U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, May 12th, 2021 7:27 PM

Closed

HBO Max - Not Playing Videos on TV

This just started happening yesterday.  I go to Apps on my Xfinity tv menu and it brings me into my HBO Max account.  Up until now, I have been able to play videos without problems on my tv.  When I click play to watch a show, it acts like it's going to start playing but then pushes me back out to the Home menu.  It does this with any movie and show.  If I click on the trailer icon, it will play the trailer, but it will not play a show or movie.  I have done an Xfinity reset and a system refresh.  I have also check the strength of my wifi and it is fine.  I have the HBO Max app on my phone and the videos play fine.  Any advice? 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

3 years ago

Hello, @, thank you for reaching out in our forum and giving me a chance to help with your HBO Max TV app issues. I binged watched Mare of Easttown over the weekend, and love watching the new movies that premiere on there, so I can only imagine your frustrations when you're just trying to relax. I have your back on this and can definitely help you out. To make sure we're on the same page, are any error messages or error codes popping up on your screen? Have you taken any other troubleshooting steps on your end? 

Regular Visitor

• 

16 Messages

I have been having the same problem for several days now. If I select the play button on HBO Max it shows another show with the play button selected. If I select the play button with the remote another show is displayed with the play button selected… forever in a loop. There is no way to play an HBO Max show through the xfinity X1 cable box 

Regular Visitor

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

Was this ever fixed?  Having the same problem and not getting any help from Comcast. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

Hello, @KF2417. I'm sorry to hear you are still having trouble with this.

Do you experience this with any show you try to watch or is it just a select few?

I no longer work for Comcast.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

I'm having the exact same issue and the problem is the same with any show. It's stuck in a loop that never plays a show only goes back to the original page.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Having the same issue. Only works if I cast from the app on my phone

Gold Problem Solver

• 

541 Messages

Good morning, @user_aac0ac, and thank you for reaching out through our Community Forums page for help with the HBOMax app! I'm sorry to see that you are experiencing issues with playing movies through your X1 box.

We are aware of some problems the app is having, and a fix for these issues is expected soon. In the meantime, customers can resolve the issue by signing out of the HBO Max app on their X1 or Flex device, then clearing cookies and local storage data (Xfinity > Settings(Gear)  > Privacy > Clear). Please note that this will log customers out of all other apps and they will need to log in again. They will then need to re-authenticate their device.

For additional assistance with clearing data, please visit https://comca.st/3gACiJi.

Let us know if you continue to experience issues with HBOMax after using this solution.

I no longer work for Comcast

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I am having the same issue with one of my xfinity boxes.  plays fine on a diff box in the other room.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am unable to watch anything on HBO MAX on my Comcast system.  It returns me to the home page every time I try to select a program.  I did a reset on my infinity app and still can not watch anything past the home page.  Other apps are working well, my WiFi is working well too.  Any suggestions to get this app working.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

on your cable box go to settings, privacy, and clear cookies and local storage data.  this corrected my issue with hbomax app

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

908 Messages

Hello, user_1339f0! Did the solution user_0590c9 offered resolve your issue?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Yes it fixed my issue.  I had to log back on to the app as a first time user, but it still had all my info that I originally entered during my setup.  But once back on I could watch movies or series without a problem.

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_1339f0 I am glad to hear this was resolved for you! Thank you for getting back to us! If anything further comes up, please don't hesitate to reach out! We are here to help! 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Clearing of the cookies worked for me as well.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

on your cable box go to settings, privacy, and clear cookies and local storage data.  this corrected my issue with hbomax app

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

What about if you get a black screen.  Clearing cookies doesn't help

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hey @user_c24dc0. Thanks for reaching out. I'd be happy to look into this for you. Are you still having these black screen HBO Max issues?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

have the same issue for over a week now.  any solution?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello @user_897b50 and thank you for reaching out to us. Please feel free to start a new thread with your concern so we can be able to provide you with support. Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to hearing from you. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I just posted about having this problem with it not playing on my main cable box. I tried clearing cookies and entered my login and now it’s working. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I cleared cookies and it worked for 2 days.  But now getting the same issue.  Slightly annoying because need to login again to all apps, like Netflix, hulu, etc 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello, @user_de43a8. Thank you for following up and letting us know the status of your situation. I understand it happened again after clearing cache and cookies. I know it's a pain having to log in to each app all over again, and I appreciate you giving that a try. How is everything go far? Did you perhaps clear your cache and cookies again? If so, have you seen any improvement?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

When on 6/21 does the HBO Max free service

end

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

What time of day on 6/21 does the Free HBO Max offering end?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello there @user_dc64f3! Thanks so much for taking a moment out of your busy day to leave a post on our community forum about details on the HBO Max free service offer. With most offers for subscriptions, the time frames are set by the provider or, in this case, network. For details on these offers, the details are typically listed on the page with the offer or the signup screen. You can also find more information on HBO Max offers on their site directly as well. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Clearing the cookies did not fix my problem. I contacted support last week and all they kept telling me was that I was not an HBO subscriber.  No matter how many times I explained that I did sign up for HBO max through downloading the app to my phone, not through xfinity.  Last week the screen would go black when I launched the app.  Today it just keeps telling me that there was an error with the app and gives me the choice to relaunch or exit.  Relaunch gives me a blank purple screen.  No choice to log in.  No choice to find content.  

This comment has been converted into a post
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here