yoterryh's profile

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

Friday, December 15th, 2023 7:04 AM

Closed

Xumo stream box shuts itself off

After a 28% increase in my Comcast bill, I called customer service to see what could be done. I had a very minimal cable package but fast internet. I never had even hooked up the cable box that I got from Comcast since I didn't really need it. What they offered was a pretty good deal including a new stream box from XUMO. I went to my local Xfinity store, took in my old cable box and came home with the new Xumo. I was able to get it set up and configured and add in credentials for the various streaming service I use outside of Comcast. Everything seemed to be working fine. After a few hours I came back to watch TV and noticed that when I turn the TV on after a few seconds the power light on the Xumo went out. Now I can't make it work at all! If I remove the power supply and plug it back in, the box works for a few seconds then the power light begins to flash, then it shuts off. I tried moving it to different outlets, I reset my cable modem just for fun, but the behavior continues. So while it seemed like a promising new piece of technology, it's frustrating that it can't work. After doing some searching on the internet I saw a forum post on the spectrum cable forums. Dozens of people are reporting the same issue, basically the zumo powering off after a certain period of time! I also spoke with Xfinity support they went through some basic troubleshooting but couldn't resolve the issue. I have an appointment scheduled for a Comcast tech to come to my home and troubleshoot. in meantime I was thinking of just going back to the Xfinity store and getting a replacement stream box. But in reading the spectrum cable forum, people are saying that a replacement Xumo box did exactly the same thing! I was also told that this device is new for Xfinity and had only been out about a month according to the tech I spoke with on the phone. After all of this my question is are other people having the same issue and have you been able to resolve it?

7 months ago

Exactly same story. Disappointing

Official Employee

• 

756 Messages

@Andrerollguitar Can I ask that you reach out privately, so we can cover the details of your account. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

7 Messages

7 months ago

Exact same problem.  At my wits' end this morning after eleven tries.  Last tech I spoke to on the phone had such a thick accent, had a baby screaming in the background and kept laughing at my frustration.  Xfinity is so bad and this Xumo box made everything so much worse.

1 Message

7 months ago

The problem with mine is that it randomly switches to xfinity stream. They sent e tech, he replaced it, same thing. Xumo box is a nightmare.

Official Employee

• 

974 Messages

Hello @user_mfdrgl I'm sorry to hear your issues have returned. How much time passed between having the tech there and the issue retuning? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

7 months ago

I have the same issue this is my fifth xumo box. Customer service is nonexistent for reseting the box. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hello @user_3df08c, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.  I understand your concern with the Xumo box, and I'd like the opportunity to check into that for you.

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message

7 Messages

7 months ago

Xumo took 37 times to unplug and replug today before it stayed on.  Now, at 4 in the afternoon, it is playing audio from one channel with video from another.  It just flips back and forth, often playing two completely different audios simultaneously.  It's SO frustrating.

This comment has been converted into a post

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

7 months ago

If you have to reset your box and the remote is no longer working just hold it next to the xumo box and you should get instructions to reset the remote other wise you may have to scroll down to settings and do it there while the remote is held near the box

New Poster

• 

13 Messages

7 months ago

I too have the same behavior from a xumo box I just got 3 days ago via Xfinity. I'm thinking about going to Roku. I'm so fed up with xfinity garbage.

2 Messages

7 months ago

Super happy to find this thread—I’m at my wits end. I’m on my second xumo box and I can’t get the thing to turn on and stay on. Every time I call for support there is no solution except “we can send a technician,” followed by, “you should switch to our cell service.” You‘re joking.

I don’t want to unplug/reset the box every time I want to watch tv or fiddle around with the “button under the box and the home button”—I simply want to turn on the power and seamlessly (and immediately) watch something. This is not a huge ask. Never had this problem with the flex box—which I miss terribly (didn’t think I could get attached to inanimate tech, but here we are). What to do now?????

2 Messages

…Not to mention the mic feature has never worked on the xumo remote, either. First world problems, but still…

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us @ELZBTX! We regret to hear your second Xumo box is still having issues. Do you see an error code or message when the box doesn’t stay on? Does the box not register the voice button was pressed on the remote or does it misinterpret the voice command?

(edited)

New Poster

• 

13 Messages

7 months ago

Try this. So far after I took these exact steps, my box has stayed on a full week. Be careful turning your tv on while the xumo box is on. First, unplug xumo box AND your modem. Let sit 30 seconds. FIRST plug the modem back in. Give it a minute to activate. THEN plug the xumo box in. In a few minutes, USING THE XUMO REMOTE click the on button. BOTH XUMO AND TV SHOULD COME ON. Give them a minute to sync. Xumo should start at the main screen. From then on, start and stop both xumo and TV using the XUMO remote. I find if I do this and not turn on and off separately there have been no issues. But I have no need to turn my TV on and off separately . So as long as I turn both on and off together with the xumo remote only,  they work seamlessly. 

If you use your TV for other things, it gets out of sync with xumo. You have to go through the steps to sync them again. I put my Xfinity remote away because I only have xumo, so I don't want it messing with my setup. I've had XUMO working perfectly for me ever  since.

5 Messages

I just got my Xumo box yesterday and set it up. Watching Prime and it just kicks out in the middle of a show and goes to stream. I really appreciate detailed solutions like this to try - you would think xfinity would stop dodging the issue and offer something useful like this. I'm switching to Amazon Fire Stick, but am going to try this just to see if it works.

1 Message

6 months ago

Similar to other fixes regarding the remotes being out of sync with the TV… I found a solution using my TV’s remote and the XUMO remote “together”. 

Note: I have a Hisense Roku TV

My steps after my TV is on, but the XUMO box keeps crashing:

1) Turned my TV off with its own remote

2) Turned TV back on with its own remote

3)Turned my TV off by pressing power button on the XUMO remote

4)Turned my TV on with its own remote.

5) Switched to the correct input for the Xumo box (HDMI 1 for me) using the TV remote

After switching to the HDMI input on the TV connected to the Xumo box, everything worked again. I’m still watching a show so I have not turned the TV or XUMO off again to see if this is a “long term” fix. If I don’t reply to this, that means it has kept working and I didn’t have to go through the process again.

Hope this works for y’all!

5 Messages

I just got my Xumo box yesterday and set it up. Watching Prime and it just kicks out in the middle of a show and goes to stream. I really appreciate detailed solutions like this to try - you would think xfinity would stop dodging the issue and offer something useful like this. I'm switching to Amazon Fire Stick, but am going to try this just to see if it works.

1 Message

6 months ago

ALL OF MINE THAT I BROUGHT HOME SHUT OFF [Edited: Language].

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

903 Messages

Hi there @Mz.Eliano ! That should not be the case, let's see what we can do to get them working!  Could you let me know what happens right now when you try to power them on? 

4 Messages

6 months ago

I am having the same issue, especially when trying to power the box on.  It's a piece of junk.  I am so tired of dealing with the xumo box.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

6 months ago

The exact same problem no fix as of this time.

4 Messages

The tech just updated my boot file.exe and it's working.

2 Messages

6 months ago

Without doubt the worst customer service I have every experienced. Same issues as everyone else on this thread and the responses from the "official employees" are a complete JOKE...

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Burgie1963, We would be happy to assist you. Are you getting any kind of error code when this happens?

4 Messages

6 months ago

And please stop asking me to switch my cell carrier!  I have enough issues with Xfinity.  I am definitely not adding more.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here