a general mailer to everyone who owns more than 1 DVR.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

Yes the letter was unsolicited. I assume it was a general mailer to everyone who owns more than 1 DVR.

Was it an email or a letter in the mail?

They previously stated this;

"@WindsurfMaui wrote:

Received a letter in the snail mail 

Contributor

• 

410 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the reply.  

That pertains to cloud based service. 

If I'm recording on the DVR's hard drive, would that affect the number of simultaneous recordings?   

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here